The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Jump the Shark

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Jump the Shark

Floppy discs, romantic tension, 8-bit references and metalheads, just a few of the obstacles developers have to overcome on a daily basis. How the hell does it get done?

Well, plug in your montage machines, and dive in with Jump the Shark!

Watch Video

Wow, you really do have to dig to find these threads. Still, hope to hear what people think sometime.

Good luck.

Edit: Since we're here, I just wanted to clear up our general direction with this series, so as to hope to answer some questions. Mainly, where we go from here. And what our favourite fastfood outlet is.

Basically, we hope to combine the characters' insane struggle to make a game to beat the competition with the absurdity of a world where everything is pushed to it's stereotypical limit. The other development studios are all major players in the series expansion, with each of them having different yet ridiculous interactions with the Jump the Shark characters.

We have major plans for the series (more than just SHOE!) and hopefully this clears up some lingering questions, that it's just unmotivated, struggling developers, in a world where things make little sense, and everyone else seems to be a douche.

Also, I much like KFC.

From a completely impartial perspective, this is my favourite so far.

Not like I'm the co-director, or anything, of course.

There are parts that probably could have been edited out or cleaned up a bit because some of it was confusing BUT I love this video. SHOOOOOOE!

Fantastic video. Well thought out and brilliantly edited. Once you get passed the guy talking at the begining it really picks up with some amusing moments.

I can imagine this to be a parody of their own attempts to win this competition. Sorry if this wasnt the way to interpret this but thats the way i saw it.

STAPLE KING!!!

I will be voting for this one. Well done guys.

From an actual impartial view, this does look very promising.

Though you may have taken a few queues from other series which have been on this site in particular (*ahem* Doomsday Arcade) this is by no means a bad thing. In fact it's a very good thing, this sort of entertainment works, is original in how it's stylized and stylish in how it's presented. Good luck for this year, you have a lot of good competition but you also have a good chance too.

P.S. Don't let Shoe get too repeated. It's awesome, but still. T-shirt catchphrases aren't often repeated. They're on T-shirts and make lots of money.

Gotta say, great video. I think it's been said before, but...

SHOOOOOOE!

I think the success of this video depends of how much people like SHOOOOOOOOE! What that says about the video, I have no clue.

One of the things I'd like to see is a different take on the underdog story. I'll look forward to future episodes.

As in the inventor of SHOE! I would just like to say.. SHOOOOE!

Thanks for all the support filled support guys. We have some relatively sized plans for the Jump the Shark guys... and more than just Shoe. Probably.

No really, I'm glad to hear you like it, hopefully we'll get more feedback from it all.

SniperMacFox:
P.S. Don't let Shoe get too repeated. It's awesome, but still. T-shirt catchphrases aren't often repeated. They're on T-shirts and make lots of money.

Now that sounds like a t-shirt slogan. Honest to god I promise if we get this commissioned someone will wear a T-shirt with that on it; and maybe a guy holding massive money bags on the back.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure I'd say this is the funniest video, but I liked it and it's the one I could see working the best as a series. Just don't overuse shoe too much. No matter how awesome it is.

SniperMacFox:
Though you may have taken a few queues from other series which have been on this site in particular (*ahem* Doomsday Arcade)...

Really? They didn't seem remotely alike to me.

Great delivery on the jokes.
Especially "cuppa tea".
And lest we forget "SHOOOOE".

SHHOOOOOE!!

It is good start. I liked it.

SniperMacFox:

Though you may have taken a few queues from other series which have been on this site in particular (*ahem* Doomsday Arcade)

It was nothing like Doomsday Arcade. I would like to know how you make that relation.

Wow this is really good, but it could have been better.
I was expecting greatness and all I got was a well edited, perfectly timed comedy about something I would genuinely watch.
So yeah, screw you Max and Harry.

Can I just say that you guys remind me of the Michael Shanks and Michael Lund who won a couple years back, becuase your show is AWESOME! Loved it, hope you guys win!

It's the accents, these guys are English and the accent for NZ is kinda english. Only similarity so far, apart from it being awesome.

This one made me smile! Which is a lot more than the last one I watched did for me.... *represses memory of Nintendobo*

Roamin11:
This one made me smile! Which is a lot more than the last one I watched did for me.... *represses memory of Nintendobo*

Oh god don't even remind me of Nintendobo, I resorted to drinking after watching it.

Hello Neghbour! im from the video on your left. YOURS IS SICK!!! i spent all of yesterday thinking ohh, tales from the table is the best and so on but your is soo good. the production quality is a little less apealing than their's but i mean theyre old and they have a massive team. you managed to acheive 3 quarters of their overall look with (what im guessing) is a much smaller, much younger team.
Also... 10 times funnier than theirs haha SHOEEEEEE! that was literaly the phrase of the day for me and my freinds.

I HOPE YOU WIN. (unless I do... but... mines crap so. lol ^_^)

I like the looks of this video, it seems as if you've put some real work into it.

I'd be looking forward to more in the future.

Thanks for the feedback my fellow fellows, it's all appreciated. Except the negatives, we're blocking that out.

Oh I kid, but really we're taking it all in and can't wait to hear the results, we really want to expand upon this. To be fair we wouldn't have entered if we didn't want to I guess... would've kinda defeated the object.

Thanks again!

NinjaTigerXIII:
Can I just say that you guys remind me of the Michael Shanks and Michael Lund who won a couple years back, becuase your show is AWESOME! Loved it, hope you guys win!

Being compared to Michael Shanks is indeed an honour. Scarily so. I asked "the man upstairs" for a Shanks action figure for Christmas one year, but nothing happened.

jwjh:
Hello Neghbour! im from the video on your left. YOURS IS SICK!!! i spent all of yesterday thinking ohh, tales from the table is the best and so on but your is soo good. the production quality is a little less apealing than their's but i mean theyre old and they have a massive team. you managed to acheive 3 quarters of their overall look with (what im guessing) is a much smaller, much younger team.
Also... 10 times funnier than theirs haha SHOEEEEEE! that was literaly the phrase of the day for me and my freinds.

I HOPE YOU WIN. (unless I do... but... mines crap so. lol ^_^)

Thanks "neighbourino", I'm glad to hear you liked it. I'm not sure we intended SHOE! to get that big but feel free to play it among your friends, unlike conventional shows, we applaud viewers trying stunts at home, after all, aha.

And I must say I'm glad to have such an "artsy" neighbour. Aha, I enjoyed your video also, I've watched one too many a Garden State not to appreciate something poking fun at artsy films! Hope you guys do well!

You have an interesting chemistry and the jokes were solid, but there were a couple problems: 1) Too much downtime in the beginning with them watching that video and 2) It's not entirely clear what your premise is. Are they going to continue to try to develop a game and fail miserably?

Overall, I did enjoy this though. Keep up the good work.

jwjh:
Hello Neghbour! im from the video on your left.

Just watched Provident Punt, DOUBLE-SICK man. Loved the "what the dick" sequence, literally lol'd. Did you shoot on DSLR?

could have been better. but so far i place this 2nd best

Freebird.:
Really? They didn't seem remotely alike to me.

By that I don't mean the storyline, that's completely original and what gives the show it's spark. I was talking about the shot filming styles and editing.

Seems fun and random. You've definitely done a great job of establishing the characters and the beginning of the story. The editing was well done as well; the segment with the three bars separating the characters was a nice touch.

Long story short: I'd watch this.

Perhaps there is an interesting idea that can be salvaged out of this, and there is the potential for lots and lots of interesting, varied characters (in the form of the rival indie game members), but so far the show is seriously lacking in the funnys. It needed editing have down, and it could have found a better more funny way to introduce the premise (that they have to make an indie game). The SHOE was the funniest part, but that isn't honestly saying much (I didn't even crack a smile throughout).

Sorry guys, I wouldn't watch this unless I happened to want something to complain about.

Well, you've certainly got a catchphrase already...SHOOOE!

@Sporky111 You brought a tear to my eye.
@maninahat You also brought a tear to my eye.

:(

loljk etc. Constructive feedback is much more fun than hate-mail. Thanks for the comments guys, positive and negative.

The introduction to the premise was... a little awkward. ITs a good skeleton idea, it just needs development I feel. Also you didnt connect the idea that those other development studios... were other development studios.

Saying that, compared to some of the other submissions this is like God.

I liked the little graphics though... they were kinda cool.

Good concept, and definitely has the potential to be something really awesome.

We had a 20 man game of "Shoe!" today, twas rather epic

VictoryBoogie:

jwjh:
Hello Neghbour! im from the video on your left.

Just watched Provident Punt, DOUBLE-SICK man. Loved the "what the dick" sequence, literally lol'd. Did you shoot on DSLR?

thanks, i was worried about that scene because of the sound problems :S.
i wish i had filmed on DSLR, i would have gotten a much better focal distance look. i use the panasonic sd700 :)

I have to admit Jack, our game of Shoe! was intense.

jwjh:
We had a 20 man game of "Shoe!" today, twas rather epic

Christ, I'm feeling some sort of in-character instructional video coming on. It's far more intricate than you'd think, you know.

jwjh:
thanks, i was worried about that scene because of the sound problems :S.
i wish i had filmed on DSLR, i would have gotten a much better focal distance look. i use the panasonic sd700 :)

Fine choice of camera man, besides, it's not the glass, it's what you do with it. As proved time and time again by Doomsday Arcade and Good Knight's Quest.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here