The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Requiem For A Gamer

Requiem For A Gamer

Videogames have been deemed illegal by a new Constitutional amendment. Law enforcement agency's have started cracking down on people owning or using this mind altering gear. In spite of this new videogame prohibition, a small organization starts to fabricate and sell these products to anyone looking to score a good Title, all while trying to avoid getting caught by authorities.

Watch Video

Needs volume tune up. I can hardly hear what they are saying.

Tharticus:
Needs volume tune up. I can hardly hear what they are saying.

Thank you for the input and thanks for watching it!

Well, I enjoyed this one for the most part. Once I figured out the Faux news screw ups were intentional, I did enjoy it and chuckled at your jabs. The only thing that annoyed me was the poor green-screen job, but I'm not a graphics snob so I can forgive you for that.
I was pulled out of it, though, by the shouting black/chinese/whatever kid. In hindsight, I'm guessing that Faux News picked him out on purpose because he was rude and loud and obnoxious, but honestly, he was so loud I actually recoiled and flailed for the mute button. He really broke my amusment.
Also, it's easy as frell to make fun of Fox News. LRR actually already beat you to it, and with that exact argument: http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/302/Max-Effect

After that, as it eased back into sane sound levels of people who aren't over-the-top in a painful way, I went back to enjoying it. The "come with me if you want to live" bit made me laugh, and I loved the Zelda refrence.

Great job, guys, and good luck. ^^

Thanks for the review, and thanks for watching!

You had an original idea! The first part where they were on the news the girls and Mark should have learned their lines and been able to recite them without having to read them, and something was off between them and the background. After the t.v. part the rest was filmed well, and really the only thing that went wrong was everyone knowing their lines, and saying them with conviction. Make it believable! More action, and some background music feel leading up to the scenes would help a lot! You had an original idea and are off to a good start, but make it real! Look forward to seeing you next year!

Yeah I agree with you 100%. We will fix those mistakes in the future. Thanks for watching, and thanks for the input!

The news section was kind of alienating because of the acting and the green screen job. For the comedic bits, what sells it the best is making it seem like a legit program. See any episode of ENN if you want to see what I'm talking about. As for the green screening, what did you guys use exactly? I can link you to a good tutorial if you need help figuring out how to make that work.

The biggest issue though is that it wasn't entirely clear what your premise was. It seems like you want to be a webshow with a message like Extra Credits but with comedy thrown in, but how exactly would you present each episode?

A nice (first?) attempt. Obviously there were some glaring flaws such as the Leslie(?) giggling in the shot, people reading their lines, rough editing, the strange greyish foreground on the actors in the news room and so on. But, i appreciated the jokes and i actually enjoyed the satire on BOTH the anti video game people and the gamers themselves. The guy who played Mark Chong was the best actor of the lot. He may have squealed a bit too high, but he hammed it up so much that the satire of gamers who instantly go 'OMFG GAMES ARE NOT CONTROVERSIAL' was really well done and genuinely funny. The Zelda reference worked well and i liked how one of the guys at the end said "shh, my babies..." in the crazy obsessive way that again, gamers are often stereotyped to be. However there was a use of a deus ex machina in not really explaining who any of the three characters were in the end, why that guy in a suit visited them and so on. It seemed to end on a cliffhanger though so if it's a long running series with a plot i'm sure it will all be explained in future episodes.

Wolfenbarg:
The news section was kind of alienating because of the acting and the green screen job. For the comedic bits, what sells it the best is making it seem like a legit program. See any episode of ENN if you want to see what I'm talking about. As for the green screening, what did you guys use exactly? I can link you to a good tutorial if you need help figuring out how to make that work.

The biggest issue though is that it wasn't entirely clear what your premise was. It seems like you want to be a webshow with a message like Extra Credits but with comedy thrown in, but how exactly would you present each episode?

The premise i got from it was that those three guys will go around the country selling video games illegally and trying to get them un-banned, while being chased by the cops and possibly even shadow governments who are trying to maintain the ban resulting in a bunch of humorous shenanigans. Almost something like Doomsday Arcade, but about a real government rather than a virtual one that comes to the real world, although i am probably wrong. That's just what i took from it.

The premise is cool, but the "bad" acting needed to be more obvious. Also, the lighting needs work and some of the gags are overdone. Still, good job, I'd like to see more.

Gralian:

Wolfenbarg:

The premise i got from it was that those three guys will go around the country selling video games illegally and trying to get them un-banned, while being chased by the cops and possibly even shadow governments who are trying to maintain the ban resulting in a bunch of humorous shenanigans. Almost something like Doomsday Arcade, but about a real government rather than a virtual one that comes to the real world, although i am probably wrong. That's just what i took from it.

Did you talk to the guy who wrote the script? Because I'm pretty sure you nailed that 100% on the dot without even trying. Hats off to you sir. And yes we only had a total of about 5 hours spent over two days. I'll post a link to our greenscreen setup. We made a video after we filmed. The greenscreen guy only had one day notice to figure out how to do it. But yeah if we don't get picked up which most likely we won't, we are going to re-record it. But thank you for watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ35E70Ly9A
there's the link. But yeah we will also be continuing this series regardless. We just thought this would be a great chance to get our name out there. If we were allowed a few more minutes We could have added enough. But I think for just two days it was pretty solid. Thanks again for taking the time to watch and comment on the video!

WinstonJEC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ35E70Ly9A
there's the link. But yeah we will also be continuing this series regardless. We just thought this would be a great chance to get our name out there. If we were allowed a few more minutes We could have added enough. But I think for just two days it was pretty solid. Thanks again for taking the time to watch and comment on the video!

Oh how I love our jank green screen.

Yeah, no kidding. Remember everyone if you enjoyed ours then vote every day! We will be re-doing our first episode so that when we start this we are as perfect as can be. Definitely will be spending more time on the news section.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here