Vote Now for Film Fest's Viewer's Choice

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Vote Now for Film Fest's Viewer's Choice

Welcome to the 4th Annual The Escapist Film Festival Viewer's Choice. You can now view all of this years entries and vote for your favorites daily!

Voting is now open for the Film Festival Viewer's Choice! To vote for your favorite, simply click on the video of your choice and click on the "vote" button below the player.

When voting, you will notice the exciting new dynamic to Film Fest called First Cut - a group of videos highlighted due to the quality of their production, writing and creative ideas. These videos will also feature commentary from a panel of esteemed critics.

The panel of critics are:
Graham Stark, LRR & winner of Film Festival Grand Prize, 2008
Paul Saunders, LRR & winner of Film Festival Grand Prize, 2008
Michael Shanks, winner of Film Festival Grand Prize, 2008
Bob "MovieBob" Chipman
Jon Etheridge, Doraleous & Associates
Brent Triplett, Doraleous & Associates
Tony Schnur, Doraleous & Associates
Nate Panning, Doraleous & Associates

Voting will be open through November 8th, so tell your friends, get your votes in and help your favorite win bragging rights throughout the web video community!

The guys behind D& A are gonna critique our things? Awesome! I hope those guys enjoy my cartoon to some extent! (Mines No 27, Or Page 2, Row 2, Column 3)

Wow! That's a crépe load of entires!
Will take a long time to watch them all... Hopefully we get another good series out of this. TBH, A Good Knight's Quest and most other entries were a bit disappointing last year.

What is the indicator as to what is a First Cut video?

Wow...that's a lot to watch...

O dear scrolling through the screengrabs did not yield much hope. I predict much failing. Some looked like they at least had a decent camera though so maybe a doomsday arcade quality will pop up from the presumed trash heap.

ALso first cut I saw no indication...

Certainly the most professional looking batch yet, but not many which I genuinely enjoyed enough to keep coming back to.

That said, the third video on the first page has potential, and the Medusa joke in the 16th one on the 2nd page made me laugh.

As a side note: Any chance you guys could add some names to the videos on the list to make it a bit easier to discuss them? "3rd page, 2nd column, 5th row" gets a bit cumbersome.

So... many... I'll probably have to go by the thumbnails before watching. I know that isn't really fair but dam, it's a video avalanche.

Sweet, I hope there's some pure gold to be found !
And also, quite an awesome bunch of critics you got there. Good to see Shanks there.

EDIT: also, are we supposed to talk about the videos here or some other thread or just stfu and vote?

So far, Trailer Master (4th thumbnail in the first row of the first page) had promise at it's end (where he breaks down the details of the game, as well as talks about the trailer as a whole), but was a rather weak version of Unskippable otherwise (one guy doing a sort of Let's Play voiceover for a trailer doesn't compare to 2 of LRR's cast going over an opening cutscene).
-Yay or nay? Nay. Sadly, it looks like this is too close to unskippable, with a lot less of the fun. Plus it's about trailers rather than cutscenes, meaning you'll actually be more likely to pay attention to the trailer than the voice (especially since his voice is too soft in some scenes). The attempts at humor were lacking somewhat, and he just seemed a bit halfhearted in his voiceover, letting the trailer do a lot of the work here. His almost Extra Credits-like breakdown at the end would be nice to see more of, but it seems a bit too short to really matter. He could probably do a lot better with practice as well as maybe another person or more interesting research, as giving out tidbits about games is a great idea for these videos, but for right now, he doesn't bring anything fresh enough or funny enough for me to give this a recommendation.

Yes, I probably will be going through as many videos as I can in future edits of this post.

Anyone know when we'll be seeing the 'first cut' feature, or where it will be?

I really really hope they do mine :D

Lords Graham and Paul of Funnyshire are gonna be judging? Ooooh im honored!
And the Doraleous guys too? Damned that's a quality judging panel.

Damn, I knew we shouldn't have ripped on Graham in our video. At least we toned it down a bit from the original cut...

Oh gods, there are millions of them. I'm not sure I'll be able to actually watch all of them before then end >_>

Check us out! Second vid, first column, second page. Also, does not being in first cut mean anything?

They've been updating the videos throughout the day so keep checking back on new things. Such as the first cut had just popped up.

The First Cut banners have appeared but on all of the videos on the 1st page, and there doesn't seem to be any commentary available. I guess they're just testing it?

They haven't even been up a whole day yet, so it might just be they haven't had time to do it yet.

Also, yay for making First Cut!

Right now "First Cut" doesn't seem to mean much of anything. You might actually want to start from the back. (Full disclosure - my entry is on page 3 right now ("Understanding the EULA"), so obviously I have a vested interest in saying as much.)

First impressions:

"Creature Capture Masters" has very nice production values and is the only one so far to actually make me laugh aloud.

"Nintendobo", like last year, is weirdly fascinating, but I suspect as an ongoing premise runs the risk of increasing the drug use and suicide rate among viewers of the Escapist.

"Trailer Master" is very similar to "Unskippable", only not as funny. Also, it doesn't quite seem to recognize that the creators of the trailer are perfectly aware of the silliness of the "chicken as rebel hero" metaphor.

"Opinionated Reviews" is long on complaints and short on specific reasons for those complaints. With some polish it has potential; as it stands I wouldn't feel a strong impulse to tune in weekly or monthly to hear someone say things are awful. I have plenty of friends I can turn to for that.

"Tales From the Table" got a few smiles, but the "Role-Playing gamers are a bunch of socially retarded nerds" schtick is getting a little old. Well-shot, acted, and edited, though.

"Game Science" seems like a decent premise, but the script never really "clicked" for me. Some smiles, but nothing that astounded me with its cleverness.

"We Find this Funny"... I'm so happy for you. It's nice that you enjoy spending time with your friends. *Ahem* Moving on...

"The Equation" has decent production values and an interesting visual style, but it's a little rough and the audio needs work. It doesn't seem to have offered up enough to give the viewer a good sense of what the rest of it might be like; it's like its needlessly vague for the sake of not spoiling future episodes that may never arrive.

Care to comment on mine? :) would appreciate some feedback

I can't wait until we actually know what First Cut means. Ambiguity will be the death of me.

Aw man... Mine didn't make it first cut. Now i feel stupid. Ok, I was feeling stupid before, now I feel REALLY stupid.

It'd be good to know about this first cut thing before I spammed all my friends to vote for my video, though.

fully watched first page.
many good entries..unlike last year which there was about what 2 or 3 good ones..
anyhow..
here is my favs so far (of which i will vote for the viewers choice)..
Creature caster masters-Love it..good art,fun jokes... like the way they handled the yu gi and pokemon references

Game Science - Good idea and was implemented good too

Pro Gamer Gauntlet - love it ..specially the acting..hats off to the retro master

Tales from the tables - Soo much better from 'i hit it with my axe' nuff said

Carmen 1.0 - good premise acting and implementation was good though the postman was bit off

Radio game theatre - "We Got PILLS" nuff said /best of the bunch/ though the actual video needs some action

Show about Games show - pretty fun with non-sensical humor.

I sincerely hope that one of you guys will win :)

Wa wa waaaaaa.
I added the firstcut div tag to my entry in google Chrome's inspect elements.
Made the first cut ribbon appear on mine. On my computer only.
Sad panda is... well kinda pathetic.

Callate:
First impressions:

"Creature Capture Masters" has very nice production values and is the only one so far to actually make me laugh aloud.

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it.

Oh, and that's really awesome that you guys thought my video was good enough to make first cut! I am really excited to have my video be judged by that list.

Only suggestion I have about the film festival is link to the thread for the video on the video page, I had to go hunting in the forums just to find mine.

I'm very grateful for the First Cut thing. Seems that the idea there was, they know most people voting aren't going to be able to watch every single video submitted. So if they just put all the videos up in no order, people would watch a few of them, and then just vote for the best one out of the ones they saw, which considering the amount of entries would probably be nowhere near the best.

So to make a good video more likely to be chosen, the judging panel, which HAS watched every single video that was submitted, did us the favor of putting the videos they think are most worth watching on the first page.

And I have to say, good riddance. I watched all of the videos on the first page and there are some truly decent videos, and some subpar ones, and maybe a couple that weren't very good at all. But dear lord, venturing away from the first page of entries was a mistake. I watched a few from other pages and GOOD LORD it is a wasteland of pointless and horrible submissions. That's not to say all of them are, there are a good deal of okay ones in there, even one or two that I personally would have put on the first page over some that the judges chose...and of course I haven't yet seen all of them. But most of the videos that didn't make the first page that I saw were a complete waste of time.

In any case, from the first page my favorites are: Tales From The Table, Carmen 1.0, Breaking Blizzard, and Show About Games Show. Have voted for all four of them today, and will probably continue to vote for all four in the coming days. I may get more picky as we near the 8th though.

Edit: By the way, word of advice for everybody who submitted a video: the number one thing that can break a video is the audio. If it's difficult to hear what the people in your video are saying, your video is just about done for.

JoshTheater:
I'm very grateful for the First Cut thing. Seems that the idea there was, they know most people voting aren't going to be able to watch every single video submitted. So if they just put all the videos up in no order, people would watch a few of them, and then just vote for the best one out of the ones they saw, which considering the amount of entries would probably be nowhere near the best.

So to make a good video more likely to be chosen, the judging panel, which HAS watched every single video that was submitted, did us the favor of putting the videos they think are most worth watching on the first page.

And I have to say, good riddance. I watched all of the videos on the first page and there are some truly decent videos, and some subpar ones, and maybe a couple that weren't very good at all. But dear lord, venturing away from the first page of entries was a mistake. I watched a few from other pages and GOOD LORD it is a wasteland of pointless and horrible submissions. That's not to say all of them are, there are a few okay ones in there, and of course I haven't yet seen all of them so there might be a few gems. But by far, most of the videos that didn't make the first page that I saw were a waste of time.

In any case, from the first page my favorites are: Tales From The Table, Carmen 1.0, Breaking Blizzard, and Show About Games Show. Have voted for all four of them today, and will probably continue to vote for all four in the coming days. I may get more picky as we near the 8th though.

I'm mostly in agreement with you...though I implore you to check out my submission (Sunder). I don't want to promote it or make other videos sound bad...but...I think it deserved a spot on the first page based on story, acting, directing, editing, fx, writing, original music...pretty much everything except the fact that it doesn't DIRECTLY relate to video games themselves--though you could say the same for about 5 of the top 20 and 3 shows on The Escapist

I liked zebra santa and other people to, although it was the only one I watched, there are to many!

I'm feeling like I give too many shows the vote.
Or there are just a lot of good shows.
Dammit, there's no way in hell I'll be able to watch all of them...

So if the videos are supposed to be shuffled why are all the first cuts on the first page? There are some on there that don't really demonstrate the criteria (no offense) and quite a few on the later pages that do.

JoshTheater:

And I have to say, good riddance. I watched all of the videos on the first page and there are some truly decent videos, and some subpar ones, and maybe a couple that weren't very good at all. But dear lord, venturing away from the first page of entries was a mistake. I watched a few from other pages and GOOD LORD it is a wasteland of pointless and horrible submissions. That's not to say all of them are, there are a good deal of okay ones in there, even one or two that I personally would have put on the first page over some that the judges chose...and of course I haven't yet seen all of them. But most of the videos that didn't make the first page that I saw were a complete waste of time.

Edit: By the way, word of advice for everybody who submitted a video: the number one thing that can break a video is the audio. If it's difficult to hear what the people in your video are saying, your video is just about done for.

I guess the sound thing applies to my video (not gonna say it's the only deal breaker there - I liked the result a lot, of course, but I'm too close to it to have a clear view) but I really didn't have the money to buy a better mic. When you live in a third world country, are up to your neck in debt and your dog has a skin disease, you HAVE to choose the 6 dollar* mic over the 9 dollar mic. Not asking for condescension (I'm still better off than the vast majority over here), it's just the way it is.

* We don't deal in dollars, obviously, I'm adjusting these values roughly for the exchange rate.

shadow946:
So if the videos are supposed to be shuffled why are all the first cuts on the first page? There are some on there that don't really demonstrate the criteria (no offense) and quite a few on the later pages that do.

I'm pretty sure that they're not in any way random. In fact, I think the entries are all ordered according to votes from the judges/critics. I'm just as surprised as you that I'm not on the leader board, though I do see where they could've marked me down for lack of relativity to video games.

Hi 5 for being officialy AWESOME!!! :)

JoshTheater:

It's a good theory, but I'm not immediately convinced that they watched every video. Perhaps there is room for adjustment if certain videos get a high audience reaction.

JoshTheater:

I agree, but that said, I'd imagine audio is one of the easier things to fix for future videos, and something that could be looked over if a video shows overall promise. It's more reasonable to say to someone "Fix your audio" as opposed to "Fix your plot".

imnotparanoid:
I liked zebra santa and other people to, although it was the only one I watched, there are to many!

Thanks imnotparanoid for the praise on my video "the adventures of zebra santa and sometimes other people too". Unfortunately we couldn't show more of Solid Snake and actually show how the character would act because 5 minutes is not enough time. We only had enough time to show Zebra Santa and Zombie Genghis Kahn.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here