Shamus Plays WoW #2: Toiling in the Kobold Mines

Pages PREV 1 2

Most of the stuff I tend to not think about since by now they pretty much count as MMORPG tropes/cliches.

Although asking those questions is hilarious.

Miral:

Galad:
I loved the conversation revolving around the demon's name :)

Yeah, but a real demon would never reveal his real name anyway. Although, presumably he'd have to know at least part of it to have summoned him in the first place. Isn't that the rules?

While I should note that this knowledge comes in spite of having never played the Pen and Paper game (in spite of owning several of the necessary tomes), in D&D you need not know the specific name of a demon in order to summon a demon. The name itself gives the one doing the summoning a greater degree of power in the ensuing negotiation and further grants the summoner the ability to summon a particular demon. Otherwise, you just summon a random demon from a given tier of the Demon social structure.

I'm sure other fantasy worlds have rules for Demon Summoning and all but D&D is the only one I know of off hand, mostly because I've never actually bothered reading the various rule books for other Fantasy RPGs.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here