Zero Punctuation: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

Watch Video

christ, talk about harshing on namco.

Great video, I was expecting this one!

The quest for more Steroids =D

Nice ending.

Never heard of this game before.

Ha that was funny. I still need to play Enslaved for myself but I can't be bothered with Halo: Reach sitting right there...

I'm glad he mention how this game was NOTHING RELATED TO JOURNEY TO THE WEST!!

Anyone wanna tell me why Western culture has this fascination with that story?

Leave that story to Damon Albarn, Ninja Theory...

Lovely review. This one actually got me to laugh, particularly with the "sucked off in a wind tunnel" line.

Well I thought Enslaved would be shit. I was right.

EDIT: Boogaboogaboogabooga!!!! 0_o ...... XD

Jesus, chill out.

xD Halo would probably benefit from being based on Pride and Predujic.. That.

I wonder what writers like that would think of games.

"The Platforming is linear to the point of being prohibitive." That's all I needed to hear. The only thing about Enslaved that had me interested from the beginning was the chance to really explore this massive apocalypse/nature re-imagining, and I suspected from gameplay videos that it wasn't likely that was going to happen. Then Yahtzee, who I know has a love for exploration given his previous statements, hits the final nail in the coffin. No Enslaved, I'm not going to buy you. I'm not going to rent you. Thank you, Yahtzee.

I bet this has thrown everyone in the UK who forgot about BST.

I've been looking forward to this all week, and now I fell ... a bit underwhelmed actualy.

I must admit that the review went pretty much the way I expected but the uncharacteristicly small number of curses, jokes at the game's expence, and general "Laugh My Ass Off" moments left me feeling a bit shorted. To me this seemed like he just kind of went through it just for the sake of getting it done.

isnt this video 1 hour early? still, great review, i lold at windtunnel.

After reading several reviews on this game Im not surprised at your response. Good review though.

Whatever happened to original ideas?

I like good sequels, reboots and reimaginings too but it's pretty clear the tank of good, appropriate ideas has run dry.

It's hard to tell a good game from a bad one with Yahtzee... I understand, that its not the goal in these ranting reviews, but maybe some kind of shitometer would be appropriate to tell is the game worth buying or not? For instance other reviews of C:LoS made me quite confident i wanna play it. And watching Yahtzee's episode about it i can really tell no difference in the attitude in comparison to this one.

Ironic.
This is the only week I said you probably wouldn't review this then you did.

Anyway, yeah, similar sentiments really.

Another thing that seemed off was the pacing. All up to the wind-farm seemed like the first act, but it ended up being the first two thirds of the whole game. It really rushed it after that.

Still fun though. I actually thought the combat was pretty intense.

That animation of your dick being a bit of a mess will haunt me for days, thanks Yahtzee.

Lmfao Oh man, I was rolling with this one. I'm in my College's library right now and getting funny looks as I try to hold back my laughter haha

I'd almost say this game is worse than Heavenly Sword; atleast there the combat was halfway decent.

With Enslaved the platforming aswell as the combat controls feel like a rusty doorknob.

Yep, great looking game that requires little skill to complete. I enjoyed the story as well until the ending kinda just gives up on you. With little chance for a sequel I really wished for more closure.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the pig.

AlissaX70:

It's the Eastern Bible with Martial Arts.

Why do you think Raptor Jesus exists?

lilmizzazle:
isnt this video 1 hour early? still, great review, i lold at windtunnel.

Daylight savings time, mate.

Hmm, well if he wants to play a game actually moreso based on "Journey to the West", I'd recommend... Saiyuki: Journey West, yeah... not the most original name I know.

Though, I wonder if he'd be able to last past the opening theme, it does have a rather creepy need to repeatedly state that Goku is indeed a "magic san/sun/son".

AlissaX70:

I think I have a good reason why that can be summed up in three simple letters: D-B-Z.

HEHE. Cheeky monkey.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the imps wearing the robot hats that were portraying the baddies. Good stuff.

haha, pretty much sums up all the bad things about Enslaved. I still liked it though because of characters including the oinker.

Funny review.

Game doesn't really stand out for me. But im surprised he didn't make anything of the fact that Andy Serkis was "Monkey's" voice.

But thats all ive seen about this game on the adverts. It just says voiced by Andy Serkis but doesn't tell us anything about the game...

That Noah's Ark game sounds awesome! lol

hahaahaahhaa still laughing from the Halo Pride and Prejudice bit

but now that he mentioned it...

AlissaX70:

My understanding of why its so popular is firstly, that its one of the most classic stories of Buddhism, and secondly that the 1970s Japanese TV show based on the story was both hilarious and awesome so people are trying to recapture that.

Personally, I think that unless a game about Monkey has the 70s theme tune, Monkey Magic, it can go to hell.

The_root_of_all_evil:
I bet this has thrown everyone in the UK who forgot about BST.

BST?

Actually a game really loosely based on Noah's Ark might be interesting. Like the world is dying for some reason and you have to create a base of genetic information that can be sent into space to start a new ecosystem elsewhere. There's not enough room for even a paltry number of people on the spaceship, though, so everyone is going to die, and they're probably cross about that. Oh, except maybe for Noah, since he has to tend the spaceship, but he built it and is the only one who can do it, so it's not selfishness. In fact, being the last human alive, hurtling through space (or shall he have some companions like in the Bible?) would be pretty lonely.

Theolos88:
It's hard to tell a good game from a bad one with Yahtzee... I understand, that its not the goal in these ranting reviews...

Kind of reaching for a facepalm macro here....I'll resist.

...but maybe some kind of shitometer would be appropriate to tell is the game worth buying or not?

It's kind of up to you to decide whether what he says adds up to the game having any interest for you. Try listening harder.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here