Zero Punctuation: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quite funny. Who is the person whose mug is frequently used in these Zero Punctuation videos? He appears at 0:33 in this one.

And here I was thinking you couldn't win me back.

bladeleaper:
That Noah's Ark game sounds awesome! lol

Fronzel:
Actually a game really loosely based on Noah's Ark might be interesting.

Unfortunately, a very, very similar game to Yahtzee's idea has been made, albeit horrible. It's even a shooter, but instead of Yahtzee's idea, you sling-shot food into the mouth of various animals. Terrible execution.

It's a lot worse than it sounds, and I know it doesn't sound that good.

Skip to 13:20 in this video for a quick review on it that sums up how much balls it sucks about as well as I could.

It could be pretty cool if Fronzel's idea became a game, even if only as backstory as to "why this game takes place so far away from earth" or something.

Anyway, great video by Yahtzee, laughed out loud in so many sections especially the "Well let's just forget about Journey to the West, because the developers did!"

Valiance:

bladeleaper:

Fronzel:

Unfortunately, a very, very similar game to Yahtzee's idea has been made, albeit horrible. It's even a shooter, but instead of Yahtzee's idea, you sling-shot food into the mouth of various animals. Terrible execution.

Skip to 13:20 in this video for a quick review on it that sums up how much balls it sucks about as well as I could.

It could be pretty cool if Fronzel's idea became a game, even if only as backstory as to "why this game takes place so far away from earth" or something.

Anyway, great video by Yahtzee, laughed out loud in so many sections especially the "Well let's just forget about Journey to the West, because the developers did!"

The Nerd did review a decent Noah's Arc game in this video at 3:40.

I think there's actually a lot of potential in games loosely based on literature. It hooks you with familiarity then does something different, plus it's a very different medium. Developers could actually work to their advantage the fact that everyone would already know the basic story; it puts focus on how the story gets to that point rather then where it is going. Some games do this with a flash-forward at the start of the game, like Halo: Reach and Conker's Bad Fur Day...although I think I'm reaching to say the latter had much of a story rather than a series of jokes. That Columbo TV show does it with crime mysteries, a genre that usually thrives on ,well, mystery.

I ordered this game on Amazon.com for $5 ($20 off for some promotion I had, $15 off for a promotion that's ending tonight).

Valiance:

bladeleaper:

Fronzel:

Ahhh i remember playing that one. lol

I guess loosely based is taking the names of characters and take like 1 trait and it would be "loosely based"...

Yah know...Enslaved is not without it's faults, but overall I enjoyed the game enough to finish it. It's by no means a bad game. At the very least rent it.

Hmm did'nt even touch the fact that the game can be beaten in like four hours.

Arkley:

Vault Citizen:
I played the level available in the demo version and after seeing Trip screw Monkey over two or three times and then force him to work for her just made me think "wow, what a bitch", does she get any better as the game progresses or is it just more of the same?

Trip gets a lot better as the game goes on, as does Monkey. Yahtzee pointed out many gameplay flaws in his video, and while he may have exaggerated the simplicity of combat a little (simply putting the game on hard mode solves most of his complaints and the various purchasable extra attacks add more strategy, though you still shouldn't expect Bayonetta/DMC/GoW's level of depth), he was largely right about most of them - particularly the funnelled, risk-free platforming.

However, it's the characters, their interactions, their incredible facial expression animation, the stellar writing and acting that make this game worth playing. The relationship between Monkey and Trip is constantly evolving, and is extremely believable. They're both highly likeable characters and they drive the game and their plot subtly and effectively. Unfortunately, you can't really get a feel for this in the demo, which only really demonstrates that the game is very pretty and the platforming is very guided.

If you're genuinely interested, I'd recommend you read a few other reviews which go into more detail about the characters. I realise Yahtzee's criticisms about the way their personalities switch around may have put you off, but I never saw anything that could be described that way in the game. The characters react appropriately and believably to their constantly changing surroundings and situations, and to eachother. In this respect, the game really is something very special. In fact, if I ever wanted to convince someone that video games are a legitimate medium for storytelling, this would be top of the list of games I would show them.

Trip - a likable character? Wat.

She's the worst videogame character in my opinion. She's constantly holding Monkey back, backstabs him, freaks out very easily, and most importantly - she does not take his headband off in spite of him proving that he won't abandon her (several times over). Heck, she could've at least programmed it so that he wouldn't die when she does. Hell - the whole slavery thing that she claims to fight is exactly what she's doing. There's simply no moral justification for the shit she does.

Moreover it wasn't even like he needed her help all that much. Of course, aside from the obvious 2-player puzzles, she was completely useless in combat. And, she wasn't that great a programmer either. Several of the devices/objects that she programs keep crapping out on you - the stage lights, the car, etc.

It's probably more inspired by Saiyuki with Tripatarka being a combination of the bitchy, rinking, gambling, chainsmoking, gay-magnet Sanzo the devil-may-care flirtatious hermaphrodite "goddess" Kanzeon Bosatsu, so if Monkey is Goku then he really does get off on being smacked around.

I actually didn't like this game at all. Even though it did have certain moments when it felt like Uncharted, area and storyline aside.

qdr:
Dear Yahtzee,
I'm writing this comment from a really distant place - Kazakhstan, Almaty.
I've been watching your game reviews for quite a while, ever since accidentally stumbling upon an article about you, full of LOVE at russian ED - lurkmore. I kinda find it a little bit hilarious that the big U.S.S Sellout you mentioned in one of your first vids gets a huge boner on you (various parodies in other Escapist series). The thing is, I'm sitting all alone, drinking me favorite Tullamore Dew, (hope you know what pure awesomeness it is) and I kinda thought - damn, I would really, really like to see you reviewing one of the most story-driven-shitty-gameplay game ever - Tim Cain's The Bards Tale. Seriously, if you never played it GO PIRATEBAY IT, NOW, AND DO A FUCKING REVIEW OF IT, LIKE NOW!!!

P.S.: On a side note, when is your Mog World be available to CIS or at least Europe\Russia.
P.S.S.: Please, Please let it be better, than "Yahtzee against the world, or how was that comic called"

You honestly just tell a writer for this site to illegally download a game?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here