Escape to the Movies: Four Lions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I must be a bad film major as this one totally missed even being a blip on my radar. I'll have to check it out. :) Thanks for the review Bob, keep 'em coming. While I don't always agree with you, I faithfully watch and respect your opinion. As any good critic should, you help me make decisions by informing me.

gibboss28:

D0WNT0WN:
It has Omid Djalli in it, he is my favorite comedian.

Im going to see it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, Omid Djalli isn't in this film. Regardless, go see it.

OT: I agree, good film.

I must be thinking of The Infidel it's another film that is a satire on a serious topic.

They both look brill anyway.

Time to google Honey Monster! My curiosity has been aroused. British humor is usually funny to me so I'll definitely try to check this one out.

The Honey Monster looks like a rejected Sesame Street character.

Wow, you guys in the states didn't get the honey monster?

I feel less pissed off about escapist contests only ever being open to residents of the USA now. I dunno how you guys have coped all these years.

Wait, it took you that long to get around to releasing in the States? I saw and reviewed this film for my local paper before summer.

Oh well it's good that you have because Chris Morris isn't shy to make humor out of something horrible AND pull it off. Case in point, a clip from Brass Eye, the show Bob quickly mentioned being a satirical jab at just how insane the mainstream media can be (the director of Four Lions is the "host"):

YAY Honey monster YAY

Let me get this straight

A comedy about a very dark subject
The Honey Monster
Omid Djalili
Sheffield accents
Blowing up sheep
Accurate portrayal of the inherent ignorance and stupidity in Al-Qaeda

...THIS MUST BE SEEN

Ah, to be British and to have already seen the film, bought the DVD and had it thoroughly discussed on every major news programme. You Americans, so behind the times. And you don't know who the Honey Monster is! Next you'll be telling me you don't know who Frankie Boyle is, or Harry Hill!

But yeah, it's a funny but edgy film.

Yeah 10$ say that some conservative d-bag finds out what this is about and they have a huge media uproar, sounds promising though, might get it on DVD.

Wow I saw this a year ago and loved it

NO idea how a non Brit would understand a third of the jokes though.

Seriously, the amount of fantastic quotes this film has is staggering, it;s almost on Monty Python film level. Great example:-

Waj: What's what all these weird rabbits man?
Omar: What're you on about, they're chickens.
Waj: No man, they're rabbits.
Omar: No, they're chickens.
Waj: No, they're rabbits.
Omar: No, they're chickens, look at their ears.
Waj: That's what I'm sayin' man.

EDIT: And that's not Omid Djalili in there. He's an inept white guy who supposedly converts to Islam.

Aiddon:
one thing I always find funny is how people think comedians aren't being serious with their material. Like how so many people on the Escapist think Yahtzee's reviews aren't "real" reviews because he's being funny about it

I think that mostly comes from the fact that, in order to have comedy, usually the facts need to be stretched a bit to fit the goal you're aimming for. Case in point is something like gonzo journalism, which is excellent literature that analyzes the state in terms that even a redneck could understand, but blows things out of proportion in order to gain a comedic effect. Same thing with Colbert and Stewart, one can say they're mocking American politics, but watch their shows. Stewart's got a pretty clear liberal bias, and Colbert hints at moderatism everytime he gets, but everytime they try to bring those politics directly out on the show, it makes them appear less funny. Basically, the use of comedy undermines your ability to be serious because it's too much of a tonal change between the two, that 'disconnected' element Moviebob discussed plays an important role in being able to view a piece both ways.

fanklok:

J03bot:
How have I not heard of this? I was semi-expecting a review of Let Me In, and then this rolls along? I am intrigued, and shall endeavour to see it.

And yes, the Honey Monster is awesome. As my Sugar Puffs T-shirt suggests.

But Let me in was released forever ago, I don't even think it's still in theaters.

What the hell is a honey monster

You're thinking of "Let the Right One in". Let Me In is the American remake of the Swedish film, and was released 1st of October, this year.

And I want to see this movie. I'm rather open about whats humorous to me, and all that matters really is how well its handled. Even a horrible, bad joke can crack someone up with the right timing and delivery.

I wanted to see it when it came out in the UK not no cinema near me showed it.

I may check this out. It sure seems a bold move to take.

Also CROWSPLOSION!!!

So this movie is fine but MoH can't have the "taliban" in their game.

Aiddon:
one thing I always find funny is how people think comedians aren't being serious with their material. Like how so many people on the Escapist think Yahtzee's reviews aren't "real" reviews because he's being funny about it

Sorry to say, but his videos aren't reviews, not because he's being funny about it, but because they just plain aren't. He's a critic. His whole shtick is to make fun of as much of the game as he can, no matter how exaggerated, shallow, or wrong the comment is. He isn't supposed to say its good, or you should play it, or not, he's only supposed to dig into as much of it as he can in the short period of time he has (I.E the 3hrs of playtime in Demons Souls, or the obvious lack of progression he made in Valk Chronicles).

AC10:
So this movie is fine but MoH can't have the "taliban" in their game.

That's the joy of American common sense for ya. TV and Film good, game baaaaaad.

This film is 12 kinds of politically incorrect...

Sounds awesome.

One of the best English comedies to come out in years, but then Chris Morris is brilliant.
Bob's review hits the nail on the head.

Scrumpmonkey:
Chris Morris is proabaly more infamous for his cutting and almost painfully funny ataire of the media hyseria over pedophiles thus really esposing who really lacked a sense of humor.

Thats the kind of comment that leaves you quadraspazzed on a life-glug after a stairwell nonce-bashing :)

Stabby Joe:
Wait, it took you that long to get around to releasing in the States? I saw and reviewed this film for my local paper before summer.

Oh well it's good that you have because Chris Morris isn't shy to make humor out of something horrible AND pull it off. Case in point, a clip from Brass Eye, the show Bob quickly mentioned being a satirical jab at just how insane the mainstream media can be (the director of Four Lions is the "host"):

This one too

God damn I want some honey puffs now.

Sheffield ftw! Big up S11 crew! brap brap brap!

Funny film, but inconsistent.

The third act absolutely tries to make us sympathize with them, which just doesn't fly

Looks fun, watching that crow bomb was awesome. This is the kind of movie that would make fresh all of the previous terrorist based movies. I agree, even with Hugo Weaving as "you know who" something can go wrong but we'll still have to see the Thor movie and hope that one doesn't suck as well.

Watched that last night, really interesting and had plenty of good laughs - it's the way to combat terrorism: remove the terror and make them a joke :D Worked for the UK back in WW2 ^_^

MovieBob:
Four Lions

This week MovieBob takes a look at Four Lions.

Watch Video

Man you are awesome for reviewing this movie. Hopefully it will reach a few more audiences this way.

I had never heard of this before. I'll have to see it!

I saw this back in May when it was released in the UK. I thought it was utterly brilliant: no complaints whatsoever on my part. There's a great scene when one of them has been stockpiling on hydrogen peroxide that still sticks in my mind in particular, but it was very funny in general with a lot of choice scenes.

Chris Morris is a great comedian and satirist in general: he had two particularly good tv series from a while back called 'That Was the Day That Was' and 'Brasseye' which I would also highly recommend watching if you ever get the opportunity.

I've been hearing about this movie for a while but I live in the U.S. and I can't find a good copy. I checked Amazon.com but the Blu-ray version is $50. Anyone know where I can find a cheap DVD of the movie?

cursedseishi:

fanklok:

J03bot:
How have I not heard of this? I was semi-expecting a review of Let Me In, and then this rolls along? I am intrigued, and shall endeavour to see it.

And yes, the Honey Monster is awesome. As my Sugar Puffs T-shirt suggests.

But Let me in was released forever ago, I don't even think it's still in theaters.

What the hell is a honey monster

You're thinking of "Let the Right One in". Let Me In is the American remake of the Swedish film, and was released 1st of October, this year.

And I want to see this movie. I'm rather open about whats humorous to me, and all that matters really is how well its handled. Even a horrible, bad joke can crack someone up with the right timing and delivery.

No I meant Let me in, as far as I'm concerned a month is a long ass time in the movie world. Upon checking my local Cinema's viewing time it's definitely not in theaters anymore. At least not here in the US clearly it is in the UK.

Lol was always wondering If movie bob would review this movie, nice to see british cinema going international

is this just out in america, its been on DVD here for like a year now

Jack and Calumon:
Finally, no more arguing, I was foolish to discuss politics outside of the Politics board which we could debate there.

It's a thread about a intentionally politically incorrect black comedy about terrorism, political bantering is to be expected, if not outright demanded.

RestamSalucard:

Jack and Calumon:
Finally, no more arguing, I was foolish to discuss politics outside of the Politics board which we could debate there.

It's a thread about a intentionally politically incorrect black comedy about terrorism, political bantering is to be expected, if not outright demanded.

But not about Fox Hunting, that's just going off topic.

Calumon: Red Leader standing...

Jack: Don't even think about it!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 59924)