Escape to the Movies: Four Lions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Hate to say it, but John Stewart and Stephen Colbert really are smug. I don't know what else you can say about two guys who run a "Sanity" rally, as if everyone else who dares to disagree with their point-of-view (and frankly I'm not really sure what their POV even is) is not sane, and THEN you go in there with no message, you fill your rally with potheads, and to top it off you have a performance by Cat Stevens, a zealot who wants to kill Salman Rushdie .

Oh, wait! Maybe that's supposed to be a joke! Stewart and Colbert presented themselves as sane... but they're not! Hahahaha, good one! Okay, I take that back, their sense of self-deprecating humor is REALLY witty.

As for the movie, it sounds like it could be fun and interesting to watch, but I fear it's only scraping the surface of the suicide bomber issue. Sure, a lot of them are idiots, but that's not always the case. Many of them are quite well educated. While technically not a suicide bomber, Major Nidal Malik Hasan was a psychiatrist in the Army. Is there an explanation for why someone like him who's reasonably intelligent and probably had things pretty good would suddenly go berserk and start slaughtering his own comrades? I have a feeling the answer to that question would be something people would rather not face.

Saw it cinema a few months ago in Ireland. Very funny movie. Go see it.

All of you.

The funnest part of this was the "they didn't make it during WWII".
Anyway sounds like a movie my sister would love.

archvile93:
I might see this movie. I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and that was British comedy.

that's like going to see the next "movie" movie because its an American movie, and dr. strangelove is a American movie.

Why did you did that Bob i F*cking loved your show ...

But no , I guess friends are right you americans don't show any sign of respect for history , yourself , or other People ... Here is why :

1- You are comparing WORLD WAR 2 to the Middle east american interventions ... You are comparing a slaughter of 65 million people to a conflict that merly killed what 3000 americans on a plane crash ?

So you are saying that the actual muslim extremists are comparable to Nazis ??

You american (and co.) killed at least 100 000 people in Irak ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Body_Count_project ), and you still think you are the good guys don't you ?

You f*ucking have nuclear bombs , neutron bomble , Intelligence , satellites, tanks ...
But nooooo poor americans , they must save the day as usual and blah blah blah .

Always bitching about other people ... Nazis , Russians , now muslims your existence have no sense if you don't grab your guns and go to save the world from the :

Bad terrorist or russian who is : dumb / Heartless / evil but never never fighting for his freedom .

Don't you see it : You are the fucking bad guys (almost)every fucking dictatorship on the planet , like in my country , in Tunisia is you Ally and we suffer from repression and deniel because of you .

YOU CREATE THE TERRORISTS , you and your companies ravage the world and let people hungry don't blame on them to become beasts .

P.S. : you know what ? What disgusts me the most is that you can't let people live in peace ... Arabs and muslims once belived in you and fought on your side during world war 2 , if you know french watch "indigènes" ... C'est un film qui parle de notre souffrance . And don't forget once turned in a beast after seeing his nation raveged a no matter it origin a man will ask for vengeance god have mercy on you american ... because the dead do not forgive

Kaher:

Blah Blah Blah
B*tch, whine, b*tch, whine.
Dial angst up to 11 and get off on trying to be a victim.

Cry me a river kiddo.

Anyway, now that the little kid issue has been dealt with:

I wasn't offended by the movie. Had no reason to be.
That said, I didn't find the comedy very funny. Chuckled when the sheep were bombed and when the crow blew up.

Definitely interested.
That honey monster thing looks scary as fuck....

Kaher:
Why did you did that Bob i F*cking loved your show ...

But no , I guess friends are right you americans don't show any sign of respect for history , yourself , or other People ... Here is why :

1- You are comparing WORLD WAR 2 to the Middle east american interventions ... You are comparing a slaughter of 65 million people to a conflict that merly killed what 3000 americans on a plane crash ?

You american (and co.) killed at least 100 000 people in Irak ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Body_Count_project ), and you still think you are the good guys don't you ?

You f*ucking have nuclear bombs , neutron bomble , Intelligence , satellites, tanks ...
But nooooo poor americans , they must save the day as usual and blah blah blah .

Always bitching about other people ... Nazis , Russians , now muslims your existence have no sense if you don't grab your guns and go to save the world from the :

Bad terrorist or russian who is : dumb / Heartless / evil but never never fighting for his freedom .

Don't you see it : You are the fucking bad guys (almost)every fucking dictatorship on the planet , like in my country , in Tunisia is you Ally and we suffer from repression and deniel because of you .

YOU CREATE THE TERRORISTS , you and your companies ravage the world and let people hungry don't blame on them to become beasts .

P.S. : you know what ? What disgusts me the most is that you can't let people live in peace ... Arabs and muslims once belived in you and fought on your side during world war 2 , if you know french watch "indigènes" ... C'est un film qui parle de notre souffrance . And don't forget once turned in a beast after seeing his nation raveged a no matter it origin a man will ask for vengeance god have mercy on you american ... because the dead do not forgive

Jesus dude wtf....Did you sign up just to deliver this rant?

I'm going to have to see this. It sounds like a blast, and I haven't seen a good movie in a while.

glad you liked it cos when i saw it i thought it was awesome but no-one else did. i never expected this film to be reviewed on this site but pleasantly surprised.

also, the honey monster is not awesome as it plagerism the Might Boosh, THE corner stone of modern off the wall British comedy.

Squarez:

J03bot:
How have I not heard of this? I was semi-expecting a review of Let Me In, and then this rolls along? I am intrigued, and shall endeavour to see it.

And yes, the Honey Monster is awesome. As my Sugar Puffs T-shirt suggests.

Assuming you have a Honey Monster t-shirt (from the recent cereal box giveaway) then I assume you live in the UK. In which case, Four Lions came out last year and is already on DVD.

Pfft. As a true fan, my t-shirt pre-dates such crude giveaways (I believe it came from Next about 2 years ago...). However, my lack of knowledge of this film still shocks me... 'Tis clearly DVD time!

Ashoten:
Those comedians ARE smug Bob. Thats kinda their shtik. At least I always thought the whole thing was a parody of all the serious political commentators like Rush Limba. Which is also funny cause if you listen to Rush enough you become aware that he is purposfuly acting like an bloated gas bag for the sake of his ratings. But please don't take this opinion to seriously cause I don't.

Well, that's kinda his point. It's a shtik, as in, they're playing it for comedy. He's referring to people who think that those comedians are genuinely smug.

As for the movie, I've never heard of it before, but you've really piqued my interest.

Thank you so much for recommending this.

Kaher:

No, I'm comparing "Hogans Heroes," a television comedy that used not just Nazis but a Nazi prison camp as fodder for humor to "Four Lions" using suicide bombers - to be clear, guys whose entire stated goal is to mass-murder innocent civilians - as objects of slapstick. Obviously, WWII and the current wars in the Middle East cannot be reasonably compared, the difference is night and day.

this definitely sounds like something only the British could pull off.

I was expecting 127 Hours but this was nice

Yet, Postal: The Movie, was "offensive" and in "bad taste". I thought it was hilarious!

Kaher:
Why did you did that Bob ... -snip-

Have you seen this Movie, or researched it at all?
It satirizes the police as well as the terrorists. I think this movie is an honest and mature look at the motivations and thoughts of terrorists, just through a very very wonky mirror.

If wonky mirrors (black comedy) are not your thing, that is OK.
Conflating ignorance of Islam (is it OK if I type that word, or is that haraam?) with irony is NOT OK.

EDIT: After re-watching Bob's treatment of the movie I can see how some might be offended, but rest assured that the movie much better? (not quite the word I am looking for) than this review.

Also, are you offended by the other movies (Green Zone, etc) that DO depict the Americans/Brits/etc (or at least some subset of these) as absolute heroes?

This movie is NOTHING like that.

EDIT EDIT: Characterizing the movie as "Three Stooges go to Jihad" is a severe oversimplification; It does not "pretty much sum up the whole film".

Also saying that there are no "good guys" in the movie is another oversimplification. Everybody in the movie is sincere about what they are doing (except one which just serves as another source of emotional whiplash); They are all just doing the 'wrong' thing or doing it very badly.

Tempest13:
lol the gun is too small

No, bro, he's just got big hands!

Loved the film. Very funny and stirred up some odd feeling in me id never felt before from a film.

D0WNT0WN:
It has Omid Djalli in it, he is my favorite comedian.

Im going to see it.

No it doesn't and it came out on DVD about a month ago.

I really wanted to see this at the cinema when it was out here, but I missed it. Got given it for my birthday a few weeks ago, finally got around to watching it last night and I loved it. I thought it was so funny, but scarily believable

I used to have nightmares about the honey monster!!!!

Hgame:

ChocoFace:
Loved this movie. Loved the review. There's so much love in the air recently

There's no need to wait, its already on DVD (it was released back in May. However I don't think it has been released outside the UK yet(its getting a limited release today in the U.S).

I've seen the movie. Wouldn't have said that i loved it otherwise.

I saw it when it was first released, it is bloody brilliant, one of the best films this year easily.

For those of you that don't know Chris Morris, watch Brasseye and the Day Today as well. Absolute hero.

Oh, and if you've seen the film already, also check out the terrorist sections from Monkey Dust, I'd say it might have been an influence.

I heartily recommend Chris Morris's TV works; Brass Eye, The Day Today and Jam...(the latter being very alternative).

A clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6jZFZNeOF0&feature=related

I always thought the Mel Brooks quote, while about detatchment and perspective was ultimately about refuge in audacity. Or to put it another way: A papercut or pinprick on a finger isn't funny regardless of whose finger it is, unless it starts spurting gallons of blood like a firehose, monty-python style, then it's hilarious. In this way the concept of four lions has much more potential to be funny than any stupid criminal story because of, not in spite of it coming out while terrorism is still an ever-present threat. I do't know if it will achieve that, I'll have to wait until I see it for myself, I guess.

As a British person I have to confirm.
Yes, the Honey Monster... is Awesome.

Cousin_IT:
Surprised to hear it's getting released in the USA. Will it be subtitled/dubbed?

why, cuz you cant understand british accents?

It's a fantastically funny film and it is quite a honestly possibly a better way to fight terror than declaring a war on it. You can't scare people who just think you're idiots and the film is even quite touching on several levels, particularly the end.

But then, this is a more British reaction. When 7/7 happened, people just complained that their buses were late.

Kaher:

God, comparing people who want to slaughter Jews, homosexuals, and infidels, to people who wanted to slaughter Jews, homosexuals and gypsies? How dare he?

Watched this just to see if he'd use the "Difficult Discussion Coming" frame and he didn't disappoint.

MovieBob:

This week MovieBob takes a look at Four Lions.

The thing that concerns me the most is how many of the UK'ers here know the Honey Monster. He's sort of like the American Gumby and Pokey, and I don't know if they're still going????

I'd also suggest catching up with Brasseye or Jam sometime Bob, the segments on Cake (Drugs), Paedophilia and Beauty Contests are terrifyingly jet black humour, which has more horror embedded in it than even the first Saw film.

BlackandBlueMage:

Cousin_IT:
Surprised to hear it's getting released in the USA. Will it be subtitled/dubbed?

why, cuz you cant understand british accents?

To be fair, the Birmingham accent is a bugger to understand and I only live 30 miles away.

Question?? Are any of the actors them selves actually Muslims?? This movie does look funny to me

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here