Escape to the Movies: Four Lions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I saw this film a while, it's fucking amazing.

"That wasn't a honey monster, that was a wookie!"

I can not find any cinema in a 50 miles radius that has showings for this. Humph.

rubber dingy rapids would recomend this movie saw it ages ago live in the uk was a big hit here its out on dvd now

This looks like a great movie and can't wait o see it
But seriously what is that thing "the honey monster"? now im afraid to go to bed and end up seeing that thing looking down at me when i sleep

While I love Chris Morris' earlier work like 'brass eye' and 'the day today' personally i gave up on this film halfway through.

I was expecting a little more slapstick, but it comes across a tad serious i.e. more like a drama than a comedy and because of that it's far more dark than funny.

BBC3 had a animated comedy series called 'monkey dust' which featured a sketch on incompetent terrorists which i far prefer

Gotta' see this movie!

I was surprised to see this crop up on Moviebob's page, the film came out in May here in the UK, I went to go see it twice (second time included a live video feed of Chris Morris and some of the cast being interviewed by Charlie Brooker). It's probably one of the most bewildering films I've seen in a long time, it's just so well performed that you have to stop and remind yourself that it's about Suicide Bombers half the time.

It is, very, very, *very* British, however, so that may discourage American audiances. And no, it's nothing like Monty Python.

Chris Morris is a fucking genius. I recommend Brass Eye to anyone who hasn't seen it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyNHmskN-vo&feature=related

cursedseishi:

Aiddon:
one thing I always find funny is how people think comedians aren't being serious with their material. Like how so many people on the Escapist think Yahtzee's reviews aren't "real" reviews because he's being funny about it

Sorry to say, but his videos aren't reviews, not because he's being funny about it, but because they just plain aren't. He's a critic. His whole shtick is to make fun of as much of the game as he can, no matter how exaggerated, shallow, or wrong the comment is. He isn't supposed to say its good, or you should play it, or not, he's only supposed to dig into as much of it as he can in the short period of time he has (I.E the 3hrs of playtime in Demons Souls, or the obvious lack of progression he made in Valk Chronicles).

AC10:
So this movie is fine but MoH can't have the "taliban" in their game.

That's the joy of American common sense for ya. TV and Film good, game baaaaaad.

You're right. Yahtzee's "reviews" (look, I used quotes) not being credible, has nothing to do with them being funny - they simply aren't credible, because what he does aren't reviews. But that's okay. I don't watch Stewart & Colbert to get an accurate political commentary of current issues (even though I might get one), I watch them for shits and giggles, same goes with Yahtzee. There is one detail I'd like to add.

Gaming sites hire particular reviewers to write particular reviews. So you have RPG reviewers writing reviews for RPG games, strategy game people for strategy, and FPS people for FPS games. A reviewer who has to write a review for a strategy game needs to have knowledge and experience of previous strategy games. If someone hasn't played Civ 1, Age of Empires or any of the C&C games and has only played Halo and CoD all his life, no one is going to ask them to review a strategy game.

Yahtzee has clearly expressed his distaste for RPG games - how he hates doing the fetch/side quests, dress his characters up with different types of items/armor and follow long dialogue. Since these are an essential mechanics of any RPG game, his reviews especially about RPG games (Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc) cannot/shouldn't be taken seriously, funny or not.

Now about movies, 4Lions sadly slipped under my radar so it's a trip to DVD rental, and I'm gonna go with Captain America = SUCK.

Or Thor = SUCK. There is no way Marvel will get 4 critically successful strikes in a row (along with Ironman movies).

Wait... Americans don't know who the Honey Monster is?

I always thought it was the kind of thing which derived from the US.

I'm proud of you Bob. You managed get through that entire review without saying anything lecherous or creepy. There weren't even any irrelevant pictures of models or actresses.

Keep it up and I may consider forgiving you for your Piranha review.

It was a lot harder to watch than I thought it would be. Saw it at one of the sold-out screenings at the Melbourne International Film Festival this year.

It is based on real incidents with terrorists, there have been cases where the terrorists have exploded from being hugged too hard
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-case-for-calling-them-nitwits/8130/

Not really making fun of the media reaction to terrorism like you would think it would.

England has a long history of terrorist attacks with the IRA no one has attempted a movie like this before.

Had me laughing from the start. I went to the cinema in the Uk to see this and now own the DVD too. So if you cant find it at the cinema check out British dvd retailers.

Enjoy

I was so excited when I saw this review on the front page. I absolutely love this film.

A Childhood without the Honey Monster is like an adulthood without Crystal Meth...wait, that's probably not a great metaphor...WHERE THE HELL IS MY METH?

I noticed that on the list of other terrorism related films in the review, among them was not "The War Within." I'd rate it as the best post-9/11 film about terrorism I've seen, and definitely provides insight into what a potential terrorist might go through. If you haven't come across it yet, I highly recommend it.

RDubayoo:
Hate to say it, but John Stewart and Stephen Colbert really are smug. I don't know what else you can say about two guys who run a "Sanity" rally, as if everyone else who dares to disagree with their point-of-view (and frankly I'm not really sure what their POV even is) is not sane, and THEN you go in there with no message, you fill your rally with potheads, and to top it off you have a performance by Cat Stevens, a zealot who wants to kill Salman Rushdie .

Oh, wait! Maybe that's supposed to be a joke! Stewart and Colbert presented themselves as sane... but they're not! Hahahaha, good one! Okay, I take that back, their sense of self-deprecating humor is REALLY witty.

Two things I find unintentionally hilarious about 'followers' of Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart. The first is when they claim that people who bring 250,000 people on a rally to plug for centrists and moderates aren't political entities and therefore immune from criticism, as if using humour as a medium to put across your political message makes you different from people who use argument, or centrist doesn't count as a side in the political debate.

The second is when they cry foul at things like my above statement and say I'm falsely equivocating between them and cable news, when they used a faily important portion of their rally to falsely equivocate between MSNBC and Fox. The irony is delicious.

Onyx Oblivion:
That said, I might just wait for the DVD, instead of rushing to the theaters.

It's been on DVD for a couple of months, & was released in cinemas on 7th May this year.

I honestly have no idea why it's being reviewed as a new release.

lol I wanna watch this movie now...didn't hear about it before really

yes, fingers crossed...please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck

The Honey Monster? Am I to assume that this if the english version of the cookie monster?

Locutus9956

Locutus9956:

"You yourself are frankly smug and the key point that makes you so is that you assume anyone who disagrees with you 'isnt smart enough to understand what your saying and that's why they disagree'."

No thats "Patronising" - pa·tron·ize·ing

not

pay·tron·ize·ing

(sorry, couldn't resist)

This film was based in my home town. I'm in one of the scenes :D

k-ossuburb:
I saw this on DVD for rent where I work, it's been out here for a long while, I'm surprised this was the film you chose this week.

I've been putting off watching it because I'm not that big on comedy, but I suppose I'll give it a go.

Fox hunting is quite a bit worse than just hunting. Put yourself in the place of Mr. Fox:

Would you rather

A) Get snuck up on by some guy you're unware of and shot and killed pretty much instantly, or if your unlucky wounded and hurt for a little while then shot again.

or

B) Get chase across miles of country fleeing in terror from a huge pack of slavering dogs and men on horses, until they finally run you to ground and you get torn to shreds.

I have no problem with foxes being killed, they ARE pests and eat poultry etc. If farmers want to go out and shoot them, fair enough. But 'Fox Hunting' as it stands is barbaric.

headless Monkey Boy:
Locutus9956

Locutus9956:

"You yourself are frankly smug and the key point that makes you so is that you assume anyone who disagrees with you 'isnt smart enough to understand what your saying and that's why they disagree'."

No thats "Patronising" - pa·tron·ize·ing

not

pay·tron·ize·ing

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Actually in the sense being discussed they are not mutually exclusive. Bob in this review is TRYING to be Patronising but the trouble is he's not as smart as he believes himself to be and so only succeeds in being smug.

To be truly patronising requires a certainly level of 'correctness' when you condescend to your listeners ;)

(incidentally Bob if you read any of this please know it's only in jest and I mean no offence ;) But hey, it's 'teh internets' I'm sure you've had far worse :P)

Death God:
The Honey Monster? Am I to assume that this if the english version of the cookie monster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Monster#Advertising

That should explain it pretty thoroughly :)

ChocoFace:

Hgame:

ChocoFace:
Loved this movie. Loved the review. There's so much love in the air recently

There's no need to wait, its already on DVD (it was released back in May. However I don't think it has been released outside the UK yet(its getting a limited release today in the U.S).

I've seen the movie. Wouldn't have said that i loved it otherwise.

Sorry, my bad, I meant to qoute the post below you, by Onyx Oblivion, who was going to wait for the DVD

Locutus9956:

k-ossuburb:
I saw this on DVD for rent where I work, it's been out here for a long while, I'm surprised this was the film you chose this week.

I've been putting off watching it because I'm not that big on comedy, but I suppose I'll give it a go.

Fox hunting is quite a bit worse than just hunting. Put yourself in the place of Mr. Fox:

Would you rather

A) Get snuck up on by some guy you're unware of and shot and killed pretty much instantly, or if your unlucky wounded and hurt for a little while then shot again.

or

B) Get chase across miles of country fleeing in terror from a huge pack of slavering dogs and men on horses, until they finally run you to ground and you get torn to shreds.

I have no problem with foxes being killed, they ARE pests and eat poultry etc. If farmers want to go out and shoot them, fair enough. But 'Fox Hunting' as it stands is barbaric.

What in the cheese-filled hell are you going on about? What's this even got to do with the film or anything I said in my post? To be honest, I couldn't give a toss about foxes, the species that is hunted (vulpes vulpes) are a pest in most countries like Australia where they've completely ruined the ecosystem. I honestly don't care how they're killed. Using dogs is the most efficient way of dealing with them so that's the best course of action; if it works for rabbits then it works for foxes, what's the difference? Survival of the fittest, nature is not a fairy tale, it's a harsh reality. Deal with it.

So much fanboyism over this cereal mascot. I mean, there isn't a man or woman alive in the States who'd be stumped on how to finish the sentence "Silly Rabbit"... but you wouldn't see them treating the Trix Rabbit as some kind of animated Elvis.

Also this is one of those movies almost nobody in this country will ever see. I'd say it's because we Yanks are too sensitive, but this is also the country that made South Park a cultural phenomenon. So I'll blame our blind hatred of every other culture on Earth including England instead. I mean, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a box office flop too.

Iv seen this film, absolutely amazing, almost as funny as Hot Fuzz.
Also, One of the perks of being British is I know what the honey mosnster is. =D

Locutus9956:

Death God:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Monster#Advertising

That should explain it pretty thoroughly :)

Ah, that makes sense. He's a breakfast cereal icon. I was close though with cookies.

Enjoyed the film at the cinema and it gets a re-watch every couple of weeks on dvd - as with most things, you pick up on so much more in the rewatches and if you enjoyed it at the cinema or weren't sure about it, get it on dvd and go through it again - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The film manages to be both funny, current and poignant without being insulting. The sensitivity to the subject matter (4 years research apparently) shines through in this film. Apparently the English translations in the film don't do justice to how funny the some of the lines are however - which is a shame.

Go see it!

k-ossuburb:

Locutus9956:

k-ossuburb:

Would you rather

or

What in the cheese-filled hell are you going on about? What's this even got to do with the film or anything I said in my post? To be honest, I couldn't give a toss about foxes, the species that is hunted (vulpes vulpes) are a pest in most countries like Australia where they've completely ruined the ecosystem. I honestly don't care how they're killed. Using dogs is the most efficient way of dealing with them so that's the best course of action; if it works for rabbits then it works for foxes, what's the difference? Survival of the fittest, nature is not a fairy tale, it's a harsh reality. Deal with it.

hmm must have clicked the entirely wrong post somehow, wasnt meant to be yours I was replying to, but to someone else who said 'whats so bad about fox hunting over any other type of hunting' (though I dont see what relavence the original question had tbh I had an overwhelming compulsion to explain to taht person :P)

Honey monster > all other breakfast maskots .... and also on topic:

WOW this movie looks awesome, should be a great laugh, will definitely have to see it when it's released on this windy death rock of a country!

Sounds pretty interesting. I like black comedies (sounds like it might fit that bill). The tonal shift sounds along the lines of something a Coen bros. film would do.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here