Review: GoldenEye 007

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Review: GoldenEye 007

The James Bond remake offers the best multiplayer on the Wii and an updated campaign.

Read Full Article

I certainly have to say, I can remember a lot about Goldeneye (But not like everybody else, I was afraid of First Person Shooters).

Although, now that I am older, and can play an FPS and enjoy it, the hardest thing for me is finding a copy of the original for the N64, and while I am not a big fan of the Wii, I just might consider picking one up for the very small amount of games that look like a lot of fun, one of them being Goldeneye.

Awesome review.

Looks like I'll be bringing the Wii out of retirement

Did anyone else notice the gaffe in the credits to the video supplement?

OT: I was kind of playing the "cautiously optimistic" card with this one. it's cool to see it getting across-the-board positive reviews, I think this'll have to be a day one purchase for me.

Why does, Greg Tito, always pause, mid sentance, all the time?

Anyway, I think I shall, give this game, a try, when I get, access to my, Wii, again.

I don't know, I still think this remake sucks ass compared to what some company wanted to do with it before Nintendo got their grubby little hands on it

I have my copy on hold at GameStop, and I plan to pick it up tonight, along with my Classic Controller Pro. I loved the game on the N64, and I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Me and all my friends were cautiously optimistic about this game when it was announced. Glad to hear it's a solid remake, instead of a cheap port.

jabrwock:
Me and all my friends were cautiously optimistic about this game when it was announced. Glad to hear it's a solid remake, instead of a cheap port.

It's neither. A better term would be "spiritual successor". While it's very much intended to have a similar style, and invoke similar feelings as the original, it's too different a game. This is no more a remake than Super Mario Bros 3 is a remake of Super Mario Bros.

P.S. Thanks

HD hand-to-hand Slap fights INCOMING.

Damn, wasn't expecting that positive of a review. Now I'm even sadder that this isn't the next game I'll be getting from GameFly.

blue_guy:
Why does, Greg Tito, always pause, mid sentance, all the time?

Anyway, I think I shall, give this game, a try, when I get, access to my, Wii, again.

Those should be ellipses, not commas.

OT: I want that game now. All I remember of the original Goldeneye was getting my butt handed to me by the older guys in golden gun mode.

Wow I'm genuinely surprised at the good press this game has been getting from all corners; apparently much better than the HD game

God, I'm so glad that this game turned out well without Rare's touch. Eurocom, props bro.

So long as I can play License to Kill in the Temple I'm good

I'm very surprised that the game turned out so well. Pleasantly, of course.

Whoever is playing on the bottom screen isn't an fps gamer right? If not, the controls look horrible!

Nice review tho, I'm tempted, but not sold on picking this up. I am a horrible person.... I didn't like the original.

: (

I suppose playing enough with dual analog controls can warp your mind enough to consider Wiimote aiming inelegant... I'm much faster and more precise with that in the other FPSes I've played.

Sober Thal:
Whoever is playing on the bottom screen isn't an fps gamer right? If not, the controls look horrible!

Nice review tho, I'm tempted, but not sold on picking this up. I am a horrible person.... I didn't like the original.

The bottom half of the screen was played without the Classic Controller Pro. Greg didn't comment on it in the video, but the game is really hard to play with just a Wii Remote / Nunchuck. The stick on the Nunchuck controls strafing, so the sensor bar is left to determine turning. Since it's also used for targeting, you will only turn when the cross hairs hit the extreme right or left of the screen. It makes sense for the control scheme, but I'd strongly recommend getting the Classic Controller Pro.

NO BORIS?!?!?!

But he is invincible!

And how does the Wii mote compare versus the classic controller?

Covarr:

jabrwock:

It's neither. A better term would be "spiritual successor". While it's very much intended to have a similar style, and invoke similar feelings as the original, it's too different a game. This is no more a remake than Super Mario Bros 3 is a remake of Super Mario Bros.

P.S. Thanks

I wish more people would be honest about that.

You hit it on the head.

It's an average FPS, not much better than any alternative. It's getting a pass because it's got Goldeneye in the name and Bond in it.

I don't HATE it, but it does little better than the original :/.

Jesus, Perfect Dark was a better "re-imagining" than this is.

KEM10:
NO BORIS?!?!?!

But he is invincible!

Exactly! He's totally unbalanced!
I know the Wii's graphics are limited, but I felt a little disappointed when I saw Onatopp's face in the game. It's just not the same without that psychotic smile.

Wow, this game is getting good reviews across the board. Another reason to pick up a Wii eventually I guess.

CaptainCrunch:

Sober Thal:

The bottom half of the screen was played without the Classic Controller Pro. Greg didn't comment on it in the video, but the game is really hard to play with just a Wii Remote / Nunchuck. The stick on the Nunchuck controls strafing, so the sensor bar is left to determine turning. Since it's also used for targeting, you will only turn when the cross hairs hit the extreme right or left of the screen. It makes sense for the control scheme, but I'd strongly recommend getting the Classic Controller Pro.

In another review, I heard using the wii remote and nunchuck worked quite well. I'm just gonna assume the bottom screen player sucks :P

I don't have a classic controller pro but I think wiimote and nunchuck works (at least easier than GC controller xD), you can set practically everything so that it becomes super sensitive if you want.

this could be great. I recognize some places from the orginal game. (or I just think so)
but why is the new james in the old bond game? copyrigt problems?

"Written and Narrated by Susan Arendt"?

That gunfight in the middle of the video was so sad.

Weird, it actually surprises me that someone would find the game enjoyable. I thought that Activision would make it "Call of Duty: MW2: James Bond." I might pick this up now.

Just answer me this, does the game still have an animation for when you shoot enemies in the crotch?

Holy shit in the nightclub they were definitely playing 'I Remember' by Deadmau5..... Amazing song by an amazing artist

Why did they replace good ol Pierce Brosnan with Daniel Craig??!! I'm sad now.

Gods, that's a relief. Now that we finally have a successor to it, maybe people will stop moaning about how they need a Goldeneye for the modern era.

My main problems with this game aren't necessarily focussed on the game play itself (Despite how overused and stale it is), but the reason the game was made. See, from the look of it and several reviews I've read and videos I've watched, this game is basically Call of Duty for the Wii with the name Goldeneye slapped on.

Instead of overhauling the story, I would have preferred they overhauled the FPS genre and actually tried something different in this game just as the original did. That's why it was so popular. It dared not to conform with other games and it worked because it added something new to console games. You can't make the next big title without taking risks, but Activision took absolutely no risks here, with maybe the exception of changing the character models and story, perhaps turning a few classic players off the game. I'm not saying this game is bad at all, but what really sets this shooter apart from the other copy/pastes of Modern Warfare? That it's on the Wii? That it's got Goldeneye in the title? I'm just not sold on this one. Maybe if the price goes down in a year or two I'll pick it up.

At the very least, this game actually looks like it's good and had effort put into it unlike Rogue Agent which was just plain shameless. Anyone looking for a good FPS on the Wii should get it if they like the shooters of today and don't already own Call of Duty, but for me, this just feels like it'd be a waste of money.

good to see they didnt fuck up with the classic

but, I can say in my opinion, that it would have been better if they didnt changed Bond for Ken doll

but that's just personal nit picking, which I do to hide the fact that I may be the only one in this forum who doesnt own any next gen console, or past gen, for that matter, except a sega genesis

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here