Review: GoldenEye 007

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"You can go through the whole game shooting at everybody at a distance, especially on the easier difficulties, but I liked that I had the option of stealth if I wanted to feel more like a spy than a soldier. It's not quite Deus Ex, but the option is nice. And if you want to complete the game on the harder difficulties where health doesn't recharge, stealth is almost necessary."

This was what I was most worried this re-imagining wouldn't get right. I did love the multiplayer of Golden Eye but I played through the single player game a lot. It was amazing to me to learn that the game required stealth in the harder difficulties. Learning that firing a single burst (no more than three bullets) from the AK only alerted enemies immediately in view, rather than all enemies nearby, was insanely useful in the prison level, and hiding behind the door and shooting out the window felt ingenious to my young self.

This was the kind of game play, although perhaps evolved, that I was worried this remake wouldn't have. Emergent gameplay. I'll have to give it a try.

How good are the Wiimote+Nunchuk controls in this game when compared to, say, Metroid Prime Trilogy?

Out of this, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mickey Mouse and Sonic... what should I get?! Donkey Kong was my 1st priority because of Retro Studios, but I might reconsider.

Good News! Very good news! This makes me a very sad panda though, because I do not, and never will, own a Wii. But it's a relief to hear that GoldenEye Wii doesn't ruin the wonderful memories of the legendary GoldenEye 64.

I'm surprised that the game has so much personality over the original. Honestly, I think I might get this game for the single player...

CaptainCrunch:

Sober Thal:
Whoever is playing on the bottom screen isn't an fps gamer right? If not, the controls look horrible!

Nice review tho, I'm tempted, but not sold on picking this up. I am a horrible person.... I didn't like the original.

: (

The bottom half of the screen was played without the Classic Controller Pro. Greg didn't comment on it in the video, but the game is really hard to play with just a Wii Remote / Nunchuck. The stick on the Nunchuck controls strafing, so the sensor bar is left to determine turning. Since it's also used for targeting, you will only turn when the cross hairs hit the extreme right or left of the screen. It makes sense for the control scheme, but I'd strongly recommend getting the Classic Controller Pro.

I'm assuming those controls are customisable, a la The Conduit? I remember not liking the controls on that game to begin with, so I shrunk the bounding box down to a pea and it was great fun after that.

Well I hope it's better than the original as the original is now a piece of dated junk....
Looked like in multiplayer there were some controller difficulties...How come?

Why does every Wii reviewer need to bash the wiimote + nunchuck setup. The game uses the same customization as MW:R and that by all accounts (including mine) worked fantastic. Not using the CCpro with this one although the option is nice for my 360 playing friends.

Tito, you gave this game a disgustingly good review.

[paraphrase]"...the shitty frame-rate on the Wii made the action sequences blurry and that actually enhanced the experience because had I been able to see what was going on, I would have surely been disappointed..."[paraphrase]

Although glaringly biased, this review is interesting because it takes well-known limitations of the Wii and ingeniously perverts them into dollops of unconditional praise.

...like being broke all the time is actually a great way to stop spending.

ChromeAlchemist:

CaptainCrunch:

Sober Thal:
Whoever is playing on the bottom screen isn't an fps gamer right? If not, the controls look horrible!

Nice review tho, I'm tempted, but not sold on picking this up. I am a horrible person.... I didn't like the original.

: (

The bottom half of the screen was played without the Classic Controller Pro. Greg didn't comment on it in the video, but the game is really hard to play with just a Wii Remote / Nunchuck. The stick on the Nunchuck controls strafing, so the sensor bar is left to determine turning. Since it's also used for targeting, you will only turn when the cross hairs hit the extreme right or left of the screen. It makes sense for the control scheme, but I'd strongly recommend getting the Classic Controller Pro.

I'm assuming those controls are customisable, a la The Conduit? I remember not liking the controls on that game to begin with, so I shrunk the bounding box down to a pea and it was great fun after that.

I didn't have time to screw around with it, but maybe? That said, as a total noob when it comes to Wii games (especially shooters), it wasn't easy for me to just pick up the Wii Remote setup and blast away at Greg.

It's probably something that players can adjust to, but as an FPS player on other consoles (360) I found it extremely difficult to deal with.

But the real question is, can you still dual wield sniper rifles???

daavisb:
this could be great. I recognize some places from the orginal game. (or I just think so)
but why is the new james in the old bond game? copyrigt problems?

I'm betting modernization more like. Can't get peirce bronson to do his role so they did the next best thing.

It is good to know that they just took Golden eye and just made it more current for 2010 instead of 1995.
I ams sad to know the Brosnan is not in the updated version and that is the one thing i can not let go. I like Pierce Brosnan.

I knew my houesmate's Wii would pay off for more than drunken parties eventually! Huzzah!

This looks great. I prefer Craig over Brosnan to be honest, and I fondly remember Goldeneye (and Nightfire too, somewhat more clearly).

So the better way to control it is with a gamepad - thereby negating the point of the Wii - so why wasn't this put on the other platforms?

I'm assuming it's some licensing thing with Nintendo.

omega247:
Looks like I'll be bringing the Wii out of retirement

Same here... I've been waiting for a good Wii game to come out and this looks like the game I've been waiting for.

Won't replace 007 Nightfire in the "Best Bond Game" category. But probably will replace Everything or Nothing.

Grrr. Not happy. I'm still refusing to buy activision products on principle but this is about the only reason I could use to convince my gf that getting a wii is a good idea (need to purchase all consoles again as I'm moving abroad). Although she does hate Daniel Craig as bond so maybe not

Woodsey:
So the better way to control it is with a gamepad - thereby negating the point of the Wii - so why wasn't this put on the other platforms?

You might as well ask why FPSs get released for anything other than the PC.

Some people prefer mouse/keyboard.
Some prefer controller.
And if you're used to using those 2, then of course its going to play better with a gamepad. Personally, I'd probably do better with the remote/nunchuk, since I suck at FPS with controllers but have a bit more experience with the motion controls (thank you metroid prime and red steel 2).

Okay. That's No More Heroes (I and II), Madworld and now this. Make a couple more games like that instead of Super Mario 9000, and I'll consider buying your console, Nintendo.

Woodsey:

Great pointer controls have already been accomplished on the Wii (Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, The Conduit, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor). Just because one developer screws it up doesn't make them worthless.

Yeah, it's to do with licensing issues. Nintendo still owns the rights to the concept of a Goldeneye game. Activision never does exclusives if they have the choice not to.

The video supplement of the multiplayer didn't exactly inspire confidence, either the wii controls are bad or you guys are AWFUL, there was one point where one of you was punching a wall while the other unloaded a full clip and didn't land a single shot.

Now I wish I had a Wii. Maybe this will finally make me get one. I loved GoldenEye. I mean, who didn't?

ProfessorLayton:

omega247:

Same here... I've been waiting for a good Wii game to come out and this looks like the game I've been waiting for.

Same here. This, and Kirby's Epic Yarn will resurrect the dusty old corpse that is my Wii.

I guess I'll give it a shot. Sad to hear there's no Boris though.

Can't decide if this is worth getting the classic controller bundle. I really like the Wiimote better for FPSs. I mean, using the classic controller on a game like this would be like going to White Castle and getting a fish sandwich. It's fine every once in awhile, but why even go there if you don't want tiny smelly burgers? As far as it "not being as good" as a regular controller, it seems like most reviewers don't know about option menus. Kmart is giving away an extra classic controller with it, though. So many decisions...

Castratikron:
Holy shit in the nightclub they were definitely playing 'I Remember' by Deadmau5..... Amazing song by an amazing artist

Was just about to say that. Love that tune.

I'm sorry, but I can't do this. Goldeneye was an epic, amazing game in my childhood, and I spent many, many hours running around with moonraker lasers, shotguns, and whatever weapons the various owners of N64's decided we should have. I can't try to replace that in any way, no matter how good this game appears to be...

J03bot:
I'm sorry, but I can't do this. Goldeneye was an epic, amazing game in my childhood, and I spent many, many hours running around with moonraker lasers, shotguns, and whatever weapons the various owners of N64's decided we should have. I can't try to replace that in any way, no matter how good this game appears to be...

If you want to be reminded of just how good the original is.

Play this new one.

Then play the original.

Then try to figure out why I'd ever want to play this one again. It's gonna be tough, the online multiplayer is the only thing it does better.

But dude, the first one didn't even have multipla...ohhhh I see what you mean.

Lair Lair

CloggedDonkey:
Weird, it actually surprises me that someone would find the game enjoyable. I thought that Activision would make it "Call of Duty: MW2: James Bond." I might pick this up now.

It seems that is exactly what it is, I have Modern Warfare. I wanted some good old-fashioned goldeneye action not this. I'm disappointed that they judged it the way they did.

Arkhangelsk:

ProfessorLayton:

omega247:

Same here. This, and Kirby's Epic Yarn will resurrect the dusty old corpse that is my Wii.

My words exactly. Problem is, which one should you get first...

OT: Still deciding whether to get it or not. I'm tempted by the free multi-player a little, but remembering SSBB, I have my doubts. In single player, I'm almost sold. I just can't get how you would position a pinpoint shot into someone's face. It's easy on the PC, somewhat less controlable on the console, and "dependent on your surgeon hands" for the Wii.

blue_guy:
Why does, Greg Tito, always pause, mid sentance, all the time?

Anyway, I think I shall, give this game, a try, when I get, access to my, Wii, again.

Greg Tito is William Shatner.

You'd better, get used to, the idea.

theultimateend:

J03bot:

If you want to be reminded of just how good the original is.

Play this new one.

Then play the original.

Then try to figure out why I'd ever want to play this one again. It's gonna be tough, the online multiplayer is the only thing it does better.

But dude, the first one didn't even have multipla...ohhhh I see what you mean.

Ah, the good old days of split screen. Gotta love 'em!

In all honesty, it's mostly my lack of wii that prevents me from getting this. But also the fact that it's one of those games that I will always associate with multiplayer with people in the same room, and anything else would just be a little bit weird...

NO BORIS! I don't think I can buy this game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here