Review: Fable 3 Co-op

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Fable 3 Co-op

The Fable franchise finally gets co-op that works the way it was supposed to, but you probably won't care all that much.

Read Full Article

I wish proper RPGs did proper co-op these days. I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate with my brother; we're having WHALES OF TIME, or whatever the hell that metaphor should be.

(Calling Fable 3 a proper RPG is pushing it, I know.)

lol, too bad co-op tends to break peoples games thanks to the plethora of bugs and glitches Fable 3 has given us.

So can you advance the quest in the online co op or is just for you piss about in? I was looking forward to playing through it with a mate.

I pretty much only want this game for local co op on PC. Any news on that? I'm finding it very difficult to get info. I think this would be a great game to play through with my girlfriend who isn't much of a gamer.

Whats the difference between "overview" and "review"?

Co op in games is so much fun but I think the games that would benefit from it the most are the ones that completely ignore it. How fun would Fallout New Vegas be on co-op? Infamous?

Hell, Dragon Age would've been obvious.

elvor0:
So can you advance the quest in the online co op or is just for you piss about in? I was looking forward to playing through it with a mate.

I'm thinking the story can advance in co-op. In the "Road to Rule", when you unlock each gate you get that statue of yourself as you look at that moment in the game. Before you unlock the gate, you will notice there are two statue pedestals one on each side of the gate; the one on the right says co-op.

I haven't played co-op, but I'm thinking that when you do, your co-op buddy will get a statue there as well. I could be wrong, if anybody else wants to chime in, I would like to know if I am right.

------

Edit: Great review, I have a handful of friends that play. I'm hoping to get one of them to help me get some of the achievements. Though I would have to admit that it is pretty stupid that there are some things players can't complete in the game unless they have a buddy co-oping with them. Like that demon door that wants to see two heroes doing expressions with each other. I'm fine with the achievements for Co-op, but in game things that in the past could be done alone, but are now co-op, that is just bad game design. I sympathize with players that don't have friends that have 360's.

Sonic Doctor:

elvor0:

I'm thinking the story can advance in co-op. In the "Road to Rule", when you unlock each gate you get that statue of yourself as you look at that moment in the game. Before you unlock the gate, you will notice there are two statue pedestals one on each side of the gate; the one on the right says co-op.

I haven't played co-op, but I'm thinking that when you do, your co-op buddy will get a statue there as well. I could be wrong, if anybody else wants to chime in, I would like to know if I am right.

Spot on, if you open a road to rule gate with a co-op buddy in your game he goes on the plinth on the opposite side.

OT: The co-ops fun but yeah definitely not something amazing, I'm not a huge co-op fan anyway. Even less so in RPG blends.

GamesB2:

Sonic Doctor:

elvor0:

Spot on, if you open a road to rule gate with a co-op buddy in your game he goes on the plinth on the opposite side.

OT: The co-ops fun but yeah definitely not something amazing, I'm not a huge co-op fan anyway. Even less so in RPG blends.

Thanks, good to know, though the rate things or going, there are going to be no statues of friends. It's going to be all me, yeah! I'm the badass hero that loves swinging his rifle behind his back to kill baddies without looking.

Can I just mention how much I love the orb system?

I would love to play Fallout: NV and see other players floating around.

Sadly, my 360 is offline, so I can't use the Fable 3 co-op system...

:(

Sonic Doctor:

elvor0:

Oh sweet, might give that a go then, ta for the info

MasterSplinter:

An overview is a general look at something, usually with regard to functionality. A review tends to be a more in-depth look, drawing up a list of pros and cons or illustrating the strong and weak elements of the review's subject.

elvor0:

Sonic Doctor:

elvor0:

Oh sweet, might give that a go then, ta for the info

You're welcome, I do what I can to help those in need. (Steps back into TARDIS and disappears.)

Mass Effect needs co-op dammit :-(

There's couch co-op in this one though, right? Is it splitscreen? It's pretty much the only reason I'd get it.

I'll be borrowing this game soon. I'll try to check out the online co-op, but I may end up playing some local co-op too (if that's available).

can you get same screen/local whatever its called co-op?

Susan Arendt:
snip

I actually bought this specifically for the Co-Op. It's same screen co-op similar to Fable 2 when you're on the same couch. Me and the wife play, which is nice since she's not a big gamer. Also, the Road to Rule is sort of plot based, but it's more of a skill tree. Only the player whose world it is advances. So if you are playing the sidekick you can level up and play the story, but when you go back to your game it's where you left it.

I enjoyed Fable 1, but neither one of the sequels got me hyped, coop sounds fun though

I played the game with my girlfriend, done all the above and tried squeezing much fun out of the game as possible. But some things disturbed me beyond frustation and we ultimatly decided the game was total crap and moved on.

There is a nit-pick with me regarding the marriage and baby making. Our kid turned out to be..black.. Before all you people declare me racist, me and my girl were compeletly pale as pale would allow us to be and ended up with a black kid. I know you cannot decide on race in the game but this struck me as odd and made me send the kid back to an orphanage.

I've had one go of the co-op and quite enjoyed it. Unlike the co-op from Fable 2, I may actually consider trying it again.

The most fun we did have was rampaging through Bowerstone Market in our chicken costumes, slaughtering everyone in sight. Cruel, but fun nonetheless. It's best not to talk about the group sex antics that were engaged in, however...:P

MasterSplinter:

That's a good question. Given that this is just one small portion of the overall game, it seemed a bit grandiose to call this a "review" - I also haven't given the co-op a score. This information would've been part of the original review had the online co-op been activated when I was playing the game. I didn't want to just leave you guys hanging about what it was like, though, so we did the overview.

RollForInitiative:

MasterSplinter:

An overview is a general look at something, usually with regard to functionality. A review tends to be a more in-depth look, drawing up a list of pros and cons or illustrating the strong and weak elements of the review's subject.

Susan Arendt:

MasterSplinter:

That's a good question. Given that this is just one small portion of the overall game, it seemed a bit grandiose to call this a "review" - I also haven't given the co-op a score. This information would've been part of the original review had the online co-op been activated when I was playing the game. I didn't want to just leave you guys hanging about what it was like, though, so we did the overview.

Cool. Thanks.

So the Co-Op is good, but not special enough to be a negative or positive thing for Fable III?
Well if it's not a horrendous mess like the co-op was for the last two games, I won't be complaining about it when I get Fable III.

For me, the coop is one of the best x360 has to offer. X360 games have a tendency to favor online gameplay, forgetting that alot still love the good ole' local play. Fable 3's local gameplay is a wee bit annoying (you can only run that far away), but it works perfectly once youve established who is the "leader" and controls the camera.

It's fun, easy to pick up and really emphasize cooperative play (instead of just flinging your sword wildly, you actually have to work together with your teamate). Both can buy stuff seperately, you can trade all items and you can choose what kinda character your should be (one can be good, one can be evil. Wont affect the other player). My gf and myself are currently loving it, and the last time we had such a great coop session was when we leveled up a new char together in WoW.

I just realised. Since the character you play in Fable 3 is the son/daughter of the king doesn't that make the person you co-op with your other brother/sister apart from Logan? If so then isn't marrying and having a child with them both incest and inbreeding? Lol lion head didn't thing that option out fully did they?

So Susan Arendt did you like your new husband?? Did you have any children with him??

The co-op sounds a lot better than fable II which I'm glad and it still seems like fun if you wanna give it a go.

I'm glad Susan did the review for this, her reviews are always nice

This pretty much seems to hit the head on the hammer for coop. I do enjoy it sometimes, though none of my friends seem to like to do it much because they say something around the lines of "Oh, you will just kill the enemies I need to kill to upgrade my weapon". Although fun at times, it seems the specific challenges to upgrade weapons kind of killed some peoples' coop spirits.

Desert Tiger:
Co op in games is so much fun but I think the games that would benefit from it the most are the ones that completely ignore it. How fun would Fallout New Vegas be on co-op? Infamous?

Hell, Dragon Age would've been obvious.

New Vegas would of been awkward with co-op since companions take up that spot, but make it 4-8 player co-op with scaling enemies and it could be interesting.

have a group reminiscent of Fallout 1 and 2 comprised entirely of players would of been a nice addition.

OT: I have been a little wary of joining a Fable III online co-op.....

I dont know why, it could be the thought of a severely overweight crossdresser with bright green hair as your 'partner'........... this is where I would recommend the developer add in PVP............

Straying Bullet:
I played the game with my girlfriend, done all the above and tried squeezing much fun out of the game as possible. But some things disturbed me beyond frustation and we ultimatly decided the game was total crap and moved on.

There is a nit-pick with me regarding the marriage and baby making. Our kid turned out to be..black.. Before all you people declare me racist, me and my girl were compeletly pale as pale would allow us to be and ended up with a black kid. I know you cannot decide on race in the game but this struck me as odd and made me send the kid back to an orphanage.

Are you sure it was yours?

does it also work offline?

as in local play? :)

Straying Bullet:
The kid was black. WTF?!

Eponet:

Priceless.

OT: You're right, I probably won't care that much. Still, it's nice to have the option to play with a buddy. When you're bored of the single player a good bit of multiplayer always does the trick.

Eponet:

Straying Bullet:

Definitly ours. You can check up on their stats and such to see if they had sexual encounters with other people. She has not.

I read on some forums and most people turn out with a black child. Confusing as hell.

Ghored:
So the Co-Op is good, but not special enough to be a negative or positive thing for Fable III?
Well if it's not a horrendous mess like the co-op was for the last two games, I won't be complaining about it when I get Fable III.

Pretty much nail on the head right there. You'll probably find it at least moderately entertaining, but you're absolutely safe skipping it entirely. If it had been just a bit deeper, it'd have really been something, but as it is, it's just a bit of a diversion away from the main game. Like betting on the chicken races or playing the mortar game - there if you feel like it, no big deal if you can't be bothered.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here