The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 28 NEXT

Combat Evolved?

This week MovieBob rants about Halo.

Watch Video

It's a new show...

OT: Yay! More Movie Bob!

Well. I was far too sober for that conversation just now...

I'm looking forward to seeing more of those oh so stylized faces.

I'll overlook the fact that one or two traded their eyebrows for awesome.

It is interesting. I will give you that.

also saying your employers are maybe batshit loco is not the way to go. That is what got me fired from my second job.

This is quite interesting..this is looking much better than escape to the movies.

I love reading too much into things.

Also...Movie Bob is the one to get a second show? No offence ment but...Movie Bob?! Da fuck?

Can't wait for that Hit with an Axe spin off...

I think it's quite the opposite, we don't notice because we have gotten to a point where the majority are not fearful of difference in race and culture

The covenant cant be veiwed as narrow mindedly as "they are the bad guys and are evil". Im sure you should have picked up that there is no black and white good or evil in anything.

When chizzled down to the bone, they a a group of people with a vision that they feel strongly about, not evil.

But the rest of the stuff in the video I agree with.

I love you Bob, keep up the good work !

Yep, there goes what little respect I almost had for the movie guy.

Comparing Starship Troopers to Halo. That's so original and thought provoking.

Spartans are just like Hitlers master race... yeah, I guess that was a joke or something.

Bob is way to much an intellectual for me to even try to understand him. I quit.

I never really thought Halo was supposed to be that complex, I always just thought that the extent of its complexity was shooty shooty bang. Oh, and teabaging -.-

nice, looking forward to more of the new show.
oh and where was that footage of the guys eyes turning blue from?
i've only played halo 1+2 so if its from 3 or reach, that would explain why i havent seen it.

good times, rants are fun.

YAY!!!

i'm so glad that moviebob is doing more stuff. once a week is not often enough for me (yes, i'm a moviebob fangirl. i'm proud of it, too), and it's nice to give him a forum for the off-topic rants that come up in his movie reviews. :) good call, escapist.

dex-dex:
It is interesting. I will give you that.

also saying your employers are maybe batshit loco is not the way to go. That is what got me fired from my second job.

He was joking.

Has it crossed bobs mind that maybe their isn't some big ugly subtext and maybe the reason for all the different creeds and colours of the enemies is to give you more variation in the things you shoot at?

Bob, I love you. Absolutely love you. I now have three shows to look forward to on this site. Its about damn time that the videos became prevalent for me again.

SomeBritishDude:
Also...Movie Bob is the one to get a second show? No offence ment but...Movie Bob?! Da fuck?

I've always thought escape to the movies was one of the most popular shows on this site, maybe I was wrong.. Although as a critique, this show is fairly similar to another one he's doing for screw attack called The Game Overthinker.

Pretty good stuff though, looking forward for more of this.

Yay, now I get twice as much Movie Bob in my week. Jubilations :)

That said I don't think Bungie are racists or anything, I just think they are terrible story writers. (Try reading some of the actual Halo novels like Fall of Reach, which is in terms of narrative about a billion times more interesting then all the Halo games combined.)

I once made a show about how the Gears of War dudes were the bad guys who invaded Sera, drove the natives underground, and when the oppressed masses tried to get their land back, they nuked everything. I basically called them natzis.
Movie Bob, you should give that idea a go, I'm curious if anyone else comes to the same conclusion.

Hmmm... I have to say... isn't the escapist trying too much to repeat success now? What I'm trying to say is that since Zero Punctuation went so well they've been adding stuff like this constantly. Look at Extra Credits! and Scape to the Movies itself. Don't get me wrong because I love those shows and the "mini show on a weekly basis" concept really works for web magazines, but it starting to grow thin. Just starting, mind you, so if they draw the line now there probably won't be much problems.

Still, great to hear more from Bob. You should have punched Halo a bit harder Imo but that was good. There can never be enough explaining how much Halo isn't really all that good beyond production. Its just a well crafted peace of sameness... but thats just me.

Keep to good stuff coming.

this could be good, but he neglected to mention that the humans teamed up with the Elites in Halo 2 and 3

so... the humans just really wanted ANY ally, but the other people didn't WANT to be their ally. THEY were the ones who wanted to do the "cleansing" of the human race. WE were just sitting back and defending ourselves

but yeah, Bungie isn't exactly helping themselves with the whole "blue eyes" thing. (unless it's a The Who reference :D)

SomeBritishDude:
I love reading too much into things.

Can't wait for that Hit with an Axe spin off...

people actually watch that show? XD

I guess that means the overthinker is out on its ass then?

Good stuff as always Bob, but...

...well, I love your stuff, but can you stop taking pot-shots at Halo. I'm not a fan either, but when I realized this video would be about Halo I almost clicked away.
I guess what I mean to say is: you have talent in your analysis, now please analyze something else.

Well, you sort of started on a good reason for not being a fan of the games...but then you just completely went off as to why you hate the idea of the games.

I knew you could do something about Halo. It wasn't what I expected and for that I thank you. One thing I'm wondering though is how this is going to be different from The Game Overthinker. I mean aside from the artistic style of it.

Nice music.

Splendid a new show, looking forward to more thought provoking topics Bob :D

I'll put it on trial status for now, as I do with most new shows. It seems interesting enough, but much like Extra Credits, it's another soapbox show. Then again, soapboxing on topics other than video games should come out interesting.

Love it. LOVE. IT.

It's like the Game Overthinker, only it's about everything and it's on the Escapist.

I'm a big fan.

I like the new show Bob! Way to make your mark by going after Halo. "que the hate mail!" Can't wait for next week.

From and ad for Reach

Excellent start to a new series. While the subtext of purity vs. mixed is pretty obvious now that Bob mentioned it, I certainly never took notice. But, that said, it's Halo. As Bob said, no one plays it for the story or subtext, and those that don't play it more than likely stopped caring about anything the game had to offer (I use that term loosely) before the second game came out.

So do we not notice these subtexts because we're just so used to it or do we not notice it just because we haven't bothered to notice the presentation at all? You could even pull out a bigger picture about the medium of video games itself: do we not notice these subtexts because society as a whole doesn't notice video games beyond acknowledging their existence?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 28 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here