The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 . . . 28 NEXT

Personal take?

The Covenant have a plethora of different races because Bungie needed diverse enemies. Then when the franchise exploded, so did the detail to the Covenant.

From watching this it shows that movie bob knows nothing about the halo series. Ive always thought and this further proves it; that if you know nothing about the series of a game you shouldn't talk about it.
And besides he was just using halo as a tool just so he can talk about his views on cultural diversity. That is something I don't come to the escapist to hear. We already hear enough of it from Al Shaprton and Jesse Jackson. Last thing we need is someone who tires to evaluate things too much, takes things out of context, and does not see the actual 'Big Picture' right in front of them. Yeah I said it.

Woah, Bob has a new show. Nice.

Interesting observations, I approve. And despite the comedy, this setup has an usual sense of stylish sophistication.

Hmm, yes, quite.

dex-dex:
It is interesting. I will give you that.

also saying your employers are maybe batshit loco is not the way to go. That is what got me fired from my second job.

Saying it with a sense of humour is different though.

OT: an interesting concept, I shall keep an eye out for more.

Awesome, another good reason to keep whoring on the Escapist!

holy crap..... a three year member got perma-banned on page 18....

I can see why he would get in trouble but wow.... 3 years on an account gone for that?

I think that the rules are being enforced a little too harshly on the escapist....

OT: love the new show, i'm a halo fan. and i still love seeing buthurt fanboys who don't get it :D.

Well, to be honest, the Spartans are all faceless (the ones representing the player) so that the player can think of the Spartan as "them" without being distracted by seeing someone else's face and/or hair. And as others have pointed out, the aliens are diverse so that the players have different kinds of targets to try and take out. But yeah, I don't like the whole "Blue eyes" thing either. Will their hair turn blonde, too? We sure can't see under those helmets. :P It's definitely a mixed and bad message.

Looking way too much into the blue eyes there Bob; I didn't even notice it untill you shoved it in my face. But I guess where some people see subtle idolisation of the master race, I just see blue eyes.

And seriously, Halo again? You know what else is a sign of fascism; becoming fundamentally agressive toward something, like for instance, shooters and Halo. Drop the tunnelvision Bob, it's getting tiresome.

God damn

It's because the enemies need variety in order to keep the game fun and interesting

Movie Bob doesn't even know what he is talking about 90% of the time, check out his Other M shitpile for reference

my mind has been blown wide open

Excellent work. I think this will probably be my new favorite series on The Escapist. I love to over-think things and flex my analytic might. I'm glad to see that there's a show now that does the very same.

Also, I'm glad to see it draws from multiple sources. It's about time the Escapist had something that has no distinct guidelines for subject matter except the culture surrounding it. It affords a much more detailed discussion of particular topics without being relegated to how it affects the critic's given media.

I thought he'd rip on the combat system, and I was left disappointed. Oh well. I guess it was interesting enough in its own right. Still hate his voice though...

Bruden:

Akalabeth:

They released the flood by accident. Morally it's irrelevant. Doesn't affect the view of humanity either way.

Letting them out, I'll let you have that one being irrelevant. It's still on rather shaky ground, ignorance is not the best excuse for galactic scale genocide. But you can not argue that blowing up the one thing that puts them back in the box is morally irrelevant.

I'm not 100% sure what the purpose of the rings is. Either it kills all life, or it kills all life save the Flood. If the former, it's stupid to use. If the latter, it's super stupid to use (or even build in the first place). Destroying the ring is the only viable option. And if suicide has anything to do with morality than in terms of morality destroying the ring was the right choice.

By the end of the second game it's been made clear that Earth is the only remaining human population center.

That's never stated in the game so far as I can remember. Earth is important, obviously, but only remaining colony/population centre? Nope.

you're right, they never say "if we loose earth humanity is extinct." They do make some insignificant little quips about what's in orbit being humanity's last line of defense, and a few trivial little things about the covenant wiping out every human world they find. So you're right the games don't specifically spell it out, just surround the hints in giant
blinking neon lights, which the books proceed to fill in in bold.

[/quote]

The books are irrelevant.
As for the games, that is, the only things that matter, of course losing Earth is a big deal. And of course protecting earth is also a big deal. But the fall of Reach basically directly preceeds the fall of Earth. Are you telling me that the Covenant hit every insigificant piss ant colony before they hit Reach? Of course not. When waging a war you don't sweep through the outer worlds in their entirety you go right for the throat as soon as you can. Logically there are other colonies. But without Earth, they would also fall in time. Hence why it all depends on Earth.

Unsupported conjecture.
Did you see a stream of evacuation ships at the end of Halo 3?
Do you know what effect the energy beams from Covenant carriers have on a planet's habitability? From the GAMES that is. Not the novels.

From the game's themselves, the covenant use plasma weapons, and the energy of their beams are hot enough to cause dirt to turn to glass. If super-heating an entire continent in a single go doesn't spell global disaster nothing does. The end of Halo 3 is not filled with a dying Earth and humanity scrambling to evacuate because it's supposed to be a happy ending.

So what you're telling me is that you're right and the game is wrong?
Yeah, try again.

Covenant regularly kill unarmed civilians in the games. This is generally considered bad. They use suicide bombers and have little regard for their own troops, again this is bad. They take no prisoners, except those important to the plot. They lie and subvert the truth to their own people, etcetera, and so on. Hell every covenant we see is a soldier. Are there no technicians on spaceships? No one unarmed for the Spartans to kill? Even the guys in wheel chairs have big laser cannons. When does humanity get a chance to be bad?

Suicide bombers, or sending your soldiers on a suicide mission it's the same thing just one gets less firepower. The humans also take no prisoners even though the grunts often scream and try to run away, heck sometimes the player doesn't even get to kill the retreating grunts because an npc soldiers steps up to shoot them in the back.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that. The grunts are running away, also known as "retreating" or more importantly "regrouping". At no time does any NPC alien try to surrender.

Lie and subvert their own people, read every politician ever, and specific example from the games "no spartan dies, they're marked as missing in action." All the covenant we see are soldiers... yeah that tends to happen when you're fighting on your own home turf against an invading army.

Dude, do you know how many logistical personel are involved in a military operation for every one soldier? In Vietnam it was 10:1. That's 10 logistics for every one combat soldier. Given how many operations the Spartans undertake in enemy installations or onboard enemy starships or bases don't you think we'd see at least one unarmed tech? Especially given that more than one mission was covert or other done under situations where support personel wouldn't necessarily ready themselves for action.

But no, every one we see is patrolling. Or even on the bridge, people are apparently at stations but everyone's got assault needlers and concussion whatevers. Apparently in the covenant everyone has a side arm and grenades on them at all times, even when they're cleaning out the toilets.

It's not even close to legitimate. Unless your idea of supporting is watching the "master race" lose through the entire story to be saved by another race.

Oh yeah, at the end the humans are saved by the Covenant Master Race. The Elites. The best overall species of the covenant.

Movie Bob is reading between the lines of Reach and Reach alone. Halo Reach is not intended to be played separated from the context of the previous Halo games. It's supposed to be a low quality bone tossed to rabid fan boys.

I love how you apparently know the express intentions of the designers.

Why is the quality of the Sound always so bad? Are you spending all you get from the shows on geeky stuff instead of buying a proper microphone? Don't get me wrong, I like escape to the movies but are nitpicking so much about these movies and how important quality is, but you fail to reach a certain level of quality yourself. That is technical quality, not the content.

extra credit clone?

ahem OT:

Sanctus Hospes:
Personal take?

The Covenant have a plethora of different races because Bungie needed diverse enemies. Then when the franchise exploded, so did the detail to the Covenant.

What this guy said, it's basic.

Bobic:
Has it crossed bobs mind that maybe their isn't some big ugly subtext and maybe the reason for all the different creeds and colours of the enemies is to give you more variation in the things you shoot at?

I'm quite sure that that was the first thing that crossed his mind.
You see people often see the perfectly logical reasons first then make the whole WTF explanations and subtexts later.

WOO! Another show to look forward to each week, good stuff.

Isn't it one of the unwritten rules of arguing that once you start comparing your opponent to Hitler, you're probably clutching at straws and should accept defeat? He does point out some interesting coincidences though.

I've got to ask, are you not over worked?
you've got 3 shows going now after all
Escape to the movies
The Big Picture
and
The Gaming OverThinker

I knew you had a lot of opinions but christ, your going to run out of topics fast...

ZeroMachine:
*Snip*

Thank you, I'm sorry I snapped back like that. As for the comics, its about as faithful as the books now that Halo:Reach is out and Bungie needs to rewrite some books to fix continuity problems.

Wow. Just......Wow. I have never in my life witnessed such an unending shlop of mindless prattle. MovieBob basically just took one generic, yet reasonably fun game series, dissected it to the point where he had bite-sized chunks, and then dissected the chunks in such a way that it looked like he actually had a valid point.

I mean come-on! I thought the whole "Big Picture" idea was supposed to encompass.....oh, I don't know.....some king of Big Picture. Instead we get this wannabe rant which basically calls Halo some souped-up version of Romper Stomper. And given that the subject matter was Halo Reach, I think it's pretty ironic just how badly Bob was reaching on this one.

Did the "producers" really put that much pressure on you that you couldn't find at least one decent wide-screen topic? Stick to crappy arthouse movie reviews, Bob.

Later.

The Elites join the humans in the end though. We accept their race and fight together.
And anyway, people are supposed to like the Covenant more than the humans anyway. The fact that they're so diverse means that they'll never get old, even when the SPARTANs do.

And another thing, Halo isn't the only game to do that. What about Gears of War? Same basic concept, except the Locust have even more right to the land the humans inhabit.
And how about Half Life 2? The aliens took us over, but it looked like they were cleaning up our streets.

JohnSmith8976:
Wow. Just......Wow. I have never in my life witnessed such an unending shlop of mindless prattle. MovieBob basically just took one generic, yet reasonably fun game series, dissected it to the point where he had bite-sized chunks, and then dissected the chunks in such a way that it looked like he actually had a valid point.

I mean come-on! I thought the whole "Big Picture" idea was supposed to encompass.....oh, I don't know.....some king of Big Picture. Instead we get this wannabe rant which basically calls Halo some souped-up version of Romper Stomper. And given that the subject matter was Halo Reach, I think it's pretty ironic just how badly Bob was reaching on this one.

Did the "producers" really put that much pressure on you that you couldn't find at least one decent wide-screen topic? Stick to crappy arthouse movie reviews, Bob.

Later.

and yet, only having one post makes anything you say insignificant...

Cant we give Yahtzee ANOTHER show? Or better still...replace this one.

"And its AWWWWWWEEESSUMMM!" The out of breath and overly emotional voice is getting annoying now.

That was amazing, intelligent, and really different!! I absolutely loved it! It's great because you wouldnt have thought about Halo's campaign/story in that way and its really fresh.

Keep going Bob!! Top notch stuff! ^_^

Cool, I liked it. Definitely going to keep an eye out for more Bob.

Freaking love this series so far, lets get as much MovieBob as possible :)

Yay more Bob! The people are the Escapist are crazy, like a fox!

On the subject, it is disturbing, and an interesting thing to think about and talk about. personally I don't think Bunjie's symbolism is an accident, they live in their own bubble where its a good thing :D

Thanks for the idea Bob, looking forward to more!

Excellent. More of this, please.

Now that you do more than movies. Do we still call you "Movie Bob"?

I like this new show. And I like that first episode is about Halo. Maybe now more people will realize that there is nothing artistic about Halo and it's story and characters. It's just a mediocre shooter with mediocre story and faceless characters.

Sanctus Hospes:
Personal take?

Indeed. It'd be pretty god damn boring if you were fighting the same type of enemy for the entire game. Killzone went down the route of the enemy being waves and waves of near identical conformist soldiers.

That was boring as fuck.

I think it's a good thing that bungie didn't care about this looking-into-things-way-too-much bullshit.

And this is from someone who can't stand playing Halo.

Oh, and after his defending of the Metroid: other M characterisation to boot, I'm sure he's just trying to convince himself everything he doesn't like does everything wrong and vice versa.

ImprovizoR:
I like this new show. And I like that first episode is about Halo. Maybe now more people will realize that there is nothing artistic about Halo and it's story and characters. It's just a mediocre shooter with mediocre story and faceless characters.

Which would be a little ironic considering he spent the first episode looking way too much into things.

I think the really important thing here is a show that makes people think more. Even a lot of people that outright reject the entire argument are challenged to think a bit more deeply.

It is interesting to see some of the bigotry on display here in the comments that is usually reserved for opponents of video games; namely the argument that games designers are just 'toymakers' and their products have no 'meaning or cultural value'. The show is worth it just to show up how quixotic the video game-playing community is. If we can't even take ourselves seriously, why should we expect others to?

What I do know of good game designers is how deep they actually think into their games, doing things in it that we the players are never even expected to register. Saying that Bob's reasoning is invalid because it goes into any depth at all grossly underestimates the games designers, and whether you like Bungie's products or not, they are clearly competent. Several people have presented valid alternative ideas to the one Bob went off on (and it would be nice if he presented multiple interpretations rather than the sort of mono-viewpoint he was generally criticising); I wouldn't dismiss them because 'its just a video game'.

Anyways, I like where this program could go.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 . . . 28 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here