The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 28 NEXT

Does this mean the end for The Game Overthinker?

I wasn't going to comment but some people said this was though provoking. Though provoking is symbolism that can be interpreted in many ways. This is just BOB telling us his view is the best view again.

Where the heck did this come from!?

I thought it would be about how the gameplay in the halo/other AAA games hasn't progressed much through sequels- hence the "?" in the title. Turns out it was about multiculturalism vs fascism?

Can't say it was what I expected.
Interesting though...

Or, y'know, maybe they just wanted a diverse array of aliens to shoot up, where their hazard level is broadcast by their physical stature (small monkey thing = weak; gigantic bear-gorilla = strong) similar to TF2's classes having distinct silhouettes, and then filled in an excuse plot around it. Doesn't strike me as "kill them because they dare to be unlike us" so much as "and that's why you're shooting split-face reptiles and shield-carrying vulture-people". I know the implications are there, but it's hard to consider them intentional.

Just saying.

Yeah, uh, Bungie? Y'might want to watch what you're doing.

But yeah, the Covenant look like they'd be more fun to play as, the whole "amalgamation of a bunch of different races working for the same goal," thing. And as far as the monoracial vs. multicultural thing, I think it's a case of people being afraid of change, as in what would change if we as a people were more open to diversity.

New show? By MovieBob? FANTASTIC!

On the whole Halo thing, I don't think they were really planning on any terrible racist undertones. I think some people are reading too far into something that's a bit face value.

Not bad. I like the idea of this show. Will tune in again next week.

Also, a very nice view on Halo. One I've never looked at because I've never played it that much.

I almost face-palmed when I saw you were going on a Halo rant, but yeah, it was an interesting video and I like the Covenant but I think you might be being too biased.

Good to see you have a new show though, look forward to more.

MovieBOB what color did you want his eyes to change to! Green was already taken by Dragon Ball and if they turn black you would say he is becoming evil.

Wow, he read into that game harder than those fake christians pretended to read into Minecraft.

MovieBob:
Combat Evolved?

This week MovieBob rants about Halo.

Watch Video

I love how he rants about how honestly cool and in depth the story really is, but then pretends like he thinks its bad.

Congratulations MovieBob, you're just as brainwashed about the "need" to hate on Halo as the rest of the world.

Have fun with your new show Bob ;). Hope you like it as long as your bosses don't lay off whatever "Crazy idea" drugs they're taking :>

As for the subject of this episode... well I'm not really sure if you are not looking too much into it but oh well... but I have to agree I felt kinda weird when the guy's eyes turned blue in the commercial. Not only was it weird it was kinda unsettling.

More of Bob?! Today just got more epic!

And its a show of rants! HELL YEAH!

congrats on the new show Bob
I have alway enjoyed The GameOverthinker and Escape to the Movies and I'll look forward to seeing more of this.

also I had never really realized the racial subtext to the Halo game, possibly because anytime I ever even looked at a Halo game it was because a friend or my brothers forced me to do so. I never really cared about the storyline and I actively hate the online multiplayer.

awesome show dude. makes tuesdays a bit more fun now.

caballitomalo:
Hmmm... I have to say... isn't the escapist trying too much to repeat success now? What I'm trying to say is that since Zero Punctuation went so well they've been adding stuff like this constantly. Look at Extra Credits! and Scape to the Movies itself. Don't get me wrong because I love those shows and the "mini show on a weekly basis" concept really works for web magazines, but it starting to grow thin. Just starting, mind you, so if they draw the line now there probably won't be much problems.

Still, great to hear more from Bob. You should have punched Halo a bit harder Imo but that was good. There can never be enough explaining how much Halo isn't really all that good beyond production. Its just a well crafted peace of sameness... but thats just me.

Keep to good stuff coming.

i kinda agree with you, but don't forget about the film festival. we'll be getting another original show soon enough (well, hopefully original).

Dearest, Movie Bob -

This makes me very happy.

Ilikemilkshake:

dex-dex:
It is interesting. I will give you that.

also saying your employers are maybe batshit loco is not the way to go. That is what got me fired from my second job.

He was joking.

Yes. I was aware of that. It is called sarcasm.

You're overthinking it. Deeefinitely.

It's seriously the most stretched out thing I've heard since the whole Resident Evil 5 thing.

Also, I do believe there is that one guy who noticed that. Vrex.

We don't talk much about him.

I kid, I kid.

You're cool, Vrex.

One more post. Moviebob I hope you read this I am typing as hard as I can. You missed the point. Covenant are diverse in form but the Humans are diverse in function. Its monotheistic slavery of the multy culture vs a species that is divers in thoughts and ideas but they have no non human allies.

Ilikemilkshake:
nice, looking forward to more of the new show.
oh and where was that footage of the guys eyes turning blue from?
i've only played halo 1+2 so if its from 3 or reach, that would explain why i havent seen it.

its from one of the many live action trailers which were released for ODST and reach, on a side not im just gonna link you my top one aswell because its bad ass and possibly the best thing to ever come from halo .

OT wooo new series from movieBOB where will i get the time to watch all the escapist showss

Sober Thal:
Comparing Starship Troopers to Halo. That's so original and thought provoking.

Spartans are just like Hitlers master race... yeah, I guess that was a joke or something.

I have to chime in with this. I kept waiting for him to get to some sort of point. As far as I can tell it was "Halo has a xenophobic streak, just like a lot of western culture". Which sort of made me go "...Yes, we know. Aaand? Is the point that we shouldn't do it like that? Golly!"

I know it's kind of your job to over think things but would you not think that maybe the reason that the enemies in halo are alot more diverse then the player characters is because......they're the ones we're looking at all the time. It's a first person game remember?

Also there are no good guys in halo. The spartans kill just as many humans as they do covenant, and in all of the stories surrounding the series, just as much sympathy is conveyed for the races of the covenant as for the humans, including halo 2 where you actually play as an elite.
In fact the only thing that comes close to a villain in the entire series is the flood......you know the homogeneous consumption driven mass, the only aim of which is to propagate itself by means of wiping all individualism from the face the universe.

JourneyThroughHell:
You're overthinking it. Deeefinitely.

It's seriously the most stretched out thing I've heard since the whole Resident Evil 5 thing.

Also, I do believe there is that one guy who noticed that. Vrex.

We don't talk much about him.

I kid, I kid.

Don't get mad, Vrex, you're a cool guy.

Perhaps diversity of the covenant stems from the need for diverse enimes? I think this has been Waaaay overthough and i think hes seeing worring things where he wants to see them; somehwere do doesn't like. People like bob need to sit down, take a good deep breath and realise that at worst Halo is a highly competant shooter.

This is less about 'Racist Undertones' and more about Bob being a bit of an extream fanboy.

Oh great more unfounded Halo hate... I know you at least tried to make good and interesting arguments but so many people are going to bandwagon on this it's ridiculous.

And seriously what the hell is that bit about Hitler and neo-fascism? Was that really needed?

I will wait for a subject that doesn't annoy me as much before deciding if I like this show or not...

So, this is The General Overthinker in disguise. Certainly, much overthinking was included in this.

OH. DEAR. GOD!!! What hath The Escapist unleashed!? Good thing I dont really pay that close of attention to Halo's story, cause my mind was just blown...

I thought it was pretty good.

I enjoy MovieBob's movie reviews and respect his opinions, however, I don't think this is a good decision to go with on a weekly basis. I think that his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of film allows hims to make these kind of 'big picture' rants without convincing me (this is a subjective opinion after all) that his observations and conclusions aren't just as valuable/disposable as every other voice on the internet. But, I'm not yet convinced that this applies to video games. These rants make up just one component of his film reviews, but this video had only one real discussion going on, and the faces don't convey his thoughts or emotions particularly well.

Escapist staff, if you're going to give MovieBob a second video each week, I would rather hear about more movies than more . . . stuff.

I always saw halo not as mono-culture vs multi-culture, but more as the enlightened Atheistic minority triumphing over the crusading majority.
I'm a christian mind, but that seems to be the attitude/message the halo games convey. After all, The Humans (read: atheists) only start to triumph after they win over the elites to their cause. (The elites find out that their religion is bullshit meant to control them)

So no, I don't think halo is racist or subtly master-race supporting. I think is very unsubtly the story of atheistic reason winning versus unenlightened religious zeal. (hell, the lower ranking elites are called ZEALOTS, the leaders are called PROPHETS, and they are going up against the Spartans who are SCIENTIFICALLY engineered to kick ass)

not too hard to figure out.

More Moviebob ranting, well I like Escape to the Movies and I like Game Overthinker, I'm guessing I'll like this.
Now that I look in depth at the "good guys" and "bad guys" in Halo, yeah that is a bit weird, it's probably unintentional on Bungie's part, but it, it just sorta looks bad.

Though the main appeal of the game is "pow pow, zap zap, frag!" so he may be overthinking this issue.

I would have liked if Movie Bob could have provided some more examples of this phenomenon of "pure race" vs "racial mixing" in fiction. Because by just mentioning Halo, it looks like he's just trying to bash Halo.

Moreover, he clearly demonstrates he hasn't played Halo 2 and Halo 3 in which the humans team up with some of the aliens, "working together towards a common goal".

Yeahhhh, this really wasn't a great start.

So it will be a show about speculations? It's either giving the big "picture" or putting more meaning into something that wasn't intented.

But hey, I could be wrong. I'll wait until more episode comes out.

That was a great macro overlook! Seeing your big picture context made me realize how much about Halo I've missed. For example, the blue eyes in the commercial used to be cool, but after you pointed out what it could really mean I laughed so hard that I had to go change my shorts!

Great job, Bob! You're added to my bi-weekly Escapist Magazine to do list.

Yeah, perhaps your digging into Halo to much, the story never really gets that deep. I sorta felt like this is like someone saying, "You wont let me on the bus because your racist! [Person 2] No sir, its because you have no clothes on."

Basiclly, we get it, you don't like Halo, why not analyze something else rather then hammer in an old point.

I am a Halo fan, I like shooty shooty bang bang games. Its what I'm geared towards(I'm in the U.S. Army). But I don't mind the criticism. As for the mixed race is bad, I've read the books, I know that some spartans are black, mexican, asian. One of the spartans drill instructors was a mexican. I know what your trying to say but I never even noticed that aspect of the story. I only saw it as "aliens are shooting at us, shoot back." I think the mixed race is bad thing your picking up on is just an unintentional thing. Like the unintentional racism that Resident Evil 5 had by having Africa as the setting.

That being said I like the idea of this show. Movie Bob is a smart person who can intelligently put an argument together. I'm looking forward to more of these videos.

sagacious:
I always saw halo not as mono-culture vs multi-culture, but more as the enlightened Atheistic minority triumphing over the crusading majority.
I'm a christian mind, but that seems to be the attitude/message the halo games convey. After all, The Humans (read: atheists) only start to triumph after they win over the elites to their cause. (The elites find out that their religion is bullshit meant to control them)

So no, I don't think halo is racist or subtly master-race supporting. I think is very unsubtly the story of atheistic reason winning versus unenlightened religious zeal. (hell, the lower ranking elites are called ZEALOTS, the leaders are called PROPHETS, and they are going up against the Spartans who are SCIENTIFICALLY engineered to kick ass)

not too hard to figure out.

I thought it was just a very serious outcry against extremism in general, trying to force your thoughts on an entire race is wrong and killing them in order to do that is just even worse, the Covenant are basically alien Taliban or alien Crusaders. Also it shows how corrupt those groups are, the Prophets knew the truth but still decided to twist it in order to fuel the motivation to help them achieve their goals.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 28 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here