Shamus Plays WoW #3: Into the Bandit's Den

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shamus Plays WoW #3: Into the Bandit's Den

Making bets with demons is usually a bad idea.

Read Full Article

This series is getting pretty good.

What's so bad about Goldshire? Are you on Moon Guard?

The heads-in a vault thing sounds like fun. I'll do that if I ever sign up for the game again.

I'm left wondering about the demon's secret that has never been told to any mortal. Was that just bait for the bet, or might it be something that turns up in a later installment?

We can only speculate.

It kind of scares me that someone using the vault next to me might be using it for severed heads. I don't want to enter the bank again, ever.

I'm wondering how Gobstab will react to the debauchery in Goldshire.

Hmm, that head collecting idea sounds interesting...
But OT this series is really getting good, keep up the good work!

I haven't actually collected quest heads. Kinda want to now.

But I do still have a stack of Severed Night Elf Heads that I can't quite bring myself to get rid of. At this point they're collector's items!

Goldshire is the Barrens of the Alliance. Eugh.

Also, I was highly amused when I started a new character fairly recently only to see they had changed the enemies to "neutral". I remember ages ago when I made my first character EVERYTHING was out to kill you, and it did. A lot. Well, OK, once you got the hang of how the first few levels worked you probably wouldn't die, but I think they took it an extra step gameplay-wise which required them to take a step back in actual enemy common-sense-wise. I remember the first time I went into that cave that used to always be the bane of the first few levels and nothing even tried to kill me. It was baffling.

coldfrog:
Goldshire is the Barrens of the Alliance. Eugh.

Also, I was highly amused when I started a new character fairly recently only to see they had changed the enemies to "neutral". I remember ages ago when I made my first character EVERYTHING was out to kill you, and it did. A lot. Well, OK, once you got the hang of how the first few levels worked you probably wouldn't die, but I think they took it an extra step gameplay-wise which required them to take a step back in actual enemy common-sense-wise. I remember the first time I went into that cave that used to always be the bane of the first few levels and nothing even tried to kill me. It was baffling.

Ye, I was wondering that too when the picture with the defias showed, "When did they become neutral?".

OT: Wonderful Shamus, really enjoying this, not only because it's funny, but you're also a warlock ;)

The comic just keeps getting better. Hopefully well see these characters experience the changes that will eventually come with calaclysm ;)

Why did Norman become a Warlock again? Why would a goody two shoes pick up evil powers if he wasn't fully committed to being a complete and total bastard. I don't get Norman at all. I still love this series though.

More unadulterated brilliance.

Seriously funny.

Thanks!!!

I qq'd a little for being knowledgeable enough to notice this fault. The collecting heads thing wouldn't work because quest items are destroyed when you drop a quest, so you could only get as many as the game allows you to have quests. Which is still what, 15 heads in a vault? That is kind of a lot, I suppose. It would be impossible to get all of them though. I laughed at the notion in spite of this.

therandombear:
Ye, I was wondering that too when the picture with the defias showed, "When did they become neutral?".

If you want a specific time that they became neutral, it was an undocumented change in 3.3.0. I stumbled upon that while rep grinding with my DK. I was surprised to see that the "vicious, bloodthirsty quillboar" near the tauren starting area were as docile as ever.

It's even more off-putting in some of the starting areas in Cataclysm since there's a lot more in the world going on, but from a gameplay standpoint it makes sense. I remember rolling my first character and dying several times at low levels because I wasn't used to the aggro radius on the hostile mobs and the fact that hunters are basically useless in melee.

I think they went a bit too far in the other direction, honestly, but at least the handholding stops a bit when you get out of the cozy newbie areas.

*claps* Good Show! I like it.

"I suppose you could just not turn in these quests and store all your heads in your vault."

Sadly, you'd soon run into the limit of 25 active quests. Dropping a quest would usually destroy any quest-related items, so your cranial museum couldn't grow any larger :(

The 'Dun dun DUN' was perfect. A great way to end this.

I wonder how long Shamus will be doing this series? I think I brought it up before, but do you think he's got some specific quests in mind, or a certain level cap?

In a land far away, in a very parralel universe, a long time ago, before the World was so deep in accessibility...

...those bandits were aggressive. As in, red. As in, they'd have attacked you if you were standing too close to them.

Some improvement over the other 2 issues. Still not enough funny though.

AngryMongoose:
This series is getting pretty good.

What's so bad about Goldshire? Are you on Moon Guard?

Oh the strange twisted things that go on in the Goldshire Tavern... *shudder*

Ahhh Goldshire, tears shall be wept.

"Why aren't you sleeping with any of the hookers?"

"Because Gobstab, they're all guys dressed up as women. Except for those two guys over there, who are women dressed up as guys."

Good thing he took care of the virgin stuff, cause he sure as hell won't find one in Goldshire

Oh god Goldshire. >.>

also, how is this going to go once Cata hits? the line you're basically following is going to shift a lot.

Museli:
"I suppose you could just not turn in these quests and store all your heads in your vault."

Sadly, you'd soon run into the limit of 25 active quests. Dropping a quest would usually destroy any quest-related items, so your cranial museum couldn't grow any larger :(

You feel 25 severed heads is too small an amount...?

Lol, loving this.

Someone said 2 issues?

I've only seen it's an imps life so far...did I miss one?

Formica Archonis:

Museli:

Yes, because a collection is judged on how many and how important/expensive the items in it are. But you could get more than 25, there are quests are require more than one head like the one for the channeler heads from ZG.

Edit: Also, there are heads that begin a quest. Ex: Onyxia's Head

I wish I could do the head-in-the-vault thing, but since you can only have 25 quests in your log at a time, and as soon as you abandon a quest the item you collected for that quest gets destroyed, you could only have 25 heads, maximum.

Neptunus Hirt:
The heads-in a vault thing sounds like fun. I'll do that if I ever sign up for the game again.

I'm left wondering about the demon's secret that has never been told to any mortal. Was that just bait for the bet, or might it be something that turns up in a later installment?

We can only speculate.

its kinda hard seeing you have to keep the quest open. So you can only have about 30 severed heads(ive never done it but you know how quest items work)

direkiller:

its kinda hard seeing you have to keep the quest open. So you can only have about 30 severed heads(ive never done it but you know how quest items work)

Hm. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I played, but I recall having kept a few quest items without having to have the quest in my log. There was some item, as I recall, that could transform you into a furbolg. I'm pretty sure I canceled that quest, because I kept that item until I stopped playing.

But perhaps I'm wrong.

Spectere:
I remember rolling my first character and dying several times at low levels because I wasn't used to the aggro radius on the hostile mobs and the fact that hunters are basically useless in melee.

I think they went a bit too far in the other direction, honestly, but at least the handholding stops a bit when you get out of the cozy newbie areas.

During my exciting 2 weeks of attempting to play WoW (very early after release), it wasn't an enemy aggro radius per-se that bothered me. It was them respawning out of thin air with me in their aggro radius. There's something about walking through an empty field and then having 6 boars teleport in and swarm me that says "don't waste your time on this game."

Formica Archonis:

I feel it's a little small from a collection point of view. Obviously, a regular day can be got through with only three or four severed heads, maybe a couple more at the weekend. You know how it is.

This continues to be excellent. Heads, heads everywhere.

lol goldshire. Also I'd like to point out that you're playing after the nub friendly patch. Before patch 3.3(I think) enemies like those bandits did attack you on sight.

So far the article has been good this one was a little lackluster though. Still had its laughs though.

Also you can abandon a quest and keep the quest item(severed head in this case).

I was too curious and ran it through Thottbot. These are all the heads I could find:

Hex Shrunken Head
Big Bad Wolf Head
Head of Onyxia
Stuffed Shark Head
Magtheridon's Head
Mimiron's Head (the mount, but yeah, a head)
Belt of Preserved Heads
Belt of Shriveled Heads
Belt of Shrunken Heads
Belt of Tiny Heads
Ingvar's head
Nefarian head
Ossirian head
NElf Head
Gor'tesh' s head
Bouldermok head
Pamela's doll head
Stormwatcher head
A talking head (WTF?)
Harvester's head
Garrick's head
Zalazane's head
Minshina's skull (not quite a head, but...)
Raptor head
Barak's head
Samuel's Remains (icon is a skull, so we must assume a head is involved)
Melenas' head
Nissa's remains (more questionable, as the icon is slime)
Blackened skull
Thurman's remains
Gregor's remains
Devlin's Remains
Rattlecage Skull
Ivar's head
Dargol's Skull

-So that's what I found. I'm sure there are more.

Ah, the virign sacrifice. I already wanted to add an entry to the Evil Overlord list on this. I figured, if you're evil enough to sacrifice people and the only requirement is 'virgin', why not take an extremely ugly 7 year old boy? Not only is it much easier to find one of those that's still a virgin, compared to the usual 25 year old gorgeous woman (the kind where you know that, if she really is a virgin, it's certainly not due to a lack of trying of every male that lived in a 20 mile radius). But there's also a much smaller chance that the hero will spoil the qualifications. [Obligatory joke] Unless the hero is a catholic priest perhaps. [/Obligatory joke]

But I must admit, these sacrifices rarely explicitly state it's supposed to be a human either. The hero won't even be legally allowed to stop the Overlord, as long as he does it in a butcher shop that's up to health regulation standards.

Heads in a vault? Nah, you should see the skeletons in my closet. *pa-dum-tsh*

I really collected heads in Ultima Online. Even more than that. Hearts, too. You can rost those and eat them to increase your Necromancy. I even got a lot of my own heads. Which is really, really weird even if you ignore the fact that I collect useless heads.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here