Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

wait, what!?! no complaints about the invisible walls?

mad825:

There aren't *that* many invisible walls, and those are mainly at the tops of mountain ranges. Admittedly, some are annoying, but I kind of like the ones around Quarry Junction that function to keep the Deathclaws in...a few Deathclaws wandered out of the back entrance of QJ in my game and set up camp in the Cazador stretch of road, which really makes a difference for my (by now level 30) character. Ironically, I've completed the unmarked Sloan quest, which makes Quarry Junction proper far safer than the road that leads behind it now. Imagine, though, if there weren't invisible walls and Deathclaws were free to wander into Goodsprings...that'd make for a rough tutorial...

Is it me or did that seem like the quickest 5 minutes and 27 seconds ever?

Just about the time you get into it and want to hear more it just ends. Even Candle Jack gives you more time before he jus

aristos_achaion:

mad825:

There aren't *that* many invisible walls.

O.o

I've playing Fallout:NV for 5 hours now and I've bumped into 20 different invisible walls but thankfully I've got the PC version so I can remove them with a mod.

anyway they are different methods of preventing creatures from wandering too far (not to mention that I doubt they would wonder from Cell A to Cell B without provocation) the use of invisible walls is cheap...

LOVED Fallout 3 and fallout new vegas. This review made me laugh so hard. It was so spot on how you can only go one way at the start. I totally lost my shit as the part "I settled down that night on a prison mattress that smelled like it had seen it's fair share of brutal romantic conquests". It's the first time in a while I ha to watch it twice it was so good.

Who the hell DIES from fucking Bloatflies?

The fact that Yahtzee ignored all the good aspects of this game makes me lose much respect for him. That and the fact that soda does make you more dehydrated. Also this game isn't for pussies, whining because you ran into a Cazador (giant flies) nest is just stupid, this game doesn't use the bullshit leveling system like Oblivion and Fallout 3. Also the voice acting in this game is far more superior to Fallout 3 especially considering New Vegas had more than 10 voice actors.

Also Yahyzee seriously thought the menus were confusing? What the hell is so confusing? The "help" section in the pause menu explains what every abbreviation means so there's no excuse there.

Also judging by the way Yahtzee explained everything it didn't seem like he payed attention to any of the games lore at all. The Fallout series has a massive lore and he just seemed to ignore it all.

Also a while ago Yahtzee complained about Red Dead Redemption and I clearly remember him writing in an Extra Punctuation article that RDR would've been a lot better if you had to eat and drink while in the desert. New Vegas does exactly that and now he's complaining about it? Also why is he complaing that he stepped on a land mine, it's after all his fault. Also why would a doctor patch you up for free? It's not very easy being a doctor in post-aocalyptia and do you really think a doctor is just gonna patch you up for free?

^ a liiiittle to serious there guy...just laugh or leave(i laughed)

awesome review. I expected more Deathclaw Massacre from the north though :D

This review was pretty disappointing. This is the first review by Yahtzee that i really didn't like; if we can even call this a review. It would have been nice to hear his take on the story or well any part of the game besides the hardcore mode. also the video seemed rather short, but i could be wrong.

Sansha:

I'm pretty sure he meant the Cazadors, not the bloatflies. Thankfully Victor saved my ass from a pack of those fucking things, or they would have eaten me o.0

I being a Fallout fan since the 1st have to admit you've got these games pegged correctly down to the very core, their buggy, the characters never break eye contact, and the freezing is driving me insane. Love the review man keep'em coming.

Prolly Cazadores or he used the flies as a stand in for the deathclaws that plague the north road where he went like satin on steroids shitting out babys of pure evil.

This was more funny than informative, though I'm assuming Yahtzee thinks it's an average/decent game.

Sansha:

They aren't Bloatflies, they're Cazadors, and they will wreck your day (until you get better weapons and a higher weapon skill). Granted that I'm playing on Very Hard (because anything less might as well be Very Easy), but when I first met them a single hit dropped over half of my health bar. Even after gaining a number of levels they'd still take a pretty large chunk of health and drop me after 3 or 4 hits. Basically, if you can't cripple one of their wings to force them to walk (slowly), they will destroy you.

Edit: Also, to Yahtzee; Disneyland DOES charge that much. In fact, they charge much much more than that if you want access to both sides of the park. This is assuming that one cap is supposed to be one dollar, of course.

I enjoyed this review and for the people asking where the review is. You pretty need to look at the fall out 3 video. He even stated this was like an expansion pack.

Best. Zero Punctuation. EVER!!!

While I don't put much stock in Russ Pitts' recent petulant diatribe to the game industry because of this game(I think he over-sensationalized the problem, but what do you expect from a journalist trying to get hits to make money), I still have to say that releasing a game that can not be completed because (from the sound of things) it consistently(or nearly consistently) just crashes is PITIFUL and INEXCUSABLE. In my opinion, the game developer should have the decency to be willing to refund all or at least part of people's money for such piss-poor performance on their part. Such shitty quality is not tolerated in any other industry; why should games and software in general be any different?

I played the first Fallout 3, all the way through. I was not impressed. A vast, free-roaming interactive wasteland of nothingness. There's more to do and see in a desert than the city-sized void of Fallout 3. The game was simply big, but there was next to nothing in it for all that size. I realize it's supposed to be an apocalypse, and you're not likely to find much in the way of interesting things to do or see after an apocalypse. Certainly, it's more realistic to make things as such; however, it makes for a pretty uninteresting game, in my opinion. You have to take artistic license with reality if you want to make an interesting and enjoyable game. Mimicking reality is a gimmick that doesn't always work.

After such an experience with Fallout 3, I had no interest in dealing with the game ever again. It just wasn't fun. New Vegas sounds like they threw significantly more into the yawning abyss that is Fallout 3 in an attempt to fill it with something(anything!) to get the mass-energy density above infinitesimal, but they forgot to make it work(and if you go by Yahtzee's critique, they still forgot to make it fun, also).

WhiteTigerShiro:

Sansha:

They aren't Bloatflies, they're Cazadors, and they will wreck your day (until you get better weapons and a higher weapon skill).

Yeah right. Shoot 'em in the wings and they're dead. Get a shotgun and shoot at them from the hip at medium range - thus damaging all wings at once - and they're little more than irritating.

Nice Yahtzee, totally agree. Hardcore mode was just a nuisance, and hard difficulty was still easy if you went the way you were "supposed to". Bugs aplenty, and all that other stuff, check. Still great fun though, once you hit New Vegas anyways.

Also, yeah soda does dehydrate you more so the game isn't wrong there. Btw found out Matthew Perry is the voice actor for Benny? :O Awesome!

So true

Except on pc

never did crash 4 me...

I would like to point out... though it probably already has, that drinking soda does actually dehydrate you... it is the sugar to water ratio that still makes it dehydrate you some... yeah

And that, my dears, is why you play these games on the PC: modding support. Still, great review... or should I say, story of your life?

agreed
One of my favorite reviews. mixed things up a bit by more of telling a story of in game experience than just reviewing it. although i was surprised he stopped. i thought he was enjoying it.

Sansha:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Sansha:

They aren't Bloatflies, they're Cazadors, and they will wreck your day (until you get better weapons and a higher weapon skill).

Yeah right. Shoot 'em in the wings and they're dead. Get a shotgun and shoot at them from the hip at medium range - thus damaging all wings at once - and they're little more than irritating.

*Yawn* You can put your e-peen away, no one is impressed. Try setting it higher than Easy and you'll find that they can easily close the gap before you can cripple their wings if you aren't careful; especially in the early game when Yahtzee encountered them.

I want to try out fallout. This or 3?

Scarecrow 8:

KillerRabbit:

Evilsanta:
Ahhh...The Fallout Crashes...I dont miss them.

Anyways is this game any good? Besides the crashes that happens now and then is the game any good?

I am on my second play through of the game now, and I have only crashed once when I was alt-tabbing from fallout 3 to windows like 20 times in 1 minute due to checking score of a hockey game.

I can't speak for consolse, and I realy don't see a point in why anyone would play this kind of game on a console (?) since PC verision is superb compared to them. But on my Win 7 64bit system everything run fine.

And I completed the game before the patch came out! (And I am still unsure if steam has applied the patch to the game or not?!)

Anyway: This game is well worth buying! 9/10.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'seeing the point' of not playing the game on the pc. Does the pc make the game better? Does it raise the immersion? I woundn't think so.

For example, in no special order:
* User made mods
* Graphics 100 times better
* Better control with mouse and keyboard
* Thanks to pc, we have games like these - with immersion, while console games is only dumbing down anything. Some console games you only have to press "X" from time to time to complete a game. So no I will not support dumbing down games (meaning buying consoles/games for them).

One of the best ZP's off all time!!! After this I am gonna get New Vegas for sure :)

"As I stole breakfast..."

Not a comedic gem in text form. But spoken in the deadpan serious way as if it were a regular occurrence by Yahtzee, I couldn't stop laughing for some reason.

brainless_fps_player:
I want to try out fallout. This or 3?

If you haven't played the first two, I'd say look those up and give those a go first. (GOG.com or Steam). While not completely necessary, it does give a bit of a backstory in Fallout 3 and even more so for New Vegas. That being said, if you haven't played Fallout 3 first, get that first(GOTY with all the DLC).

Yet another kick-ass episode. I'm really looking forward to giving Hardcore mode a bash!

Back to the usual standard Yahtzee, as in fucking awesome.

Also, I may get pissed on for this but; Escapist mods. What the hell is your problem? Two people put on probation for presumably commenting before watching and one guy suspended? What is this a fascist state?

KillerRabbit:

Scarecrow 8:

KillerRabbit:

I am on my second play through of the game now, and I have only crashed once when I was alt-tabbing from fallout 3 to windows like 20 times in 1 minute due to checking score of a hockey game.

I can't speak for consolse, and I realy don't see a point in why anyone would play this kind of game on a console (?) since PC verision is superb compared to them. But on my Win 7 64bit system everything run fine.

And I completed the game before the patch came out! (And I am still unsure if steam has applied the patch to the game or not?!)

Anyway: This game is well worth buying! 9/10.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'seeing the point' of not playing the game on the pc. Does the pc make the game better? Does it raise the immersion? I woundn't think so.

For example, in no special order:
* User made mods
* Graphics 100 times better
* Better control with mouse and keyboard
* Thanks to pc, we have games like these - with immersion, while console games is only dumbing down anything. Some console games you only have to press "X" from time to time to complete a game. So no I will not support dumbing down games (meaning buying consoles/games for them).

I see we have a member of the 'Glorious PC master race' here. User made mods are generally shit (I used to be a PC gamer, I know). They lack a polish and shine that professional add-ons have.

The PC doesn't have graphics that are a hundred times better. Why? Because the game is limited graphically so's not to make the console versions look bad.

I hate mouse and keyboard. It's too easy.

Name this game where you press X every now and then to win. Seriously, don't be such an elitist, open your mind! Just because you prefer something doesn't mean it's better and people who prefer something else are retarded.

FIRST: that was not a bad review,, he did not as per usual drop a busket of insults and not once i heard that the game is shit... and i think he expressed the likinkg of rpg aspect well enough

SECUNDO: how could he rip a game that has a MONUMENT BUILD WITH HIZ NAME ON IT FFS!!!

WilliamRLBaker:

Sir John the Net Knight:
There are three constants in man's life. Death, Taxes, and Bethesda games that will bug out and crash.

you mean obsidian games that will bug out and crash. Bathesda games will be filled with glitches yes...but Obsidian is the king of that...when you play a bathesda game you hope you don't get some geometry conflicts, or a quest breaking...When you play an obsidian game you hope the game just starts.

how many bethesda games you played... aeldersk scrolls arena and such you know... all i can remember is crash srash crash as they allways tried to do more than thay could, a tooo big world that was repetitive and boring after a while, morrowind again a great game but crashes and bugs mounted up as the living world concept overgrew them. And obsidian games how many did you play ? i cant remember kotor sl crashing, and since half of those guys were in black isle neither did the first fallouts or baldurs gate or icewind dale for that fact either didnt have quests you could not finish... pushing for innovation is one thing but over estimating your capabilities and taking a piss and relising a buggy game to make profit and never patching it to the end crown goes to Bethesda.

FIRST: that was not a bad review,, he did not as per usual drop a busket of insults and not once i heard that the game is shit... and i think he expressed the likinkg of rpg aspect well enough

SECUNDO: how could he rip a game that has a MONUMENT BUILD WITH HIZ NAME ON IT FFS!!!

and thats a double post ;]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or