Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

would it be too much to ask, if i asked you to do a narration of everything in fallout new vegas? that was more entertaining than the actual game, and i like the game.

Roofstone:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?

Honestly... as Yatzee says not really just adds more factors in it, infact I found "Hardcore Mode" not hardcore enough! The Fatal Flaws being that I Didnt dehydrate fast enough and i couldn't use bottles i own in my inventory to make bottled water (Although I know there is a mod for that)

But ya I Have overplayed that game xD

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kouen/stats/Fallout:NewVegas

I Quite enjoyed that Tale style review xD although im guessing everyone is waiting for Yatzee to now review COD:BO xD

sumguitardude:
Fallout 3 was shit and this game is shit, i agree completely with ur review
I mean come on they are using the same fucking graphics engine and it has more bugs inn it then a year old fish.

Care to explain why they are shit? Other than the bugs in the game that are fixed now?

I really hate those "comedy reviews" without a message >_<"
Or did I missed something in between!?

This is definitely one of the more entertaining zero punctuations iv'e watched.

I must say, even though I loved Fallout 3 and rank it as one of the three best games ever made, that both this review and the original Fallout 3 review were quite spot on.

You see, the developers clearly made an effort to make the game as immersive as possible, but they just didn't have a clue how to actually reach that goal.

Seeing as how the game obviously prides itself on it's immersive qualities and the quality of the storytelling, all the stilted animations, poor voice acting and gameplay features that kick immersion in the teeth get all the more jarring, not to mention the bugs.

Ahhh, I wish i could roleplay like that, came close to it with Fallout 3, I might wanna check this out.

Damn, you really are busy with being a lazy wanker, i see. Too busy to notice the developer change, the subsequent increase in GREATNESS and the nice tone change from sickly green to sexy orange (or you could use Fellout). New Vegas is FUCKTONES better that 3. Maybe its the original Van Buren team, maybe the budget, but i. had. fun. Oh yes, and hardcore mode is for the hardcore, not for Yahtzee "OMG NOT THE CRAFTING".

Roofstone:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?

HC was very immersive for me at the start of the game, when food and water was so scarce/not worth buying with my few caps.

Later on, it just seems pointless.

As for the health, it makes sense, it stops you from charging into any battle, nearly dying, instantly healing up and repeating till dead.

If you want immersion/difficulty, disable your VATS. it really makes the game much tougher, and the bullet time just took you right out of everything frequently.

I was confused about that soda-dehydration thing myself...
It makes a twisted sort of sense, but when you'r finding Sunset Sasparilla everywhere and NEED HEALTH NOW and are in the middle of the desert and have run out of water...
Freaking pain in the ass.

Funny thing though. I haven't run into bugs yet. 'Cept for, you know, Radscorpions. And Radroaches.

Funny review, I was happy to finally have played a game that was reviewed. ^^,

Not going to lie, I definitely lost some respect for Yahtzee when he got annoyed over pop making him dehydrated. Since, you know, it really does dehydrate people.

I'm actually enjoying New Vegas a fair bit more than I did Fallout 3 -- and I think that's mostly because it doesn't crash as much and because I'm playing an asshole with a hammer. It really does cut down on the time spent in "conversation"

Also, it seems more varied.

Thank god someone else other than me noticed the +/- H2O thing!

Can I just say that I really appreciated the whole "realistic narration" thing. I, as a game reviewer (My personal site is www.thekountryklub.yolasite.com) know the value of mixing up the content of reviews.

hmm... is it just me or has his opinion of Fallout 3 changed since he reviewed it?

Christer:
I'm actually enjoying New Vegas a fair bit more than I did Fallout 3 -- and I think that's mostly because it doesn't crash as much and because I'm playing an asshole with a hammer. It really does cut down on the time spent in "conversation"

loool

I really like this Style of the review, but you should not do it again.
Its the unique stile which makes it that great.
The first time it is funny as hell though :)
One of my favorite ones, but nothing tops the Prototype vs Infamous or the duke nukem forever one :D

Oh Yahtzee! Why no mention of the game's disguise mechanic? You know, where you can wear the clothing of an opposing faction to go around in their towns, doing their quests and trading without being shot at (unless you go too close to the very rare NPC set on spy-catcher status). You can even wear the outfits of neutral factions to pin your misdeeds on them in some cases. Surely that's a feature that should become absolutely standard in all future crpgs. It's a rare case of genuine f****g innovation that doesn't involve graphics, and as such deserves a mention regardless of whether you liked the rest of the game. Here's a handy phrase for you to steal with minor editting: 'even if the rest of the game sucked donkey's bollocks, the disguise system was a genuine effort at gameplay innovation - you know 'gameplay'...that old thing we used to like before we all became slaves to Nvdia'- here's a case of genuine gameplay innovation (yes Assassin's creed and other stealth games kind of did it, as did Hitman, but it plays out completely differently in a faction-driven crpg, so that makes it stand on its own).'

So, yeah, he didn't even try to comment on anything but the bugs and just said "see Fallout 3 review". Given that it was developed by different people, that's pretty lazy.

What's the name of the song he keeps playing when ever the subtitle says 'Day 1'/'Day2'/'Day3'?

So what? It seems he liked it. Not really sure as he not a hardcore game and he even says he was. Then again I have to wonder alot about Yahtzee.

Not sure. I just know it was from Fallout 3. Which he did not even talk about the new weapons. How armor actully works in this game. Where guns and armor are weaker. You need specail bullets to kill some mobs unless you have a very high power gun. There is alot of difference from this game and that joke FO3.

Caradinist:

sumguitardude:
I mean come on they are using the same fucking graphics engine and it has more bugs inn it then a year old fish.

Care to explain why they are shit? Other than the bugs in the game that are fixed now?

Why i think it`s shit :

I bought fallout 3 when i got out becouse i thought i t looked good and it seemed like it was oblivion with guns in it.But after playing it for about an hour i traded it inn for another game.
Why you ask, becouse i thought the game was tedius, repetitive and just boring.
The fact you had to always empty ur items after collecting to much was an umberable chore.
And most of the characters in the game looked the same, the infinite traveling to one place to the other with no means of transportation and the horrible, horrible glitches also ruined it for me.
I liked the lock on system but that`s the only thing i liked about it.
Now if you like the game then good on ya mate, but me i rather eat sho polish then play it again.

And Las vegas is just the same as fallout 3, i mean come on they didn`t even bother by making the graphics better or sum other major improvement`s inn the game.
I feel the same as Yahtzee on this, it shud have been a DLC and not a full bloody retail game.

sumguitardude:

I feel the same as Yahtzee on this, it shud have been a DLC and not a full bloody retail game.

Since when did DLC have more content than the original game?

To be honest, this video is the one in which I've laughed the most.

oooo a video based lets play, the escapist should do more of these (spoiler warning)

I think New Vegas could be a decent role-playing game if all the bugs get patched.

Roofstone:

It TRIES to be immersive, it's cool in some minor aspects, since food and drinks finally make sense, and it makes things abit harder cause stimpacks and broken limbs will work out differently, don't worry, as soon as the game asks if you want hardcore mode on, it'll also tell you all the details. Mind you that playing with Hardcore Mode on does not keep you from setting the DIFFICULTY on easy,normal, etc. They are completly different aspects of gameplay. I'm 50 hours intomthe game, I stopped for now because the game is freezing too much and I'll rather wait for the next patch, Hardcore
Mode, however, does NOT make things overly difficult.

I'm playing, incredibly loving it.
But this review touches on a lot of good parts, but I think it doesn't touch too much on the story, but that's okay, because the story is rather complex (and hard to find at the start).
This review was different from the others, because of the whole 'day' thing. More of a story than a review, but it's still technically a review.

Onto the game itself;
thousands of bugs, but most of them are mutants.

sumguitardude:

Caradinist:

sumguitardude:

Why i think it`s shit :

I bought fallout 3 when i got out becouse i thought i t looked good and it seemed like it was oblivion with guns in it.But after playing it for about an hour i traded it inn for another game.
Why you ask, becouse i thought the game was tedius, repetitive and just boring.
The fact you had to always empty ur items after collecting to much was an umberable chore.
And most of the characters in the game looked the same, the infinite traveling to one place to the other with no means of transportation and the horrible, horrible glitches also ruined it for me.
I liked the lock on system but that`s the only thing i liked about it.
Now if you like the game then good on ya mate, but me i rather eat sho polish then play it again.

And Las vegas is just the same as fallout 3, i mean come on they didn`t even bother by making the graphics better or sum other major improvement`s inn the game.

I hated the weight limit thing, too. Thankfully, I had it for the PC so I could use console commands to increase my pack by a ridiculous amount lol. Character design wasn't a concern to me at all, and I thought the fast travel helped with exploration. I didn't get too many glitches until I lvled up my guy a whole lot and had over 100000 lbs of junk in my pack, but I guess that's what I get for cheating :P. Though I will admit that it does get boring as soon as you explore every area. I also got New Vegas and was surprised by the differences from Fallout 3, as I also assumed it was going to be just like an expansion pack for Fallout 3 with a different campaign. Still, if you didn't like Fallout 3, you probably won't like Fallout New Vegas much, either.

Sansha:
Whoa, chill it out. Who's e-peening? I'm saying Cazadors take huge damage when you nail them in the wings. Sometimes they even flip onto their backs when crippled. Like I said, they're more irritating than an actual threat. More of a waste of shotshells.

Anything's easy when you know how to deal with it... but really, get Dinner Bell and pretty much everything becomes trivial to kill.

You may not be actively e-peening, but disregarding an enemy that's a threat in the early game just because it's easy to kill a little later comes-off as very pompous. My post wasn't meant to say that the Cazador was the end-all be-all of New Vegas, I was simply pointing out that:

A) They are NOT just Bloatflies (which you seemed to think he was referring to).
B) They hit like a truck (which again, is based on Very Hard only experience, they might be wimps otherwise).
C) They require a pretty specific strategy (taking out the wings) to make them manageable.

I can certainly agree that they become easier later in the game, but later in the game wasn't the topic of discussion, thus it comes-off as pompous when you start going-on like you killed 50 of them in your sleep, at Level 1. With your bare fists.

A nice chnage of pace XD

solidstatemind:
Okay, you got me: I started out with a generalization. I should've said "it continues to shock me that some people take his opinion as being definitive..." I think the rest of my statement got the point I was trying to make across, however.

That is definitely true.

(Though I suppose it doesn't truly shock me because, well, this is the Internet and all. ^_^)

UberNoodle:
I know that being negative about pretty much everything is his shtick, but I find myself tiring of it. I prefer AVGN so much more because whenhe rants and raves, the games really deserve it (in hindsight at least), where as ZP seems to massively magnify minor quibbles into problems that they're not. Vegas is so buggy, but there was very little said about this gold mine of comic and sarcastic material.

I totally agree, the humor and atmosphere in the game is really wakky and pretty damn good :)

sorry if this has been said already, but i am not about to read thru 400+ posts. Anyway, I just wanted to say that i am actually glad that Ben's game froze, this shows just shitty Obsidian did, proving to all those assholes on different forums that i was right, the game is a piece of shit....Thanks Obsidian, for taking a cult hit (the 90's games tho) turning it into cold shit!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here