Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

i'd like to comment on yahtzee's utter comical genius, despite lack of game review.. Gotta love those brits.

DarkRikku18:
Not going to lie, I definitely lost some respect for Yahtzee when he got annoyed over pop making him dehydrated. Since, you know, it really does dehydrate people.

This is false. Caffeine is a diuretic, yes. But you are not less hydrated after drinking coffee, tea, or cola than you were before having said drink; owing to the simple fact that there is water in all of those things and your body now has more water in it than before, even after processing the additives.

It would make more sense if Fallout: NV weighed hydration on a sliding scale. For example, a bottle of water gives +5 hydration, a soda gives you +3. But having soda actually cause a net LOSS in hydration is silly. It doesn't work that way.

Watching it again, I can now speak to something that slipped by me:

I'm no athlete, but even I have always been told that drinking soda when dehydrated is only slightly better than drinking table salt. Yes it's water at its base, but there's a whole lot of stuff in it that makes it just about the worst thing you can drink if you need water, and can even make the effects worse. So a negative makes sense.

Roninraver:
It doesn't work that way.

Nnnnnope. It works exactly that way.

EDIT: Are the Under-10-Posters (double meanings ftw) done making the same complaints seen weekly here at The Escapist yet?

sumguitardude:
The fact you had to always empty ur items after collecting to much was an umberable chore.

...that was in Oblivion too.
That was the whole point of "Feather" spells and stuff.

And most of the characters in the game looked the same

Again, same as in Oblivion

the infinite traveling to one place to the other with no means of transportation and the horrible, horrible glitches also ruined it for me.

You never really played Oblivion, did you? At least not until a few years after release?

I liked the lock on system but that`s the only thing i liked about it.

And Las vegas is just the same as fallout 3, i mean come on they didn`t even bother by making the graphics better or sum other major improvement`s inn the game.

They did make some major improvements, the aim is better, iron sights, and whatnot.
And when you play the game (and let yourself get immersed) graphics don't count.

I feel the same as Yahtzee on this, it shud have been a DLC and not a full bloody retail game.

Now, see, that doesn't make sense.
NV has a lot more stuff than FO3 (locations, weapons, good storylines, etc etc).

I'm not saying that Oblivion is bad (it's my nr 1 game of all time), but I'm just saying, that a lot of what is "wrong" with NV was "wrong" with Oblivion when it started.
Also, if there is something you don't like.

Mod the hell out of it.

Roninraver:

DarkRikku18:
Not going to lie, I definitely lost some respect for Yahtzee when he got annoyed over pop making him dehydrated. Since, you know, it really does dehydrate people.

This is false. Caffeine is a diuretic, yes. But you are not less hydrated after drinking coffee, tea, or cola than you were before having said drink; owing to the simple fact that there is water in all of those things and your body now has more water in it than before, even after processing the additives.

It would make more sense if Fallout: NV weighed hydration on a sliding scale. For example, a bottle of water gives +5 hydration, a soda gives you +3. But having soda actually cause a net LOSS in hydration is silly. It doesn't work that way.

I agree on the post.

Did you know that your body adapts to drinking coffee / tea / cola and doesnt dehydrate as some people want you believe to?

A lot of people lack the ability to see the diference between marketing of a company and real facts :p

For the record and all of those who are asking, Fallout: New Vegas is in fact amazing. Outside of the crashes (which always suck, and were thankfully *mostly* fixed by the most recent patch), I've been most places in it and seen enough of it to comment. (PROTIP: Save often.)

So this is one of those games that's really worth playing, despite its technical flaws.

Even given that it's the same engine and such, Fallout 3 doesn't hold a flame to it.

don't waste so many caps on doctors healing arms and that, rather keep saving outside while you can trust on the autosave when inside, and just don't cripple any limbs while in hardcore mode, if they're about to get crippled, just sleep and they'll have full health again.

mr_rubino:

I'm no athlete, but even I have always been told that drinking soda when dehydrated is only slightly better than drinking table salt. Yes it's water at its base, but there's a whole lot of stuff in it that makes it just about the worst thing you can drink if you need water, and can even make the effects worse. So a negative makes sense.

Roninraver:

EDIT: Are the Under-10-Posters (double meanings ftw) done making the same complaints seen weekly here at The Escapist yet?

No, it does NOT work that way. A basic high school chemistry course would tell you this. Actually you don't even need the chem course, you just need a little common sense.

The reason that soda, tea and coffee are worse for hydrating than water, is because the substances in the beverage require water (among other things, like calcium from your bones in the case of soda) to be processed and broken down by the body. That and a slightly elevated rate of urination. But there is a net gain in the amount of water present in the body after consuming the beverage. You do not magically end up with less water in you than before, simply because what you are drinking has things other than water in it.

If you drink a 20oz bottle of soda, it does not cost your body 21oz of water to process the additives. It costs less, leading to a net gain in water present in your body, therefore you are better hydrated than you were before. This is common sense, and I do not know how or why people seem to have trouble understanding.

Let's try this. Say you're stranded in the desert, you've been walking through the heat of the day for 10 hours, during which time you've had nothing to drink. You come across a bottle of soda lying along a dune. Do you drink the soda? Or do you think to yourself "No, that would be silly. It would dehydrate me more than I am already!"

If you chose the second answer, you have failed the Darwin test and deserve your fate.

Drinking water is better than drinking soda. But drinking NOTHING is so much worse. The fact that Fallout: NV actually has soda cause a DECREASE in your hydration level is ridiculous, and Yahtzee was right to point it out.

mr_rubino:

Roninraver:

I'm an athlete and I took biology in college. Hell, I have common sense.

Drinking soda does not dehydrate you that way.

That was lovely

What the bloody hell is happening with Fun space game: The game.

Pretty cool story. Game seems like it will be fun.

lobotoja:
FIRST: that was not a bad review,, he did not as per usual drop a busket of insults and not once i heard that the game is shit... and i think he expressed the likinkg of rpg aspect well enough

SECUNDO: how could he rip a game that has a MONUMENT BUILD WITH HIZ NAME ON IT FFS!!!

That's Yangtze lol

Roninraver:
Drinking water is better than drinking soda. But drinking NOTHING is so much worse. The fact that Fallout: NV actually has soda cause a DECREASE in your hydration level is ridiculous, and Yahtzee was right to point it out.

I guess if what you were saying wasn't true, then pouring soda in a glass of water would decrease the amount of water in the glass.

samaugsch:

Roninraver:

I guess if what you were saying wasn't true, then pouring soda in a glass of water would decrease the amount of water in the glass.

Quite right. If you had a glass with 5oz of water, and poured another 5oz of water in it, you'd have 10oz of water in the glass.
If you took the same glass with the 5oz of water and poured 5oz of soda in it, you wouldn't have quite 10oz of water, but you would have 9oz and some change. You certainly wouldn't have less than the 5oz of water you started with.

Soda doesn't magically take away water that was already there, and you're gaining more water by drinking the soda than you're losing from processing the additives/diuresis.
You come out ahead.

loved the part "why the F would I want to go after the guy that shot me in the head"

I got out of the grave and was like.. now where the F is that guy that shot me in the head.

so i headed north. got killed by a bug.. reloaded and found an alternate path north and got to New Vegas in the first hour of gameplay.. then it took me awhile to get 2,000 caps..

JediMB:

lobotoja:

JediMB:

Granted, I never played the original Fallouts back on Windows 9x, but they've crashed plenty in XP and Vista/7. Fallout 2 also had a problem where saving and loading in the Wanamingo Mine could cause the game to crash as soon as you tried to move, or corrupt the save entirely.

system issue not programs and i used windows 2000 the one based on nt till xp64 ;p

The game crashing with 100% certainty because you have saved and loaded under the wrong circumstances is definitely a programming issue with the game itself.

the system isue was your incompetence...

newer crashed and ruined my saves black isles falout did ,on many systems played it have I, and finished f1&f2 over 30 times I have, 100% of shit full you area. the galaxy from your madeup bullshit saved by the force must be. You Will Wo Avay and Never Speak of it again...

You know this video is actually pretty damn funny! He's not actually reviewing the game, just talking about his 3-day experience. What fun!

Hilarious review, but... really, Yahtzee? I hope you weren't serious when you were asking how Soda dehydrates you... that's highschool science right there :/

all right. i'm going to state up front that i find yahtzee's reviews to be downright hilarious, no question. however, i have to say that i am slowly being withered down by his noncomplacent attitude towards everything. rather than offer a truly balanced review i fear he is falling into habit of being purely negative, which isn't a responsible reviewer's standpoint. while this continues to be funny and curtailing to what your fans expect Mr. Croshaw, i offer you a challenge Yahtzee: I challenge you for the next 7 reviews you clearly state at least 5 things from each game that you found to be enjoyable. and i mean 5 things that are intended to be part of the game's experience, not being a wanker or turning it off or something like that. 5 things from either a narrative or gameplay mechanic that were genuinely something you found to enhance your gaming experience.

You should've said about all the factions and how annoying they are.

Ever since Fallout 1 the deadliest creature in the Fallout universe has been the Deathclaw. Leave it to the original team to cook up something new, novel, believable and just as bad. The Cazadore has entered every New Vegas player's lexicon as a synonym for "trouble".

I would have to say I am very disappointed in this review. I only played the game for about 8 hours and I would have to say that I was hoping he would point out more of the crap in the game.

Things I was hoping to see discussed.

- Factions. The fact that what you wear determines how people react to you
- The colors. Instead of gray and brown now we get BRIGHT orange as the scenery color.
- Weapons. Holy crap they miss alot and degrade much faster then before. And why the hell do I need different types of ammo most that don't do shit.
- Location. Who thought the desert was the best place to be? There are no large groups of buildings anywhere. Looting is next to impossible here.
- Locations. Where are the empty buildings? Every damn place i have run into has a settlement, so when i loot I lose karma EVERY TIME!

This game was not a fallout game but a western in post apocalyptic times.

I was really hoping for more of a thrashing from Yahtzee on this one.

Slappybob:
I would have to say I am very disappointed in this review. I only played the game for about 8 hours and I would have to say that I was hoping he would point out more of the crap in the game.

Things I was hoping to see discussed.

- Factions. The fact that what you wear determines how people react to you
- The colors. Instead of gray and brown now we get BRIGHT orange as the scenery color.
- Weapons. Holy crap they miss alot and degrade much faster then before. And why the hell do I need different types of ammo most that don't do shit.
- Location. Who thought the desert was the best place to be? There are no large groups of buildings anywhere. Looting is next to impossible here.
- Locations. Where are the empty buildings? Every damn place i have run into has a settlement, so when i loot I lose karma EVERY TIME!

This game was not a fallout game but a western in post apocalyptic times.

I was really hoping for more of a thrashing from Yahtzee on this one.

This is why being a good guy in a fallout game makes things so difficult.

he definitely said that he said all he needed to say in his Fallout 3 review...

deathmetalfan:
What's the name of the song he keeps playing when ever the subtitle says 'Day 1'/'Day2'/'Day3'?

-- It's "in the mood" by Glenn Miller, and it is awesome :)

This is why being a good guy in a fallout game makes things so difficult.

It wasn't for me in Fallout 3

I would like more Yahtzee Fallout Adventures

It's official. Yahtzee fails miserably at playing games, and shouldn't even try.

Stupid Australian git, killed by the flies. What a failure.

I'll just say it.

He said if you want a review watch the Fallout 3 review.

Also pop dehydrates you in real life.

I tried looking up soda and dehydration and it would seem like it's really up to the person to decide whether it dehydrates you or not. On one hand, I've heard people say that is a myth that lives on by repitition. On the other, I've heard people say that all the chemicals in soda cause dehydration. It's like making a decision in politics :/. I've personally decided that soda does not dehydrate you. Plenty of people may think otherwise, but unless you can come up with an argument that I have never seen before, I probably won't chnge my opinion.

Dammit, I hate it when long posts don't go through. I don't feel like typing it back up again or trying to remember everything I had said, but basically, I was saying opinions on whether or not soda dehydrates seems too evenly split to decide for certain which is which, so I'm just going to believe that it doesn't.

EDIT: Nvm, my post was delayed for some reason.

Well, for the first time in my life I'm left wondering whether Yatzee like the game or not. Frankly, for me it's also sort of a grey area. At least it's definitely better than the original and, suddenly, you can actually RP in a RPG for a change.

About the whole soda thing, strangely enough, game devs are right. Osmolarity of soda is aroung 0.5 OsM, while osmolarity of plasma and bodily fluids is around 0.3 OsM. Which means that soda does make you dehydrated. Certainly, the effect is not as profound and obvious as in the case with sea water which is 3 OsM.

I liked your new variation. Also, yea soda dehydrates you. Read the ingredients label.

samaugsch:
Dammit, I hate it when long posts don't go through. I don't feel like typing it back up again or trying to remember everything I had said, but basically, I was saying opinions on whether or not soda dehydrates seems too evenly split to decide for certain which is which, so I'm just going to believe that it doesn't.

In my 10 years of backpacking experience I can tell you that yes, soda dehydrates you. Look at the ingredients label, sure it has water in it but the other shit in there makes your system work harder and push through more water, in the end its not beneficial.

It's not much of a review, but it's still funny. Good work, Yahtzee.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here