Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Yeah, this was way better then his Fallout Three review because I could tell he already played the game, where as F3 felt like he made the review after listening to someone else play it.

I like the commentary about how easy it is to steal shit in this game (I walked out of the Brotherhood bunker with like, 24 laser pistols without even trying).

Yeah, I agree with Yahtzee that re-reviewing Fallout 3 (I mean, reviewing New Vegas) would have been a waste of time. The only thing that would be lacking from his Fallout 3 review would be Liam Neeson and the complaint about subway tunnels.

Roofstone:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?

Both. "You're dehydrated!", "Well, gee. I gots no water and the nearest town is too far away on foot. This is immersive, but at the same time I'm absolutely screwed."

These rare Stories (like with Demon's souls) seem to be much funnier than "proper" reviews, maybe he could do a separate show just for amusing experiences inbetween writing books, putting off "fun space game", working in a bar, writing the weekly colomn and... eh, probably has a tight schedule as it is.

Rule of thumb for Bethesda games: wait for GOTY. The bugs'll all be sorted out by then.

It doesn't excuse them, but it at least makes you want to tear your own hair out a lot less.

Ha, loved it. Great ending.

I've never been disappointed by a ZP video before. Welp, I guess there is a first time for everything.

A few thoughts:

One thing that definitely improved is the writing. Unlike Fallout 3 where everything is actually fairly clear-cut trough the veil of grittiness, you actually get the idea that most of the factions have their ideology and history. Ceaser is a warlord with a fancy theme, the NRC is like a modern government (it means well if you ignore its greed, corruption and occasional incompetence) and Mr.House wants Vegas to be his. The character work is improved too, you genuinely get the feel that these people live in the world you are in rather than fanfic-inserts. All of the companions, even the dog (although that's hinted), has a bit of history they can tell and have their own view of the world (you can ask about their opinion about various factions).

There are more speech checks too, meaning that you can solve a problem diplomatically with something else than just Speech. Repair, Barter, Medicine, Survival and Science (and even gun skills) can help you solve quests through dialog.

More quests can also be solved multiple ways and less rarely your usual "kill 20 rats in the cellar" type stuff. For one thing, the quests are a bit more logical, sometimes requires a bit of investigation and written well (unlike in Oblivion where you were everyone's favorite bitch).

As for Hardcore mode... Yahtzee is right, it doesn't add that much. It's just means that you need extra health items and a new skill (Survival, which to be fair, also allows you to make certain drugs, make more use out of skins/meat and is actually a sort of alternative to Medicine). It tries to add a new dimension to the game, but the truth is, that once you are past the breaking point of difficulty, you trip over most of the health items you need. Not that it's bad mind you, just needs more depth.

Crafting is more ingrained though, as you can craft ammo and health items. This also sort of combines two skills, as you can craft Gun items with Repair (you can re-make bullets too) and Energy weapon ammo (which ammunition you can recycle) with Science (making it useful for something more than just occasionally cracking a terminal). Also, with Survival, you can make poisons that you can use with melee weapons. However, I dislike that there are less crafted weapons.

The bugs can be annoying, ESPECIALLY on console however. I'm not cheating or modding (much) but there is actually a DLL file out there that will massively help improve performance, as well as certain issues. Still, I have already learned some console commands to play trough the game (especially companion teleporting because the fucks constantly get gliched or lost).
However, these will likely be fixed over time and I would rather take some bugs over boring quests with uninspiring stories.

Overall, I think it is an improvement over Fallout 3.

Haha, they attacked me so they fall unther the international law of go fuck yourself.

What was the line about Natalie Portman? I can't hear the words.

Ultratwinkie:
you're telling him to shop on black friday? are you trying to kill him?

Sonic Doctor:
No, don't try to fight the hordes on Black Friday. Injuries will happen.

Am I the only one here that has been to a live concert? Black Friday is nothing compared to front row of Gogol Bordello or Rise Against. Hell, I've been to bar shows that have more mayhem in them.

zelda2fanboy:
Damn, I was totally into that story. I think I'd probably watch a two hour Yahtzee Fallout story. You know, so long as it didn't freeze.

Me too!

He really should do a Let's Play.

J-Alfred:
Yeah, I agree with Yahtzee that re-reviewing Fallout 3 (I mean, reviewing New Vegas) would have been a waste of time. The only thing that would be lacking from his Fallout 3 review would be Liam Neeson and the complaint about subway tunnels.

If you were to simply look at a gameplay trailer, yeah Fallout new vegas would look similar to FO3. Except underneath its a vastly better designed, written, and thoughtful experience. Building your character actually MATTERS this time around, with the various stat checks effecting how you approach quests. The main quest doesn't rail road you down a single path, leaving you free to ally or turn against different factions. You can conveniently act nicely towards a faction only to backstab them at their weakest moment. You also have the option to just screw EVERYONE. It terms of actual roleplaying, New Vegas is one of the best RPGs to come out in years.

The setting is also far more coherent this time around. There is a semblance of civilization, towns, and power struggles between the various factions and gangs. Unlike Fallout 3 where after 200 YEARS everything is still completely destitute. Bethesda simply recycled plot elements from FO1 and 2 haphazardly hoping no one would notice.

Knoxy:
While the video was funny and it's always nice to change things up a bit, I have to ask: Where was the actual review bit? More in Extra Punctuation maybe?

He said at the start that he had already made a review...the fallout 3 review. So just watch that and you will know his feelings about New Vagas.

Funny part was I knew it was going to end with something rather silly, and comprehending the character to just freeze up upon seeing New Vegas was enough to make me snicker for a few moments >:3

KillerRabbit:

Evilsanta:
Ahhh...The Fallout Crashes...I dont miss them.

Anyways is this game any good? Besides the crashes that happens now and then is the game any good?

I am on my second play through of the game now, and I have only crashed once when I was alt-tabbing from fallout 3 to windows like 20 times in 1 minute due to checking score of a hockey game.

I can't speak for consolse, and I realy don't see a point in why anyone would play this kind of game on a console (?) since PC verision is superb compared to them. But on my Win 7 64bit system everything run fine.

And I completed the game before the patch came out! (And I am still unsure if steam has applied the patch to the game or not?!)

Anyway: This game is well worth buying! 9/10.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'seeing the point' of not playing the game on the pc. Does the pc make the game better? Does it raise the immersion? I woundn't think so.

It would appear as if we've come to the conclusion that the game is buggy.
Yes, yes it is.
It's also one of the best games of the year and I haven't even done hardcore mode yet.

As much as I loved hearing from Yahtzee his experience of playing New Vegas, this is one of those reviews where I am left dissatisfied by the review itself. This is more of "My time playing Fallout New Vegas and disregarding the game" than "What New Vegas has that Fallout 3 doesn't". Or even "Did you know the guys who made Alpha Protocol?"

Ah whatever, I'm expecting too much from Yahtzee at that point. I mean who actually attempts to beat a game once to review it?

KEM10:

Ultratwinkie:
you're telling him to shop on black friday? are you trying to kill him?

Sonic Doctor:
No, don't try to fight the hordes on Black Friday. Injuries will happen.

Am I the only one here that has been to a live concert? Black Friday is nothing compared to front row of Gogol Bordello or Rise Against. Hell, I've been to bar shows that have more mayhem in them.

Many years back I was couple rows of people from the front at a POD concert. It was standing room only, I almost got totally knocked down twice, the second time was halfway to the floor.

It was awful, it smelled like somebody around me took a shit in their pants and I could barely hear anything for several days.

It was the first and most likely the last concert I go to. I only went that time because my friends were going and they encouraged me to go because they said a person must experience at least one concert in his life. I actually never listened to POD that much before I went.

I personally would go to a concert again, only if there was a reasonable amount of space for people to move around and people weren't acting like insane people jumping around an pushing people, which most likely ends in somebody getting trampled.

Entering the Strip worked for me... once. Every time since, it crashes, and corrupts the autosave and the previous save game. Unfortunately, I sent my companions to the Hotel, and can't get them back.

Then, 70 hours in, I reloaded my last save game to discover that items in my inventory are from the DLC, and need to reinstall it to work, with the following message saying it can no longer find my storage device. I figured i'd try the save game before it. Same deal. I went back through the 20 previous saves, happens every time. I figure it takes a special kind of Fail to have a bug that corrupts that many save games.

This game simply isn't ready for release.

its really a great game besides the bugs which fucking piss me off. you think after fallout 3 they would of fix the same bugs.... my own review is like this as well... Great game same crabs. Easier to play however and more enjoyable.

Scarecrow 8:

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'seeing the point' of not playing the game on the pc. Does the pc make the game better? Does it raise the immersion? I woundn't think so.

While this game is perfectly playable on consoles, with PC you get all the community mods which include essential bug fixes, gameplay/difficulty enchancements, general additions, and new quests. Basically it extends its value tenfold.

Like this community mod that add in epic sandstorms. Here is an example http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/sappan_2007/falloutNV2010-11-0816-00-08-96.jpg

Condiments:

Scarecrow 8:

While this game is perfectly playable on consoles, with PC you get all the community mods which include essential bug fixes, gameplay/difficulty enchancements, general additions, and new quests. Basically it extends its value tenfold.

Like this community mod that add in epic sandstorms. Here is an example http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/sappan_2007/falloutNV2010-11-0816-00-08-96.jpg

That does sound a bit nice, but I hate every man, woman and child on the planet so I don't like dealing with online communitys. And I'm too lazy to bother to download mods or make them....so I think I'll just a patched version of the game for the console.

Dante Spears:
While good comedic value, where the hell was the review?

In the same place as his 'Review' of Duke Nukem Forever...

It was taking a holiday so he could be HILARIOUS.

just a quick thing to point out...
caffine - in soda actually does make you more thirsty in real life... JUST so you know...

Loved the review yahtzee! very funny, and it beats the old and stale version of review... you know i do love ur other reviews, but doin the same thing over and over isnt as fun (as you have said in some of your reviews), so it's nice to see you do something different once in a while... :D

Sakurazaki1023:
Damn, I was hoping he would review something new and interesting... like Vanquish...

Why does everyone say Vanquish is new or interesting? It's maybe a tad more interesting than Army of Two, but so is paste.

This felt unusually shorter than your standard. Was this game THAT shit?

Roofstone:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?

probably already answered, but really it only adds to what you need to keep an eye on.

you can play on very easy with hardcore mode turned on, the main differences are that your followers can be killed, and you need to eat/drink/sleep or you die.

also, only doctors bags or actual doctors can heal limbs.

all that is what you need to survive to get a 100 gamerscore achievement/gold[platinum?] trophy.

its more of a pain in the ass than actual immersion, mainly due to it not being its own difficulty level, had it been its own difficulty, then it might of been a little bit more awesome.

Cid SilverWing:
This felt unusually shorter than your standard. Was this game THAT shit?

nope, just the game itself is short as hell, there are only 4-5 main quests with about a ton of sidequests.

if you were to do just the main questline, you could beat it in about 5-6 hours.......tops........

I liked fallout new Vegas honestly, but I did enjoy the his work non the less. (was going to his piece, but then it came to be that's pretty gay. I did just say something about piece and came in the same sentence wow.)

Loved the review and i felt that it where pretty precise to how most people play the game ^^

It's been a while, but finally a new Zero Punctuation I can honestly say I liked. Good job, mister Croshaw.

Atmos Duality:

Drunkbot:
This is why I wait for the Game of the Year Edition. Hopefully by then the beta will be over and all the annoying lock ups and glitches will be gone.

Sigh. This is where the gaming industry wants their standards set. Mission accomplished.
How can a buggy-as-fuck half-baked blingfest even be nominated for a Game of the Year title?

This sort of thing really pissed me off with Fallout 3. Please don't let the same thing happen to New Vegas, because it honestly doesn't deserve GotY either.

To be fair; its competition is in the same class (albeit, less buggy) since they're all sequels too.
Halo: Reach, Mass Effect 2, CoD4 Mark III Black Ops, Starcraft 2.

I miss the days where GotY was given out to fresh experiences, good gameplay, and COMPLETE GAMES rather than what took Gold in the last two years.[/rant]

I do like these "Hands-on Summaries" Yahtzee. Do them a little more often.

so a game regardless of how good can't be a game of the year?

so we can conclude you enjoyed it yeah?

cause yaknow you didn't bugger out halfway day 2 :3

I don't know if it's incredibly necessary to the continued running of the site or not, but I personally found the advert at the beginning extremely annoying.

I'm not sure if he liked the game or not. It was still entertaining though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here