The Escapist Final Fantasy Timeline

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This is a very poorly done timeline...It's missing basically every spinoff title, including Tactics.

Yet, My Life As A King gets a mention.

...Who the fuck did this list?!

This is awful! So much missing, so much...bad.

Disappointed Escapist. First that new Movie Bob shite and now this...

There are a lot of comments saying what this time line missed, but i think that this is a good start. Seriously, if one is to make a full, detailed time line of "final fantasy"... it would take a veeeerrrrryyyy long time. You have to consider everything related to final fantasy. Think of all the fan fictions and cos players... actually dont... but think of all the landmarks, records, apperences, ect. this is a hard timeline to make.

Pretty weak timeline. Either stick to numeric entries or do EVERYTHING.

And no it wouldn't take long. I could compile a more thorough list in a few minutes.

What no FF: Tactics? So you chose to exclude an iconic game that pretty much popularized turn based grid games together with the Advanced Wars series?

I hope there will be an update soon or the God of Geek Gaming (ha alliteration) shall not be pleased.

Wow, I'm glad the Escapist did a Final Fantasy timeline, but it's painfully obvious that whoever did this is not very familiar with the series, or was strapped for time/space. No mention of the absolutely stellar Final Fantasy Tactics (or any of its less stellar but still quite good sequels), the unique and inventive Dissidia, Crisis Core:FF7, or any of the Crystal Chronicles games. Not to mention the fact that the descriptions are very non-specific and only talk about sales numbers... no mention of the fact that IX has the highest metacritic rating of all the PS1 Final Fantasies, or that VI is considered a classic and way more than just "the one that happens to be named VI". Come on, guys, I know you can do better than this. If you're not going to do it right I'd rather you didn't do it at all.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, FFVI was one of the first well-known JRPGs to have a female protagonist. Think that might have been an important detail, considering you gave absolutely none for VI?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Final Fantasy 1, 6 and 12 were the best games of the series and each game after that got progressively worse until the next awesome game (i.e. 2-5 slowly started to suck and then 6 was awesome, 7-11 slowly started to suck and 12 was awesome, etc). So lets hope my theory holds when Final Fantasy 18 comes out.

As for this timeline, it's kind of lacking to be honest. I agree with Indignation, there are either lots of things missing or too much information. If you're going to include non-canon stuff like Crystal Chronicle bullshit (sorry but to me, that's not a real final fantasy game), then include ALL of the non-canon stuff. If not, leave it all out.

Lastly, one thing I've always wanted to say just to get fanboys to shut the hell up for once, and I'm going to go against my normal policies and shout this.

FINAL FANTASY 7 IS AMAZINGLY AND GRATUITOUSLY OVERRATED. THE ONLY REASON IT'S SO POPULAR IS BECAUSE IT'S 3D. PLEASE STOP DROOLING OVER MEDIOCRE QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT!

P.s., the sci-fi elements of a game called Final Fantasy are getting rather irritating.

Missing some titles, but I enjoyed reading that. Thank you. :D

I can see the hands leaning towards VII, though. For shame. ;P

I like FFVII.... don't be hatin' y'all

That list was a bit of a garbled mess. At first it just looks like you are doing the core numerical series, which is fine, but then you start throwing in all the other random stuff and neglect others.

Like people have said, where the hell is tactics? Crisis Core? Dissidia? Crystal Chronicles? and all the other offshoot games? Not all of them may be great, but they deserve as much recognition as the rest of the series if one is to do a timeline.

Hmm, well it's a shame it couldn't be something akin to the amazing FF retrospective on Gametrailers but in non-video form. That would have been incredibly entertaining to see.

Saying The Spirits Within was not a financial success is putting it lightly.

I lost a lot of respect for The Escapist today.

Nice middle finger to a franchise that helped lay the foundations for many RPG's and JRPG's.

Syntax Error:
Saying The Spirits Within was not a financial success is putting it lightly.

It is the reason Square Enix exists and Hironobu Sakaguchi left.

This was a rather disappointing list, and I don't even need to mention why. Others in this thread have already pointed out many reasons.

Edit: But hey, nice shout-out to FF7, even though it's an overhyped, overrated game. Yeah, it's great (no, it's not. It's quite mediocre), but others are more deserving of a shout-out (some of which more-deserving members aren't even mentioned)

1337mokro:
What no FF: Tactics? So you chose to exclude an iconic game that pretty much popularized turn based grid games together with the Advanced Wars series?

I hope there will be an update soon or the God of Geek Gaming (ha alliteration) shall not be pleased.

ITT: Fire Emblem doesn't exist

To be fair, obviously not in America, but still

Lol, on page four where FFXII is released, it looks like she's picking her nose..

Onyx Oblivion:
This is a very poorly done timeline...It's missing basically every spinoff title, including Tactics.

Yet, My Life As A King gets a mention.

THEY MISSED MY FAVORITE FINAL FANTASY!
THEY!
WILL!
BURN!

Escapist, you failed to mention Crystal Chronicles in lue of noting the use of final fantasy music at the Olympics.... I am disappointed.

Still, its an interesting time line but is a bit bear. I fell the WoW time-line had far more stuff, but maybe you guys just had more time for that. Still, not as well crafted as others you have made.

Not feeling the ff6 love, shedding a few tears...

Bitch, bitch, complain, whine, cry, whine, obvious observation, blah blargety blah, missing entries, bitch, complain... ah fk it, see for yourselves:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/the-final-fantasy-retrospective/4831 (cheat code accepted!)

WARNING:
VERY long. Thirteen 15-minute videos

Wow I can't believe they bring up wiiware titles and over look Final Fantasy Tactics, arguably the best game in the series.

I might as well reiterate what everyone else is saying.... what the hell? Tactics gets no mention? This is almost enough to start a small war over.

er timeline? Zelda barely has one FF dose not they are separate worlds separate contained story's within the same meta-verse.

so no tactics mentionings?
Final fantasy mystic quest?

come on this list is missing a lot of stuff.

[quote="K Graphite" post="6.244113.8895041"
.... that helped lay the foundations for many RPG's and JRPG's.[/quote]

JRPGs yes, RPGs no, not really.

And it`s not called "layed foundations" it`s more of a gave them something to clone deal.

I remember when that linkshell fought PW for 18 hours straight. It was kind of legendary. Oh I remember when I cared about FFXI. SE pretty much kicked me out the door with the level increase since I really did not want to grind to 99.

Also chiming in about missing titles.

I'm gonna make my own FF timeline:

1990 - s69-5 sees a neat box with the words "Final Fantasy" in his local game rental store. He rents it and falls in love. Purchases the game sometime later.

1992 - s69-5 buys an SNES. First two games wanted: SF2 and FF2 (FF4). Unfortunately, FF2 is sold out. He buys SF2 and Contra 3 instead.

1993 - On a trip to the U.S., s69-5 finds FF2 and purchases it instantly. He fawns over the manual for the entire trip home.

1993 - s69-5 reads a tiny preview (with one pic) for FFV in a gaming magazine. He is excited for the release in North America.

1993 - s69-5 rents Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. Is a bit disappointed, but hey, it was a rental!

1994 - s69-5 unwraps a wonderful X-Mas present in the form of FFIII (FFVI). A very happy christmas indeed.

1997 - After hearing that Square had jumped over to the Sony platform, s69-5 buys a Playstation in October. Buys Wipeout XL and Final Fantasy VII immediately.

1998 - s69-5 rents FF:Tactics. Pulls an all-nighter, unable to draw himself away from the screen. Closes his eyes to finally sleep and dreams of "Act --> Attack". Purchases the game sometime later. Becomes his favourite FF game ever made.

1999 - s69-5 purchases FFVIII. Mixed feelings about it at first, but soon became his favourite of the numbered series once he understood the mechanics of it.

1999 - Rents Ergheiz. Not really an FF title, but contains some characters from the series. Now let's never mention that game ever again.

1999 - s69-5 purchases FF: Anthology. Is ecstatic to finally play FFV after waiting for 6 years. Is not disappointed.

2000 - s69-5 is the first to walk out of his local EB with a copy of FFIX. Enjoys the game, and the nostalgia trip, but is also a bit disappointed by the lack of customization overall. Also thought both Zidane and Kuja were female (the first and only time he ever made that mistake).

2001 - s69-5 actively passes on FF: Chronicles since he still owns the SNES carts of both of the games included.

2002 - s69-5 borrows his friend's PS2 for a month to play FFX (as he could not yet afford a PS2 himself). He enjoys it, but finds it disgustingly easy. It is also the first time he uses an analog stick.

2003 - s69-5 buys a PS2 and FFX at the same time.

2003 - Buys and enjoys Kingdom Hearts

2003 - s69-5 rounds out his collection by purchasing FF: Origins and finally gets a chance to play the previously unreleased in NA, Final Fantasy II.

2003 - s69-5 is actively dismayed by Square's decision to release FFXI as an MMO. Is the first numbered FF game that s69-5 has never (and will never) own.

2003 - Buys FFX-2. Considers this game to have the best ATB system ever devised (due to speed). Thoroughly enjoys it, even as others pan it. Is up with FFVIII in his books as best numbered FF game.

2004 - Finally beats the only FF super boss to give him a problem - Omega Weapon in FFVIII. He does this while extremely drunk (and has never been able to match this feat while sober).

2005 - Purchases FF:Tactics Advance for the Gameboy Advance. Finds that it is not nearly as good as FF: Tactics, but still enjoyable.

2006: Tries demo of Dirge of Cerberus. Avoids game like the plague forthwith.

2006 - Purchases Kingdom Hearts 2. Loves it, though considers Sephiroth to be a joke in this game. He was much harder in KH1.

2006 - Purchases FFXII. s69-5's wife beats the game and Yiazmat before he does as she was not permitted to work yet (waiting for Permanent Residence status). s69-5 does eventually accomplish these feats as well. But neither he or his wife continue on to beat Omega XIII. Maybe he will go back into someday.

2008 - Receives Crisis Core for X-Mas. Has fun with it, but wishes the slots were less random. Then notices that maybe they aren't random. Is unsure.

2008-2009: Watches his wife play the FFIII & FFIV remakes on her DS.

2009 - Receives Dissidia as a Birthday present. Has been in his PSP almost exclusively ever since. BEST PSP GAME EVER!

2010 - After years of waiting, purchases FFXIII. Finds it fun but flawed. Battle system is best since X-2, but story is lacking. Does enjoy having an all girl party again though!

2010 - Purchases Crystal Defenders for his wife, who happens to enjoy Tower Defense. s69-5 plays it occasionally.

2010 - s69-5 is holding his (almost) newborn baby boy as he obtains the Platinum Trophy for FFXIII.

2010 and beyond! - Actively passes on FFXIV. Pay 2 play? No dice!
Is also still waiting on FF: Agito XIII and FF: Versus XIII. Is excited for Dissidia: Duodecim.

The only thing weird about this list is the My Days as King entry. It seemed like they were shooting for a list of the numbered entries plus some events and leaving the spinoffs out up until that point.

Overall, this is just a basic entrypoint list for someone who isn't that engaged in the franchise. Sure there's more but if you put everything on there you're going to scare people away. You and I know tactics is a grid based SRPG but a layman is just going to be weirded out that a game with the same title has completely different gameplay.

Mythrignoc:
Personally, I'm of the opinion that Final Fantasy 1, 6 and 12 were the best games of the series and each game after that got progressively worse until the next awesome game (i.e. 2-5 slowly started to suck and then 6 was awesome, 7-11 slowly started to suck and 12 was awesome, etc). So lets hope my theory holds when Final Fantasy 18 comes out.

As someone who holds 5 up as the best FF I distinctly disagree. I'm really gameplay based though as the stories of FF games have never impressed me. 9 also pops up here and there as a player's fave FF title and in my experience its almost definately favored over 8. But hey, arguing tastes and all..

To me X-2 would've been the best game ever if they'd lost the uber happy Charlie's Angels vibe, the gameplay is a brilliant cross between class management and timing based combat. Its too easy to break the game with some overpowered combinations though, I reckon they rushed it out the gate. Such a waste of good ideas that game was.

That the class-switching has been relegated to the MMO's makes me a sad kitty (I don't like puppies) as it probably shuts down the possibility of 5's or X-2's gameplay coming to a single-player game again.

Some obvious titles, that others have already mentioned, were missing.

On an unrelated note, you crazy Americans and your method of writing the date.

Lagao:
A bunch of FF material missing from the list!

True, true. I was hoping for a rather complete list of all the games bearing 'Final Fantasy' in the title. This timeline looks a bit like Wikipedia to me, I apprechiate the Escapist's effort, though.

It's very pretty but rather disappointingly lacking in content. Not just the blatant absence of several games but also the lack of information ON those games. I'd be very interested to know what the sales were like for all of those games, what the special reward was for those cosplayers etc.

Although I did enjoy those extra related events - synchronised swimming, the first concert. iTunes. Very spiffy.

You know, you could have asked ANY FF fan and they'd have done a far better job at this timeline. Why bother with it at all?
It's more than incomplete, it's... weird. So the birthdate of the first FF creator or the orchestra thing is relevant but half the games and TV series are not. Focusing on style a little too much it seems

s69-5:
I'm gonna make my own FF timeline:

2000 - s69-5 is the first to walk out of his local EB with a copy of FFIX. Enjoys the game, and the nostalgia trip, but is also a bit disappointed by the lack of customization overall. Also thought both Zidane and Kuja were female (the first and only time he ever made that mistake).

Don't worry. You're not the only one. Kuja is the trappiest trap to ever trap traptown. He shames even Bridget.

Tempest13:

1337mokro:

ITT: Fire Emblem doesn't exist

To be fair, obviously not in America, but still

I never played Fire Emblem. So I can't say anything about it. For me and allot of my friends it was FF Tactics and Advanced wars.

I don't comment on things I don't know anything about so I can't exactly speak to the quality of Fire Emblem. It was probably a good game if you liked it.

About Final Fantasy being considered one of the best RPGs of all times by many, I think it is more like it being considered the best by many and one of the best by everyone who has ever played it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here