Preview: Homefront

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Preview: Homefront

No one fights as hard as a man fighting to protect his home.

Read Full Article

Any game that tries that hard to put Americans in the position of underdogs will get nothing but scorn from me.

Looks interesting, or at least as close to a sequel to Freedom Fighters (a game I loved even if it wasn't brilliant) as we're going to get

This is one of the few 2011 games that I intend to buy ASAP.

Zhukov:
Any game that tries that hard to put Americans in the position of underdogs will get nothing but scorn from me.

May I ask why?

OT: A baby constantly crying in the backround while you play? Fuck that, that's annoying enough already.

Steve Butts:
THQ's upcoming shooter puts players in the boots of an American guerilla, fighting in the resistance movement against a successful North Korean invasion of the United States.

Aaaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahhahahaha

*gasp*

Aaahahahahahaah

Seriously. I just read this out to my family in the living room. Everyone burst out laughing, even the dog. Just this ridiculous premise on its own has put me off. I know it's just a game, but come on.

Should've made it a Canadian Mountie Invasion of the USA. At least that's a bit more plausible. =P

Oh god this looks so good... I love the whole 'action magnetism' thing they've been talking about.

Plus THQ is one of my favourite publishers. Can't wait!

Danny Ocean:

Steve Butts:
THQ's upcoming shooter puts players in the boots of an American guerilla, fighting in the resistance movement against a successful North Korean invasion of the United States.

Aaaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahhahahaha

*gasp*

Aaahahahahahaah

Seriously. I just read this out to my family in the living room. Everyone burst out laughing, even the dog. Just this ridiculous premise on its own has put me off. I know it's just a game, but come on.

Should've made it a Canadian Mountie Invasion of the USA. At least that's a bit more plausible. =P

with chinese and russian backing that is incredibly possible actualy...

OT: i think the premise of the game is awesome, america is not unconquerable, in fact we'd be rather squishy if sumone gets on our soil

The plot for this game is so silly, how do these guys

the socially crippled, dirt-poor bunch of loons armed with guns that were outdated decades ago, manage to invade the USA?

China could probably pull it off a few years into the future (assuming they somehow disarm americas nukes), maybe Russia could to. But North BLOODY Korea?!?!?

Actually, never mind. Just checked on wikipedia, North Korea has an army of about 9.5 million (mostly reserves) while America has about 2.5 million (mostly active). Assuming nukes are somehow out of the picture, and that China and/or Russia are funding or arming the North Koreans they'd probably be an even match. The NK would need support from other nations though, otherwise the American air superiority would just end it all in a few weeks.

Of course, the amount of guns per person in america would mix things up, but thats what the game is about.

Had to wiki to find out the game's platforms.

On the premise: How do we know a korean-run US wouldn't be better than the farce that exists now? It's Kim Jong-un, not Kim Jong-il. Granted, civilized nations don't "conquer" others; they buy them out from under themselves, until it's too late to stop them. See what China is doing now, through Wal*Mart and every other outsourcing fink-co. The game's premise is a bit sketchy, actually, since China would have an interest in protecting its investment, and China is the second, silent superpower.

Also, is there a reason to protect the mother and child in that house? Without a family connection I doubt I'd feel anything for them. Hope the game doesn't force you to save them.

pumuckl:

OT: i think the premise of the game is awesome, america is not unconquerable, in fact we'd be rather squishy if sumone gets on our soil

Justify that first claim. With Chinese and Russian backing I think it's still incredibly unlikely that a nation of only 27m malnourished, cloistered people could ever possible take on a nation of 300m well-fed, well-supplied, gun-toting civilians, let alone the national guard and army proper.

You'd be substantially less squishy than many other countries if an enemy gets onto your soil.

WOLVERINES!!!

It figures that bastard Kim Jong Il would stall the invasion until after Swayze died of cancer.

This storyline is hilarious at best, what about the US Navy? There's no way Korea could invade the US, I mean seriously, are they completely out of ideas?

Now a Russian-Sino coalition, in which Korea is part of, could invade the US. That is likely. But not Korea, by gods no.

I've watched the trailer for this game and I must say I find it to be a rather silly scenario to say the least. That America somehow misses all this changes and what they could hold for the future of the world seems unlikely, as well as the fact that europe is mysteriously absent in this conflict.

"The team members hope to focus on the memorable moments that define certain games, but were quick to remind us that "games aren't driven by story first." Mechanics must come first, according to the creators in Montreal, and the fiction is just there to "make the mechanics sticky." More than once, we were told that Half-Life 2 was a particular inspiration in this regard, primarily for the way it allows story and gameplay to occupy the same moment."

I can't explain enough how much I find this passage distasteful. A game wherein gameplay mechanics and the plot simply coexist by "occupy[ing] the same moment" is not a game worth playing. If Half-Life 2 was such an inspiration, why wouldn't they do justice to the source and allow for a marriage of gameplay and plot? I'll walk you through it. Using the source engine you immediately absorb the information that you, the protagonist, are in a downtrodden city in the grip of a dictator. This huge idea in the plot is made possible from the use of gameplay mechanics. They exist in a union. Opinions from game developers like this make me not want to spend money on their works.

Nolanp01:
This storyline is hilarious at best, what about the US Navy? There's no way Korea could invade the US, I mean seriously, are they completely out of ideas?

Now a Russian-Sino coalition, in which Korea is part of, could invade the US. That is likely. But not Korea, by gods no.

Not just the navy, but also the Air Force.

Plus there's the fact that Chine would probably stop them, since we are their best customer after all.

Nolanp01:

this is what i was saying, if sumone was to attack america they WOULD NOT be alone, and we as a country dont have the cold that saved russia, the small island coastline that has more or less saved britain, or the sheer numbers that makes no one want to attack china... chinas numbers, russian technology, korean craziness and we'd be royally boned

plus we were saved last time we were "invaded" by rugged individualism, the fact most ppl owned guns, and most ppl had made a living shooting sumone at sum point, that doesnt exist today... foreign enemy crosses our border we'd retreat IMMEDIATLEY i meen we called for an end to the iraq war after a few thousand deaths.. imagine if a war with a few hundred thousand deaths on the first day crossed our borders, we'd be in a panic with no moral, and we couldnt nuke our problem away... we're not even that good of soldiers compared to evenvietnam, andeven iraq dida goodjob beating us down... if they found a way around our navy we'd be in a serious war

pumuckl:

Nolanp01:

this is what i was saying, if sumone was to attack america they WOULD NOT be alone, and we as a country dont have the cold that saved russia, the small island coastline that has more or less saved britain, or the sheer numbers that makes no one want to attack china... chinas numbers, russian technology, korean craziness and we'd be royally boned

All moot, because you have nukes, and can always use them to get out of a situation.

Right:
Cold wasn't the only thing that saved Russia, see food shortages;
The coastline wasn't the only thing to save Britain, see the battle of Britain;
No-one wants to attack China because they have nukes, not because they have numbers- see Korean War;
Russians have inferior technology;
Numbers are useful, but not so much when you transport them halfway across the world- imagine the logistics;
No you wouldn't. If we're pulling allies into this, then you'd have much of Europe on your side, too.

foreign enemy crosses our border we'd retreat IMMEDIATLEY i meen we called for an end to the iraq war after a few thousand deaths.. imagine if a war with a few hundred thousand deaths on the first day crossed our borders, we'd be in a panic with no moral,

Retreat? What! It's different fighting a war on your own soil than it is fighting it somewhere else. Retreating in Iraq is no indicator, especially given the ridiculous patriotism in the USA. God. Think about things for a moment. You might consolidate, but you can't retreat if there's no-where to go. That'd be a surrender, which would never happen.

we're not even that good of soldiers compared to evenvietnam, andeven iraq dida goodjob beating us down... if they found a way around our navy we'd be in a serious war

Ugh. If the other major powers tried to invade it would likely become a pitched, old-style battle rather than the guerilla style wars you're citing. They would want to use their tanks and aircraft and would be thoroughly pwned by yours. As much as I might dislike the USA, the claims you are making as to your vulnerability are ridiculous.

You don't even consider the economic barriers to a war like this.

dogstile:

Zhukov:

May I ask why?

Placing the player/protagonist in a position of insurmountable power is not conducive to a dramatic scenario or an enjoyable story.

The makers of this game are clearly aware of this.

However, they are so attached to the idea of an American hero that they have to cook up a ridiculous scenario in order to have a America in the position of underdog.

Hence the scorn.

pumuckl:

This is just shifting the scenario from one impossible thing to another. North Korea wouldn't stand a chance against either of them - Russia's air force is still strong enough to flatten the entire country of North Korea, and fighting China would be hopeless just on the numbers. Which means that the only way this could work is if the "support" they're getting is willingly given, in which case saying that North Korea is attacking the United States is ridiculously inaccurate. That's like saying that the Iraq War started when Australia invaded Iraq with the support of the Americans. Basically, if China and/or Russia are providing direct military assistance, the war pretty much automatically becomes one between the US and THEM, with North Korea as an afterthought :P

I don't mind games making up unlikely or impossible scenarios at all, but you still have to call a spade a spade.

Danny Ocean:

Logic.

Pretty much.

Earthmonger:
Also, is there a reason to protect the mother and child in that house? Without a family connection I doubt I'd feel anything for them. Hope the game doesn't force you to save them.

I'm making the assumption that most players are decent enough to save babies who don't happen to be related to them. I realizethat may not be the case.

It's not a scripted objective necessarily. If the Koreans get close enough to kill the baby, it's a sure bet you've already been killed anyway.

HankMan:

WOLVERINES!!!

It figures that bastard Kim Jong Il would stall the invasion until after Swayze died of cancer.

Beautiful.

Also, I like the idea behind the game, although I still think World in Conflict has it slightly more believeable. Alternative Cold War, Russia invades, I understand, but Norht Korea? I mean north Korea, really?

Plus, it's going to be hard for British/European/Russian/North Korean players to care as much about the protagonist, or their own success, as it is for the American players. Ha.

Danny Ocean:

Logic.

Verbal, historically accurate internet-thrashing, complete.

I'm actually more interested in the multiplayer, because it's mechanics look very promising (gain point for completing objectives or killing, can spend these points on equipment, vehicles etc. You can even buy a tank or helicopter!)

If I end up buying the game, I'll probably only play the singleplayer for the trophies, as the story is completely unbelievable.

blue_guy:

Actually, never mind. Just checked on wikipedia, North Korea has an army of about 9.5 million (mostly reserves) while America has about 2.5 million (mostly active). Assuming nukes are somehow out of the picture, and that China and/or Russia are funding or arming the North Koreans they'd probably be an even match. The NK would need support from other nations though, otherwise the American air superiority would just end it all in a few weeks.

Those numbers mean about spit. The USA has 300 million people living within its border--NK a tenth of that, at most. If it ever came down to war, two million highly-trained (compared to the Koreans), extremely technologically advanced (compared to Chinese and Russian military equipment) American soldiers could hold off one million Korean regulars and eight million reservists doing the human wave until enough reinforcements could be trained to stomp North Korea into the dirt five times and still have leftovers. This is also true for China, Russia, and India. Unless America somehow lost its entire air force and NK still had its air force, in which case the Koreans would really need to learn how to fly their planes so they could win.

Anyway, yes the premise is silly. It's honestly about as silly as the premise for Red Dawn. Two huge, heavily-populated, nuclear-armed nations aren't going to go fisticuffs, that's amazingly stupid. Russia could never have beaten the USA conventionally, just like United States tanks could have never rolled into Moscow--they couldn't have even gained much strategically from fighting, because at the end of the day the other side would still have nukes, and that's all that was needed for negotiation. NK's got nothing to break that stalemate, certainly, but neither did the two superpowers, so I say: let it play out. Freedom Fighters was fun enough, hopefully this will be two.

Aphroditty:

Yeah, I was just about to reply to that post. Basically, North Korea gets that "nine million" figure because it has mandatory conscription at the age of seventeen. That nine million strong army includes about 40% of their total population. They're poorly trained, if they've received any formal instruction at all, and dismally equipped. North Korea's actual standing army is about one million troops. Even if you assume that NK could get them all rallied up to fight, there's still the matter of GETTING them to the US without the American Navy playing target practice with 'em all the way across the Pacific. It just ain't happening.

People really think that our only missile defense is nuclear power... Our country has thousands of intercontinental ballistic missiles. If North Korea ever attempted to send their navy across the sea (somehow assuming our navy doesn't work for whatever reason, because we really only have to fear the Chinese when it comes to naval power, and only as being able to seriously damage our navy, not defeat it) we would easily be able to sink each of their ships without ever seeing them. Missile guidance systems are amazingly accurate, and if we want to, we could strategically fire missiles to sink each ship they send over. Someone said that there are 9.5 million troops in Korea? Wrong, 1.21 million. Not to mention the US has the ability to start a draft, our country is made up of 300 million people, of which at least 50 million would be able bodied, and if our country was under risk of attack on our shores, a draft would start immediately. The US in 2008 was responsible for 41% of global military spending. We are completely safe from any non-superpower. Oh also, the Koreans still have an artillery guidance bureau and use WWII weaponry. Video games make people think that there's serious threat from these weak powers like Korea because games like call of duty puts our balanced weapons and vehicles in the game. Korean tanks still have that poor guy up on a .40 machine gun waiting to be shot. Our hummers don't even require that anymore. Even if there was a fight on our soil with no air support, or naval support, or missiles, or tactics, we'd still be able to destroy most of their WWII and cold war weapons without a second thought. Also, if North Korea is going to invade anyone, it's south Korea, and then we'd probably fire a few non-nuclear missiles to make them stop.

i think the game presurposes that america has been crippled by rampant un-regulated capitalism...which seems to be happening right now.

i hope the game stresses parallels to the iraqi insurgency, as we are currently in the north korean role in that present day occupation.

dogstile:

Zhukov:

May I ask why?

I'll answer this one...

Because some of us are tired of playing games where the main point is that USA is awesome and other countries suck and are just there to either invade or laugh at...

Ari Brown:
"The team members hope to focus on the memorable moments that define certain games, but were quick to remind us that "games aren't driven by story first." Mechanics must come first, according to the creators in Montreal, and the fiction is just there to "make the mechanics sticky." More than once, we were told that Half-Life 2 was a particular inspiration in this regard, primarily for the way it allows story and gameplay to occupy the same moment."

I can't explain enough how much I find this passage distasteful. A game wherein gameplay mechanics and the plot simply coexist by "occupy[ing] the same moment" is not a game worth playing. If Half-Life 2 was such an inspiration, why wouldn't they do justice to the source and allow for a marriage of gameplay and plot? I'll walk you through it. Using the source engine you immediately absorb the information that you, the protagonist, are in a downtrodden city in the grip of a dictator. This huge idea in the plot is made possible from the use of gameplay mechanics. They exist in a union. Opinions from game developers like this make me not want to spend money on their works.

You beat me to it. The notion that game mechanic is more important than story and that if they are both good it is mere happenstance, is appalling. Why make a video game if this is what you believe? They should just make bloody algorithm software for supercomputers or something if that's how they think. A game mechanic is a way of explicating the story, of ensuring that the world in which the game is set becomes tangible, of moving the story along, of creating balance and flow. But it's rendered null and void by a crap story. I loathe the trend in games making nowadays that puts 'look what our new engine can do' or 'the new combat system will allow...' ahead of the story. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Story first, game mechanic 2nd and in support.

Well I really like the idea of playing as a guerrilla fighter against an occupying force and it seems like they are trying to get that feel for this game. Its a bit early to tell if it'll end up good or not, but I'm hoping that it'll deliver. Plus having the guy who very influential on Red Dawn (WOLVERINES!) is a good sign that the story will be good.

And as for those laughing at the fiction behind the story, it doesn't seem so silly to me. Yeah at first it doesn't seem realistic that a small, posturing nation that is heavily into poverty could take on one of the world's superpowers, but the game doesn't take place in the present. If I remember correctly its about 10 or so years into the future. And in that future Korea has been united as one country and "allied" with (read: scared into subjugation) several other Asian nations such as Japan and most of Southeast Asia. The US on the other hand is kinda falling apart due to economic problems (I noticed that high oil prices were one of them) and civil unrest due to a sharp increase in authoritarian policies adopted by the federal government. So rather than the scenario I mentioned above, instead its a newly rising superpower taking on a vestigial empire that's falling apart. Plus something about an EMP attack on the US which would wreck havoc with the infastructure. Its a stretch, but it makes it more believable.

I find it laughable that everyone here is discussing the complete impossibility of North Korea attacking and successfully invading the US.
What I find more important to find out is, brace yourselfs:

How is playing as an arab insurgent and their methods somehow distasteful, but playing as an american insurgent, practically doing the same, is A-OK with anybody...
I noticed this since Freedom Fighters (absolutely loved it), where you blow up soviet stuff, kill thousands of men, most of them would have family at home, and generally only want to drive them out of your homeland, so that anything can turn back to how it was before.
HOW IS THAT OKAY, when practically anything the insurgents do in Afghanirak is entirely the same?

If I hate one thing, then it is double standarts (when you do it, it is evil, when I do it, itīs OK), and this is one that I carry around and noone was able to answer.
I donīt ask for personal preferance, because I would be fine with playing as anything if it would show a REALISTIC perspective, and not glorify it to heaven and back, I ask because of the usual media outcry that follows such things, and how the general audience for such games thinks about this.
So my questions stands...but I should probably make itīs own topic for it. However, everyone who thinks he has a satisfying answer (or even his opinion), can PM me at will.

Zhukov:

dogstile:

Zhukov:

May I ask why?

Placing the player/protagonist in a position of insurmountable power is not conducive to a dramatic scenario or an enjoyable story.

The makers of this game are clearly aware of this.

However, they are so attached to the idea of an American hero that they have to cook up a ridiculous scenario in order to have a America in the position of underdog.

Hence the scorn.

Actually, I can agree to that. However, they may just be basing it on the notion that some people might not want to play as an american asian, or african american. Scraping the bottom of the barrel here though.

GWarface:

dogstile:

Zhukov:

May I ask why?

I'll answer this one...

Because some of us are tired of playing games where the main point is that USA is awesome and other countries suck and are just there to either invade or laugh at...

America was successfully invaded. I'm pretty sure that country doesn't suck if its managed to beat your air force and navy.

Edit: I realise that country sucks in real life. However, its a game.

Im intrested in this game although that baby wont get any emotion from me.

Was hoping it would be more Freedom Fighters & less Turning Point. It sounds like I will be disappointed.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here