Critical Miss: Noobgrues

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

There is too much truth in this one. Too much.

Hyper-space:

This here people, is what puts me (or as Scrumpmonkey would have preferred, someone not equipped to do up his fly) off most text-based adventures. Until someone comes up with a text-game that has more than 1 correct wordings for each action, ill keep on playing RPGs.

Have you even played Zork or the infocom adventures? I'm not sure what game that guy was playing, but 90% of the time in an Infocom game, typing what you want to do will perform exactly the action you want to do. (Just be careful with 'it'.) My favourite part is that 'poke' is a synonim for 'attack' so you can go around poking your enemies. (Or your enemy since there's like one or two per game.)

Of course the solution for the puzzles are still completly insane, but if you get the 'deluxe' editions with the built in hint system it's worth it.

I remember playing Zork, a little while ago. Didn't play for long- I do love old games, but I have to be in the right mood to play them. Also I had just recieved a fabulous new copy of Morrowind GOTY.
Might go and try again, now.

Hey, have they been plastering entire walls with Black Ops posters anywhere else? It's ridiculous; our JB HIFI has every previously empty stretch of wall covered with so many of these stupid posters, that I'm not entirely sure you are allowed to leave without buying the game.

TimeLord:

Andronicus:
It's weird they should put Zork in. Why would the average CoD player want to play a text-based game, even as just a diversion? Or, better still, would the average CoD player even know what a text-based game is, or how to play one?

I resent that! I am an average CoD player and have played a couple of text-based games in my time.

OT: "Quickscope Grue" made me laugh

The very fact that you're on this forum makes your argument invalid. You are not the average CoD player.

archvile93:

Delusibeta:

archvile93:

Ah yes the classic creative thought method of clicking random inventory items on random things in the environment in the hopes something will happen because you already tried the things that made sense and they didn't work. And who could forget the classic 'you missed the all important item that there was no indication of it mattering or even that you could pick it up and now you can't go back and get it so the game is unwinnable. have fun starting back at the beginning asshole! Oh, and were not going to tell you where you screwed up either, or even that you screwed up at all.'

You've been playing Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy, then.

King's Quest and Space Quest actually. My dad had a few that a tried, I didn't like them. Text games are even worse.

Example: The door to the room I'm in is locked, there is a key on the table.
Me: take key
Game: I can't do that
M: Get key
G: I can't do that
M: Grab key
M (starting to get annoyed): pick up key
M: Why won't this fucking thing work!? *thinks for a moment* walk over to table
G: You are now in arms reach of the key
M: pick up key
G: I can't do that (I didn't word it right most likely)
M: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!

Ah, Sierra games tended to be incredibly unfair as far as death/game-logic went. Try some of the old Lucas Arts adventure games. Particularly 'Sam & Max: Hit the Road', 'Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle' and 'The Secret of Monkey Island' (1 &2). Those old SCUMM games were wonderful.

Wow, it has Zork in it? I might consider getting it after all.

Grey Carter:
Noobgrues

The average Call of Duty player is about as well equipped to play Zork as I am to eat the sun.

Read Full Article

Aren't you better equipped to eat the sun then anybody that has ever lived? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/7873-Critical-Miss-20

Scrumpmonkey:

Hyper-space:

Generalizations, we just love them. Nothing makes me feel more welcome amongst other players than rampant elitism.

This here people, is what puts me (or as Scrumpmonkey would have preferred, someone not equipped to do up his fly) off most text-based adventures. Until someone comes up with a text-game that has more than 1 correct wordings for each action, ill keep on playing RPGs.

What? I can't state that CoD is basically lowest common denominator? It's not elitism, it's fustration. Im not just generalising, these people exists in real life and part of what has debilitated them is the hand-holding, lead by the nose play-stlye of the call of duty games.

How is CoD "lead by the nose play-style"? all it does is show you where you have to go and thats it (just like in dragon age, fallout 3 etc.), it does very little else in effort to help you, you seem to be confusing having only one difficulty setting with accessibility.

I'd rather be regarded as an 'elitist' than be one of those intolerable fuckwits who disregards a game like masss effect becuase "It has no multiplayer, therefore it sucks" (yes i havwe heard this, from 10 different people). At least i have a basic grounded knowlege of other generes, series and stlyes of games. The narrowmindedness of many who just play the yearly CoD releases is staggering, THEY are the elitist ones, juding every other game for NOT being CoD.

OH MY GOD! TEN DIFFERENT PEOPLE! you must like, know EVERY CoD player there is! hearing that 10 different people do not like Mass Effect because it does not have multi-player leaves you with a 10:10,3 million ratio, your experience does not give in any way a clear picture of the CoD user-base.

So Listen, you are obviously mad, maybe someone who plays CoD insulted your favorite game, i don't know. But heres the thing, some people like party games (Wii Sports etc.) and some people like JRPGs, to expect EVERYONE to like your favorite game or share the same preferences as you is ridiculous. CoD's user-base is large because it introduces a lot of people who otherwise do not play video-games to the medium, meaning that not everyone has played Zork or that one obscure adventure game you really liked as a kid, and guess what? thats perfectly okay. You do not go around expecting everyone who has seen a movie to know who Max Schreck is. Why do it with video-games?.

No, text adventure games are not user-freindly and are very obviously outdated. That was never my point. My point was this and i stand by it; Much of the CoD fanbase are narrowminded, chuckleheaded and killstreak obsessed and have VERY little understanding of the wider gaming landscape but INSIST on commenting on it at every oppotunity. No, a lot of the 14 year olds who obsess over killsteaks could not find their fly. Zork is antiquated, i get that. Mass Effect 2 is not.

I have played Cod:4, MW2 and now black ops. I tried mass effect 2 and did not like it, that is my opinion, and you have yours.

To suggest however, that 90% of the CoD player-base is narrow-minded, chuckle-headed and killstreak obsessed is frankly, elitist, stupid and narrowminded. You live in a clear cut, black and white world where only intelligent people play Mass Effect 2 and your personal top ten favorite games of all time and only Neanderthals play CoD.

But who am i kidding, i am probably just another knucklehead who cannot see how the guy who judges over 10 million people based on his small experience with them is not in ANY WAY elitist.

Scrumpmonkey:
You average Cod player is barely adequatly equipped to do up his own fly, i don't think 90% of the CoD audience will be aware adventure games ever existed, nevermind text adventure games or something demanding creative thought or any kind of reasoned choice.

So because someone plays CoD immediately makes them some form of ill-educated individual because they haven't experienced very infuriating and unintuitive "interactive" games?

You fall into the "average CoD player" archetype if anyone for being an elitist, self loving fool.

There's a reason text based games were ushered out and its because they were so dam restricted and linear; the true meaning of linear.

I play games for fun - not to sit pondering the chain of events that one person wrote into a code that allowed me to "win" whilst anything outside of that meant I "lost".

If you find completing such tasks fun then good for you, but it doesn't make you better, it just makes you different.

I know people who have given up on Half Life 2 becuase it dosen't tell you exactly where to go and hold your hand and every monent. I mean Half Life 2 isn't exactly the least linier game in human history and they can't even cope with that. Nevermind that most people think if you aren't shooting at something RIGHT NOW the game is "Boring". I would love to see the results of a CoD head attempting to survive in the zone of exclusion. There's no regenerating health here boy, quite the opposite if you hit radiation.

I feel the same way for the most part, if I buy a shooter game I find it boring if I'm not shooting something. Same as if I buy a racing game I find it boring if I'm not racing, a puzzle game boring if I'm not solving something.

In no way should that be viewed as a sleight on my tastes - funnily enough I buy a car to drive, not for it to read me a bedtime story.

I guess to get to a wider audience things need to be acessible and i do get that (that's the main point of motion controls, simplicity. but people MUST realise that for more complex tasks a controller/ M=KB are infinitely better) but there is 'acressible' and down right 'played for you'

Your arrogance radiates through to the very last sentence. You forget that someone that isn't established in a medium is going to struggle with a concept as complex as hand eye co-ordination, user input management and action management using an interface that is completely alien to them.

Motion controls, namely Microsoft's Kinect, are brilliant because they remove as many boundaries as possible to enable the maximum amount of enjoyment. Look at how many people jumped into the gaming medium when Nintendo made it infinitely more accessible with their two very well designed pieces of hardware. Does this make these patrons somehow stupid because they couldn't enjoy a medium with such ridiculous barriers to entry previously?

To you, it probably does - and as much as you think you're of the higher tier of humans you're not, you're the lowest possible rung.

Plus you're an idiot because you can't X-Up a five set and I can.

A game within a game. Well that's one way to attract people into buying Black Ops. I think I'll be buying it next week.

Scrumpmonkey:

Hyper-space:

Generalizations, we just love them. Nothing makes me feel more welcome amongst other players than rampant elitism.

What? I can't state that CoD is basically lowest common denominator? It's not elitism, it's fustration. Im not just generalising, these people exists in real life and part of what has debilitated them is the hand-holding, lead by the nose play-stlye of the call of duty games.

I'd rather be regarded as an 'elitist' than be one of those intolerable fuckwits who disregards a game like masss effect becuase "It has no multiplayer, therefore it sucks" (yes i havwe heard this, from 10 different people). At least i have a basic grounded knowlege of other generes, series and stlyes of games. The narrowmindedness of many who just play the yearly CoD releases is staggering, THEY are the elitist ones, juding every other game for NOT being CoD.

No, text adventure games are not user-freindly and are very obviously outdated. That was never my point. My point was this and i stand by it; Much of the CoD fanbase are narrowminded, chuckleheaded and killstreak obsessed and have VERY little understanding of the wider gaming landscape but INSIST on commenting on it at every oppotunity. No, a lot of the 14 year olds who obsess over killsteaks could not find their fly. Zork is antiquated, i get that. Mass Effect 2 is not.

No, you can't make generalisations like this. Not unless you enjoy being wrong. I play Call of Duty, for the most part I enjoy them though Black Ops is my least favourite to date.

I also enjoy RPGs of the video game and tabletop variety. I've been gaming since the late 80's and I enjoyed my first text adventures in the early 90's, which progressed into Sierra-style adventure games (I must have played through the Space Quest and Police Quest series so many times I could do them again now from memory), not to mention the plethora of brilliant games produced by Lucasarts back in the day - Sam and Max Hit the Road, The Dig, and of course the acclaimed Monkey Island series. I've dabbled in MUDs, MMOs, simulators, and strategy titles.

Playing COD does not automatically lower my IQ. The main reason a "typical" COD fan might fail to appreciate a game like Zork is because they probably weren't born in an age where an entire game (or multiple games!) could fit onto a single 5 1/2 inch floppy disc.

Immediately pigeonholing all COD players into a category of allegedly inferior intellect for the sole purpose of heaping scorn upon them makes you a terrible person.

Your assertions are bad and you should feel bad.

Scrumpmonkey:
I know people who have given up on Half Life 2 becuase it dosen't tell you exactly where to go and hold your hand and every monent. I mean Half Life 2 isn't exactly the least linier game in human history and they can't even cope with that. Nevermind that most people think if you aren't shooting at something RIGHT NOW the game is "Boring". I would love to see the results of a CoD head attempting to survive in the zone of exclusion. There's no regenerating health here boy, quite the opposite if you hit radiation.

Oh, oh dear, oh my god. I'm getting flash backs to a CoD playing friend who couldn't get through "A Red Letter Day" without a little assistance from my friend and I, spent weeks in "We Don't Go to Ravenholm," and changed Gordon Freeman's nickname to Lebron James, as Lebron James was faster to say. The chant, "Go Lebron, go!" will be forever in my mind.

Scrumpmonkey:
You average Cod player is barely adequatly equipped to do up his own fly, i don't think 90% of the CoD audience will be aware adventure games ever existed, nevermind text adventure games or something demanding creative thought or any kind of reasoned choice.

I guess to get to a wider audience things need to be acessible and i do get that (that's the main point of motion controls, simplicity. but people MUST realise that for more complex tasks a controller/ M=KB are infinitely better) but there is 'acressible' and down right 'played for you'

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of CoD players who go below the line of intelligence, but there are also a good number who are actually decent people who's first instinct is not to insult you or your mothers' sexual decency and call your sexual preference into question.

I, for the most part, like the CoD series, I used to like love MW2, but now that game is just a joke in my eyes, I was Danger Close - noobtubed, and Marathon, Lightweight, Commando'd one too many times. Anyways, like I said, I like CoD, but I dislike the fact that because all of a sudden CoD has become synonymous with twitchy, enraged idiots, that I get lumped in with that group.

I mean, come on. How many times do you actually encounter a problem with someone on PSN or XBL that can't be fixed with a well placed mute, or block?

Well, I guess I'm done rambling now, because I'm starting to fall asleep where I sit.

OT: That's awesome that they included that in there.

Omg they actually did that? That is so awesome. I can't wait to see the faqs for black ops now that include Zork walkthroughs. We've passed into strange territory here. And I like it.

Wow, great comic. :)

As far as the general discussion goes, it gets to the gist of things. At one time gaming existed mostly as an intellectual exercise, as the people using computers were very smart. Today with gaming going mainstream and drawing in the lowest human denominator who are after immediate, flashy grafication, and more of an easily understood reflex challenge (if any challenge is to presented at all) things have changed.

Oh sure, the tech for text adventures is pathetic today, I'm not defending it on those grounds, however the fun of those games was to figure them out, and as the solution always made a degree of sense it was fun to be going "dur! I should have seen that all along" once you finally figured it out.

When it comes to things like Sierra's "Quest" games, you also have to realize that they depended on the "nerd factor" of the people playing them, and people to either have (or obtain) a given body of knowlege. For example in "King's Quest IV" knowing the story "The Frog Prince" makes it easy to deduce what your supposed to do with a golden ball knowing that your character is a princess.

Also in both of these types of games there was copy protection of a sort involved in that the games only acknowlege certain verbs/action words, and some of them are not straightforward. The Docs would tell you which words the game was likely to accept and this made things much easier as one of the two or three ways of saying something in the docs would typically function for obvious things. Guys bringing these games back without the docs seem to have missed this to be honest.

The point is kind of valid though, your typical "Call Of Duty" gamer is not going to have much interest in actually solving puzzles, or derive much satisfaction from figuring them out. Even puzzle gamers today usually less free form things like pattern recognition games (puzzle quest) and the like, rather than having to figure things out on their own.

I think the number of people involved in gaming has changed the standards, and is why things like RPGs and actual "adventure games" are dying (or at least no longer the focus of the industry). I suspect this will change a bit when the current "mainstream" gamers who are pretty young grow up and slow down, but things will never go back quite like they were before.

As far as the old "adventure game logic" of using every item you have on every part of a screen, well as someone who really played those games as opposed to talking out of my keister about it, I will say that this was not as effective a technique as many people seem to think (and only became remotely viable when you had mouse/icon based games). It worked sometimes, but typically the developers thought of that and there were some amusing ways to get killed by using an item in a certain place that nobody would have thought of unless they were doing that paticularly. Not to mention the whole issue of needing to combine objects in inventory, or use items in a specific sequence.

As far as being able to mess up games permanantly, I have mixed opinions about that, but in general with most of the old adventure games they weren't all that big. Once you knew the solution to a problem it was easy to blow through, the playtime coming from puzzling things out. So if you really did wind up getting yourself stuck later on down the road and figured it out, replaying the game to that point was annoying, but typically not the game busting occurance it would be now because it probably wouldn't take all that long.... of course there were execeptions. For me the timed portions at the beginning of "King's Quest 3" and walking up and down the path from the wizard's house was the most annoying thing ever.

Scrumpmonkey:

Hyper-space:

I would point out how hypocritical you are calling anyone narrow minded after your little tirade there but apparently my enjoyment of CoD doesn't allow my mouth-breathing, knuckle dragging self to formulate an opinion. I'm sorry I wasted your time people.

Oh well, I guess it's back to playing games and enjoying them instead of becoming a frustrated vessel of bile and rage.

...His tits are bigger then mine!?

HOORAY! I lost weight!

About the strip it self, man that's a whole new form of geekdom for me, even though I gotten the joke.

Dohohoho all CoD players are retards. You funny guy.

I feel like I should be laughing.

Lol. "Quickscope Grue."

TimeLord:

Andronicus:
It's weird they should put Zork in. Why would the average CoD player want to play a text-based game, even as just a diversion? Or, better still, would the average CoD player even know what a text-based game is, or how to play one?

I resent that! I am an average CoD player and have played a couple of text-based games in my time.

You're an average player? Reeeeeally? =P

Sinclose:

TimeLord:

Andronicus:

You're an average player? Reeeeeally? =P

What defines an average player? I would have thought someone who plays it regularly?

Or is a regular player the kind who calls everyone in the lobby a twat before the game starts and then proceeds to shout into his or her mic when the team isn't doing well? Cause that isn't me :P

The_root_of_all_evil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game_andrew.shtml

Holy shit that thing sucks, hard. First time I tried it I got out of the door just in time to have the roof collapse in on me and the planet blow up while I was one the way to the hospital. The second and third time it wouldn't even let me out, it just kept on having me run into the damned wall over and over again.

SultanP:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Holy shit that thing sucks, hard. First time I tried it I got out of the door just in time to have the roof collapse in on me and the planet blow up while I was one the way to the hospital. The second and third time it wouldn't even let me out, it just kept on having me run into the damned wall over and over again.

Oh man, you've not played half of it yet. That's a game for REAL MEN/WOMEN. ;)

If it's not making you pull your hair out, you're doing it wrong. :)

The_root_of_all_evil:
"Quickscope Grue"

I actually scared the cat from laughing so hard.

I don't know whether I'm lucky from having no cat to scare, or unlucky for having no cat to scare.

In any case, I laughed just as loudly as I'm sure you did :D

Andronicus:

Stop with the disgrasion dog.

Iron Mal:

As much as fans of adventure and text based games will deny this, they have largely died out for a very good reason (the above post touches on just one of these reasons).

Let's face facts people, these games had more than their fair share of suckage (sure, some of them were funny and clever but that didn't keep them from being any less annoying and unintuitive).

Back to the comic though, it made me laugh although it's kind of sad to think that there is no doubt at least one person out there who will do and say exactly that.

Actually, if you search some of the Interactive Fiction competitions, there are a lot of advances made about this - in the same way that platformers and FPS's advanced and learned from their past, so too have a lot of creators of text adventures. They don't get sold anymore because it is a niche market, but the experiences that people are creating for these games are amazing and deserve to be recognized.

But really, are those who have nostalgia of classic text adventures any more crazy than those that have nostalgia for the overly-punishing platform and shooter days of yore? I posit no, just that games with graphics seem to be more easily sold to the public.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Died out? Oh no...

God damn this game is immpossble. the impossibleness of this game is unquantafiable. here is what I tried to do...

team star pug:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Died out? Oh no...

God damn this game is immpossble. the impossibleness of this game is unquantafiable. here is what I tried to do...

You could always turn the light on? You have been drinking quite heavily. Something about a message from the council?

Probably doesn't matter though, as long as you get a hair of the dog. Speaking of the dog, he does look rather hungry.

I'll leave you to figure out how to get the little yellow fish. That will take days :)

Scrumpmonkey:

Hyper-space:

Mass Effect, really?

Mass Effect, the game game that tries to make up shoddy gameplay mechanics with an above average story. It's like trying to read a nice book, but every other page is upside down and after each chapter you have to grease the tires and wheel of your car then drive for ten minutes, before you can continue, and if you lose 'The Game' you have to go back to the page your bookmark was at last. If it wasn't for it's story no one would play it, ever.

So yeah, someone who enjoys the actual game part of the game probably wouldn't like Mass Effect. They're not narrow minded, and those "It has no multiplayer, therefore it sucks" guys, maybe they prefer to have experiences created through social interaction instead of through a story, although they probably should try a story-centered game at least once.

'The average CoD player.'

That is unbelievably condescending. I know plenty of people who play CoD, and I would certainly place them as an 'average CoD player' who worked their way up through the nineties playing text adventures. It's like saying that the average Final Fantasy player is a whiny fifteen year old or the average World of Warcraft player is a thirty-year old living with his parents and is hugely obese because he stuffs himself full of cheetos in an effort to keep away the black despair of his virginity because no girl has ever looked his way.

Stereotypes used this way in comedy do not help gaming culture. Comedy should shine a light on an uncomfortable truth, not try to hide it in farce.

It would be AAA entertainment to watch the stereotypical CoD player play "Lunatix". They'd probably go insane.

feather240:

Scrumpmonkey:

Hyper-space:

Mass Effect, really?

Mass Effect, the game game that tries to make up shoddy gameplay mechanics with an above average story. It's like trying to read a nice book, but every other page is upside down and after each chapter you have to grease the tires and wheel of your car then drive for ten minutes, before you can continue, and if you lose 'The Game' you have to go back to the page your bookmark was at last. If it wasn't for it's story no one would play it, ever.

So yeah, someone who enjoys the actual game part of the game probably wouldn't like Mass Effect. They're not narrow minded, and those "It has no multiplayer, therefore it sucks" guys, maybe they prefer to have experiences created through social interaction instead of through a story, although they probably should try a story-centered game at least once.

Well, SPEAKING of generalizations... this could end up being one of the most ironic posts yet. I had no troubles - ABSOLUTELY NONE - with Mass Effect's gameplay mechanics. I don't understand how people could. I didn't play it for the story (although it was quite good), I played it because it was a space RPG. Your massive (and confusing) hyperbole on how much the gameplay of Mass Effect sucks makes you look... well... reverse fanboyish, and your assertion that no one would play it for the gameplay itself is hilariously at odds with what has been written above.

lacktheknack:

feather240:

Scrumpmonkey:

Mass Effect, really?

Well, SPEAKING of generalizations... this could end up being one of the most ironic posts yet. I had no troubles - ABSOLUTELY NONE - with Mass Effect's gameplay mechanics. I don't understand how people could. I didn't play it for the story (although it was quite good), I played it because it was a space RPG. Your massive (and confusing) hyperbole on how much the gameplay of Mass Effect sucks makes you look... well... reverse fanboyish, and your assertion that no one would play it for the gameplay itself is hilariously at odds with what has been written above.

Vehicle sections, wonky cover, glitches... It's both bad and broken. Maybe I am biased, after all it is my least favorite game ever.

What I'm saying is that it wouldn't appeal to people who enjoy playing games for a challenge it appeals to people who play games for atmosphere and story.

feather240:

lacktheknack:

feather240:

Mass Effect, really?

Vehicle sections, wonky cover, glitches... It's both bad and broken. Maybe I am biased, after all it is my least favorite game ever.

What I'm saying is that it wouldn't appeal to people who enjoy playing games for a challenge it appeals to people who play games for atmosphere and story.

The vehicle sections were great (GASP!), and the extent of the glitches I found were two missing textures (that found themselves). And the cover was fine.

I guess my computer is charmed.

And that being said, Mass Effect on Veteran was one of the most satisfying and fun things I've played. Odd.

lacktheknack:

feather240:

lacktheknack:

The vehicle sections were great (GASP!), and the extent of the glitches I found were two missing textures (that found themselves). And the cover was fine.

And that being said, Mass Effect on Veteran was one of the most satisfying and fun things I've played. Odd.

My cover didn't always work, my vehicle had weird turning, and a side-quest crashed on me, also, freaking elevators. Besides that I was having fun. What system do you have it for?

feather240:

lacktheknack:

feather240:

My cover didn't always work, my vehicle had weird turning, and a side-quest crashed on me, also, freaking elevators. Besides that I was having fun. What system do you have it for?

PC, I used an Athalon 2600+ and Geforce 8800 GTX on Vista last time I played.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here