The Big Picture: Who's Afraid of Captain America?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

And Cap was never 'Anti-American' he was just pretty liberal, you had the perfect symbol for the critics with Stan from American Dad, Cap is all about America's principles, he was just rarely big with the governments politics/actions, and there is a big difference.

Wow, I sound like a proper American patriot... But no I'm afraid I'm just a cynical brit unable to find his place in the world because he doesn't like tea.

Does that mean the we are stuck with Captain Canuck?

Awe .... comic book universe, you make me sad!

ok as a brit patriotism isnt really my thing... Not unquestioning patriotism at any rate..

But I really like captain america.

Why?

Because when written properly, and not the love it or leave 50's asshole the tea party geeks want to suck off then cap has always been pretty cool. Winter soldier, death of captain america, ultimates, civil war... even the mark waid secret agent stuff I always thought cap was pretty cool.

Because believe it or not, when you take the rush limbaugh, fox news, tea party madness out of the equation america is actually a pretty cool place..

oh and god bless hunter thompson who narrowly beats cap to my position of no 1 american ever by virtue of being real.

I feel like you got a little scared of going in-depth here, Bob. Captain America's a complicated question, and trying to balance an appropriate amount of patriotism with not being propaganda is a difficult balance. I'm not sure why you did three minutes of actually talking about Captain America and then another minute and a half or so of Street Fighter jokes. I mean, I guess do whatever you want, since it's your show and all, but I feel like you could have actually addressed the issue with any depth at all, and it would have been a more worthwhile video.

I don't always agree with your thoughts on topics by any means, but you usually write interesting things, so I was excited to hear what you'd have to say about Cap... and I'd still like to hear what you think about him at some point.

bj_waters:

omegawyrm:
Hey Bob, I don't know if you know this or someone already mentioned it, but that idea you mentioned about a grand tournament between each country as an alternative to national conflict? That's the plot of a totally awesome anime called Mobile Fighter G Gundam, except it's got martial artists piloting giant robots instead of fist-fighting. It's got tounge-in-cheek racial caricatures of most major countries and is totally awesome.

Huh?

Okay, I admit that I really haven't watched G Gundam but I came away with the idea that it that was pretty weak. Such diverging opinions.

G Gundam is the Batman: Brave and the Bold of Gundam shows. You have to accept it's cheesiness and enjoy it for that.

Like the two shows of this we have so far. Though, yeah, this one sidetracked a bit but that's Bob's right. It is his show after all.

Two things, though:
#1: Superheroes are almost solely an American thing. The national/cultural identity of most other, particularly European countries, has been well established through, often, thousands of years of habitation and folklore. Our "superheroes" generally do not wear spandex as they come myth or history, Thor, Herakles, Alexander the Great, Caesar, Arthur and so on. I guess we could do those... but wait, Hollywood has already claimed them as their own. I'd love to see the Nordic countries unite to make a Thirteenth Warrior-esque movie out of Norse myth, though.

#2: Since the Second World War European countries, and Germany and Austria in particular, have frowned upon ideas of "my country is the best" as being too close for comfort to Nazi ideas and by extension as being a path to a new war. Talk of what Americans call "patriotism" is practically (or actually) illegal in many European countries... except for when it comes to football, as you rightly point out.

So chances of anyone but the US making a "patriotic superhero" movie? Practically nil.

bob if two country's wanted to beat the crap out of each other i don't thing Street Fighter would help. i thing i would be more along the lines of MORTAL COMBAT!

That was kinda fun. Series is still finding its legs though, I think.

jspheonix:
Cap is all about America's principles, he was just rarely big with the governments politics/actions, and there is a big difference.

Exactly. That's what I always got from the character. One who loved the principles of his country and when they were enacted, could not be prouder. When they were corrupted, could not fight harder.

I did read a Judge Dredd comic years ago where it established national conflicts were resolved by each country sending five guys to a ruined city on the moon to hunt down and shoot each other in an Unreal Tournament-style team deathmatch scenario. The Soviets were cutting down the Americans with their particle beam that could shoot through walls, until Dredd sussed out the weapon's limitation.

As for other countries' nationalism:

(Edit)--I had a four-paragraph explanation about this, but Afterglow said pretty much the exact same thing in two sentences, so read that instead:

Afterglow:
#2: Since the Second World War European countries, and Germany and Austria in particular, have frowned upon ideas of "my country is the best" as being too close for comfort to Nazi ideas and by extension as being a path to a new war. Talk of what Americans call "patriotism" is practically (or actually) illegal in many European countries... except for when it comes to football, as you rightly point out.

Matt_LRR:

Hollywood's not going to make an Alpha Flight or Captain Canuck movie, and the National Film Board of Canada sure as hell can't afford to fund one.

I could see an Alpha Flight getting a movie, or at least being in one entirely because Wolverine being one of their former members. Granted they are kind of famous for fighting against Wolverine because they want him to come back and serve the Canadian government, so I'm not sure it would be the Alpha Flight movie Canadians would want.

Also, I am still skeptical that it is physically possible to make Captain America's shield work in live action, especially since he tends to fight a lot of people with guns and isn't acrobatic and stealthy like Spiderman or Batman. I kind of want him to work, but I'm not sure it can.

you know bob they made a gundam series about that one on one fight idea of yours. it was called mobile fighter g gundam. it sucked.

Brubaker.......That's all I have to say.

The guy re-invented cap as a SOLDIER. Which is the whole point.

There is a Captain Canuck movie under way, but no release date yet.

duedmen:

thespis721:

dt61:
Like you touched upon, people usually think of Americans as fat assholes and see Captain America as some sort of bragging. But isn't James Bond sort of like English bragging? Not sure if I understand my point, but whatever.

Also I'm afraid I'm not going to believe Chris Evans as Captain America. Sometimes I forget his name all together and call him Johnny Storm or Human Torch.

Duh. His name is Lucas Lee.

>.> I thought he was lucas wilson <.<

Nope. Lucas Lee in Scott Pilgrim!

dt61:
Like you touched upon, people usually think of Americans as fat assholes and see Captain America as some sort of bragging. But isn't James Bond sort of like English bragging? Not sure if I understand my point, but whatever.

Also I'm afraid I'm not going to believe Chris Evans as Captain America. Sometimes I forget his name all together and call him Johnny Storm or Human Torch.

You know... I sort of dislike America, well some of the stuff america in general have these days:
"News shows" that are not news, just republicans trying to make decent people look bad.
Wars
Ignorant people (Well other countries has that too, but you almost got a vise president that wins the award for it)
Anyways the list goes on... there is a lot of bad things about america.

But HEY! there is a lot of good things too:
Movies, TV series, Comics, games... Captain America...

Wait what did he say?

Captain America?!?

hehe, yeah I like cap, both of them.
You know why?

Because Captain America stands for something more then the petty "news shows" and ignorant religious people.

Captain America stands for Freedom and liberty for all. The mantra of the USA.

This is why Cap didnt fight for the government during the Civil War... because it was wrong.

So yeah, Cap is awesome.

empirialtank:
you know bob they made a gundam series about that one on one fight idea of yours. it was called mobile fighter g gundam. it sucked.

I had no idea that so many people watched this show that hate fun and self-parody. Reminds me of when people online were complaining that the Music Meister was the worst thing to ever happen to Batman.

I dont realy see a problem with a patriotic Cap, America he just looks like a guy that loves his country AND PUNCHES NAZI,S IN THE FACE! what other super can say yeah I punched Hitler in the face?

So basically the big picture is... Street Fighter could happen?

empirialtank:

it didnt suck! it was just less serious! but how serious can you take a series that has a attack called Burning Exploding Finger and has a windmill mech?

Love the jazzy music intro-outro theme Bob, and yes i agree that union-jack does look bad-ass.

Grouchy Imp:
And secondly, I'd say that Britain does have 'superheroes', except they don't wear Spandex and have radioactive powers. Bob, I'll see you an Ironman and a Captain America and raise you a James Bond and a Sherlock Holmes!

Very true. Batman's 'world's greatest detective' element was based on Holmes. However, I now have horrible images in my head of Sherlock Holmes in spandex...

Oh and Bob, you can keep Beckham.

dt61:

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that finds this annoying. Although I'll go one step further than you and say that it down right pisses me off! I mean come on, I understand having the same actor in different movies; heck, even different actors in the same role (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight). But when you take an actor who has played another superhero in not one but two movies from the same comic universe it is just wrong!

Little Duck:
We don't want Becks back. The best day in this country was when we got rid of him.

Can't we just both deport him to some strange private island that he probably already owns and not let him back in?

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
OT: I also want a Union Jack movie, it'd be awesome. Have him played by Jason Statham! That would be awesome!

I wholeheartedly agree! That would be awesome.

But back to the topic at hand, I'd say that having a superhero with the name of a country in it's title goes back to why he had that name to begin with. What is Cap most famous for? In the words of Brad Pitt: "Killin' Nazi's". In a time where America was a superpower and most people liked us, Captain America was a natural choice for a superhero. Why should a bygone era of political triumph be questioned just because of his name? As far as the Street Fighter approach, we'll all get our flag colored asses kicked by Thailand and their national fighting technique Muay Thai. Just watch Ong-Bak, it's awesome! The plot sucks, but seriously, the stunts and action are some of the best things I've ever seen.

Actually the street fighter thing was a pretty good idea...like world wide UFC lol...that'd be fraggin awesome...and you could stimulate the world economy by selling tickets for it.

The concept of champions has been done before bob in the ancient world, the problem was that kings didnt like betting it all on one guy when they had a better chance in a all out battle.

Didn't Japan use sumo wrestlers to settle disputes between the shogunate?

wow, that was rather silly and at times stupid, i thought this was going to be a serious show, not always about serious things but atleast that you would take the topic seriously, it did make me laugh to think about every country having the own "captain", all fine and swell until a middle eastern country gets one and their equivalent of marvel gets bombed for being a terrorist conspiracy, America is not only the only one with a "captain" because they are revolutionary, but because that's the only country with the need for one, and who would want one, Americans seems to get brainwashed into thinking America is fucking gold served on diamonds, all top 40 music mentions that its from USA, or from what state, what general part of the country they are from, and in some cases even the city, i have no idea why they are so patriotic or big headed (when did Americas president become the leader of the free world, i think i missed that election), im not saying America is bad, but its just the only place in love with self enough to have a real American hero.

Disclaimer; i know not all Americans are similar to those represented in the media and not all of them agree that they are the leaders and protectors of the free world, not all Americans think they are better than others, but if you thought i talked about you, i did.

I would like to point out that we in scandinavia do have super heros, one for instance is FUCKING THOR, that was stolen by you guys.. *has rage*

henritje:

empirialtank:

it didnt suck! it was just less serious! but how serious can you take a series that has a attack called Burning Exploding Finger and has a windmill mech?

no it did suck, the series wasn't even a parody. SD gundam is a parody of the gundam series and of action anime series in general. MFGG was simply one massive soap opera that failed in every respect as a gundam series.

Every other gundam series has included three things. 1 giant robots. 2 exploration of the horrors of war both their effects on the world and on the people caught in them. 3 the advantages and weakness of pacifism and non-violent reactions to violent time. MFGG hhad plenty of oportunities to do all three but instead it only included the first and instead waisted the series in one overglorified man child seeking vengance against his secretly good guy brother, his secretly bad guy master and realizing that he secretly loves the woman he's been traveling with the whole time. they only way it could've become more of a soap opera and less of a gundam series is if the afformentioned man child had had a secret evil twin who wakes up from a coma and joins the bad guys.

personally i would've liked the series a bit if had simply been another run of the mill giant robot series but since this was a gundam i have to barate it for not only being rather boring and pointless but also for utterly failing to live up to its pedigree

Too many boring faces...Losing interest...zzzz

How is it that we went to a rant about American Patriotism to settling our differences with Street Fighter Characters. Better yet how is it that I go from the verge of hot Floridian sex with Brandi to man of steel coital debates with you in the food court?

Jamie Oliver and Captain Britain are both from the same county as me... not much added to the topic but kinda glad to see them both mentioned. Even if Jamie is pissing you off, he does that.

OT: I personally love captain America and can't wait to see the film. Although my hopes for a decent green lantern film took a bit of a bashing recently. Also I'd go see Captain Britain.

Yeah,Super-Heroes based on their country woukd really be badass.Actually,I've got a pretty awesome idea already,but I don't think "Ger-MAN" would be a big hit,we're still sensitive about this stuff...

Oh how I revel in the mirth your misery bestows unto me. I had wondered where that egomaniaical brain-dead tedious man had disappeared to, not that I missed his unique brand of self indulgent idiocy, and you had him all along. I think I speak for he vast majority of the English community that aren't football psychopaths when I say, you can keep the waste of good carbon.

I didn't even know the UK had any superheroes whose namesakes derives from our countries. I'm definitely interested in finding out more about Union Jack, he looks bad ass.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here