Preview: Minecraft

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Preview: Minecraft

The game, the phenomenon, the blocks.

Read Full Article

definitely an amazing game with tons of potential. i just hope he adds tooltips for the final version...

I jumped on a couple months ago... still looking for time to really play it. Luckily the community is awesome and keeps reminding me to come back.

Woo! But i hate to admit that i get bored every once in a while, then the next day i find something new to do.

So wait.. Is it supposed to be game?

Pretty good for a game still in Alpha.

I'm so very much on the fence about this. I do love me some Lego building, but I dunno, it just doesn't seem like it'd be more than a diversion rather than a real game. I know that it's because it is in beta still, but something tells me it isn't planning on getting much more complex because that would dilute the point of it all. I've read the articles posted, and looked at the pretty and awe inspiring things people have built, and I know I lack both the talent and drive to do any of that stuff. I mean, I'm the kid who builds what's on the box of Legos using the instructions and then leaves it together, I've never really been the inventive type I suppose. Guess I can just continue to observe from a far and hope that Notch and his new company continue to be successful in what they do.

it seems like a pass time more than anything to me....i played it (i dont know if i was playing a demo version because i could only build with certain blocks....didn't have the freedom that showed in the video) and got hooked in it pretty quickly (i started to build a castle >.>)....but i havent gone back to it be because i didn't have time to but also because i am not that motivated to go to it....now im not saying it is a bad game...i think its a great idea which gives plenty of freedom but doesn't seem like it's that engaging of a game to have somebody come back to it often

I also watched davidr64yt's series on Youtube but I did not try the game yet, I probably never will.

Nice preview, thanks!

Things get a lot more complicated once you start using redstone stuff to make electricity - I spent a good chunk of a Sunday once wiring up my castle doors to open up on various switches around the grounds.

It does lose its appeal in singleplayer after awhile though but if you find a good multiplayer server it becomes awesome - I highly recommend it.

How does the combat work in Minecraft exactly?

archvile93:

The monsters come out(usually at night.) and you right click to attack. You can build swords out of various materials(The better the grade the better damage the sword outputs. So Rock>Wood) you can also build bows. That's about it.

You can also build armor of various kinds to reduce how much damage you take. Those also take the same form of Rock>Wood.)

There's also(Also!) some people who've made traps that usually explode either killing the monsters outright or dropping them into a hole they can't get out of. But those are a little more complicated.

There's no Light>Dark or Ice>Fire type additives to the combat. It's really just that simple.

archvile93:

Click + hold, then point at things until they die.
(Note: all the fights in the video were on Hard difficulty.)

I've tried minecraft classic, does that mean the full game will run fine on my PC?

Such a great game!

Might I shamelessly plug in our very own Minecraft Usergroup?

Also, we have a server! www.escapecraft.com

See you there!

Jim Grim:
I've tried minecraft classic, does that mean the full game will run fine on my PC?

I would say yes. There is a very small chance it may change in the long run, but it should work exactly as Classic did.

I need to stop being lazy and buy this game. I used o play this allot when it was free.

This game is awesome, although I've only played the Alpha so far. It's great for killing some time.

This looks like the best way to creativly waste time on irrelevant online "game". I rahter play a game with clear purpouse - and no online game ever had a good one.

Id say that this is the Perfect game for Creative Maniacs and simple game players.

The hing is: you also can put the difficulty to a point where no Monsters spawn, sounds boring, but the world of Minecraft (the one generated) will still give you enought threads to handle like damn deep cavers where you can get quite easily lost like in a natural grown labyrith or build Structures that make other players go Bwuah? O.o.

I like this game, somehow love it to have a Huge game world that gives me honestly EVERY F-ING Possibility and tells me: GO NUTS! Build Stuff or Burn down an Entire forest.
Heck! On one of my Levels I started to build up a small City close to my castle and ship (actually not working, you still get boats though, but it looks cool. :D ) or whatever you like.

As for a Sandbox game, if you wanna call it that way, it gives you yet the most freedom of all games yet seen I think.

@Badwolf14: Seemes like you played the fully Creativity mode where you dont have to harvest your stuff and cant die and such, thats for... just running wild in the Big Scale.

The greatest thing about this game really is the multiplayer (as bugged as it is). Getting a bunch of friends on a server, all going on a Mumble/Teamspeak/Ventrilo/etc. server and building stuff together is such fun. Our clan has a server and we all have the ability to spawn things, but we're currently doing a joint project to re-create 2fort better than anyone else on YouTube has (based more on materials than the colours, and actually measuring the dimensions in game so it all fits perfectly.

Oscar Bjorklund:
This game is awesome, although I've only played the Alpha so far. It's great for killing some time.

Alpha is still the most recent version, just so you know.

I think the game will kick into high gear for me when survival multiplayer is solid (the Robinson Crusoe gambit is only fun so long), and if we could dial the difficulty a bit more (for whatever reason, day 2 I will *always* be surrounded by spiders and creepers - I'd love to be able to choose "give me gobs of zombies and nothing else").

I love Minecraft. I was recently made single and two months ago I had my account locked by choice. For those two months I have been playing Minecraft.

Now it's still an alpha, no real NPCs, no quests or anything because an alpha is for testing the stability of the game world. That's why it's so slim at the moment, Notch is literally getting the world working.

I recently came up with the idea of wooden scaffolding, I'm building a sky castle and when I'm done I'm going to burn away the scaffolding and use a tree plantation on the roof to access the surface world. Literally burning my bridges should stop creepers!

i love that game. the multiplayer is awesome, i built a big city with some friends.

I've been watching a bunch of "Let's Play"s and other such videos about Minecraft on youtube for a while now and I'm finding myself wanting to get into it more and more. While it does look like at points I may get bored with it, I find the idea of just exploring around and seeing what's been generated in my own little "world" to be very interesting.

Even though multiplayer is missing a lot of the single player features, building stuff in the same world as other people is way more fun

Check out the minecraft escapist group group

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/EscapeCraft

We have active server ops who police against griefing, tons of server mods to make life easier, and a great server that can handle 30-40 players without too much lag.

Very nice review, turned most of the rather open-minded opinions about it into coherent arguments, both pro and contra.

As for my opinion on the game itself, I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my Legos when I was 6. Being able to put all and every creative thought you have lingering in your mind when you think "What could I do with an infinite amount of blocks?" might not be everyone's cup of tea, but when more and more storydriven games leave you with the feeling that that last confrontation could've gone different had you been given more freedom, this is the exact oposite. You get no narrative, no objectives, just building blocks in the most literal sense, for better or worse.

A game that lets you hollow out a volcano to build your base is pretty cool.

A game that lets you pour lava through a mountain using nought but a bucket to make your own volcano which you then make a base in is the kind of game for me.

It's a game you play for a few hours then stop for a bit. Then suddenly you get an idea of what you want to make! So you come back and play for a few hours again. I wouldn't really call it a "game" as I feel it's more of the blank canvas sort. So far I have built a railroad, fort, treehouse, treehouse library, lava house, castles, docks, lighthouses, underwater tunnels, and so much more. I enjoy Minecraft, and will love to see it blossom and evolve.

Best Indie EVER! Must buy for all. :)

OctalLord:

archvile93:

The monsters come out(usually at night.) and you right click to attack. You can build swords out of various materials(The better the grade the better damage the sword outputs. So Rock>Wood) you can also build bows. That's about it.

You can also build armor of various kinds to reduce how much damage you take. Those also take the same form of Rock>Wood.)

There's also(Also!) some people who've made traps that usually explode either killing the monsters outright or dropping them into a hole they can't get out of. But those are a little more complicated.

There's no Light>Dark or Ice>Fire type additives to the combat. It's really just that simple.

You can right click to attack with a sword?
Didn't know that, I've been using left click.

Hey some of these clips are from the escapist server <3

i was really hoping that this would have somethign more than talkinga bout the current alpha.

Thanks, we all know this from twenty different other articles and vids and millions of forum posts. Thnx a lot?

Still bores the crap out of me and had the same appeal runescape did

if I want a GOOD game about CUBES I'll play Cubivore

in fact I wonder what would happen if I gave Cubivore to a minecraft fan... Hmm...

I'm not sure I agree on the point of making the gameplay more focused on objectives, I must say. The minute you start doing that is the minute you start to constrain what sort of buildables are viable towards your success. Minecraft is a blank canvas and a creative tool; putting in arbitrary objectives would actually take a lot of the creativity - and the fun - out of the game for me. Especially in multiplayer.

I think there's a certain case to be made for making the world more accessible to newbies. When I first consulted the wiki (which is itself not particularly well-organised) and found out that to create most of the more complex items I had to create a specific item in the smaller inventory window, which I had only barely registered in and of itself, and then place that item on the floor, right-click and then order more items in a specific configuration...my gut reaction was "How the crap was I meant to figure that out intuitively?"

Some work could definitely be done on that aspect of the game before it proceeds into beta (because with this type of thing, a truly 'finished product' is unlikely.)

AC10:
Hey some of these clips are from the escapist server <3

And SO close to my floating "pyramid" too :(

Though I'm even more sad he didn't include a clip of the "Tomb of Russ Pitts" just for the sake of it ;D

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here