Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Yep, hate this game, hated the first one, and everything this type of garbage stands for.
Thanks Yahtzee for putting it in better words than I could manage through a fuming rage about what Star Wars has become.

I completely agree with your assessment of the entire franchise. It's strange, the thing that sets Star Wars fans apart from fans of, say, Battlestar Galactica, is that Star Wars fans HATE Star wars and what it has become.

The horrifyingly shitty prequels, the Clone Wars, and dare I bring up the Christmas Special?

You will never love a woman as much as George Lucas hates his fans.

Yahtzee you overly creative stallion never ever say the phase "super clue three deathstars together" again because George Lucas might over hear that statement and think its a good idea. I agree with this review, I bought the first the force unleashed and thought the plot, gameplay, and use of characters were all special Olympics retarded. So when I saw the force unleashed II eyeballing me lovingly from across the store begging me too give it another chance I swallowed my pride and rented the bastard. Well got two hours in before putting the controller and murmuring something about how at least the refined the shittiness.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Thick:

But far be it for me to force cognitive dissonance upon you.

Far be it indeed. I just think there's good in three movies that's ruined in other parts. You seem to be suffering from quite an awful set of problems. Perhaps you should look at how you seem to be holding conflicting ideas simultaneously, especially if your marriage is in that much trouble.

By the way, you can't actually force cognitive dissonance. That's a paradigm you create inside yourself from belief disconfirmation, among other reasons.

Those were all just examples. I'm not married and am no longer in school, nor do I dine regularly at McDonalds or drive a car such as I described.

You are right, the first three films are good. The problem is that the franchise has rotted, and you can't claim it is a good franchise while simultaneously acknowledging that most of its content is shit. The things that make a single project good, be it film or book or game, are different from the things that make a franchise good. Namely, a franchise is good if it is consistently placed in good projects. The Star Wars franchise is not, thus it is no longer, and probably never again will be, a good franchise.

Thick:

You are right, the first three films are good. The problem is that the franchise has rotted, and you can't claim it is a good franchise while simultaneously acknowledging that most of its content is shit. The things that make a single project good, be it film or book or game, are different from the things that make a franchise good. Namely, a franchise is good if it is consistently placed in good projects. The Star Wars franchise is not, thus it is no longer, and probably never again will be, a good franchise.

As you're fond of examples, take Mario. He's been in some great games, and some really dreadful games.

Does it mean that all Mario games are rubbish because of Hotel Mario? Nope.
Does it mean that you're delusional if you expect the next Mario game to be superlative? Probably.
Does it mean there can't be any more good Mario games? No. There's a good chance that it'll be shite, but there's always a chance. If I hope that the next Mario/Sonic/Star Wars game is good, and choose to ignore the awful, awful garbage that's been dumped on the franchise, does that make me delusional? No.

Just makes me optimistic that we can have a return to form. I may still be fighting an uphill battle against those that will trot out the Holiday Special, but there's enough goodness in there to provide the means of a good story - by ignoring the insane canon that's been built up since it got popular.

You don't give up music just because Susan Boyle is at number one. Though it's often very tempting.

SFU2 was still a demo that I gave up on though. I'm hoping that one day someone will take the canon and run far away from Lucas, where they can feed it, care for it and make it sing proud again.

That's a dream, not a delusion.

There are lots of great Star Wars games. The last one is five years old though.

I love Star Wars and this game is indeed a kick to mu groin. All my hopes and faith lay in the hands of Bioware.

Hotel Mario! HA!!!

Get the hint?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Thick:

As you're fond of examples, take Mario. He's been in some great games, and some really dreadful games.

Does it mean that all Mario games are rubbish because of Hotel Mario? Nope.
Does it mean that you're delusional if you expect the next Mario game to be superlative? Probably.
Does it mean there can't be any more good Mario games? No. There's a good chance that it'll be shite, but there's always a chance. If I hope that the next Mario/Sonic/Star Wars game is good, and choose to ignore the awful, awful garbage that's been dumped on the franchise, does that make me delusional? No.

Just makes me optimistic that we can have a return to form. I may still be fighting an uphill battle against those that will trot out the Holiday Special, but there's enough goodness in there to provide the means of a good story - by ignoring the insane canon that's been built up since it got popular.

You don't give up music just because Susan Boyle is at number one. Though it's often very tempting.

SFU2 was still a demo that I gave up on though. I'm hoping that one day someone will take the canon and run far away from Lucas, where they can feed it, care for it and make it sing proud again.

That's a dream, not a delusion.

You are so widely missing the point, you're in another timezone from it. To try to compensate for that, I will now speak slowly.

Not. All. Star Wars. Material. Is. Shit. You are justified in being a fan of the original movies, and I hear that a couple of the games are good, too.

But you claimed it was still a good FRANCHISE. A franchise is a concept, a mental accumulation of all the work done with an IP, and a franchise is only as good as the sum of its components. If the bulk of those components are shit, than the Franchise is shit. Even though the Star Wars franchise has become terrible, it does not negate the good qualities in those things that are good. The original films are still good, even though the franchise is shit. One of the games can be good, but the franchise is still shit. You can enjoy some of the traits of the sci-fi universe it portrays, but the franchise is still shit. The very next Star Wars game released may be awesome, but the franchise will still be shit.

The only way to restore the franchise of Star Wars is to have a huge paradigm shift followed by a time of consistent (not constant, consistent) good work as to balance away from the shit. At this point that would have to be like an eon.

LockandKey:

Brendondm:
Funny review, however I am one of the Star Wars fanboys. I just don't think Yahtzee likes any games, which is why I enjoy watching ZP.

He liked Portal
The Silent Hill series
He liked BioShock
He like Half-life (I think)
He likes the original Prince of Persia trilogy.

Call Of Duty 4
Dead Reckoning 2
Gears Of Wars 2 (mostly)
He even admitted that Uncharted 2 was a good game... even if he hated everything to do with its story.

He likes a fair number of games, but he tends to focus on what a game does wrong (probably because it's funnier), so even when he likes a game, there's a lot of negatives and cheap shots being taken.

I actually liked the first game, but then I'm one of the SW fanboys yahtzee calls out at the start of the review.
I'm still not gonna pay $134.00 for this though, once it goes platinum, I'll consider it. If there is anything that did not need a sequel, its the Force Unleashed.

Ultimate Star Wars Punchline for Any Given Star Wars Joke:

"And then George Lucas wrote something."

Woah, woah, woah. Time out. You mean to say that only the first two Star Wars films are good? What the hell!?! Return of the Jedi was fucking awesome!

/rant

Now that I've just proved Yahtzee's point, I'll conclude by saying that this review was hilarious.

Definitely one of your weaker reviews. Just didn't really bring the funny this week.

I'm always hoping that they will finally create another piece of Star Wars media that I can actually enjoy...it seems my search continues.

Azaraxzealot:

Antonio Torrente:

Azaraxzealot:

in the meantime, im going to spend my hard-earned money on good games like Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption

Do you intend to finish Just Cause 2 100%? Because I do

because im a time-whore... no XD
but ill enjoy attaching people to random shit and laughing about it XD
why can't Force Unleashed 2 have that kind of fun? :D

maybe this game is made for the fanboys and the casual audiences not for serious players like us.

I lol'd hard at the Schindler's list easy bake oven.

I remain a Star Wars fan, but only through strict mental effort to forget and ignore anything that happened after 1983. I am aware that something associated with Star Wars exists, but I've learned that the more I pay attention to it, the more it hurts me. Like an abusive husband who wants attention.

MatsVS:
I miss Kyle Katarn. :(

We all mourn his loss.
The team that made Dark Forces 2, Timothy Zahn, Genndy Tartakovsky, and that guy who wrote "I, Jedi" were the only good things to happen to Star Wars in the last 20 straight years.

Netrigan:

LockandKey:

Brendondm:
Funny review, however I am one of the Star Wars fanboys. I just don't think Yahtzee likes any games, which is why I enjoy watching ZP.

He liked Portal
The Silent Hill series
He liked BioShock

Call Of Duty 4
Dead Reckoning 2
Gears Of Wars 2 (mostly)
He even admitted that Uncharted 2 was a good game... even if he hated everything to do with its story.

He likes a fair number of games, but he tends to focus on what a game does wrong (probably because it's funnier), so even when he likes a game, there's a lot of negatives and cheap shots being taken.

And Shadow of the Colossus
And those two sandbox games that came out last summer

Someone should make a Comprehensive List of Games Yahtzee Doesn't Loathe Completely. Because I feel like there's more than just that.

Hey Yahtzee, if you do a review of Fable III, I thought you should know they have a Portal reference in that game as well. Lol

Zeithri:

I love those games. And how dare you to not put the Jedi Outcast series on the goodscale?

..because it's not canon, like S:TFU :p

...... I was really really disappointed by this game. I'm loathe to admit that I was one of those people CONNED into payed $60 for this game that I beat IN 5 HOURS! It would have been less if they didn't keep throwing my into a boss fight with Mecha-Godzilla with the dialogue "How do I kill this thing?" "I don't think you can, just try your best kiddo!" 5 minutes (And 85% or my health) later "You need to force grip the handcuffs!"

Grand_Marquis:

Netrigan:

LockandKey:

He liked Portal
The Silent Hill series
He liked BioShock

Call Of Duty 4
Dead Reckoning 2
Gears Of Wars 2 (mostly)

And Shadow of the Colossus
And those two sandbox games that came out last summer

Someone should make a Comprehensive List of Games Yahtzee Doesn't Loathe Completely. Because I feel like there's more than just that.

Spider-Man 2..... just to add to the list.

At 25 I'm still a Star Wars fan, even if it is a guilty pleasure. Yes, the prequels were an abomination with an awful plot, character and dialogue but to the list of good Star Wars I can add:
-The original trilogy (yes, even Return of the Jedi. It's like a great movie was made but they replaced 30% of it with fluff. It averages out to very good)
-Knights of the Old Republic
-The original 15 minute Clone Wars cartoon shorts(an awful, bastardized version of these was made into the awful CGI movie)
-The Tales of the Jedi comics from the 90's
-The Republic Commando novels by Karin Traviss. Best selling books that...were canceled by Lucas so he could decanonize them for his damn cartoon. F-ck that guy.
-Most likely The Old Republic MMORPG. Sure it hasn't come out yet but it's being made by Bioware and Lucas is keeping his damn hands off!

Brendondm:

So no matter what he says about the game, I will still be playing it, as I will probably find it enjoyable.

He loved the hell out of Saints Row 2 and so did I.

Cabamacadaf:

Oh my goodness. I can't believe that Battlefront II is 5 years old! Has time gone by that quickly?!

I noticed not many mention the X-wing series and the Dark Forces series. I think you can add those to the list of good Star Wars games to the Knights of the Old Republic series.

nipsen:

Zeithri:

I love those games. And how dare you to not put the Jedi Outcast series on the goodscale?

..because it's not canon, like S:TFU :p

Eh, I'm sorry but that argument have no... Nothing.

This review made me sad, as I hoped they'd figure something out to make FU good (like fix the targeting system).

I was quite fond of the Jedi Knight series, from the original Dark Forces to Jedi Academy. I hope they continue the series, maybe add the physics used in the FU series (some of which appeared in DF2:JK.

U.

I may try this game, I liked the first one.

Is it out on pc? cause if it's out on pc I'll try it out. But if it isn't I will not be able to get it.

OT: funny as normal.

They should seriously have STFU'd about TFU after the first game, after that experience I already wanted to drown 'Galen Marek' in his own blood.

I'm glad I knew not to buy it.

There are still good SW games out there, but they're really ruining the franchise with their crappy media recently.

All that the Jedi Knight series, Battlefront and KOTOR did is pretty much undone for me.

Lets just hope TOR can rekindle the franchise.

Kinda off topic, but how many weeks before people stop posting to get 'first' and get suspended instead?

Honestly, if I had watched this moments after release, I think I'd give it 5 minutes just to make sure I didn't come across as a 'first!' monkey. OR is there a 'suspended' badge people are collecting that I didn't know about it.

Anyways, enjoyed the video, unsurprised that it's a poor cash in of one reasonable sci fi movie from 35 years ago.

But, if people are still queueing up to buy the stuff, Lucas will keep on pumping it out.

Hell, if someone was offering me $50 for my turds, I'd be pooping into a bag instead of flushing em away too.

I didn't mean to get quite so scatalogical, but damn, Star Wars fans, there's guinea pigs nudging a pellet button with their nose that learn quicker than you guys.

Dorian6:
I completely agree with your assessment of the entire franchise. It's strange, the thing that sets Star Wars fans apart from fans of, say, Battlestar Galactica, is that Star Wars fans HATE Star wars and what it has become.

Very true, well put.

Cabamacadaf:

Make that fifteen. TIE Fighter was the last really great one.

But the thing is, the Star Wars games will never become better as long as people buy this crap. I sometimes think that for every fan who is in his right mind, there are two idiotic fanboys who have to buy every piece of sh*t that has SW printed on it. Even if it involves a guy who doesn't even know to hold a lightsaber right.

Adrasta:

Dorian6:

Very true, well put.

Cabamacadaf:

Make that fifteen. TIE Fighter was the last really great one.

But the thing is, the Star Wars games will never become better as long as people buy this crap. I sometimes think that for every fan who is in his right mind, there are two idiotic fanboys who have to buy every piece of sh*t that has SW printed on it. Even if it involves a guy who doesn't even know to hold a lightsaber right.

I can understand if you don't think the Battlefront games are great, but do you really not think KotOR and Jedi Outcast are great games?

I wish people would stop looking at things with there head up their arse. Meh....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here