Trailers: Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Pages PREV 1 2

I've actually been wanting a LOTR game that didn't follow the same stories over and over and over again. I know I'm not the only one sick of seeing the same clips and hearing the same sound bites from the movies, repeated ad nausium. It's gotten to the point where if I play a new LOTR game, I skip the intro, because I know what'll happen. (Keep in mind, I NEVER skip scenes).

Hopefully this will be more independant from the movies, which will be good. I look forward to seeing more of this universe.

I looks pretty good, but the trailer doesnt give any indication as to what kinda game it actually is.

Rational-Delirium:
I've actually been wanting a LOTR game that didn't follow the same stories over and over and over again. I know I'm not the only one sick of seeing the same clips and hearing the same sound bites from the movies, repeated ad nausium. It's gotten to the point where if I play a new LOTR game, I skip the intro, because I know what'll happen. (Keep in mind, I NEVER skip scenes).

Hopefully this will be more independant from the movies, which will be good. I look forward to seeing more of this universe.

Lotro is based off the books. Yea there are differances between books and movies.

Fumbleumble:

008Zulu:
Looking forward to this. we all know the events that transpired in the movies/books, but I always wondered what the rest of the world was doing at the time. Battle for Middle Earth 2 shined some light on the events, but never in any really satisfying detail.

Well you're not going to find out from this game... it may as well have been a dog that wrote it for all the relevence the story has.

Is it a bad thing that people want to expand on the world of Lord of the Rings? Granted the story may not be as fantastic as the original, it may prove to be an interesting addition.

OT: I'm hoping this will turn out well. The trailer seemed intriguing.

I really dislike when every LotR game feels it necesary to have an aragorn like warrior, a dwarf with an axe, an elven archer, and a mage. These games really need to take there own view of the universe, with there own unique character designs, and maby even aesthetic ones.

LotRO and Battle for Middle-Earth (and the movie based hack and slashes) are all the movie based LotR games we needed.

manythings:

TheKruzdawg:

manythings:
Another game built on being "Not-Aragorn", "Ain't-Legolas" and "I-can't-believe-it's-not-Gimli". They made an RPG just like this about 8 years ago now, it just shoe-horned your party into every scene possible from the movies. Even when it was physically insane, e.g. fighting the Balrog with Gandalf... On the bridge of Khazad-Dum... A party of four plus gandalf standing side-by-side on a three foot wide bridge.

I never played that, but was interested. Was it any good?

And while it looks like it's not based on any source material (that I know of), it could be interesting. Whether or not it's legit, that depends on how you look at it. Since it's based (however loosely) off of a book series, how far should they be allowed to go with taking liberties? Since I'm a big fan of LOTR, I would hope any game made based on it should have some reference in the books. Otherwise they are just making stuff up that was never envisioned by Tolkien, which I don't feel is right.

As for the mature rating, that could simply be because of bloodshed during combat. I'm not sure how much it takes to push a game into mature, but I didn't see anything in the video that really states WHY it gets a mature rating.

There is taking liberties and there is blatantly just jamming shit into the story that never existed. It was a competent RPG but I'm glad I only rented it. Remember how the Mumaks were such a problem it took the army of the dead to kill them? In the game you eventualy take down 8 or 9 of them yourself...

It was good in parts. Basically:

Pros:
Very good graphics for its time.
Decent voice acting.
A turn based battle system at the time Final Fantasy got rid of theirs.
Brilliant armour appearances and physics, with each seperate item having its own polished appearance.
Nicely edited movie scenes put into storytelling sequences that really beefed up the lore.

Cons:
Pushed a lot of crap where it shouldn't have been pushed.
Took liberties with the story to the extent of stuff that happened in the film happening much differently in the game.
Never really giving you a reason to follow the Fellowship other than well... it's your destiny.
Horrible, convoluted ending.

SultanP:
What the hell is with some random party having both a mage and a dwarf, and was there an elf in there? The mages (such as Gandalf and Saruman) are very few in number, heck, they aren't even the same race as men, elves, or dwarves. Dwarves too are so few that finding one randomly joining with a party is rare. They'll have to rip the lore a new loophole or two to make this seem plausible, I believe.

Dwarfs aren't few. They have great kingdoms in the north (blue mountains, lonely mountain etc) and while you are right about saruman's and gandalf's race being very few in numbers, that doesn't mean that elves and men can't use magic.

Yay! the adventures of Barrygorn or Larrymir!

With his friends, cash'in and Seriously? Pegi 18?

I can't wait to have learnt my lesson several years ago and not play it...

stop the new Lotr games, that have nothing to do with tolkiens stories already!!. Tolkien is turning in his grave!!

honestly cannot support any stories written about middle earth that haven't been written by Tolkien himself. I'm a big fan of the "don't touch a writers stuff and don't add to it" only the writer himself/herself should do that. otherwise you get 90% chance of getting nothing but shit.

also they should have stopped making games about lotr after they made games of the movies and the hobbit.

EDIT:sorry double post

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or