Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

This week MovieBob takes on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.

Watch Video

Good to know this is a good movie.

But to be honest me, my friends and family were gonna go see this regardless of the reviews and quality.

And also, you really think it's Oscar Quality? We shall have to wait and see =)

Can't wait. Seeing it tomorrow with my brother, everyone I've spoken to who has seen it said it was very good.

Also I don't think I can ever get sick of John Williams HP theme..

Harry potter getting an oscar? Not too far fetched, considering the awards the book has gotten. Definitely watching this one, since I was so disappointed by the last couple.

Hmm, so it's good? Maybe I'll go see it some time.

That good eh? Probs won't be seeing tonight, maybe sometime next week then.

I didn't give a damn about Rowling trying to make me feel anything other than annoyed at a substantial body count, so I'm not going to see it done as a MOVIE. Seriously, it's like she threw darts at a board to see who died so she could go "Isn't it just HEART-WRENCHING!!?!? It's so SAD!". No Rowling, it's freaking JUVENILE.

yellowhead:

Oscar quality has become an oxy moron in this day and age. The hurt Locker won six oscars last year. You know which film was last to do that? FOREST GUMP! Do you think the hurt locker was ANY where near quality as Forest Gump? The oscars have become a joke, unfortunately.

I hope it stays in theatres over here for a while, because I plan to see it with my family when I'm going home for christmas. (I hope it is as good as you say, because I didn't like HP6 as well as you did, but I really want this to be great.

Slimshad:

yellowhead:

Oscar quality has become an oxy moron in this day and age. The hurt Locker won six oscars last year. You know which film was last to do that? FOREST GUMP! Do you think the hurt locker was ANY where near quality as Forest Gump? The oscars have become a joke, unfortunately.

Absolutely, i get what you're saying. District 9 was easily the best film of 2009 for me but it didn't win any awards. But to see Harry Potter (a blockbuster fantasy which the Academy hardly ever support) win in something other then special effects or something like that would be very impressive.

I have yet to watch a single Harry Potter film so far, and you know what, I intend to keep it that way. I just really can't take it seriously.. wizard school!?

Man I just wish both parts were out at the same time. I really don't like stopping something then coming back to it 2 months ( or whenever it) is later. I hope that Part 1 is still showing when part 2 comes out so I can watch both parts at the same time.

Food Network battling Castro? Sounds like the greatest absurdest piece of literature never made

As for your bold prediction, I think that's going a little too far. While I am very pleased to see that WB was lucky their three main leads all ended up maturing into fine, young acting professionals, the script is far from perfect. Don't get me wrong, the STORY of Harry Potter has always been it's greatest draw for me and when reading all 7 books it came together relatively nicely and satisfactorily. But the dialogue and writing was never anything stellar, and the same goes for the films. It's not bad, just slightly shallow. Still though, I'm looking forward to watching this. I've seen all 6 in the theater so far, so I want to close it out the way it's been going

1) What channel is trying to declare war on Japan? I seemed to have missed something.
2) ESPN is going to overthrow Castro follow Kobe Bryant's appearance in that Black Ops commercial.
3) Happy the movie is good. Would have seen it regardless. This is the first HP movie I'm not seeing opening day, so you know I'm a fan. Fucking class schedule getting in the way of my movie seeing.

... You know, if you put it that way, I might actually go see it.

Plus, I've literally never seen a clip from it, nor have I seen the 6th movie, so I had no interest at all. I lost faith after the 5th. But I've had a strange urge to watch through them all again, give the 6th, 7th, and 8th a try, just for old times sake. Looks like it might not be a bad idea.

Just woke up. I saw the midnight premiere, it was amazing.

Much better than past movies, it actually followed the book almost to the letter. It completely makes up for all the movies that didn't quite meet expectations *cough*third movie*cough*

I have only seen about half of the first Harry Potter movie and nothing else. I liked the books but I'll be skipping this movie, unless I happen to watch all the rest and like them which is pretty unlikely.

Dude, Bobby Flay could take any Castro.

Wait, you talk about movies on this show?

Personally your views actually have quite a lot of sway in whether to see the movie or not, I loved the books and the first to third films were decent, the fourth was very good and managed to make the entire thing more mature, but the fifth was absolute tripe, and pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the movies. I haven't seen the 6th film yet because of that, and I don't know what critical response that recieved since I never really cared to look, but if 7 really is that good then I might just give reconsider ignoring it...

this has been added to the "stuff I need to see but will probably end up watching it when its out on DVD because I cant be arsed to go to the local cinema because its a shithole" list.

Oh I can't wait. We are suppose to see it today but if my mom doesn't get off work in time we are seeing it tomorrow.

I have loved the books and movies for about 10 years now so I am sad that it is ending but happy that is seems to be ending good. I have always been able to rely on Harry Potter staying true to the books (except for the Half-Blood Prince... *huff*).

what's with the cable network declaring war on japan? i dont follow American or even Danish tv but from what popculture reference i have gathered over the years i would guess that those guys are either some green group or the cast of the deadliest catch, and i dont see how either could start a war.

The quest explanation was fucking awesome! I don't think I've ever laughed that hard at one of your reviews MovieBob. Great job!

I got to watch these damn movies some day. I've only seen the first one, and that was shortly after it's DVD release.

Just saw it, can't really tell if it was a good movie for the lack of the missing 2nd half.

But a few nitpicks, plot holes, convenient coincidences, deus ex machinas and cliches carry over from the book. Basically, a movie about moping kids who get lucky by randomly wandering England.

Other than that, colour correction and the weird kissing scene. wtf was that all about?

Nice to know this is a good film.

The others after prisoner of Azkaban have been kinda mehhhhhh.

Is it just me, or in the first 2 films, the set was nice and bright and cheery...then in number 3 the movie turned Emo and really liked black?

Anyway I'm going to see this no doubt, better be right Bob!

Yay, first good review for this film I have seen. Going to see the movie tonight, hoping MovieBob is right.
Also, FUCK WHALES.

[Gavo]:
Just woke up. I saw the midnight premiere, it was amazing.

Much better than past movies, it actually followed the book almost to the letter. It completely makes up for all the movies that didn't quite meet expectations *cough*third movie*cough*

The 4th did that for me, my mate said Dobby was in it...

I cried at the end :( i love Dobby!

It looks alright.

Stabby Joe:
I have yet to watch a single Harry Potter film so far, and you know what, I intend to keep it that way. I just really can't take it seriously.. wizard school!?

How else would you become a wizard? Is it so laughable?
If I wanted to be a lawyer I'd go to law school...

Good thing knowing the movie I'm gonna see in about 2 hours is a great one. Kinda makes me a bit relieved since I didn't really enjoy the last one. They left out way to much from the book.

Thanks MovieBob. Cant wait to go see this one. Never steered me wrong before.

Thats made me much more confident that it will be good... very much appreciated Movie Bob! Only a few hours now!!! :D

good to know its really good. im glad i really got into them. at first i kept the fan side of me get in the way and kept comparing it with the books. but i just really hate myself for doing that. i actually envied the people who hadn't read the books caz there were experiencing harry potter for the first time. So for the last few movies i have watched them particualry disregarding thw books completely and it has helped a great deal. i've put aside the old ideal that movies are never as good as the source material. Has anyone else done this, or do you just let the fan side of you take over?

Bob was referring to 'Whale Wars' on the Discovery Channel. However, an apt analogy would be to say that a real-life version of the three stooges is declaring war on Japan, because those guys are so incompetent, they don't add up to a fart in a hurricane.

I was going to be dragged to see HP anyway, so it's nice to know that it's decent, at least. I appreciate Bob mentioning the theme of ending being prevalent. Nice to know he's still capable of honest reviewing, and not just going fanboy, spewing unreasoned hatred, or drooling over tits.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here