Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

j0frenzy:
1) What channel is trying to declare war on Japan? I seemed to have missed something.

Swaki:
what's with the cable network declaring war on japan? i dont follow American or even Danish tv but from what popculture reference i have gathered over the years i would guess that those guys are either some green group or the cast of the deadliest catch, and i dont see how either could start a war.

Looks like something with that stupid Whale Wars show. I'm more or less against whaling, and even I think these guys are assholes. I'd just ignore them; Green Trolls are green and trolls.

I'm one of the odd people that while liking harry potter, having seen the films and read the books, don't consider myself a massive fan. While the main story was very good, most of the films were quite bad (1-2-4) and the last book felt like she had a dart bored with peoples names on it, then just threw darts at it to see who dies(Spoiler warning, if you like a character It will die. If you sort of like one, they will die too) and personal found myself half asleep during the 5/6th books.

BUT, I have to say the over all deal with harry potter has been one of the best things to happen in a long time, it helped revive the ailing British film industry, it turned a new generation of children on to reading, it has a very, VERY strong anti racist/Classist message that it never EVER uses as a main defining point, rather a subtle message through out of tolerance, the subtle difference between good and evil. Its main characters were all Flawed, with weaknesses as large as there strengths (even the 'Mary Sue' Dumbledore if you read/watch all of 7) and most of all a not so cringe worthy "you can do anything no matter who you are" message that most other IPs make vomit worthy.

Im happy they gave this a worthy send off, Looking forward to watching it with my GF, do want to watch Jackass 3d First mind.

I loved the final line about the orchestral theme. It was a pretty intuitive way to end the review.

Otherwise, While I've been a fan of Harry Potter for a while, friends and family aren't, So I probably won't be seeing it for a while, if just so I don't have to take a crap from them.

I haven't seen 7P1 yet, but I will next week.

What I want to know is how you can say Harry Potter 3 (the movie) was good? I thought it was the worst one in the bunch and it started the long tradition of the movies cutting WAY more from the book than the should, especially some important key details needed for later in the series.

As for me, 1, 2, and 4 are the best and most memorable. 3 was the worst. 5 was... okay. I just don't remember it as much. 6 was just a let down. The epic final battle at the end for Dumbledor's death was so anti-climactic that it was just downright disappointing. I'm hoping 7 will redeem the series from the faults of the lesser films.

In my opinion if anyone on food network could overthrow castro it would be Alton Brown.
You know I'm right.

Slimshad:
Harry potter getting an oscar? Not too far fetched, considering the awards the book has gotten. Definitely watching this one, since I was so disappointed by the last couple.

I dunno. "The comity" seems diametrically opposed to things that are super popular among the masses (which paints them all as art house snobs). The last time a big budget box office smash got best picture was Lord of the rings I think.

Meh, The 1st and the 3rd were the only ones I've seen. Not a huge magic fan (aside form Lord of the Rings) and can't really get into the story.

Sorry, I'm more of a Sci-fy type of person. So to each his own, glad that Bob at least liked it.

*sets up Lawn Chair*

Have at me, flamers...

Already have my ticket and will be watching it in IMAX.

Cant wait to see it this evening. Also, I now really want to see a cooking show attempt to overthrow Castro.

O man I had totally forgotten about Whale Wars. What would it be like if they made a show about Guys harassing the guys that are harassing the whalers? or a show about park rangers arresting scientists for hazing(Tranquilizing)and mutilating(tagging) wildlife. lol just a thought

The animation sequence was totally freaking awesome.

To be honest, I haven't watch a HP movie since the 3rd...but you've made me actually want to see this. So you succeeded, Bob

Good work on the little video game "fetch quest" montage, Bob. Had me laughing at each picture.

I thought it was kind of boring, honestly.

I still have my doubts about seeing this. I hated the third through fifth movies and couldn't sit through more than seven minutes of the sixth one. Perhaps I'm too much of an elitist, but I really hate when important things are removed from film adaptations of books while new things are added.

The fourth film was cut way too much. As was the fifth. Both of those should have been broken into separate parts as well, in my mind.

How the hell did you just get me interested in a Harry Potter film???

Not that I'll take the time out to see it in theaters, but if a friend or family member asks me if I want to go see it with them, I might just say yes instead of laughing at them.

The only Potter movie even remotely good was the third one, and that was directed by someone who actually hadn't read the books. Yates is such a pedestrian director in crafting action and drama that the big highlights of the last book/film were completely ruined under mediocre, plodding and aimless (if pretty) set pieces which he had no idea how to handle.

In fact, I'll go so far and say that the only reason you'd be hearing the Potter films being given awards is that they'd be applauding the entire production and effort put into the grand task of bringing all seven book to life - regardless of the quality itself.

...I apparently saw a different movie than everyone else. While I certainly applaud the decision to try to deal with the characters and whatnot, as you said, I don't feel like the movie worked at all, really.

I know that's really just part 1 of a two-part movie, and am open to the possibly that, when viewed with the second half, it makes for the first half of a really good five-hour movie, but was generally unimpressed by this one. I may need to see it again, however, to give it another look, since everyone else on the Internet seems to think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread...

I don't know if the food network is going to overthrow Castro, but I bet the Travel Channel has done plenty of reconnaissance

Danial:
I'm one of the odd people that while liking harry potter, having seen the films and read the books, don't consider myself a massive fan. While the main story was very good, most of the films were quite bad (1-2-4) and the last book felt like she had a dart bored with peoples names on it, then just threw darts at it to see who dies(Spoiler warning, if you like a character It will die. If you sort of like one, they will die too) and personal found myself half asleep during the 5/6th books.

BUT, I have to say the over all deal with harry potter has been one of the best things to happen in a long time, it helped revive the ailing British film industry, it turned a new generation of children on to reading, it has a very, VERY strong anti racist/Classist message that it never EVER uses as a main defining point, rather a subtle message through out of tolerance, the subtle difference between good and evil. Its main characters were all Flawed, with weaknesses as large as there strengths (even the 'Mary Sue' Dumbledore if you read/watch all of 7) and most of all a not so cringe worthy "you can do anything no matter who you are" message that most other IPs make vomit worthy.

Im happy they gave this a worthy send off, Looking forward to watching it with my GF, do want to watch Jackass 3d First mind.

Pretty much this. HP is something I have almost completely lost interest in and my opinion on the films are mostly "meh", 1 and 2 were entertaining while I was a fair bit younger and still reading the books but after that it just stopped seeming worthwhile. Mostly because I noticed that holy shit, the three lead actors are fucking awful. For kid actors they were good, but as time has gone by it has dawned on me that they have the charisma and emotion of a trio of wooden planks doing comic imitations of human beings for the amusement of lots of other planks, and that their appearances are just human-body suits that the Plank People have created in order to better mock the foolish strained emotions of our inferior race.

But it is so, so good for kids. The only thing I found inherently bad about the books that I read were Rowling's habit of pulling plot points, motivations, resolutions and magic MacGuffins out of her arse. As stories go that's pretty shameful, but at least she managed to cram her fair share of good messages and lessons into those things that made them probably one of the best things you could ever get a kid into. Something about the series just managed to pick up young kids and get them into reading and fantasy, and crowbarred a good message about values, bravery, strength, friendship etc. into the tiny minds of a couple of generations of kids.

I don't think there's anything special about her plots, even for a writer of children's fiction, but she definetly deserves praise for the positive influence of her books.

Slimshad:

yellowhead:
Good to know this is a good movie.

And also, you really think it's Oscar Quality? We shall have to wait and see =)

Oscar quality has become an oxy moron in this day and age. The hurt Locker won six oscars last year. You know which film was last to do that? FOREST GUMP! Do you think the hurt locker was ANY where near quality as Forest Gump? The oscars have become a joke, unfortunately.

It was better. Like, way better.

Waaaay better.

Better.

JaredXE:
Also, fuck you Rowling for off-screen deaths. Fuck you.

Wait, hold on there: there's a war going on. What, should we skip over to the other side of the country in order to watch someone die in a completely different fight that is only tangentally linked to the plot?

but twilight is so much better! trollface.jpg

I didn't like the book, so I think I'll give it a miss.

Is it just me, or do the Oscar awards look like Voldermort?

I find it hard to believe that the rigid and hilarious dialogue delivery of the three main characters has improved to a passable standard.

Moviebob you were wrong about one thing. Maybe its the weed, monster, or delcious sausage/eggs/pancakes I just made, but you 100% just convinced me I am going to see this movie.

It sounds awesome.

But it's a Harry Potter Movie, which means they will cut out half the plot of the books and leave huge gaping holes in explainations. Basically, you need the books to understand the movies, and the 7th book was the most boring. That entire middle section....the Fetch Quest....yeesh.

Also, fuck you Rowling for off-screen deaths. Fuck you.

I went and saw this movie yesterday.

Umh...yeah...

I didn't step into the movie theater expecting to be blow away, and for the next 2 1/2 hours I got pretty much what I expected. Nothing that surprised me in the least, nothing that made me feel anything particularly deep inside. It was a fine movie with plenty of cool special effects. As Bob pointed out the whole Fetch McGuffins x,y,z,a,b,c and d does get to be a little trite. Still, it's all tied up with plentiful action and good imagery, so why complain?

Personally, I'll go see the last movie and then forget all about Harry Potter. I just want to see how it ends at this point. For me the journey through the seven movies hasn't been good enough to justify splitting the final book into two movies, but I'll hang in there for until part 8 end credits roll.

I personally loved the first 5 novels and movies, then when the sixth book came out I was reading it was my job dropped... I thought it was the dumbest thing I have ever read, the writing style had dropped and it felt like a bitch slap to my face. Since then I have refused to take in anything produced by JKR, so no 7th book, no 6th or 7th movie, she will not get a cent out of me ever again.

Completely forgot this movie was coming out today. I think today would be a good day to stay home...

That aside, I'm still torn whether I want to go see it or not. I mean, I want to go see it...but it's Part 1. So I'm going to see half a movie, and that STILL rubs me the wrong way just like it did back in, what, Feburary when they announced it would be a two parter. But it's really hard to not go see it, and it isn't as if my not seeing it would change anything.

Buh whah? Whats with the note at the end of the review? War on Japan? What are you talking about?

spectrenihlus:
Man I just wish both parts were out at the same time. I really don't like stopping something then coming back to it 2 months ( or whenever it) is later. I hope that Part 1 is still showing when part 2 comes out so I can watch both parts at the same time.

Part 2 comes out July 2011. So unless they re-release Part 1 to coincide with Part 2 (which, admittedly, isn't far-fetched), it won't still be in cinemas.

Slimshad:
Harry potter getting an oscar? Not too far fetched, considering the awards the book has gotten. Definitely watching this one, since I was so disappointed by the last couple.

That is not something you would hear about most franchises.

I'm not a big Movie Bob follower but he just convinced me to NOT gloss over this release. maybe when all of the movies end. people will actually start reading the book again. it's pretty obvious that Bob didn't read the books, which is a shame, since they're great.

On the food network deal, why not use someone like Alton Brown? That is the only thing that really bothered me. Since there are much better people that work for the food network.

alithanar8:
I personally loved the first 5 novels and movies, then when the sixth book came out I was reading it was my job dropped... I thought it was the dumbest thing I have ever read, the writing style had dropped and it felt like a bitch slap to my face. Since then I have refused to take in anything produced by JKR, so no 7th book, no 6th or 7th movie, she will not get a cent out of me ever again.

J.K. Rowling doesn't pen the script for the movies, you know. and you really found Half-Blood Prince that bad? it was by no means the best in the series, but it wasn't terrible. oh well, you're opinion. but you should read Deathly Hallows. it was a good book.

Watched it yesterday and I was highly impressed by it. I simply can't wait for the second part now and I'm so happy that they didn't screw this final part up. But, I'm also somehow sad that it's all coming to an end, I feel like my whole life is ending :( (been a HP fan for 10 years and I'll probably stay a HPfag forever).

lollerskating:
The animation sequence was totally freaking awesome.

This. Oh God, this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or