The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Bob: Renew funding for the space program, HAL
HAL: I'm sorry Dave.... er Bob. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Bob: [expletive deleted], HAL
HAL: Look Bob, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

On a side, or rather main note, I feel the same way as you do, it pisses me the frak off too.

Regarding the choice between world peace and cities on Mars, I do not see you as the bad guy for picking cities on Mars. I do have to question why though. What purpose do cities on Mars serve?

Out there, maybe an hour with the car, if it could drive straight up, lies a black void...at first glance. What I see when I look to the stars is our future. I see a challenge. I see The limitations our cradle put on our advancement as a species and I do not approve of these limits. I'll never stop dreaming of a life among the stars...and I see how many of our problems, our understanding of ourselves and the very meaning of life and the universe cannot be found here on earth. There is an infinity of worlds out there, endless resources and energy for millions of years. It would take us longer than a generation, maybe some centuries, but we would be all the richer for it. No more overpopulation as there's endless room, no more famines once we master orbital agriculture. With deeper understanding of the laws of the Universe, we could become like gods, creating and shaping matter from pure energy. And what's stopping us?
Money. Money and the complacency that we're in a Status Quo already. A status that is not perfect, but at least most of us can survive and a few even thrive. But why not give everyone a chance to be everything he could be?
We must go out there, beyond the safety of our atmosphere like the explorers of old. Like the Phonecians, the Vikings, Magellan, we have to go and best the void between worlds, for what we would find there should reward us more than any cost it took to get there. Not just in a metrial way. We would become better as a species. We'd take the next step forward. We would evolve.

And I think that it's that part about life, improving and evolving, that makes it worth living.

Do you think Bob knows about the mission to Mars that's been planned, joint USA and Russian mission, 2037 iirc? Regardless the 500 day trip experiment (seeing if the trip is manageable by getting people to sit in a shuttle for the journey there and back, they got to walk on red sand for a bit at the other end ;D) is almost over and looks good.

I think Bob is being unrealistic here, the funding is huge and we don't have the money to manage it very well, the mission to Mars is a distinct possibility and there are several incoming innovations regarding fuel consumption (as in, getting rid of liquid fuel in order to use lasers to superheat air to plasma for takeoff and having only a little fuel in order to move in space) which may make things more viable.
Until they come through or the world brightens up a bit though the space race is gonna be a bit slow for a while. We're still dreaming of reaching the stars, we just have to finish our day jobs first.

On this subject I guess the space program is to expensive to be continued at the time, America will eventually get back into space within the next decade or when the global economic crisis is sorted out but it is just my thought

Commenting in memory of the NASA Space Shuttle Program.

totaly agree with you man humanity is at its best when its pushing its limits not just its own buttons.

Yea, because if the world is at peace, We could donate our time to, oh, i dont know, Rocket ships? I had not watched your videos in years and now i know why.

From the wikipedia article on Ralph Abernathy, head of the SCLC, Martin Luther King's group:

On the eve of the Apollo 11 launch, July 15, 1969, Abernathy arrived at Cape Canaveral with several hundred members of the poor people to protest spending of government space exploration, while many Americans remained poor. He was met by Thomas O. Paine, the Administrator of NASA, whom he told that in the face of such suffering, space flight represented an inhuman priority and funds should be spent instead to "feed the hungry, clothe the naked, tend the sick, and house the homeless." Mr. Paine told Abernathy that the advances in space exploration were child's play compared to the tremendously difficult human problems of society, and told him that "if we could solve the problems of poverty by not pushing the button to launch men to the moon tomorrow, then we would not push that button." On the day of the launch, Dr. Abernathy led a small group of protesters to the restricted guest viewing area of the space center and chanted, "We are not astronauts, but we are people."

Our current president, methinks, sympathizes with Abernathy and not Paine. That's the long and short of why NASA's supposed to do Muslim outreach instead of, say, the Terrestrial Planet Finder program.

Liberals and their fellow-travelers are almost wholly responsible for this attitude, Bob. Not conservatives, and certainly not Republicans.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)