Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Call of Duty: Black Ops

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Watch Video

God lord, that virgin metaphor was disturbing.

Hopefully we'll all love Homefront!
And yes, zombies do seem to be a necessary requirement now.

I find it funny that Yahtzee's review complains about the game being to spastic while the Escapist review complains about it being to uneventful. Just kinda something I noticed.

I keep telling myself I won't buy the new Call of Duty games but I always do. Its the multiplayer. Its the ultimate skinner box and I can't get enough.

Speaking of multiplayer though, I know its not Yahtzee's thing but I think its a huge improvement over MW2. Everything's been nerfed and the game is much better for it. Everything feels more balanced.

We Americans DO need another World War
My flamethrower has just been gathering dust since random street barbeques lost their appeal

I heard you read from Machine of Death earlier today, Yahtzee. Hearing you talk at a regular pace was funny on principle.

Also, yes, this video was very nice. I love it when you struggle to entirely hate a game so you just go for the tangents.

Lots of creepy metaphors today. As for the next world war, North and South Koreas little spats might be a trigger, with the USA backing the South and China backing the North...
I really hope not but you never know...

its so weird how much we love to have games set in hypothetical invasion situations when you consider that its sooo unlikely, its much more likely that we would have another civil war

I don't really approve of his pining for war, but overall I have to agree with some of his political... metaphors...

That being said, que the fanboys because they're gonna tear this one up because Yahtzee said the same thing that Russ Pitts did

I too got the inspector Gadget theme stuck in my head, although only because of the inspector PINGAS remix.

Let me point out the Reservoir Dogs reference in the credits so we can move past that.

Oh, never mind; fifty other people are going to mention it anyway.

These games are never going to have good single player modes. Not when hordes of sweary, teabagging teenagers are lining up to pay for multiplayer mode so they can wave their digital derriere at someone's bullet ridden corpse.

dont hate the zombies. soon they will all be gone and we wont see them in games for a long time.

Kaboom?

Have to agree, where was the stealth in this game? Sure wasn't in the exploding crossbow.

And, Nixon Zombie mode?

Sold me.

Fronzel:
Let me point out the Reservoir Dogs reference in the credits so we can move past that.

Oh, never mind; fifty other people are going to mention it anyway.

Ugh, I wanted to point it out! Damn your movie knowledge!

This is only an interactive movie...

And queue the piles of death-threats from over patriotic americans and american dad fans.

Have to admit this is the best ZP I've seen in a long time and hits the nail right on the head, Treyarch promised a more stealth oriented game and then attempted to clone modern warfare. Was really dissapointed by the single player in Black ops.

Awww, I was hoping for Assassin's Creed.

Oh well, fun review nevertheless.

Very humorous, nicely done Yahtzee. Best one in a long while. I had almost considered getting Black Ops until I realized I've already played this game before... every other modern FPS.

Golden Eye on the Wii has sneaking in addition to CoD-style shooting.

I'm glad I'm not playing it :)

While I really do hate agreeing with ZP I will say that yes, we do need another war.
NO the Iraq debacle does not count.

OT: Fuck CoD, I vowed to never ever buy another CoD after MW2 unless they make a Call of Duty that could be as balanced and damn fun as CoD MW1. Until such a day comes I'll keep playing a game from people who know how to make online shooters i.e. DICE.

i cant wait for the XP, because i understood this video about as much as you understood the campaign

I never knew why i liked treyarch more than IW but i guess its just my opinion
Also i wish i could run this game :(

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Call of Duty: Black Ops

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Watch Video

You know that be a perfect way to settle disputes instead of sending people off to die so that two old farts can play a game of WAR as if soldiers were just toys.

Oh god that howler monkey bit was disturbing...

But I agree with the majority, I mean, if you call it black ops, at least have some stealth in it...they may as well have called it "Call of duty, look! another fucking one!"

Worgen:
its so weird how much we love to have games set in hypothetical invasion situations when you consider that its sooo unlikely, its much more likely that we would have another civil war

And the tea party conservatives would win. They have all the guns.

Frightening.

After playing for two hours, I seriously had a migraine! WFT?! I think Yahtzee is so right that this game overwhelms you. I also never got that part, when glass mouth joins my side and is able to speak in normal sentences and move like normal when we've just smashed some glass into his mouth. Seems like this was like a fitness milk shake for him.

Great review as always. Nice to see someone finally take blops down a peg :D

angelblack:
Awww, I was hoping for Assassin's Creed.

Oh well, fun review nevertheless.

Same here, still it's good to see this game get such a treatment :D I'm starting to hate the Call of Duty Series... It's all about "Press Start... You WIN!!!! Now go play in multiplayer you pansy!"... I missed the days of Call of Duty like the Classic... I downloaded it from the PSN and I love it, expect for the graphics... OMG... Well anyway good game and Black Ops seems unnecesary, more like a expansion pack of Modern Warfare 2... But I gotta say I love the removal of Quickscoping :) That was awesome!

Too many brilliant metaphors in this to handle

Still haven't played MW2 (BO) to this very day.

After watching this, I don't think I ever will. Nicely done, best ZP in a while. For some reason, that image of the obese "American" girl cracks me up.

Excellently done, Yahtzee. America's war obsession is disturbing, much like that South Park episode where Mel Gibson is begging to be tortured. Also, NSFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8B2WuudHXs

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or