In Brightest Day

Pages 1 2 NEXT

In Brightest Day

MovieBob walks you through the Green Lantern trailer moment by moment.

Read Full Article

I know a lot of people are absolutely stoked about this movie... but I think it looks terrible, the cgi is piss poor, I've seen better (a WHOLE lot better) done by so called amatures.

They've also entirely screwed up his character... it's not Hal.

I think I'd get a lot more out of these things if I had Bob sitting next to me explaining everything like this as we go. :)

Fumbleumble:
I know a lot of people are absolutely stoked about this movie... but I think it looks terrible, the cgi is piss poor, I've seen better (a WHOLE lot better) done by so called amatures.

I agree dude. I'm a huge green lantern fan and when I heard that Ryan Reynolds was playing Hal Jordan, I got very upset. As for the CGI, I read somewhere that the CGI we see in the trailer was unfinished. Honestly, I'm not sure whether to buy that or not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

That is a ridiculously in depth analysis.

But I couldn't stop reading...

Looks/sounds good to me, then again, I've never really seen Green Lantern outside of Justice League before.

First something not really related - I know this is not going to be a deep story and there's not going to be a "Statue of Liberty in the sand" moment, but latest trailers (in general) seem to tell you the whole damn plots of the movies, first noticed this at Iron man 2, but a lot more movies seem to be doing that.

Fumbleumble:

Well it's probably not the final FX version. Even Hal's suit looks wierd. Though the breathing and muscle movement might even be a bit "too real" (I think that's like how it'd probably look in real life, but looks strange when you actually see it that way).
Yeah, the character is, as far as my limited knowledge is conerned, a bit less Hal and a bit more "hero needs to overcome his fears and better himself so his triumph can be more obvious"

On the general note - this looks far from groundbreaking, and I was never that much of a fan of GL (too much aliens and their technology, just uninteresting in a superhero story IMHO). Also, "Green lantern: First flight" cartoon basically has the same plot (doesn't have the extra villian, but that's probably more due to length of the movie) doesn't it? Would be interesting to compare the two.

p.s. I'd rather see a Deadpool movie with Ryan than this, I think the character suits him more (action, yet with a lot of comedy). I guess WB offered more money, or got some contract on him.

I'm not sure why they didn't just go with Kyle Rayner. It would have been a better fit for Reynolds and a more plausible character for our time. The trailer did get me excited again though. Seeing the effort they are putting forth in background to the universe is not only impressive but really inspired.

Man, there's a LOT of hating on the as yet unfinished Green Lantern movie so far, isn't there? Great analysis, Bob.

I'm actually looking forward to it and can't wait to see Mark Strong's Sinestro...

That said, I'm aware they've made Hal out to be less than the fearless, no-nonsense man he is in the comics but I'm willing to forgive that for the sake of having a character the audience can identify with and who shares in their bewilderment at Green rings, Oa and Hector Hammond and all that other stuff.

I think I'm the only one who likes the concept of the ring replicating the musculature of its wielder and projecting that as their uniform/armour.
I think the danger of making comic based movies is having this ready made and hostile fanboy audience who obviously want to see it done right and be awesome, but I think are far too volatile when it comes to their demands on every single detail of the comic being followed.

I for one was delighted with Nolan's take on Batman and the minor changes and explanations he offered for the suit, Tumbler, Ras Al Ghul etc. Does he look like he does in the comics? No, he doesn't look like an exact carbon copy and that's actually a good thing.

Allowing a movie director some creative license is a good thing- we don't all have to jump down the throats of the film makers every time we spot a minor inconsistency.

I believe I speak for everyone when I say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9yfnAI4UJo

except it's a compliment <3.

I still more or less want to punch Ryan Reynalds in the mouth every time he opens it in that movie. But then again a lot of it is probably exactly what was pointed out: the differance in personality between the comic book Hal, and the personality he's playing.

As far as using Kyle Raynor instead, well going by the personality it seems like they are trying to do a hybrid. As I've said before though, Kyle isn't even worthy of polishing the ring, never mind wearing it. :P

I think they could have done the movie without making Hal into what seems to be an irresponsible hot shot. I am guessing from what I've seen the idea is that he's supposed to learn disapline and rise to the challenge of being a hero, yadda, yadda. The problem is that it's not a storyline/plot mechanism that works for "The Green Lantern". The Ring picks the best/most worthy person on the planet for the job. The way Hal was portrayed (he was kind of bigger than life, and nearly flawless/fearless to begin with) this made a degree of sense that he might have been picked. The take on the character just from what we've seen in the trailers seems like he'd hardly make the cut. If he represents the absolute best of humanity... wow... we've really fallen in the standards we look to for an ideal.

The only way I could see the character Ryan is playing getting a ring (just from what he says in some of those scenes, and the vibe he exudes) is if he was handed one by a guardian personally, because I can't see a ring choosing him on it's own. To put it bluntly he'd have to be a "Guy Gardner", who was always kind of a jerk, even before they turned him into the Green Lantern Corps. court Jester for all intents and purposes. :P

Boba Frag:

Allowing a movie director some creative license is a good thing- we don't all have to jump down the throats of the film makers every time we spot a minor inconsistency.

That's not creative licence.. it's character assassination.

Anyway you can only go so far when exercising 'creative licence' before it ceases to be the thing it was based on... and this officially misses the mark.

I have a feeling the entire movie I'll be saying, "Ryan Renyolds is kicking some major ass." instead of saying, "Green Lantern is kicking some major ass."

If they are going with "John Stewart as a military man", then someone's been severely futzing with his origin. He's a peaceful man, an architect (which is why he was the one to deal with Mosaic), and didn't even meet Hal until he became a Green Lantern.
Now, dropping him in before hand is fine, but changing his nature? Uh uh.

I'm just worried about how sick we're all going to get of origin stories by the end of the summer. Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America... I know how they all came to be, but I have to wait until the sequels before I can get a new, meaty story. Bummer.

Oh, and after that, I get to sit through Uncle Ben's death again. Pfft...

OT: Looks like Sinestro isn't the villain for this movie. Interesting.

Fumbleumble:

Boba Frag:

That's not creative licence.. it's character assassination.

Anyway you can only go so far when exercising 'creative licence' before it ceases to be the thing it was based on... and this officially misses the mark.

This has been carefully handled by Warners not least by assembling a strong cast but also giving the project to a veteran director in Martin Campbell. The man gave us Goldeneye, Mask of Zorro amongst other quality movies.

"Character assassination" by the way, is totally out of context. You can't call alterations in a fictional character's idiosyncracies "character assassination" because quite frankly, that's ridiculous- Hal Jordan is not being called a paedophile, is he?

Because that would be proper "character assassination".

What mark, exactly? What's wrong with what we've seen in 2 minutes of fast cut footage?

In what way exactly have the film makers gone crazy with creative license that it's stopped being Green Lantern and somehow turned into Ryan Reynolds in SPAAACE?

Kilowog, Oa, Feris aircraft, Sinestro, Hector Hammond, Abin Sur, ALL make an appearance, as well as glimpese of far more Green Lanterns. This is a faithful adaptation.

The film is incomplete, it hasn't even been released yet and already people are making up their minds.

ritchards:
If they are going with "John Stewart as a military man", then someone's been severely futzing with his origin. He's a peaceful man, an architect (which is why he was the one to deal with Mosaic), and didn't even meet Hal until he became a Green Lantern.
Now, dropping him in before hand is fine, but changing his nature? Uh uh.

Not wanting to sound like a total douche... but probably doing it anyway... he is a peaceful man and an architect, but he does have a military background in the Marines.

He's not a belligerent guy, but he does have a steel backbone, as it were :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart_(comics)#Fictional_character_biography

Really? what we needed for this trailer was a walkthrough of the comics minutia behind it? My first thought upon seeing this wasn't "gee, I hope this meshes with nerd canon" it was "holy crap, that looks terrible". The cg is bad, there is nothing to get me (a non comic reader) excited and worst of all the costume is terrible. If they were to lose that horrible mask it might be tolerable, but I want to laugh every time I see him in costume and I can't be alone on that.

Also, Blake Lively is supposed to be a major part of this movie? She had one line in the trailer, and she delivered that with all the sincerity of a wooden mannequin. it's not like saying "this test is important," really requires major acting chops and she couldn't even pull that off. And that's the line they CHOSE for the trailer (notice how she's conspicuously absent throughout the rest).

Outlook is not good. and I think that might be a more pertinent topic than whether they got the name of his workplace right.

I like superhero movies and want them to continue far into the future but I'm worried for the future of these movies. Also if this movie is terrible, (and it might not be, this is just a trailer after all) I think the chances of ever seeing a Justice League movie go way way down.

Thanks, Im slightly less confused now.

As far as "Geek-a-palooza" (my new name for 2011; sooo many geek movies) goes, GL is my wild card. There seems to be a lot of fan division on this movie based on questions on casting, CGI, and possible story changes. Also, while as a comic guy, I know alot of this movie has to happen in space, don't know if the public is ready for a dip in the deepend of the DCU's mythos.
Still, the trailer is persuasive; I plan on seeing GL. If for no other reason than to see a CGI Kilawog! (or a real life Arisia Rrab!!!)

I learned all I needed to know about that trailer here.

Regardless of any early stuff, I fully intend to see Green Lantern in theaters. I refuse to pass judgement until I've seen the final product. Kilowog and Sinestro already meet with my approval, but Amanda Waller?! HOLY CRAP!!! I didn't think DC was gonna go with that route.

A. Not crazy about the direction of Hal Jordan's character. He's too cocky, and he was always fearless until the destruction of his hometown. This new Jordan seems too unsure of himself and not at all like the Hal Jordan I know and love. He reminds me of that stupid nancy-boy Rayner, who is such a loser he only got to be Green Lantern because the rest were dead and he happened to be walking near where Ganthet landed.

B. I don't think that's Krona, but it would be awesome if it was. The alien in the bubble has a more reddish/purple skin tone, leading me to believe it is Abin Sur, or possibly Sinestro (although the lack of hair make Sinestro the less likely choice, it would make more sense if the energy was Parallax).

But, I think the trailer looks more promising than I thought it would be.

P.S. IMDB has a posting for Mindy Caracciolo playing "Mr. Hammond's Student", and since the place he is looks like a lab and he seems to be wearing a lab coat or scrubs of some kind, it is possible that he is supposed to be some sort of research professor. According to Wikipedia (so take it with a large helping of salt):
"Peter Sarsgaard will play Hector Hammond in the upcoming live-action film, Green Lantern directed by Martin Campbell. In this version, Hammond is the son of former astronaut Senator Robert Hammond (Tim Robbins) who got him a job within a research company for the government. He obtains his powers while examining the dead body of Abin Sur; he is exposed to a piece of Parallax which was stuck in Sur's body and it causes his brain to grow continuously throughout the film, giving him telepathic and telekinetic powers in the process."

MovieBob:
Green Lantern is set to open worldwide in Summer, 2011.

If you're gonna write 'world wide' seasons are entirely useless. I don't know if you mean American Summer (which is May-July I hear, due to offsets and sciencey mumbo-jumbo that makes you guys different.) Northern hemisphere summer (June-August) or Southern Hemisphere summer (December-February).

Which is it?

MovieBob:
It's unknown what role he/it will play here.

Maybe it'll be a giant, looming cloud with a booming voice. That'd be cool, right?

The Random One:
I learned all I needed to know about that trailer here.

Same.

I know it may sound like I'm jumping on the "BOO!! RYAN REYNOLDS!!" band-wagon but hear me out, I don't believe reynolds is suited to play hal jordan, he just doesn't... feel right, though I do think he would make an awesome flash, I only say this cause I'm a HUGE green lantern fan, and i REALLY don't want hollywood to screw this one up

boy you guys sure do complain alot. the makers are gonna stop listening to the audience if the audience keeps behaving this way. as far as i can tell, theyre really trying. lets see what the finished product is like eh?

I'll probably get some heat for this but... I dont mind the costume anymore. I think they've done a pretty good job with it all things considered. But is anyone else having issue's with the domino mask. It just looks... wrong.

Boba Frag:
Man, there's a LOT of hating on the as yet unfinished Green Lantern movie so far, isn't there? Great analysis, Bob.

I'm actually looking forward to it and can't wait to see Mark Strong's Sinestro...

That said, I'm aware they've made Hal out to be less than the fearless, no-nonsense man he is in the comics but I'm willing to forgive that for the sake of having a character the audience can identify with and who shares in their bewilderment at Green rings, Oa and Hector Hammond and all that other stuff.

I think I'm the only one who likes the concept of the ring replicating the musculature of its wielder and projecting that as their uniform/armour.
I think the danger of making comic based movies is having this ready made and hostile fanboy audience who obviously want to see it done right and be awesome, but I think are far too volatile when it comes to their demands on every single detail of the comic being followed.

I for one was delighted with Nolan's take on Batman and the minor changes and explanations he offered for the suit, Tumbler, Ras Al Ghul etc. Does he look like he does in the comics? No, he doesn't look like an exact carbon copy and that's actually a good thing.

I agree with everything you just said, and I'm by no means a GL fan (so I'm not biased), but I just really effing hate Ryan Reynolds. Even if they used Kyle whatshisname and their personalities matched more with the comics, it would still look like a cliched pile of shit.

But, the Amanda Waller thing is interesting enough for me to possibly go see the movie. Or just youtube the post credits scene.

As a person who only knowledge of the green lantern comes from a couple of justice league cartoons that i saw this looks average at best. might be wrong though so i'll wait till nearer the time before dismissing it.

The Bandit:

Boba Frag:

I agree with everything you just said, and I'm by no means a GL fan (so I'm not biased), but I just really effing hate Ryan Reynolds. Even if they used Kyle whatshisname and their personalities matched more with the comics, it would still look like a cliched pile of shit.

But, the Amanda Waller thing is interesting enough for me to possibly go see the movie. Or just youtube the post credits scene.

Yeah, Reynolds was an unusual choice alright... Seems to be a major sticking point for a lot of people, actually.
I'm willing to give him a shot, if only because I just want more DC superhero movies that aren't either Batman and Superman. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the Dark Knight, but DC has plenty of characters that deserve to be explored on screen.

No offence to Marvel, but I don't fancy the idea of a Marvel comics saturated movie line up for the next couple of years- although I'm really looking forward to more Iron Man and the new Thor movie as well.

Not so much on the Spiderman reboot, though...
That said, Avengers and Captain American will be unreal, I'm sure.

If you say. I thought it looked shit, and I have a man-crush on Reynolds. I know that it has plenty to get fans wet, but that should surely come second to the basics, like not looking terrible or having terrible dialogue. I'm not the biggest GL fan, but I know some stuff. I know that that's not Hal Jordan. That's Tony Stark, minus the empire.

Overall, I thought it looked pretty poor. I might go see it, but that trailer isn't enough to get me, a non-fan, going, and after talking to fans, it seems it's not enough to get them going either.

Fuck this, bring on Avengers!

I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt until I see it, it looks promising to me. Yeah, there are some changes etc but you always get that with films, if you want to see a GL film, watch First Flight, that was pretty good.

As for this one, just wait and see. Personally, I think he is doing okay as Hal, a bit of a different take on the character, but not the worst it could be.

It's pretty obvious that the Spectre won't make an appearance but considering one of the Green Lanterns becomes the Spectre do you believe they will go into that at all?

EDIT: I wish they used the 2nd Green Lanterns personality, I was already deeply annoyed with the character and it was only a three minute glimpse of what was yet to come.

To all the people saying "Hal was a straight laced guy" he really wasn't. Sure he wasn't all Ruck Fules on the world but if anything...

Hal Jordan was a jerk, I mean a real jerk. He may not be in the current Geoff Johns run but that's after years of character development, derailment, and development again

This trailer looks like just another douchy action flick to me. I'm not a GL fangirl, either; the only Green Lantern I ever knew was John Stewart from the Justice League cartoon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here