The Big Picture: The Devil & Mr. Parker

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Wait a second here. Disregard the many attempted plans to be rid of the marriage, the deal with a devil, and the whole reboot thing. Did Marvel really drop the chance of making Peter Parker a father? Think about it very carefully, we could have seen a well respected comic book hero not only become (possibly) a doting father, but one who understands the heavy responsibilities of parenthood? I am already imagining spider-man trying to stop a bank robbery and on his way back he forgets about buying baby formula. I am seeing mature arguments between MJ and Peter over salaries, bills and spending money while trying to keep their child safe and well fed. The complex possibilities that could have pushed the image of Spider-man far beyond its' current form. All dashed because someone wants to keep Spider-man in the past? For shame.

What bothers me is the logic that the BND Peter Parker, the down on his luck, having girl issues while being hounded by a dozen impossibly hot women, is more relatable... It's just wish fulfillment crap and I, for one, can't stand it...

lol comic book writers should get some tips from mangá ones. They might teach them a thing or two about writing compeling stories... well, most of them at least.

Wow, an instance where the "It was all a dream" cop out would actually be the more acceptable scenario...

1) I hate Joe Quesada. PERIOD
2) Not going to go through 40-50 years of backstory to understand characters
3) None of the adventures of Spiderman, Xmen, Wolverine, or Marvel or DC have ended

4) The above reasons are why I prefer manga. There's a beginning, middle, and end.

MovieBob:
Why is Spider-Man spending all afternoon swinging around Manhattan waiting to happen-upo that week's adventure when his inexplicable super-model wife is waiting at home?

Uh, does the phrase "with great power comes great responsibility" ring a bell? The whole core theme that's run through the Spider-Man comics since...ever (the idea that if you have the ability to do good, you should be able to)? The entire history of the book, before Quesada came along with his Mid-Life Crisis on Infinite Earths, has been about Peter Parker growing up, and how life got more and more complicated for him as he went. Maybe he hasn't been growing up fast, but he had been growing up, so it kind of made sense for him to get married eventually, and even get a more regular job (he got a staff job at the Bugle, then became a part-time teacher). If anything, I'd say Spider-Man is a character that has a great deal of narrative flexibility.

Bull crap, he still made a deal with the devil and being a single lonely Manwhore bachelor is seriously not the best way to leave him, You know they could have just gotten divorced like normal people... he didn't have to make a deal with the devil just to save his grandmother who was ready to die.

Also considering this is Linkara's least favorite comic in the entire world (How I found out about it) He would also probably agree. Marriage does not make you a dull person automatically nor does sleeping with only one hot chick.

Gindil:
3) None of the adventures of Spiderman, Xmen, Wolverine, or Marvel or DC have ended

4) The above reasons are why I prefer manga. There's a beginning, middle, and end.

Except for the ones that go on for 70 volumes XD I do agree about wanting short series to read.

The reason that comics don't sell is because of arbitrary shit like this. Comic-book writers these days are nothing more but life long fans with a raging hard-on for whatever they are writing for.

Basically it's like watching George Lucas pleasure himself during the shooting of the new Star Wars trilogy.

Comics are weird and almost impossible to make sense out of. At least a movie starts you at square zero.

And that's why the only comic book I've ever read is The Watchmen. Most comics are filler I'm sorry to say it and I don't feel like wading through the miles of meaningless plot to find the good ones. Suggestions are however welcome.

I don't read Spidey books but surely there was more to erasing the marriage than allowing Spidey to flirt with Black Cat again. What was so bad about the marriage?

wow I had no idea

TheRealCJ:
My problem with One More Day is that yeah, Spiderman married wasn't AWESOME, but he's been married since I was old enough to remember. And suddenly going from a fairly-happy, slightly-nerdy married man, to a thirty-something year old loser, still living in his Aunt's basement. Trying to tell us something, Marvel? And finally, that retcon; What a fucking ass pull! "We dont want spiderman to be married anymore, how do we retcon 20 years of canon? I KNOW! A wizard did it!

lol, the wizard thing is literally what they pulled

mindlesspuppet:
I used to love comics. I could overlook their stupidity and just all around awfulness, because I knew that every now and then there would be a gem that would justify the entire medium.

For me it was The Ultimates.

I was eagerly waiting for The Ultimates 3, for such a long time. Everyday my anticipation grew and grew. I stuck with comics, despite things just getting worse and worse. I got tired of comics trying to pander to horny teenagers, so I started looking for more indie comics... only to find that they did the same...

But... I stuck with them... The Ultimates 3 was coming and even though it's a new writing/art team it will be awesome...

Finally it was released. I opened it up... on the very first page; Tony Stark sex tape. Which all but entirely killed comic books for me. I kept going, only to encounter the final nail in the coffin; Hawkeye looked like a douchbag.

You shouldn've seen Linkara's review first. I could recommend some good manga...

Ok im just going to say it because im almost certain im right the reason the comics dont sell is because they are like a billion issues long with sub plots and alter universes going on all at once nobody knows where to start or what the fuck has happened there is just to many comic to be able to hop in all of a sudden and its a huge turn off to the average reader

lokiduck:

Gindil:

Except for the ones that go on for 70 volumes XD I do agree about wanting short series to read.

but even still at least all those still have a consistent story and all end after a while even if it is a good few years minus a few exceptions i mean ive read all of one piece and yes its 10 years long and still going strong but its east to get caught up and its half way so there is a end and it is coming

Eric Huntinton:

lokiduck:

Gindil:

but even still at least all those still have a consistent story and all end after a while even if it is a good few years minus a few exceptions i mean ive read all of one piece and yes its 10 years long and still going strong but its east to get caught up and its half way so there is a end and it is coming

You got a good point there sir XD Course I have wanted to get back into one piece but like a lot of established Manga, there is so much to read it'll take a while for me to catch up again. That's what happened with Bleach and Naruto, and that's what is happening currently for me with Gin Tama. So yes the story is consistent, but it'll take a while before you are up to date finally XD

I wanna make a deal with the Marvel Devil.

I really liked this episode. I'm not from America and I wasn't born when comic books became popular, so this really helped me understand what comics were like and why they are weird haha

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here