282: Ghost-Type Story

Pages PREV 1 2

I read the mask one just now I really got scared at that one

Pokemon Black was one of the first "creepy-pastas" (scary stories spread all over the internet) I read. As a pokemon fanatic, pokemon stories often hold my attention longer than any other story. I'm glad you wrote this article and I'm even more glad the escapist decided to post it.

Mayhaps I've been living under a rock all this time, but this is the first time I've heard of the story.

I'm not a great fan of horror stories, but I enjoyed Black Ghost. Perhaps it's the subtleness, or the grim end, but as someone said earlier, it's a look at one of your childhood memories as something bleak.

My PS2 memory card died on me about a month ago. I was sad.

In the days of cartridge systems such as the NES and SNES, each cartridge that let you save games had a battery in it, because the save data was stored using a kind of memory that goes blank if it's not hooked up to a power source. (It doesn't actually draw any current from the battery, it just needs a voltage difference, so the battery can last a long time.) However, batteries do degrade over time even if you aren't drawing any current from them, so they'll eventually go dead, the save data will disappear, and you won't be able to make new saves unless you open up the cartridge and put a new battery in..

There's a similar game called Lost Silver. It can be downloaded as a separate .exe file and is genuinely creepy but not as good as this Ghost-Black promises to be in practice.

It's too late to be reading this...

Psychological horror works best when the recipient has emotional ties to something, then travesty occurs. Making emotional bonds is hard, so most "horror games" either nail it or fail it. Pokemon wouldn't even have to try.

Dragonizer:
I read this story ages ago. It was so creepy, especially with the music from Lavender Town playing throughout it! I love stuff like this.

Same here.

I need to revisit the creepy -(OH LAWDY I JUST GOT A FLASHBACK OF SMILEDOG.JPG)- thread pretty soon.

I challenge readers to read the story while listening to this... "remix" of the Lavender Town Theme.

If you want even more fright, read the description that goes along with it.

O.O ...want... really spooky story nicely told x

imma going to let you finish but herobrine is the scariest video game legend
herobrine doesn't like it when you don't believe in him

five points if you know who he is and another bonus point if you can get the meme that making a joke about

Georgie_Leech:
I challenge readers to read the story while listening to this... "remix" of the Lavender Town Theme.

If you want even more fright, read the description that goes along with it.

Challenge accepted! doing that now

I don't have any scary Pokémon stories, I got 1 or 2 victory stories but nothing grand.

'bit by bit' Dat pun.

OT: Great article, now I want to go actually make this.

the captcha: braaains! has given me an idea, why not make a Dark Souls version of the game. You catch Pokemon alive, and, if they or you faint, they become hollows. Only by offering a trainer's soul may you reverse one hollowing, your soul included.

I thought after reading this what if you could use the Sliph Scope on Ghost in the final battle but I remembered you couldn't use items and you didn't have any Pokemon so Pokemon Black Version is supposed to be for the sake of Halloween but can be played for any reason at anytime you wish like Slender.

This was an interesting Creepypasta when it first appeared, but I always thought there was better. Of course then again I've never played much Pokemon.

To be honest I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more done with video games in horror, they made an attempt a few years back called "Stay Alive" which turned out pretty bad (and stood out mostly for having Elizabeth Bathoroy as the bad guy), but otherwise it seems to be far more neglected than I'd expect with all the techno-haunting movies about video recordings, websites, found footage, EVP, etc...

The problem with the whole "Ghost Black" concept that occured to me, and also prevented it from working on it's intended level (besides not being a Pokemon player) is that the set up is bad. Even allowing for this article being written two years ago, consider that Pokemon Red is an old game, the odds of someone old enough to have played it originally being into Pokemon to buy the cart out of nostolgia, and what's more play through the entire game again seems to be pushing it a bit, especially as it would have required a very old gameboy system which the writer would have needed to have sitting around in working order. To me it always seemed like an implausible discovery, like a lot of second rate creepypasta, many of which beg the question of "if this is true, how would anyone know about it to relay the story".

DktrAgonizer:
I read this story ages ago. It was so creepy, especially with the music from Lavender Town playing throughout it! I love stuff like this.

Lavender Town's music freaked me the hell out. I had to kill the sound to get through that damn tower.

If Pokemon are going to haunt me for the rest of my life after I inevitably put down the cartridges forever at some point, I'm going to have some sleepless nights...

._.

Hmmmm, I'm going to have to come back to this one

-M

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67419)