Why We Love Zombies

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Zachary Amaranth:
This is pretty much the same list everyone else has come up with. Only with Space Puritans.

I've seen one with Space Amish, that is close enough to space Puritans.

If you were to make a pie chart of how relevent these reasons are, you'd barely be able to make out the slivers of the first three. People love the zombie apocalypse because its a war not for freedom or glory or profit, but for survival.

Amazing...3 and 4 were especially surprising. A great read, 4 is my favorite.

Well... todays Extra Punctuation was certainly... dark.

Also, I found it funny that after i read that "just putting zombies in the article name will up the comments" and i looked down and saw 15 comments, and by the time I got to page 2, it had more then doubled 0_o

2044: Zombie Outbreak Occurs
2045: The Zombie war of '45 begins
2065: Zombies are destroyed apart from small pockets of resistance
2067: Zombie rights groups protest for humane treatment of zombies
2082: Zombies gain right to vote and own land

Anyone get the impression Yahtzee wants to breed?

Obligatory +1 post for having zombies in the title

Ever since the zombie fad kicked into high gear, I've been disappointed that our world's greatest nemesis is not some sinister intellect beyond our ken, but brain-dead cannibals.

Have we nothing to strive for?

bdcjacko:

How does that even work?

It's true. To me, zombies represent all of the people who are only alive because it would be illegal for me to take my .45 to 'em... and I look at the collapse of human civilization to be a positive thing. Fighting for survival is something I'm good at. Dealing with people isn't.

Zachary Amaranth:

bdcjacko:

How does that even work?

Sometimes it is better not to ask questions and just accept. How do bumblebees fly? How do the Amish take over space? How did the dinosaurs die out? These question may never be answered.

I agree 100% with point 4.
I'd also like to add that noone wants to think that hundreds or thousands of years after we are dead people will be able to do all that cool stuff we can only dream about.

If the appocalypse happens right no noone will ever be able to travel space or whatever you wish you could be doing. The idea of "being born too early" is rather common I think. That's why we wish for some kind of "fairness" to compensate our shortcomings. What we cannot experience noone else should be able to either.
If the world ends with our generation we will have lived at the height of technology, not at a level that will be considered prehistoric by some immortal superhuman in 3245 as he flies to his holiday home on Alpha Centauri with his harem of sentinet androids.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Extra Punctuation: Why We Love Zombies

Yahtzee's got four good reasons why we love any book, movie or game that has zombies in it.

Read Full Article

I think it goes beyond the "wish fulfillment" aspect, though. Mostly, I think reasons center around #4, our tendency to be interested in all things apocalyptic.

Zombies are the ultimate doomsday scenario. Robots, aliens, disease, meteor, nukes, all of these have a lot of pull... but zombies combine their best (worst) elements and add a few of their own:

1) The zombie apocalypse is longer and more trying on the human spirit. Unlike robots, meteors, or nukes, zombies aren't a one-off event resulting in sudden and catastrophic destruction. After the nukes, survivors rebuild in the ashes (or a safe distance from them)--the world is set back to the stone age, but hey!, the nukes are gone. The zombie problem only gets bigger with each person that dies. The fallout never stops, and it has legs and teeth.

2) The zombie war is a losing battle. Each one we kill is just one less zombie. Each man we lose makes their side bigger. The tighter we band together, the greater the chance that a single case could explode again through the densely-packed populace.

3) The zombie world is a hopeless one. The dead, despite every religion's beliefs and sacred rites, are rising and feeding on the living. Every religion just got proven wrong. So now, with things so bleak, people can't even hide in the folds of God's robe. They have to face it alone and in the stark knowledge of their mortality and insignificance.

Beyond this, there's also the hope that every geek can prove himself useful in the zombie apocalypse by having encyclopedic knowledge of the problem, but it still won't get them laid much because all the hot women will have been eaten.

I actually have thought of 1 & 2. Also, it is a bit hard to take when people realize that their life and death won't significantly impact the world. Oh well.

"no one really knows what happens after death. The only thing we do know is that the concept of an afterlife, any afterlife, even the hot fiery ones, holds more appeal than the notion that our consciousness will simply cease to be."

Well i could not have said it better myself

I'm not sure killing zombies is entirely guilt-free. The re-occurring theme of all the decent zombie portrayals is that 'we are the real monsters'. Zombies may be dangerous and without remorse; but they are also without malice, self-interest and satisfaction. They also tend to be quite harmless on their own. The worst danger in a zombie apocalypse is running into a psychopath who without the constraints of society is given license to inflict their perverse pleasures on other people, dead or alive.

Most of us would not do to a dead body what some people readily do to zombies in films, books and games: often for their own pleasure rather than survival. Some people don't even bother to take the effort to distinguish between other people and zombies. When you consider the dangers of other zombie-free post-apocalyptic worlds; the zombies are in fact often the only thing protecting you from all the mad-men and desperate ready to rob, rape or kill you.

hmm. for some reason i had a sense of deja vu when i read this article..

Another point is that it serves as a ready available gimmick for a plot, which isn't always bad as seen in the comic books "The Walking Dead" which uses the zombie Apocalypse as a vehicle to move a character driven story.

I loved the completely unexpected jab at Lara Croft. I just didn't see that coming and then wham: I'm laughing my ass off.

And I know why I love zombies. Pop in some Dead Rising 2 and shove a shower head into the zombie's head and watch the blood shower. Grab a giant sword or ax and slice them in half. Take apart a lawn mower and put it on some 2x4's and run around chopping them into tiny pieces. Zombies are fun as hell to kill and they deserve it, the bastards.

Doesn't mean I love all zombie games, though. RDR's Undead Nightmare just bored me to tears. Walk up to a zombie with a gun drawn, press R2 for an instant kill, and repeat a few thousand times to win the game. Booooooring.

The reason I like zombies is because most of the people I hate will become zombies and I can kill them without remorse. (Or I will become a zombie and bite them.)

It's great because that wasn't a downer at all.

Valid points, but I think they need to be tempered by the same ideas that have been brought up by the last few Extra Punctuations. Zombies are being put into everything by everybody for any reason, and thus they have been rendered boring and any actual meaning they once had is lost.

Also an alternate reality because they fail in this one

If you projected any harder, you point yourself at a wall and do.....oh, sorry.

Yeah, good points though.

I like to think that Mogworld will endure forever. Damn it all, I love that bloody book.

I've always been a fan of zombies. I think the apocalyptic survival aspects are what appeal to me most (I'd probably like the Fallout games for similar reasons if I ever got around to playing them). There's something compelling about having your life upended and trying to survive/rebuild. Add a terrifying, mindless enemy to the mix and the stakes have been pleasantly raised. I suppose there could be some "generational egotism" under that, but it's more personal. It's more like, "what would I do?" Zombie movies/games are a potent mix of major crisis, survival, fighting, personal and unlikely heroism, and all other sorts of drama. There's a lot of compelling things mixed into one concept.

And from a gameplay standpoint, zombies are pure gold. An endless horde of humanoid enemies and, as you said, no guilt from killing them. The stories basically require players to start with nothing, which makes character progression from a lowly starting point possible without feeling contrived. Exploration in a zombie game becomes essential, both for story and gameplay, as supplies will always be needed. Yet the constant threat of the enemy adds a fear of the unknown when you come up to any door, long hallway, etc.

Eventually, the current market for zombies will be maxed out. Someday we'll have three different zombie-cooking-reality-comedy-dramas on TV and people will move on to something with more novelty. But then it'll all come back in another 20 years. We should just enjoy the craze while it lasts. Can't wait for that World War Z movie.

currently playing Undead Nightmare

...eh
zombies, I'm not a big fan of them
normal humans please...

and no I'm not scared! psh

lol

Well, I have to admit it. These are good reasons. I definitely agree with the first one, for sure. Indeed #4 is pretty much on the money. Might be some trouble with #3 on the grounds that religious fanatics would be arguing over it for decades (assuming they live that long, since...you know...the flesh-eating). The second one causes the most problems, Yahtzee, in that you've chosen to use a picture from The Walking Dead during a moment where they were pointing out the opposite to your claim, namely that some (or indeed many) would find it hard to destroy the loved and the familiar. I'm not saying it's the brightest of notions (in fact, it's quite dim to cling to the undead corpse of family), but it may be reality.

All I can say is that with all the zombie culture going on and all the media about it being circulated, we'd better eliminate zombies ON SIGHT without fail, because there are NO excuses now for not known better.

bdcjacko:

Sometimes it is better not to ask questions and just accept. How do bumblebees fly? How do the Amish take over space? How did the dinosaurs die out? These question may never be answered.

I think we may have answered a couple of those.

Not true that zombie killing is guiltless, in movies at least. Plenty of them, old and new, tell you that indulging too much into zombie hacking is bad. Those who do, generally are left behind or get screwed when they try having one kill too many. Actually scratch that, it happens quite often in multiplayer as well!

Torturing zombies (28 days later), experimenting on them (day of the dead), brutalizing (the horde) is always taken as a symbol and bad omen. Of what you are capable of, when you are unrestrained (much rethoric here).

Because in zombie movies, the real stereotype workshop is on the survivors (not the monsters).

Australia has a Zombie Walk? I had no idea it sucked that hard. Why do we keep other countries from taking them over again?

I think you missed one thing out - the fact that everyone thinks 'yeah, I could totally take them'.

They're slow, shambling, and the only way that they can affect us is with their mouth. This basically means that all our Shaun of the Dead fantasies seem real :D

I am guilty of all those and more I love and hate zombies so much.

Pugiron:
Australia has a Zombie Walk? I had no idea it sucked that hard. Why do we keep other countries from taking them over again?

Why would anyone want to take over Australia? It's a big desert in the middle of the ocean.

Oh, and did I read novels? As in another one? Sweet.

2. Zombie murder is guilt-free

Did anyone actually see the picture next to this? Do you know what it's from?

I think whoever picked the pictures for Yahtzee is mocking him.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here