283: Epic Inspiration

Epic Inspiration

Join legendary designer (and total Disney nerd) Warren Spector on a tour of the rides and attractions that inspired the twisted - yet still familiar - landscape of Epic Mickey.

Read Full Article

Its a shame the game has so many gameplay issues. I absolutely love the "twisted Disneyland" setting it has going. Admittedly, being a Floridian, I would have preferred more Disneyworld influence, but I'll take what I can get.

actually, there is one thing in the game that originated after 1967. The boss on top of space mountain in called Petetronic, and is clearly inspired by tron (right down to the disc weapon) which came out in the 1980's.

Too bad the game it's self is a bit of a mess. The gameplay has issues to say the least and the vision of the game seems to have been neutered. Even just watching the opening cut-scene all of Spector's grand hype just melts into "oh look it's modern focus group led micky... doing modern focus group led micky things..."

Scrumpmonkey:
"oh look it's modern focus group led micky... doing modern focus group led micky things..."

Oh please. One news comes out saying that a biker didn't like Spector's Mickey and now everyone is villifying focus groups, as if Warren Spector, one of the last true visionaries of gaming, would just plop down his pants and say thank you sir may I have another every time a soccer mom dislikes the colour of his concept art. What probably actually happened is that Warren has the rare ability to not shut down any input that disagrees with his vision and instead looks for its validity. So instead of being a diva and putting out Daikatana, he changed his game to meet expectations, which is how a smart person does things.

If Epic Mickey has failed, it failed on its own terms, not because some focus group said so.

What's killing games is the single minded blindness that people who shout FOCUS GROUPS SAID STUFF I DISAGREE WITH THEREFORE THEY ARE EVIL BLAR because it's the same single minded blindness that leads people to think 'Well, people like Halo, so if I make a shooter exactly like Halo, people will like it! Only they also like Call of Duty so I should also make the character a space marine.' As long as you have some internal conviction that allows you to weight the merit of what you hear, listening to what people tell you has no downsinde whatsoever.

Scrumpmonkey:
"oh look it's modern focus group led micky... doing modern focus group led micky things..."

Oh please. One piece of news comes out saying that a biker didn't like Spector's Mickey and now everyone is villifying focus groups, as if Warren Spector, one of the last true visionaries of gaming, would just plop down his pants and say thank you sir may I have another every time a soccer mom dislikes the colour of his concept art. What probably actually happened is that Warren has the rare ability to not shut down any input that disagrees with his vision and instead looks for its validity. So instead of being a diva and putting out Daikatana, he changed his game to meet expectations, which is how a smart person does things.

If Epic Mickey has failed, it failed on its own terms, not because some focus group doomed it.

What's killing games is the single minded blindness that people who shout FOCUS GROUPS SAID STUFF I DISAGREE WITH THEREFORE THEY ARE EVIL BLAR because it's the same single minded blindness that leads people to think 'Well, people like Halo, so if I make a shooter exactly like Halo, people will like it! Only they also like Call of Duty so I should also make the character a space marine.' As long as you have some internal conviction that allows you to weight the merit of what you hear, listening to what people tell you has no downside whatsoever.

Great article. I really feel sorry for Spector that his game didn't totally work out he (and I) hoped for.

This was unexpectedly pro-Epic Mickey.

I confess, Mickey has never interested me. He's like a rodent Gary-Su in many ways and I grudgingly accept his presence in the way one grudgingly accepts a government. Someone has to be in charge of things, and we could do worse than a serially-nice mouse with no testicles.

But having read this review, I'm actually interested in playing the game - mostly for this Disneyland world of forgotten characters. It would be spiffy if we could choose our main character - even more so if some characters had different access/events/reactions.

Having read these other comments, though, I think I might rent instead of buy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here