Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Wow I see you were put on probation for saying "why dont humans work harder to remove sex from there lives?" What is that about? are we really not allowed to say sex in forum? Didnt Extra Credits JUST make a video about it in video games?

there cool yes but i hope they invent hidden GUNS
has people forgot about them both the bad guys and the good guys go around with melle weapons
get a frikkin' gun yah wanker's

I knew Yahtzee would approve of the multiplayer. Ever since I saw his Thief review I knew he would like it simply because of the stealth aspects.

DBlack:
Wow I see you were put on probation for saying "why dont humans work harder to remove sex from there lives?" What is that about? are we really not allowed to say sex in forum? Didnt Extra Credits JUST make a video about it in video games?

Getting a little off topic, are we?

OT: "Thank you, father. It's a shame you're my next target. Stab." :D

I just started playing Ass ass in screed 2 four days ago. And I hate this always complaining Shaun guy almost as much as i despise stupid Desmond. This whats-her-name fishwoman on the other hand i find quite attractive.

I disagree that Brotherhood is virtually a DLC, I would argue a lot has changed. I was expecting a DLC to be honest but I was impressed with the variation so far, finally desmond can actually DO something, Rome offers so many challenges, and even though you don't see the missions you send your posse on, its a nice touch when building an army

I'm not much for multiplayer and like Yahtzee I'd rather have a good story and a fun game that I can relax and play on my own. If games are going to keep adding BS multiplayer to games I'd like to see them get rid of the trophies that you can only get by playing 100+ hours of some BS multiplayer.

Jamaicob5:

believer258:

Jamaicob5:
I liked the British Guy to, I just didn't like how he sounded quere. Now all americans will think we're like him :)

Unless we've actually met a British chap, in which case us Americans will just think of him as an asshole.

You know, kind of like the rest of the world thinks that we're assholes.

I don't think you're assholes, every country has done it's bit to harm the world, and since america has only been cultivated for 300/ 200 years or so, England and other countries probably have done more things to harm.

So I guess we're all equal assholes, just America hasn't had enough time to do as much damage? Ha, just kidding. My glass was half-empty at the time I wrote this, if you get what I mean.

Great review mate^_^ I thoroughly enjoyed AC brotherhood but most what you say about the game is accurate .

Luve that mutliplayer<3

Obviously i wont reveal the ending, but you are DEFINITLY right Yahtzee it solves a massive problem! :)

jspheonix:
I disagree that Brotherhood is virtually a DLC, I would argue a lot has changed. I was expecting a DLC to be honest but I was impressed with the variation so far, finally desmond can actually DO something, Rome offers so many challenges, and even though you don't see the missions you send your posse on, its a nice touch when building an army

I agree, Yahtzee was a bit desperate with the criticism here and just ending up beating the dead horse. The game has changed a lot from AC2, I wonder if he even actually completed it to be honest.

Oh yeah, he didn't mention the fact that the aiming on assassinations online can sometimes make you kill the wrong person. Still a nice review though!

EightGaugeHippo:
Im not a fan of AC.
If it was about the assassin himself actually set in the time its set in rather than the future and that memory bull (*GASP), I might be inclined to like the serise abit more.

Erm it's about both, it tells multiple stories at alternately dislike it if you will but do it for what it is not what you intupret it to be.

Fun fact: the guy that plays Shawn was the guy that bet David Gorman that he couldn't find himself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Dave_Gorman%3F

Nukeforyou:
so.. i wonder how yhatzee likes the news about ea retiring "offline" games

Hell will be unleashed. That is all I can guarantee

What was the point of the first 1 minute 20 seconds?

Yeah, I've always liked Shawn better than everyone else. But Rebecca (the spazzy one that operates the Animus) seems to not be in the spirit as much as she was in II. I checked to see if she had a different voice actor because that's what I got the impression of, but that's not the case.

CD-R:
I get the feeling Ubi Soft is trying to put off giving Desmond his own game as long as possible since they seem to know nobody likes him.

Actually, I get the impression that the ending was made solely for Desmond to have some actual reason for character development in the next game, like in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

DBlack:
WOW and here I thought zero punctuation had finnaly stoped kissing valves ass. I have a question for Mr. Croshaw, Is there a game made by Valve that you dont like? And since you never answer questions lets just pretend its rhetorical.

Don't forget that Yahtzee's still got a lot of beef to pick with Valve's release schedule. In addition, I can't ever call a single game made by Valve 'bad' with a straight face.

jspheonix:

By 'a lot a changed', you probably mean 'a lot more stuff has been tacked on to gameplay'. To me, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood will always feel like an expansion pack to Assassin's Creed II that I had to pay full price for. At least the first and second games were vastly different with different contexts, but Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood just feels rushed out and the assassin recruits, to me, feel underutilised. It's not like they make much of a difference in the story.

moretimethansense:

EightGaugeHippo:
Im not a fan of AC.
If it was about the assassin himself actually set in the time its set in rather than the future and that memory bull (*GASP), I might be inclined to like the serise abit more.

Erm it's about both, it tells multiple stories at alternately dislike it if you will but do it for what it is not what you intupret it to be.

Fun fact: the guy that plays Shawn was the guy that bet David Gorman that he couldn't find himself.

I know exactly what is going on in the games. I just would have prefered a game about Ezio or Altier(?), not about some guys reliving their memories. FOr me, the future parts ruined a good game. They broke the flow of gameplay by adding those future parts into the games.

I don't think yatzee payed attention to the game that well...he said the pope you let go came back and destroyed ezio's town when near the end it is revealed that the pope had nothing to do with it and the person who did, the main bad guy of the game who killed the pope, actually did it against the pope's wishes.

EightGaugeHippo:

moretimethansense:

EightGaugeHippo:
Im not a fan of AC.

I know exactly what is going on in the games. I just would have prefered a game about Ezio or Altier(?), not about some guys reliving their memories. FOr me, the future parts ruined a good game. They broke the flow of gameplay by adding those future parts into the games.

As I said the games are about Ezio and Altair, if you feel Desmond's part of the story broke flow that's your buisness but the games are all one story and are equally about each character in them.
Personally I think that while Desmond(so far) has a pretty bland personality the story meshes and flows fairly well, barring the massive out-of-left-field time skip in AC2 at any rate.

Novur:
Being too poor to actually own a current gen console anymore, and my gaming PC getting FUBAR'd, I have to settle for watching Toby Turner's Let's Play videos.

Upon Toby getting to the cutscene where the British bloke was introduced into AC:B, of course the first person I thought of was Yahtzee. I was pretty shocked when the credits were nearing and Yahtzee still hadn't mentioned him.

Ah Toby's just horrible at the game, and it's so hilarious to watch him get utterly confused at what's going on. By the way, what happened to your face? What happened?

OT: I SWORE that the British guy WAS Yahtzee... maybe they all DO sound the same... I personally love the multiplayer as well, finally not a "LOLOLOLOL shoot kill teabag ahaha die RAGE!" multiplayer.

I was hoping Yahtzee'd mention the protagonist losing all his equipment between games.

That is, the innovative approach this game takes to it.

moretimethansense:

EightGaugeHippo:

moretimethansense:

As I said the games are about Ezio and Altair, if you feel Desmond's part of the story broke flow that's your buisness but the games are all one story and are equally about each character in them.
Personally I think that while Desmond(so far) has a pretty bland personality the story meshes and flows fairly well, barring the massive out-of-left-field time skip in AC2 at any rate.

The future parts of the game just add a pointless back story. Dont get me wrong, the future side of the story IS good. But when I picked up the game I was expecting it to be like a medievil hitman game. What I got was am overly complicated conspiracy theorist's wet dream. They should have kept it simple and all about the assassinations is all im saying.

Im sure you dont want to carry on this debate either?
Lets set asside our differances and go our seperate ways.

EightGaugeHippo:

moretimethansense:

EightGaugeHippo:

The future parts of the game just add a pointless back story. Dont get me wrong, the future side of the story IS good. But when I picked up the game I was expecting it to be like a medievil hitman game. What I got was am overly complicated conspiracy theorist's wet dream. They should have kept it simple and all about the assassinations is all im saying.

Im sure you dont want to carry on this debate either?
Lets set asside our differances and go our seperate ways.

I'd say they should have advertised it as what it is then those like yourself wouldn't have been disappointed, Brutal Legend had the same problem; good game, good story but marketed to entirely the wrong demographic.

While I disagree with your opinion I will respect it, shake?

theblackmonk90:
I sense a conspiracy here. Is Shaun actually Yatzee? Could anyone really tell? I mean Australians can easily pull of a British accent (a real one, not the accent Americans think we have) with a small amount of effort.

Except Yahtzee isn't Australian, he's British. He just lives in Australia.

calvincaplan:
WHEN IS HE REVIEWING FABLE III?

welcome o the escapist. rule 1: shut up

Real rule 1: don't request, or you'll be raped.

Asscreedbro.... ahahahahahaha. Great review :)

HankMan:
Even if it is just an extension of Ass Creed 2, I'll take any excuse to faf about with 'ol Niccolo: Disregard Morals, Acquire Power!
And it's still a good game, which is nice.

AssassinJoe:
I always did see a similarity between Yahtzee and Assassin's Creed's Shawn.

I though he WAS Assassin's Creed's Shawn

FACT: That's just how all British people sound when you keep them away from natural light for a few months, doing a tedious job and not getting laid.

My father's British, used to work as a night-shift psych nurse, and got super snarky in-between girlfriends.

Who -doesn't- love snarky British people?

<_<

Some Random Tosser:
By 'a lot a changed', you probably mean 'a lot more stuff has been tacked on to gameplay'. To me, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood will always feel like an expansion pack to Assassin's Creed II that I had to pay full price for. At least the first and second games were vastly different with different contexts, but Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood just feels rushed out and the assassin recruits, to me, feel underutilised. It's not like they make much of a difference in the story.

If your Assassins felt underutilised it's because you weren't using them enough. They're instrumental in several story missions if you're going for 100% synch, they're great fun to call in on guards, pickpockets and Borgia couriers just for the hell of it if you don't feel like dealing with them yourself, and sending them out of missions nets you money early on when you need it - then later on when they're ranked up you can send them on the really tough assignments where they can net you key trade items you need for shop quests.

It's really the other guilds that were under-utilised. Yes, Courtesans came in handy once or twice, but I didn't need to use theives or mercenaries at all once I had a few Assassin recruits.

If you think AC:B felt like an expansion, I have no idea what more you could possibly have expected. A new vast city, an excellent continuation of the story, some new gameplay elements, though truthfully they may as well have taken out the pistol when they took the crossbow - I only recall using the pistol once when I ran out of Crossbow bolts, and that was because I wasn't looting corpses as diligently as I should've been. The only other times I heard the pistol go off were during executions, which was unnecessary.

It felt like a fully fledged game to me, with a surprisingly excellent multiplayer. It's great that I am rewarded for playing stealthily, so I can come 2nd or 3rd (I'm yet to net a first place, but I've only played about 10 games) with half the kills of the morons who run around getting 100-point kills because they keep blowing their cover. It's exhilarating to escape, and hilarious to lure your pursuer to a civilian.

One fond memory for me was when I play playing as a smuggler and found two other smugglers talking in a blend spot - so I joined them. My pursuer managed to track me to the blend spot then stood there for about a minute watching the three of us - me and two NPCs - trying to guess which one was his correct target. Unfortunately I couldn't stun him because he hadn't exposed himself in terms of gameplay mechanics - he was 100% stealthed - but I knew he was my pursuer, and laughed like a maniac when he turned and pounced on one of the NPCs because they turned and left the conversation before I did.

Anyway, I digress. An expansion to AC2? Maybe. Worth full retail price? Absolutely.

AssassinJoe:

HankMan:
I though he WAS Assassin's Creed's Shawn

Cyanide Christ:
It would seems that Ubisoft's been paying attention to this particular reviewer and in order to please him put him in the game...

mr_rubino:
Oh snarky British community theater college student. I just knew Yahtzee would approve of you.

OK, given up on looking for replies, BUT! The guy playing Shaun (and looking exactly like him IRL, what with one being based on the other) is incredibly funny comedian Danny Wallace. I have to say that I don't know why though - sure, Wallace is funnier than a sack full of weasels being used to beat the homeless to death, but he's also one of the most optimistic and positive comics whose work I've ever read. This is the guy who founded a cult by accident and then set them to doing good deeds. The guy who decided to say yes to everything. It seems weird that his character in the game is 'generic snarky British fellow #12' when he's more optimistic than almost any writer I've read.

The reason he doesn't play sarcastic pessimist very well (as anyone who has played these games can tell) is that it appears to be totally alien to his personality. If people are seeing a clear link between him and Yahtzee then it means Wallace is a good actor, but is overall kinda depressing :-(

DBlack:
WOW and here I thought zero punctuation had finnaly stoped kissing valves ass. I have a question for Mr. Croshaw, Is there a game made by Valve that you dont like?

I'm going to have to make a point here - who made Assassin's Creed? Was it;

A) Valve
B) Ubisoft
C) Valve

I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.

AssassinJoe:

CAN'T SEE WHY

that line made me laugh so hard

i hope Yahtzee didn't forget Assassins Creed Bloodlines on PSP, and since Assassins Creed 2 did the same as no. 1 by releasing a squeal of the game that uses the same assassin as the previous game in a short storyline that tried to tie up all the loose ends, if there is ever an Assassins Creed 3, there will no doubt be a game like Bloodlines and Brotherhood, Assassins Creed Bladestorm anyone? (probably the only name i could think that so far fits with the ACB naming that the previous 2 games have had)

Ah its been awhile seen yahzee totally skull-fucked an upcoming game that is supposed to be brilliant in my country.

I thought the same as Yahtzee with the whole playing in different time periods and being disappointed about the samey-ness of all 3 titles so far... doesn't seem like there will be many other time periods.. Darkest of Days anyone? :P

Bah im getting tired of this whole multiplayer thing. But this games multiplayer actually sounds interesting.

I'm sorry to say but I didn't think much of this review. It might be me expecting too much of a laugh from Yahtzee, or it might be the fact I couldn't give a damn about "Ass" Creed. Last week's video however I found hilarious and I don't play COD.! I don't know what didn't click with me here, but what I do know is this, that new bloody mic he's been using lately makes him sound like he's talking into a pillow! What happened Mr. Crosshaw??

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here