The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

"sports nerds" get more layed than the regular "nerd"

milkkart:

when did i rage, i just said i hate it because its stupid? you realise thats not me in the video right?
and i know plenty about it, both schools i went to were heavy into the whole sports team culture thing so i've had plenty of exposure to it.

you know why they have those billboards and encourage it? they make money off you. other than that they couldn't care less about you.

And you think game/comic companies dont do the same thing? They do exactly the same thing. They generate communities that they give the appearance of caring about and occasionally take into consideration what the community cares about but only for the sake of making money. Sports teams, video game companies, car companies, the whole lot of them are all in it to make money. Don't act like the marketing for sports is any more dishonest than for another other genre of products.

P.S. Your use of profanity and your current ban make me think that you were raging. Brah.

Great rant. I think a point that gets missed often, though, is the rise of the internet. "Nerd culture" has been on a rapid rise in the last 10 years because nerds everywhere, who for ages have been confined to small sports towns where they are the minority, can now log on to online havens (like the escapist, hm?) and see their true numbers, and interact without scrutiny. What was assumed to be a militia is actually an army, and high ranking media forms like movies and TV have been unable to ignore it.

I remember that it was still a little embarassing in the early 90's to be crazy into Star Wars, but not anymore (though maybe it should be more now than then...lawl). More recently, Star Trek has followed suit with it's ELECTRIFIED reboot. Nerds used to be charcteristically socially awkward but that's slowly going away, and I know many jocks who have gone out of their way to become more interested in nerdier things.

It's just clear that the meaning of "survival of the fittest" is changing with our technology. Think about that next you see an incredibly beautiful girl dressed up as Spock. Oh, it happens.

Unfortunately, nerd culture and sports culture can never be together. The sports nerds think they are better than the nerd nerds either because sports happen in real life with real people (but comic books and sci-fi are written by people) or because sports are an older and more culturally accepted tradition and therefore cannot be nerdy, of course.

Mate did you hear yourself?
You are a nerd and all that anonimous shit is just nerds to skinny armed to do anything real so they jump on their moms computer and nerd up the place feeling like big men. As a great man once said " NERRRRRRRRRRRRDDS ".

Mate did you hear yourself?
You are a nerd and all that anonimous shit is just nerds to skinny armed to do anything real so they jump on their moms computer and nerd up the place feeling like big men. As a great man once said " NERRRRRRRRRRRRDDS ".

4:30
You say "furry" like its a bad thing.

Warning: Long post.

I do agree that a very devoted sport fan is just nerdy as someone like me who has seen over (an estimate) two thousand hours of anime and owns over 150 video games for consoles, PC and handhelds. Also, I wouldn't be surprise that more sports fans agree then disagree. As you mention, you are a nerd and a sports fan yourself. Thus I think they a lot of sport fan/nerds out there.

But there are those sport fans that don't want admitted that they are just nerdy because they despise anything nerdy or, better yet, don't want to associated themselves with nerds or anything nerdy. There are those people, like Carson Daily, who hate geeks/nerds and anything they are about. Those meat-head, jock, sports fans will simply say, "Yeah but, that is different." when the parallels are brought to the forefront. When inquired further about the subject and specifically, "Why?" most of the time they will just say, "It's just is." or, "That is the way it is." The best they can say is, "Because it is more socially acceptable to be a devote sports fan than a nerd." Being more socially acceptable doesn't make it any less nerdy.

Hehehe next year if the Twins play the Yankees again (#@*ing Yankees), I'm going to figure out some way of incorporating Twilight and the Yankees into one glorious mashup of loserdom. And hopefully get my sign circled. Thanks, MovieBob!

Bob, you're my favorite. Thanks for expanding my mind.

I like that you're using your nerd powers for good; exploring a/typical archetypes in games, comic history, rallying the people to go to space, and even making comparisons between what one would normally think of as diametrically opposed social groups. HOWEVER, 'A Nerd by Any Other Name' feels one sided. Example: all of the comparisons you made were distinctly male dominated. Where does the nerd girl fit in with the jock female? Is it even really a solid comparison when put against the masculine versions? You deftly used images that featured girl nerds, but the comparison was still against boy sports fanatics. The Twilight fans were girls, but the Yankees are... one could argue that their fans are a bunch of chicks, but I think they really are majoritively men. There were women in the pictures of stadiums and you were kind enough to show us that one female sports fan's "these," but again, it's completely lopsided. I feel kind of petty pointing it out and I'm sure someone out there will rip me a new one for even mentioning it, but your explanation breaks down a bit when looking at it from a gendered perspective...

I know you are male, so I can understand, but throw us gals a bone? Maybe even make one of those face icons a girl? Don't tell me you have absolutely no feminine aspects to your personality? Actually, scratch that. If you did, I'd probably complain about you using it only when in reference to something sexist...

Oh, and to all those about to rip me that aforementioned new one: I'm sorry I didn't just adoringly fawn over Bob's vid. Frankly, I love MovieBob and all of his emanations, but it's for that reason I don't like coming away from his vids feeling left out or over looked. I'm a nerd too, damn it!

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap. This is wonderful! I'm now gonna see sports nerds as sports nerds.

Oh, and I know what it's like when sports nerds and nerds are one and the same. Pretty cool people.

laxduck:
No where did he say that one was better than the other or that one should be allowed to belittle the other.

Ok, let me put it that way: Sports nerds are sporty and nerds are nerdy and both are incompatible. And I reserve my right to point out things not mentioned in the video thank you.

Not sure if anyone will read this, but I think I might have a unique perspective on this whole jersey is a costume thing and why that's quite a jump.

Don't know if this angle was mentioned previously, but here's the back story. I am a nerd/semipro football player. Perhaps not a typical demographic here on the escapist, but I digress. While I wasn't a star on the team I played for, in 2008 I was the top back up on the O-line and started 3 games on our road to the championship in the league that season.

Why can't a sports fan cheer for a particular player in the form of a jersey without it being declared a costume? Example . . . I am not a Steelers fan, but I have a Jerome Bettis jersey because I admire his work at his craft and what his personality seemed to be on the football field. While I do believe the sports nerd is something that should exist within the realm of social categorization, calling the wearing of a sports jersey a costume is a bit of a stretch. Granted, I'm sure people can claim to wear a gold Star Fleet shirt because they admire Captain Kirk the same way as a bad ass. Can't blame them, I suppose, but being that pretty you that he was surely would have played quarterback for his high school football team back on Earth.

But the point is, what about the part where some athletes (such as Bettis in my opinion, or Jerry Rice, Peyton Manning, or Keith Byers for you REAL sports nerds out there) are actually good roll models for what working hard can get you THAT ACTUALLY EXIST! That's right. They're not stories or figments of one's imagination . . . but real people to where if you do all you possibly can, with luck, you can be a good man with all you desire. I mean, dude! Look what Tom Brady's done for Justin Beiber (sorry Bob -- couldn't resist)

Now granted, not all athletes are perfect roll models, but regardless, what about cheering for someone who is turning their ACTUAL LIFE around (i.e. Michael Vick, not me personally, but). That fact is the idolization of someone who isn't real is what makes the 'Star Fleet Uniform that's not on Halloween' it off-key. But then, I'm sure we'll have a show that comments on religion from you soon enough, Bob . . .

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I've held this same conclusion as Bob's for several years now. I think it is fairly obvious, especially with all the fantasy football crap you are forced to hear about every year. I also think that if you aren't playing the sport or involved in some way, you shouldn't really give that much of a crap about it. Then there is the whole part of sports dominating how schools are run and how these insane fans are complicit in degrading our educational systems. I'll digress now.

brassknight:

And what about for "Pro" wrestling?

The main point is that even though any of it could be real, most likely you aren't, won't, or haven't done anything related to what the idolization is for. Considering Halloween is now a catch-all for costumes, being anything other than what you really are is destined to only make sense on that night. Granted, meatheads in a jersey don't wear the padding as well, but they still look clownish in an oversized shirt with fruity colors. I'd consider clothing more of a fashion statement, rather than ad space for your local team.

NO BOB! THERE IS A PLACE WHERE SPORTS AND NERD STUFF ARE COMBINED!!!

-----IT'S CALLED FIRST ROBOTICS!!!!-----

http://www.usfirst.org/

it's awesome! it's a high school sports thing where we're given a challenge (a game mode) by FIRST in janurary, we have so many weeks to make a robot that we think will kick ass at said game, then we have it out in a tourney style competition after some hundred qualifying matches. it really is awesome. last year was my first year on the robotics team, (TEAM #2834! BIONIC BARONS! WOOOO!!!) we won states in first place and went to nationals last year and i'm very excited for this year! i can't wait for the new challenge!

as dean kamen (founder of first and inventor of the segway) once said "it's football for nerds" and it is a lot like football, there's patches of one color t-shirt in the crowd rooting for their team, huge over the top mascots, tons of noise makers, but the best part above all this is that we treat the other teams kindly. gracious professionalism is the #1 goal of FIRST. mine is winning, but that's my secret.

and that's just FRC, there's also FLL, first lego leauge. it's the middle school level of robotics and what they do is practically the same as what we do.....BUT WITH LEGOS. my brother did FLL this year (team #5540 CYBOR COBRAS!!!) and as a kid on the high school team, i got to mentor them, which was a whole lot of fun. we got to states! but that was it which made us sad :( but's it's ok, they'll be signing up for the high school team when they're freshman next year.

FIRST robotics is awesome bob! you should check it out!!!

Technically speaking, Pro Wrestling fans are cheering for 'Captain Kirk' or Captain Insano . . . the point is they are celebrating fake characters played by real people.

sports are just more socialy exceptable and thats what it all boils down too is what sociaty thinks is normal, and what most people like.

Simple, Sports fans show a love for something physical, something masculine while nerds usually love things only aimed at children. Sports fans are just as retarded and insane as Geeks are but that sports fan is believed to be able to impregnate far more women and beat the shit out of far more men then said nerd can or ever will. Alpha male mentality.

Simple, Sports fans show a love for something physical, something masculine while nerds usually love things only aimed at children. Sports fans are just as retarded and insane as Geeks are but that sports fan is believed to be able to impregnate far more women and beat the shit out of far more men then said nerd can or ever will. Alpha male mentality.

That was awesome!!
Keep it up!!

Console video games bridged the gap. Young sports fans will want to play a sports game, that will lead them into wanting to play other games (say Halo), and further going down the path into other nerdier games.

Console video games bridged the gap. Young sports fans will want to play a sports game, that will lead them into wanting to play other games (say Halo), and further going down the path into other nerdier games.

Whats kinda funny is I got a Pittsburgh Penguins Brooks Orpik home Jersey and a Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby Winter Classic jersey, so as soon as I wore it out in publci I said i was cosplaying and got the weirdest look. Nerds got it, but sports fans just shook their heads at me. Whihch is weird, since I'm a bit of a hockey nut and people I talked to knew that.

but yeah, sports fans really need to see they're nerds. Especially since I saw that commercial on ESPN and Versus where the jocks are planning out stats for sports teams and group of nerds walks over and calls them nerds.

ironlordthemad:
Snip

So Raiders fans are the only real cosplayers of the sports world? Seriously, go google them, you'll see what I mean.

emeraldrafael:
Whats kinda funny is I got a Pittsburgh Penguins Brooks Orpik home Jersey and a Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby Winter Classic jersey, so as soon as I wore it out in publci I said i was cosplaying and got the weirdest look. Nerds got it, but sports fans just shook their heads at me. Whihch is weird, since I'm a bit of a hockey nut and people I talked to knew that.

but yeah, sports fans really need to see they're nerds. Especially since I saw that commercial on ESPN and Versus where the jocks are planning out stats for sports teams and group of nerds walks over and calls them nerds.

ironlordthemad:
Snip

So Raiders fans are the only real cosplayers of the sports world? Seriously, go google them, you'll see what I mean.

Nah I know what raiders fans are and thats not all fans, thats just the black pit, I'm a raiders fan, but I don't paint my face like a silver/black darth maul...
Cause that would be cosplay and I'm not a cosplayer, I'm an american football fan (in the uk...) and that is the difference.

ironlordthemad:
Snip

and you're a raiders fan? ew, way to scrape the bottom of the barrel. XD I'm joking. I'm not as big into (american) football as I am hockey, but I know the raiders are a relatively decent team recently and a good team back when. I'm a steelers fan, but thats more home town then anything. But is nice to see fans of (american) football outside of America.

But yeha, I know what you mean. I've seen the Steelers fans that dress up. It gets.... disgraceful. XD but oh well, to each his own and its all in good fun. But you can be a fan and dress up like that.
For any who dont know, we're talking about this:
This
This
This
And This

Sorry, I liked to examplify the extent Raiders and Steelers "fans" go to to look ridiculous.

I've been calling people sports geeks for some time now. I do believe there is some nuance to the labels nerd and geek and I'd say geeks are more what you described while nerds are a lot more academic in exchange for social ineptitude.

I love the pointed out similarities. Humans will have the same reactions to something they love. I suppose why nerd culture is seen as out of place could be contrived by sports celibrating real people while nerds tend to go for the fantastic, Characters created from the imagination rather than the old fasioned way. This could be looked down upon. I rememeber thousands of times being made fun of for acting as if something fictional could actually be possible. (still do, which is why i love Sci Fi). Sports are acted out in reality and therefor generaly excepted as normal and undenyable or undebateable.

I take comfort of my own sanity to know that while Simple minds talk about people, Good minds talk about facts and Great minds talk about Ideas. Nerds are all about ideas. Seeing something and thinking about it is easy, but thinking about another thought, or someone elses thought not yet seen takes skill.

Anyway, under all this text i think i found my point.
While i would absolutly love to call any prick with a jersey a great costplayer, I'll keep it to myself especially when i'm at the next convention with my Sailor Jupiter outfit.
I shall not be called intelligent as if it were a good thing, nor will i be called nerd, or greek, as if that were a bad thing.

I think it's more about how easy it is for people to relate to the content. The harder it is generally the nerdier people think it is. I see the word Nerd as a stamp closed minded people put on things that they don't want to understand. But that's only because I would most likely be stamped too. Sport has been around for a long time and I think it's easy to relate too so it isn't perceived as nerdy. Don't let it get to you, we have to just accept that we are more open to non-traditional entertainment and just be pleased that there is so much content for us.

Ok, for actually knowing the name of the Firefly fandom, I give thee points. I also give thee points for having a good point.

Wonderful comparison, Bob! My best friend is a big sports fan, complete with trivial knowledge of decades of sports, fantasy teams in several leagues, wearing jersey's on a regular basis, and even collecting hats from all of his favorite teams.

The same guy hosts board game nights at his house, collects Nintendo games, listens to eclectic musicians like Bjork, and watches foreign and independent films at every opportunity. He covers a wide spectrum of nerdiness, from sports, to music, to games, to movies. Are he, and the others who obsessively follow any of those topics, not nerds by any other name?

Being a nerd means being passionate about something, perhaps to the point of obsession. Whether it's gardening, scrapbooking, literature, music, film, sports, bottle caps and coins, animals, games, or anything else that people like, there are nerds of all kinds.

It's unfortunate that society has stigmatized obsession with only certain topics as being nerdy and that it has equally associated such an atypical, extreme behavior with it. As all us nerds can attest that, though some people do fit the stereotype, there are significantly many more of us who do not. The stereotype is associated with the image, but our obsessions get mixed in with that stereotype. The glasses, acne, squeaky voice, and social ineptitude are themselves a stereotype, independent of being obsessed with any given interest. The "nerd" stereotype has nothing to do with being a nerd.

I've often seen people try to differentiate between the two by discriminating between the term "geek" and "nerd", but the two have been confounded for so long in common speech that it's futile to try. We need a new name.

Incidentally, this awkward stereotype more closely resembles that of pubescence than that of nerdy obsession. Perhaps this is where we can turn to draw the lines between "being obsessed with a subject" and "pimples, glasses, social awkwardness, and unusual clothing styles". A healthy interest in and devotion to a subject does not preclude one from graduating from puberty into adulthood.

I've never thought about sport's mascots as furries..I do now though.. and I'm afraid of that.

Ugg, how are you a Pats fan, Bob?

The largest similarity between the Browncoats and the Oakland Raiders is that they keep losing whenever they really really can't afford to be.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here