Trailers: Unreal Engine 3: Engine Overview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Unreal Engine 3: Engine Overview

Witness some of the new features and support for Unreal Engine 3, the backbone to many of your favorite titles.

Watch Video

Very, very pretty. It's a shame though, I wonder if even 1/5th of games using the engine will actually do anything visually interesting with those tools. I can just sense the greys and browns oozing below the surface, snarling to get out.

It's so.....zen.

Love the Unreal Engine. For some reason it always works and it always runs smoothly, even on not super high-end NASA computers.

I've had loads of fun with the prior Unreal Engines. What really impressed me about the U3 Engine is actually its implementation in Borderlands.

I had no idea that you could effectively render cel-graphics (or cel-like 3D extrusions) in U3!

Atmos Duality:
I've had loads of fun with the prior Unreal Engines. What really impressed me about the U3 Engine is actually its implementation in Borderlands.

I had no idea that you could effectively render cel-graphics (or cel-like 3D extrusions) in U3!

Why wouldn't you? You can do it in the Half-Life engine...

Old trailer is old... Besides, Cryengine 3 looks way better.

Zer_:

Atmos Duality:

Why wouldn't you? You can do it in the Half-Life engine...

I'll do you one better: The Quake 2 Engine (which the beloved Half-Life engine is built on).
With the latest OpenGL updates to the engine, I've seen cel-shaded Quake 2. It looks...interesting to say the least (and contradictory to Quake 2's graphics style).

I was just surprised that Epic even supported cel-shading for their new engine in an age where everyone hates on it openly (I've read a lot of complaints about Cel-shading).
Looking at those environment effects and tech (oooh! Material layer composites! I might have to play with that!), it seems clear that straight-up 3D is more popular.

Hurr,hurr,you got a purty game engine.

But that trailer is pretty old you know.

Aaaaww... sooo pweddy!

What a shame that it will only be used to create fast-paced action games where no one has the time to hold still for a second and watch the flowers.

Seriously, while playing unreal the enemy characters might as well be red blobs on a desert landscape and I would hardly know the difference.

I'd rather have more actual features and UI improvements for the editor. Care little for the stupid graphics.

Anyone still remember the time when unreal is actually a game...

Exort:

Yep...
Then Unreal Tournament came along.

Ah, good times.

OT: I wonder if they finally fixed the problem with texture's appearing in during cut-scene's/gameplay. It really annoys me in Borderlands and plenty of other games.

lights look a little wonky for the fire stuff.

Atmos Duality:

Warsow did it on the Quake 2 engine, which is so old that they made it open source 9 years ago.

Duffeknol:
Love the Unreal Engine. For some reason it always works and it always runs smoothly, even on not super high-end NASA computers.

Source Engine has higher performance on even older machines. Oh, and UE3's input latency is terrible, there's a perceptible latency between my control inputs and ingame actions. Why people tolerate multiplayer shooters built on this engine in beyond me.

Analogy:

Atmos Duality:

Warsow did it on the Quake 2 engine, which is so old that they made it open source 9 years ago.

I hate quoting myself but...

Atmos Duality:

I'll do you one better: The Quake 2 Engine (which the beloved Half-Life engine is built on).
With the latest OpenGL updates to the engine, I've seen cel-shaded Quake 2. It looks...interesting to say the least (and contradictory to Quake 2's graphics style).

...I'm already aware of this.

Exort:

I do. It runs on my 7 year old laptop. Why did Epic remove the eightball gun?

Was it just me or did the trees swaying in the storm look forced and unnatural? They flexed much more than a tree should, and there was no distortion on the leaves.

But nice tech demo vid, I hope devs will be able to put everything to good use.

Damn that looked pretty...then again all videos like this look pretty...

Did I mention....that its...*Mezmerized in the video*
@w@~

Why after all the multiple iterations of this engine can't it render realistic fire?

Shame these sort of environments dont appear in games anymore. Its either grey buildings or brown desert.

ciortas1:

The difference being I can run this on my computer in all likelihood whereas Cryengine 3 would cook it; so I'm much more interested in Unreal Engine's enhancement

Could have done with some spaceships, robots and big explosions. ;)

Ldude893:
It's so.....zen.

I know right? i think i zoned out just watching it.

I hope those lights from the torches weren't supposed to be fires, because they had the same problem of oblivion in which "Fire" is portrayed as a slowly exploding orange.

I woul like to see minecraft with these kind of graphics... xD

I love the engine, I prefer it over every other one. It's really a great engine with alot of potential if the people that work with it are willing to squeeze everything out of it.

Love how Gears of War 2 runs on a 3.5 version of it. Unfortunatly, I don't know if it's true or not, Unreal Engine 4 will be only released the consoles, not the PC itself.

ciortas1:

The engine sure exists but does everyone have the hardware needed so they don't burn/cook out their own machines? Just throwing it out there, I love their ambition but photo-realism isn't everything.

Analogy:

Source Engine has higher performance on even older machines. Oh, and UE3's input latency is terrible, there's a perceptible latency between my control inputs and ingame actions. Why people tolerate multiplayer shooters built on this engine in beyond me.

How have you come to this conclusion of a terrible input latency. Is your sensitivty settings even properly configured on your PC/Console?

I play Gears of War 2 just fine like any other TPS/FPS without a 'lag' in my movement, but I am waiting for your evidence of the contrary.

clearly pc/ps3 graphics there....

Lost In The Void:

ciortas1:

The difference being I can run this on my computer in all likelihood whereas Cryengine 3 would cook it; so I'm much more interested in Unreal Engine's enhancement

Fucking Crysis-related misconceptions, I hate them.

I present to you the minimum requirements for the original Crysis:

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

This is nothing, less than you could get from a budget PC the moment this game shipped, so unless your PC is a loaf of bread, it wouldn't be cooked by Crysis. Try playing on the lower graphics settings if you're having problems. Just because you can change options doesn't mean they have to be cranked up without any sane thought about your PCs capabilities.

Now, why I'm bringing this up is because the technology has got way, way cheaper and more cost effective than it was three years back, and because Cryengine 3 is made with consoles in mind, naturally it will be better optimised and it's unreasonable, and that's putting it lightly, to think that Cryengine 3 will cook your PC, given how weak the console hardware is when compared to those of even low-end PCs nowadays.

Of course, you won't be able to play this with all the shaders, deferred lighting and global illumination etc. on maximum if you don't invest in a good PC, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to play it at all.

Also, destruction.

Straying Bullet:
snip

I get what you're saying, but not really. It does everything the Unreal Engine does only better, now what route developers choose to go - photorealism or.. the other way - is completely up to them. It would be rather weird if the engine was limited to only gritty brown/green colour textures, the NPCs to perfect human proportions and the scenery to an island, wouldn't it?

Beautiful it is really a technological marvel thats my opinion, and the cryengine3 does look better but still magnificent.

It's great to see such brilliant technology advancing our industry: incidentally "No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea." :D

GothmogII:
Very, very pretty. It's a shame though, I wonder if even 1/5th of games using the engine will actually do anything visually interesting with those tools. I can just sense the greys and browns oozing below the surface, snarling to get out.

Actually the companies that kind of have "direct access" to this version (Epic and People Can Fly) are making games with this pallete of colors. You can see in Gears of War 3 and Bulletstorm that they also have that yeallowish tone. Grey was so last year, now its yeallow with these two games and other games like Deus Ex lol

ciortas1:

Lost In The Void:

ciortas1:

Fucking Crysis-related misconceptions, I hate them.

I present to you the minimum requirements for the original Crysis:

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

This is nothing, less than you could get from a budget PC the moment this game shipped, so unless your PC is a loaf of bread, it wouldn't be cooked by Crysis. Try playing on the lower graphics settings if you're having problems. Just because you can change options doesn't mean they have to be cranked up without any sane thought about your PCs capabilities.

Now, why I'm bringing this up is because the technology has got way, way cheaper and more cost effective than it was three years back, and because Cryengine 3 is made with consoles in mind, naturally it will be better optimised and it's unreasonable, and that's putting it lightly, to think that Cryengine 3 will cook your PC, given how weak the console hardware is when compared to those of even low-end PCs nowadays.

Of course, you won't be able to play this with all the shaders, deferred lighting and global illumination etc. on maximum if you don't invest in a good PC, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to play it at all.

Also, destruction.

Straying Bullet:
snip

I get what you're saying, but not really. It does everything the Unreal Engine does only better, now what route developers choose to go - photorealism or.. the other way - is completely up to them. It would be rather weird if the engine was limited to only gritty brown/green colour textures, the NPCs to perfect human proportions and the scenery to an island, wouldn't it?

Dont forget that there is a reason why you dont see a lot of games with CryEngine.

I support UE3 since Epic gives a load of support to the indie guys with things like "Make something Unreal" where the winner of the contest wins a license to make a fully commercial game to sell. Tripwire (Red Orchestra and Killing Floor) was born with that contest

So if the CryEngine is better than the Unreal Engine, why does no one use it?

josemlopes:
snip

Because the first 2 Cryengines were only for PC?

PleasantKenobi:
So if the CryEngine is better than the Unreal Engine, why does no one use it?

Beats me, I'd hope someone will answer that to me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here