Review: Splatterhouse

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: Splatterhouse

Blood and boobs do not a game make.

Read Full Article

No disrespect due to you Mr. Tito, but just for the juxtaposition, I was really hoping (knowing it wasn't going to happen) that this would be a Susan review. Just imagine her voice in your head reviewing this. Yeah, that's why.

Because nobody saw that coming.

So... much... blood *blech* XP

I'll probably give it a rent regardless of reviews, because I've been interested in trying it since I first heard about it. Wonder what the achievements are and if boobs & blood are part of them.... NAH, couldn't be

Rented this yesterday all i have to say is awesome soundtrack ,clunky gameplay

Doesn't look that much fun to me. I may give it a rent sometime in the future though.

No amount of nostalgia for the original can stop me from returning this game and performing an exorcism on my Xbox.

I personnaly liked it, i think its a good title, the gameplay was a little off but meh, and i wish they used more of the songs from the bands they announced that were going to be a part of the soundtrack....

bottom line i think it was fun enough for me to play it whole, i liked the fact it gives you all the other splatterhouses has unlockables and i loved the arenas.....

so thats my opinion, i dont want to be quoted or be called this or that, just because i really liekd the game.... to yall have a good day .______.

TitanAtlas:

so thats my opinion, i dont want to be quoted or be called this or that, just because i really liekd the game.... to yall have a good day .______.

Unfortunately that's not up to you!

...bad game-liker. :/

Wow do I agree with Greg Tito on this being targeted toward pre-pubescents.
It seems like fun for a few hours, but I can't see myself coming back to it once I've played it for that length of time.

Also it seems to me that the story's just an excuse for you to go and eviscerate some monsters. Like Dante's Inferno, only with -I presume- an even lower opinion of itself.

I'm somewhat confused that this got a passing grade (3/5), when the review basically says it's mediocre?

double post, ignore :(

Nice to know that reviews use BBCode as well. What's the tag to embed Escapist videos?

On topic: Meh, unsurprising. Pass the One Unit Whole Blood, and the Painkiller, please (or even Madworld).

Eh, does the blood really constantly splash on the "camera" like that? That's gimmicky and really annoying.

Looks like a joke as a horror game. The originals were much better at that.

And I'm fairly bothered by the clip of the hero knocking the spear off a boss, catching it in mid-air and skewering him with it. It's too "God of War" and too elegant in a atmosphere that seems more about direct, simple brutality.

TitanAtlas:
i wish they used more of the songs from the bands they announced that were going to be a part of the soundtrack....

Don't you know that when they make a big thing out of a band doing the soundtrack its just a gimmick to push sales? Paying for more songs wouldn't help.

so thats my opinion, i dont want to be quoted or be called this or that, just because i really liekd the game.... to yall have a good day

You do not get to decide how others respond when you say something in public. This thread will be an absolute bore if everyone just shuffles in and says whatever they think while making sure to ignore everyone else lest they cause discomfort.

Was I the only one who felt just looking at the side scrolling section that it was done in the old 90's sort of way (with sprites instead of models)? I don't know why, but those chained spiked balls just seemed off.

Anyways, I've seen more mature games with similar amounts of blood (Prototype, God of War, Dante's Inferno, and of course Gears 2, which had a much more sickening amount), but they didn't seem to obsess over it like this game does. Yeah, they all did play around with it, but they move on to things such as huge amounts of HSQ, brutality, questioning morals/choices, amazing environments, etc. Purely focusing on blood seems a bit old fashioned (unless your character is able to control it as a power rather than it fueling their power. Then I expect something like that).

Looks like at best a rental.

Tarkand:
I'm somewhat confused that this got a passing grade (3/5), when the review basically says it's mediocre?

I was wondering about that, too, but if you look at what the ratings mean, it makes sense and I pretty much agree, although blood & boobs make at least three quarters of a game for me...which is sad I guess.

You had me at "boobs"
Seriously though I'll probably rent this out and give it a try.

Seems worth a try at least, just for the novelty of Jim Cummings demanding more blood. :-P

I wanna try this game out, mostly because (a) it looks like a nice mindless brawler with tons of gore and (b) a kick-ass soundtrack featuring the likes of Lamb of God and Cavelera Conspiracy which I'm kinda disappointed did receive any mention in the review.

I found it quite satisfying yet repetitive. Doesn't really rip on God of War or any other hack n' slash I've played. It was quite brave of them to try out new mechanics to see if they worked, which you barely see in games nowadays.

The voice of the mask, Jim Cummings, also voiced Cat in CatDog... And Winnie the Pooh.

I just beat the game yesterday and I actually had a lot of fun with it. I do have some of the same complaints (long loading screens coupled with bad checkpoints, cheap deaths, repetitive gameplay) but I seriously had a blast with this game. I found the humor actually funny, and I liked the completely over the top nature of the entire experience.

I'm going to play through again on hard to get all of the collectibles and nab some more achievements.

Edit: Jim Cummings voices the mask and does an amazing job. The guy does everything :P

More blood then a blood bank.

InsaneFool:
I wanna try this game out, mostly because (a) it looks like a nice mindless brawler with tons of gore and (b) a kick-ass soundtrack featuring the likes of Lamb of God and Cavelera Conspiracy which I'm kinda disappointed did receive any mention in the review.

While I don't listen to this type of metal, I found that the soundtrack really suited the mood and theme of the game. Very enjoyable to listen to growls and metal riffs while pulling a monster's intestines out through it's ass. (Yes you actually do this. More than once.)

-CarcharotH-:

Tarkand:

I was wondering about that, too, but if you look at what the ratings mean, it makes sense and I pretty much agree, although blood & boobs make at least three quarters of a game for me...which is sad I guess.

I think it got three stars because it kills the time nicely.
But if American school systems have taught me anything it's that 60% isn't passing.

Honestly, with Splatterhouse you'll walk away with what you take from it. The bottom line to this game is if you're a fan of the originals or just love mindless Horror film-style zombie slaughtering, you'll love it (That's 2 for 2 for me). I felt it was a fitting rebirth of the franchise even for all of it's shortcomings. The wonky camera, the loading times, the anti-climactic end boss are really all I could find wrong with it. Anyone who thinks the controls are clunky, well, you fail at adaption. I had no trouble with them.

If you're squeamish or a prude, you're obviously not going to like all of the blood, gore & tits, you don't have to let us know, just keep walking. No one made you look at it. If Video Games as a medium are to be taken seriously as an art, yes, you even have to make room for the Horror/Slasher genre.

Contrary to popular belief, every game is repetitive on some level, not just button-mashers. It's just one style of gameplay with it's roots in the arcades when games were made to eat quarters. Some IP's today still demand this gameplay style because of what they are like Dynasty Warriors.

The key to making a modern button-masher appealing is the rest of the factors in it's presentation. Are the story and characters compelling, are the goals meaningful to the plot, are the boss fights well made, etc. Splatterhouse, for me, accomplished a good bit of this but definitely had room for improvement.

Yeah, the review pretty much confirms what I thought when I saw the trailers for this game.

When a game has "'Bloodiest game of E3'-Otaku magazine" as a brag line, it's probably not for me. Nobody said anything more worthy of boasting than that? Nobody?

at first I was like "Well, it sucks? thats a shame - THEY SCREWED UP THE 2D SECTIONS!? FANBOY RAGE!!!!"

and then I heard the MUSIC- fuck you who ever the fuck made this game, you do not- DO NOT put shit music in splatterhouse. fucking... metal? what? the old ones have creepy "synth 80s horror" style soundtrack, which was awesome.

metal, though? Fuck you -namco? you have FAILED ME. just....

AGH!

Well if your a fan of the Re-Animator movies, you'll like the game. People need to stop coming to games like this and expecting an avant garde experience. I bought it and got what I expected, plus a little bit more. And this like God of War comparisons need to stop. God of War isn't a genre.

As a female I can tell you that if I was kidnapped by a deranged scientist and was facing death, my first thought would definitely not be to take nudie pictures of myself to scatter around for my boyfriend. I assume most human beings would work under similar logic.

Sounds very forced.

I was surprised at a 3 star review given the negative slant from the first title.

As for the game, i've played all the way through it and while the ending was a cop-out, the game itself was serviceable in doses. The inclusion of all 3 classics games does make for a more legitimate purchase.

I'd like to rent it, but this being censor-happy Germany I can't find it at any of the rental stores in my area. Yes, it really doesn't look like a stellar game, but if there's anything Splatterhouse should be good for, it's blowing off steam - and oh boy, do I need to blow off some steam at the moment.

Ugh, I'd have to put my xbox on a Shamwow just to absorb all the jam pouring out of everything.

MasochisticMuse:
As a female I can tell you that if I was kidnapped by a deranged scientist and was facing death, my first thought would definitely not be to take nudie pictures of myself to scatter around for my boyfriend. I assume most human beings would work under similar logic.

Sounds very forced.

Maybe she walks around with them in her purse and they scattered out when she was kidnapped.

...yeah, I wasn't buying it either...

I here the mask itself is actually very funny, if that's true, this is a rental for me.

I never played the original Splatterhouse games (i didn't have a genesis) so when i do pick up this game i will be of a fresh mind and base my opinions solely upon the game itself.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here