Review: Splatterhouse

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

i actually really liked this game, it aint intellectual in anyway, nor would i say they storys that great (although it cliché horror story was a point in its favour for me) jim cummings as the mask kept me paying attention.
the fighting was a pain at first, getting sucker punched because i didnt see something due to camera,it reminded me of the difficulty of the originals (this was not a point in its favour) but i wouldnt say this was a bad game, its not gold but its a really fun game (not just to 13 year olds) but anybody who wants to sink an hour or two into a mindless game, or enjoys cliche horror in general. the blood is excessive (in theme with crappy horror films) but the only problem i found with that was when the screen got blood splattered and i couldnt bloody well see what was going on! but with a checkpoint every other area its not a massive pain.
In regards to the whole nudity thing, yeah its excessive and a pain as you have to get them for the good ending, but its just another fecth sidequest, you can ignore them, (also all characters in the story are in their twenties so they aint teenagers, i know thats a fanboy-ey thing to say but its true ha)and the 2d bits are hard but their a fun lil novelty and there is only a few
but i dont think it only appeals to immature audiences, though they would enjoy it, give it a go if you fancy a carnage game for a couple of hours.

(slight sidenote: i dont think it should be compared to god of war, behond the monsters and overly violent fighting. god of war tries to be more, attempting at a story, and reason (which in my opinion it doesnt do avery good job of. but splatterhouse never tries to be anything its not)

I think this game looks too annoying for me to take it seriously, but its nice to hear about redeeming qualities of Splatterhouse.

Other reviews just harped about the bad controls, load times, and annoying blood splatters, Those were deal breakers for me. To me, if the blood starts to obscure the screen it stops being shocking and becomes ridiculous. That can be funny, but not if its all the time. Plus blocking my vision is a good way to get on my nerves. (I also havn't played the originals so the nostalgia is lost on me.)

Nice to hear that the story and music is satisfying, though. At least its honest about what it is: a mindless, horror hack-in-slash. I might rent it if I have the time... More likely a friend will loan it to me.

Z(ombie)fan:

metal, though? Fuck you -namco? you have FAILED ME. just....
AGH!

Do you like modern horrors? Most of the soundtracks are Metal. Its like a rule now.

I've seen the word "Arkham" somewhere in the subtitles, but even together with the name dr. West this game doesn't seem very Lovecraftian to me.

I'm gonna give it a shot, sometimes Khorne calls and you better answer him.... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

OT: Yeah this might not exactly be the most classy game out there but I wanna give it a shot since I never played the first one back in the day.

You do not get to decide how others respond when you say something in public. This thread will be an absolute bore if everyone just shuffles in and says whatever they think while making sure to ignore everyone else lest they cause discomfort.[/quote]

what i meant is that i didnt wanted to be offended in any sort, but i guess that ship has already sailed....

And yet its much better than fist of the north star.........

awww I was excited for this game... maybe I'll give it a try and then trade it in for something better.

Greg Tito:
Review: Splatterhouse

Blood and boobs do not a game make.

Read Full Article

I am sad Greg Tito, you didn't mention in your review that the voice of the homicidal, God-powered, blood thirsty, tempting, tormenting, ever-hungry mask of DEATH is the voice of Winny the Pooh's TIGER!

I'm actually playing it on PS3 now and it's actually really good. Platforming and combat are much better than in Castelvania: LoS, and combat just feels really good and responsive.
It has somewhat... Ninja Gaiden feel to it: soon enough you will learn to fight without receiving any damage, while most enemies can in theory deal huge damage - and this makes combat intensively satisfying. As for platforming - it's not really hard, I'd say it's mostly easy, it's just really bland and a bit boring. No Persian princes here.

And yes, the Mask is really funny. And review is generally bullshit, honestly. Greg Tito sucks at this game I presume? BTW weapons actually last quite long, especially if you upgrade corresponding skill. Also you're always free to grab an enemy and tear his arm off to use it as weapon. After a couple of chapters you can keep yourself always armed by either fleshy or metal weapon.

Sad...the original was so groundbreaking.

JUMBO PALACE:

Edit: Jim Cummings voices the mask and does an amazing job. The guy does everything :P

Although...Mr Minsc/Psycrow....tough choice now...

Can I just buy the voice/soundtrack and forget about the game?

That game looks really rubbish. Just reboot old games in order to make money, its a little bit insulting!

InsaneFool:
I wanna try this game out, mostly because (a) it looks like a nice mindless brawler with tons of gore and (b) a kick-ass soundtrack featuring the likes of Lamb of God and Cavelera Conspiracy which I'm kinda disappointed did receive any mention in the review.

Exactly. Plus I want to find out the end of the Story :D

Why did you even review it, 5 second of gameplay and you can see it's utter sh*t.

We would all greatly appreciate if you review a game worth our time, or atleast worth mentioning.

Before it actually looked good, but now I'm thinking of maybe renting it... maybe.

I love this game, my only gripe with it is the loading times

Fronzel:

Looks like a joke as a horror game. The originals were much better at that.

Erm... I dont think that the game is trying to be a horror game, you cant judge him as if it was.

Did I see him stab a giant vagina?

MasochisticMuse:
As a female I can tell you that if I was kidnapped by a deranged scientist and was facing death, my first thought would definitely not be to take nudie pictures of myself to scatter around for my boyfriend. I assume most human beings would work under similar logic.

Sounds very forced.

Hey, if your boyfriend got possessed by some mask and turned into a bloodlust-driven beast, its the best thing to do! Tear it up into pieces, so he'll have to wander about to eventually find you.

Unless of course, you don't want to be saved.

As for me, its a definite rent. The 3 original games being packed into it is a nice incentive to buy, but so far I'm not sure.

so the game rewards the player with boobs? interesting...

Just another example of how the games industry, as well as the people who buy these kinds of games, seriously need to grow up

Mass B:
Just another example of how the games industry, as well as the people who buy these kinds of games, seriously need to grow up

Why, so pretentious jackasses like you can show off how "intellectual" they are when their parents question the value of games?

at least the music is done by municipal waste. right? right?

game's only saving grace and people are just too much of pussies to like it >:(

I'm still probably going to pick this up eventually. Riduculous amounts of blood is an amusing way to relieve stress, and I've alway kinda wanted to play the original 3 Splatterhouse games. The nude photo collecting seems a bit immature I agree (I'm 13) and it doesn't seem like a good thing. However, I do like old slasher film storylines. Not for complexity, but because they're just fun in general. Plus, I never finished God of War (Damn you, scratched disk!) so this might be kinda fun.

So where, at the start of this games concept, someone had a good idea for a game // But to many work through and meetings about 'how to make it desirable to the teen market' ruined what could have been a good game // Oh well, we may never know how

-M

I laughed when I saw it advertising on the escapist as "The bloodiest game of e3" - Kotaku.

Not something to really brag about.

A step backwards for games being taken as an art, or even seriously, IMO.

Wow its either because i like lots of violence or i've never played this game before but it looks like fun.

Man, I saw an ad for this game in Game Informer and I was sorta hoping it would be one of those games the polar opposite of Madworld - kinda using blood ironically, self-satirical in a sense. It seems to take itself seriously, which - like you said - ends up with a "here is something a 13-year-old boy would love" scenario. If I was a 13-year-old boy, I'd probably lap it up no questions asked, but without any sort of light-heartedness behind over-the-top violence like this, like House of the Dead: Overkill sort of overtones, I imagine it would get tedious.

Andy of Comix Inc:
Man, I saw an ad for this game in Game Informer and I was sorta hoping it would be one of those games the polar opposite of Madworld - kinda using blood ironically, self-satirical in a sense. It seems to take itself seriously, which - like you said - ends up with a "here is something a 13-year-old boy would love" scenario. If I was a 13-year-old boy, I'd probably lap it up no questions asked, but without any sort of light-heartedness behind over-the-top violence like this, like House of the Dead: Overkill sort of overtones, I imagine it would get tedious.

Really? From what I've played, it doesn't seem to take itself seriously at all. Hell a lot of the humor comes from the mask acknowledging just how violent the game really is like this line after vaporizing some enemies.

"See, that's the kind of shit that got us an M-rating."

I'll still buy it for the over-the-top craziness. Same reason I bought House of the Dead: Overkill. If the game goes so far over the top it becomes hilariously bad (like 80's bad), I love it. Maybe that's why I like Gears of War so much... >.>

I gues, I am slightly dissapointed, but i still want to give it a chance regardless.

Mass B:

That is a very bold statement there, I would be careful when saying something like that. You got to consider that some people enjoy over the top and silly games such as splatterhouse. Not every game has to be mature and realistic. Sometimes a total lack of realism and over the top silliness provides the best escapism and most fun, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Out of everything, the loading screens are what annoy me the most, I honestly don't mind the rest. I think you need to be a very specific type of person who really loved the original games and are into the whole exploitation cinema thing.

I am one of those people, I know it's stupid and over the top, I also know that the controls are a little dire sometimes and that it's not incredibly inventive but sometimes you just have to ignore all the in-depth gameplay mechanics, high definition graphics and amazing story line and just enjoy something stupid.

It's like whenever I pass up watching the latest blockbuster movie in order to watch Santa Claus Conquers The Martians or The Evil Dead. I've always had a soft spot for campy, kitsch little guilty pleasures and this game is definitely a neat distraction away from the usual fare.

It's the first time I wasn't disappointed when a game didn't completely deliver what it originally promised, it never promised to be much to begin with and that's alright by me. So, in conclusion; it's not impressive or amazing, but it's fun if you want to just pass a little time and fits right in alongside your collection of 80's Italian and Japanese horror films.

But, like I said, you have to be that specific type of person.

The only thing I care about is this is the first game I've seen in at least a year that has actual, decent pre-rendered cutscenes.

ummmmm, ahhhhhh, ummmmmm, i didnt like it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here