Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Overview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Overview

There's no reason this DLC should be this good.

Read Full Article

"Pry my gun from my undead hands"
Inspired

Don't know whether I'll get it. No problems with it, but there are loads of great releases right now.

Wow. This review is... tardy, to say the least. Good nonetheless. It's a great bit of DLC and I would recommend it to anyone still on the fence.

If there is one thing I hate it's the idea of shooting zombies in the head, did everyone miss REs 1-3? The only gun that hit the face was the magnum. I prefer the idea of "significant damage to the body causes it to shut down again" of course the damage the body takes is more than the average human, but still... Well either way I dislike zombie stuff, no matter how well done it is, or how original it is zombies are just a filler for lack of better foes.

blakfayt:
If there is one thing I hate it's the idea of shooting zombies in the head, did everyone miss REs 1-3? The only gun that hit the face was the magnum. I prefer the idea of "significant damage to the body causes it to shut down again" of course the damage the body takes is more than the average human, but still... Well either way I dislike zombie stuff, no matter how well done it is, or how original it is zombies are just a filler for lack of better foes.

Or you know, shoot the knees and elbows, making the zombies essentially harmless...
But whatever, logic+zombies=no fun, ergo...well, I don't quite know. I'm not a fan of zombies, and this doesn't really seem like a really fitting addon to a really immersive game. Still, if you like it, more power to you...

I kinda did think that Rockstar wouldn't let their fans down with bad DLC.
Seems to me they put a lot of spirit in it ( that is, most likely sold their souls to make this).

It is fun, I like it.

I... well, this review probably could have been longer and (in my opinion) didn't praise Undead Nightmare enough, but in my opinion it's easily the most satisfying DLC I've ever purchased. The fact that it's actually a complete game in-and-of-itself is automatically worthy of praise -- how many other developers actually give you such satisfying (and long -- 10 hours for DLC is amazing!) experience as an add-on to the game?

Dude, the end to this review is kinda spoilerific, don't ya think? I mean I know anyone who has the game and DLC probably already knows how it ends, but still...

Hah so thats how they got the Main character back! So what do you swap out with his now grown son when you want to stroll around as a Zombie ?

Was the spoiler really necessary? I'm about 4 missions from the end of the DLC and if the last sentence of the review is the case, I'm a little irritated to have not been surprised.

"The Secret Armoury of General Knoxx" for Borderlands is a better DLC, if not the best value for money DLC made in recent times.... In my factual opinion.

Awww, the spoiler at the end.

I have actually not played RDR.. It just didn't seem appealing. That being said I am a huge Zombie fan.. With the positive reviews of the game and Zombie DLC, I might have to give RDR a chance when the price drops a bit.

Might take a look into it but is there any multiplayer possibility?

While I didn't hate Undead Nightmare, I did think it was really repetitive and past the first couple of towns, the ammo scarcity wasn't much of an issue. Early on, when you didn't have ammo, you ran around doing the up close kill with torch. Later on, when you had the ammo, you circled the zombies on your horse and went for the dead-eye kills. Never did see the sense of giving ammo to the settlements since I was the one killing virtually all of the zombies.

And the settlements... toward the end of the game I started riding by settlements because killing another eight billion waves of zombies had long since lost its appeal or presented any sort of a challenge. Especially after I tamed War, who could set the zombies he trampled on fire. I could see them trying to mix up the zombie types a bit to make it more interesting, but nothing in the zombie arsenal was really a match for a fast steed... the cluttered terrain of RDR was the single biggest factor in my getting pulled off of horses, not that having to run up close for a insta-kill shot with the weapon of my choice was that much more difficult to pull off.

Pros: it's a single player DLC (not nearly enough of those), good amount of content, core gameplay is reasonably fun, and the main missions held my attention... and the Four Horses are cool, especially War & Death.

Cons: not enough killing variety, not enough zombie variety, endless waves of zombies in later towns is boring instead of challenging, ammo scarcity is really only an issue in the early part of the game.

Dilapsor:
Was the spoiler really necessary? I'm about 4 missions from the end of the DLC and if the last sentence of the review is the case, I'm a little irritated to have not been surprised.

It's hard to comment on this without posting a real spoiler.

I thought it was pretty much a given that you would end up with a zombie skin by game's end. I think people would be crying foul if you didn't. And (this is something I was wondering about as I was playing) you have to figure out a way to keep the game going after completing the final mission, and said reason would have to fit in with the original game's time-line (or creating an alternate one).

The hows and whys are far more entertaining than the knowledge that you become a zombie.

Personally I didn't think it was that good. You just run up to a zombie and press R2 or RT to win. Repeat a few thousand times and DLC over. And if too many zombies get close, you just run away to thin them out and then resume pressing R2 or RT to win. It was actually quite repetitive and boring. I didn't realize how much the missions I once called "stupid" (such as herding cattle) were needed to break up the shooting and keep the game interesting; of course, in the main game, you couldn't just run up to all the bad guys and press R2 or RT to win, because you'd have "a hole in your hillbilly head" long before you reached one of them to try it.

I also think the whole "ammo is scarce thing" got overplayed a lot by Rockstar. I don't know about anyone else, but after a few rounds of pressing R2 or RT to win at various locations, I had full ammo for all the guns I cared about using and never had a problem with running out of ammo either. No survival horror for me, I was playing a shooter still. A very easy shooter. I also found it a lot shorter than others have said, I don't know where people were getting the 8 hours they used to say, and now it's 10? I had this done in 5-6, which is good because it was so repetitive.

Overall I found the "Undead Overrun" MP mode to be a lot more fun than the single player part of the DLC. The package as a whole is alright, but not nearly as good as people say it is. Personally if I was going to rant about DLC being awesome, I'd talk about The Lost and Damned for GTA IV. Not this.

I feel slightly stupid for asking, but ZASHSOWS? What are they? Who are they? When are they? Where are they? These are my questions.

A good review though, it is a great bit of DLC in my humble opinion, its just a shame it wasn't longer, but I doubt you could call it DLC if it was much longer, it would start becoming just a new game.

Easily the best DLC of the year.

The Undead Overrun in multiplayer is also awesome.

Zombie Marston? Im so gonna go out and re-buy the game.

How many Zombies do we need? It's over. Lame. no matter how well executed it is, its still jumped on the bandwagon long after the mule pulling it died of old age. Get a life, Undead.

i got this and it was great
Untill it finished and then it was all red dead redemption again
so now ive sold it for christmas money

Mcoffey:
Dude, the end to this review is kinda spoilerific, don't ya think? I mean I know anyone who has the game and DLC probably already knows how it ends, but still...

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't played the DLC yet and now I'm pretty sure I can correctly guess the fate of John Marsten.

Monshroud:
I have actually not played RDR.. It just didn't seem appealing. That being said I am a huge Zombie fan.. With the positive reviews of the game and Zombie DLC, I might have to give RDR a chance when the price drops a bit.

You wont have to buy the full game as rockstar are releasing all dlc on a disc (thats Undead and all multiplayer Dlc)
So undead night mare should be in your local game shop ;)

AvsJoe:

Mcoffey:

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't played the DLC yet and now I'm pretty sure I can correctly guess the fate of John Marsten.

Red Dead Redemption main game spoiler.

Dude wtf, spoiler alert!

Its a great DLC, but it doesn't have the replay value!

Valagetti:
Its a great DLC, but it doesn't have the replay value!

I would agree with that. even after coming back as Zombie John, I'm not feeling all that motivated to track down the remaining challenges.

Also, I'm generally sensitive to spoilers, but I'm having a really hard time giving two craps about this one. Sorry guys.

If it makes you feel any better, I held off mentioning anything about how (or not) the zombie plague is cured. But the fact that you can keep playing after you finish as a zombie John Marston? Fair game in my book. That's just plain awesome, and worth mentioning.

Y'know you can get this on disc, does it give you the online multiplayer or do you still need the original RDR? And if so, do you install the entire Undead Nightmare OFF the disc ONTO the hard-drive?

The box doesn't exaplain ANYTHING, and in all fairness the disc version is somewhat over-priced.

Pugiron:
How many Zombies do we need? It's over. Lame. no matter how well executed it is, its still jumped on the bandwagon long after the mule pulling it died of old age. Get a life, Undead.

But is it fun? Who cares if it's an overused concept if you're having a blast.

Perhaps the zombie skin was just an extra set of clothing for giggles? I know it's not, just think of it that way

BrunDeign:
Wow. This review is... tardy, to say the least. Good nonetheless. It's a great bit of DLC and I would recommend it to anyone still on the fence.

yeah no kidding its late. this dlc was out when? *googles* over a month ago? wow.

There is a definite reason that this should be amazing- it seems to be based off or inspired by the table top RPG, Deadlands.

Mad props to Rockstar for taking this silly 'zombies lol' concept that's been getting stuck in otherwise realistic games and running with it until it has a heart attack. Even if it had been bad I would support it.

wtf spoiler!!

I mean I know this review is kinda late but...ah well haha I kinda guessed it by the game cover hurr hurr

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here