Daily Drop: Dried Flowers

Dried Flowers

Daily Drop decorates the drop zone with some more kitsch.

Watch Video

Is it just me ore have the past two epides seen a sharp decrease in quality? I watched a one from earlier and it looked much better than the past two.

EDIT: Sorry to make it clear I meant VIDEO quality not content. I'm in the Pub-Club and the credits in particular seem a lot fuzzier for this episode. The high quality image really lets you see the shockwaves ripple out from the impact.

thenumberthirteen:
Is it just me ore have the past two epides seen a sharp decrease in quality? I watched a one from earlier and it looked much better than the past two.

They seem to be running out of things to drop.

Kinda a shame.

You know what would be cool, baking soda and vinegar. (or a similar chemical reaction) you could put baking soda in the ground and drop a test tube full of vinegar.

Pirate Kitty:

thenumberthirteen:

Kinda a shame.

Well, I always enjoy watching glass break. Plus, I did have my doubts about this being a daily thing as far as how long it would last.

That drop was kinda meh. But flowers have never been that interesting. You know what would be an interesting drop? Icesicles. Yeah, now that would be a fun drop.

They did all the episodes over a few days a few months back and are playing them back in pseudo-random order. It likely isn't possible to project trends on the subjects, since they aren't playing them back in the order they did them.

My only complaint is that you don't drop it from higher up.

I think you might have dropped enough glass objects for now, while I really liked it at first I think I enjoy the ones where you get to see things spin and bounce over things just shattering.

Also this one seemed out of focus, the glass was hazy and the flowers were hard to focus on.

I thought it was cool that they remained standing up!

Final Analysis: Dried flowers do NOT have good drop value, but glass bottles do :)

Feed me Seymore, feed me all night long.

Short and sweet ... Can't wait for the next drop ... Looks like a Tim Horton's ICE CAP

capacollo:
Short and sweet ... Can't wait for the next drop ... Looks like a Tim Horton's ICE CAP

Or a Starbucks Frappucino. The green straw and frothy whip cream gives it away.

smash a crate of glass bottles (ya know after they been drunk gooood nite out) flowers meh

People here just aren't scientific enough. I really enjoy seeing how different items handle the kinetic energy of being dropped 2-4 meters on to a solid surface. Some things just don't act the way you'd think they would and that makes it interesting.

Besides, all of these are prerecorded and they're just choosing the order they show them in. If you think they've had a drop in quality recently, it's just because they've chosen two or three you don't like in a row. Wait a week and they'll have something you like up by then.

I wonder, how does the cleanup go with all the shards of glass?

As previously mentioned, it was good, but they seem to be getting worse. I do like this idea though:

Hashime:
you could put baking soda in the ground and drop a test tube full of vinegar.

thenumberthirteen:
Is it just me ore have the past two epides seen a sharp decrease in quality?

It's not just you. I've noticed the lowered image detail as well. I'm hoping it's just a clerical error (uploaded the wrong video to the HQ directories).

As for people claiming they're running out of things to drop, during the Desert Bus for Hope charity run, Graham happened to mention that they shot about 150 drops over the course of a week. So we've got a ways to go yet.

Pirate Kitty:

thenumberthirteen:

Kinda a shame.

Despite the fact they already said they have over 150 recorded?

Sense = made.

I quite liked it, glass breaking always helps my stressful day

The Triffids are coming! THE TRIFFIDS ARE COMING D:

thenumberthirteen:

EDIT: Sorry to make it clear I meant VIDEO quality not content. I'm in the Pub-Club and the credits in particular seem a lot fuzzier for this episode. The high quality image really lets you see the shockwaves ripple out from the impact.

ewhac:

thenumberthirteen:
Is it just me ore have the past two epides seen a sharp decrease in quality?

It's not just you. I've noticed the lowered image detail as well. I'm hoping it's just a clerical error (uploaded the wrong video to the HQ directories).

As for people claiming they're running out of things to drop, during the Desert Bus for Hope charity run, Graham happened to mention that they shot about 150 drops over the course of a week. So we've got a ways to go yet.

When you see this kind of drop in video quality, it's usually because our content quality standards are so high.

EVERY SINGLE VIDEO available to the public (over 1500 by my count) goes through rigorous quality control before it is ever on the site. If we don't think it's ready to show, we won't show it until it is.

Occasionally, we make a minor edit to keep the release on schedule. Because we're basically making a copy of a copy, the result is a little blurring in the HQ version. When this happens, we get replacements from the content creators to make things look pretty again as quickly as possible. We do this so that you, the audience, can have the best viewing experience possible while minimizing downtime that results from meeting our very high standards.

So, um... Sorry we're so nitpicky on your behalf?

That drop (While not as entertaining as one's past, I do have my favorite somewhere back in the annals of history...) was one that I enjoyed for the cool factor over the "yay! things smashing" reason I started watching. I never expected the flower to survive the impact, or even stand up after.

Glad this thing is going daily, I think it's the only reason I seem to learn something every day XD

CaptainCrunch:

The nitpickieness is both appreciated and understood (at least by me), so thank you for being so nitpicky ^^

CaptainCrunch:

Is that you, John Draper?

CaptainCrunch:
Occasionally, we make a minor edit to keep the release on schedule. Because we're basically making a copy of a copy, the result is a little blurring in the HQ version. When this happens, we get replacements from the content creators to make things look pretty again as quickly as possible. We do this so that you, the audience, can have the best viewing experience possible while minimizing downtime that results from meeting our very high standards.

I can relate. I don't for a moment imagine that balancing visual quality against bandwidth costs is easy. I have this 720p/30 H.264 video I made in which not much moves. But because of a dissolve at the beginning, I had to encode at 2 Mbits/sec -- anything lower and it turned to blocky mush.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that you've also started doing temporal blurring as well (blending frame N with frame N+1). It's easy to spot in Yahtzee's videos where everything is a smash cut. You should have your video techs write up an article about all the tradeoffs they face, and all their discoveries into the secrets of 'ffmpeg'.

ewhac:

CaptainCrunch:

Is that you, John Draper?

You're actually the first user to get the 'true' origin of my username. Alas, I am not John Draper, but merely someone who appreciates his contribution to communications systems as we know it.

ewhac:

CaptainCrunch:

I can relate. I don't for a moment imagine that balancing visual quality against bandwidth costs is easy. I have this 720p/30 H.264 video I made in which not much moves. But because of a dissolve at the beginning, I had to encode at 2 Mbits/sec -- anything lower and it turned to blocky mush.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that you've also started doing temporal blurring as well (blending frame N with frame N+1). It's easy to spot in Yahtzee's videos where everything is a smash cut. You should have your video techs write up an article about all the tradeoffs they face, and all their discoveries into the secrets of 'ffmpeg'.

Any temporal blurring is at the content creator level, but I'll pass along your idea for an article to the ffMPEG wranglers since I thankfully don't have to deal with tweaking the command line nightmare of stream encoding.

Mom's gonna be soooo pissed that you broke her flower thingy!

thenumberthirteen:

Phew, I'm glad it's not just me! I'm also Pub Club, and have noticed the fuzziness in the last couple of episodes. I was afraid it was my monitor.

Fuzziness aside, I enjoyed watching the flowers extricate themselves from the breaking glass... it almost looked like they were shrugging the fall off as "just a flesh wound."

CaptainCrunch:

Hahaha, your nitpickiness is appreciated always.

Hey, christmas is coming, you better start breaking christmas stuff because there are so many christmas related stuff that you could destroy and I would enjoy...

christmas.

"Rosebud..."

Not the best, but good enough. :-)

Smashed so fast, it was like Petal to the metal. :-p

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook