Review: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

With all the hype thats been building around Cataclysm, its good to see that its standing up rather than being a marketing flop.
I'm not a WoW player because I don't have the time, but man do those cinematics make me want to play the game!
Until I see the engine in game of course...

i need to wait to the end of january or risk failing my a levels dam it!! =S do want so bad *crys*...not a strong monent for me there =P

There is nothing wrong with this review. It superbly encapsulates all parts of the changes and additions (WHICH IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF STUFF!) in the new version within only two pages.

I can only imagine how difficult this article was to write, Funk.

Also, this cannot be emphasized enough. There has never been a better, more fun, and MORE ACCESSIBLE time to join World of Warcraft then now.

Cataclysm is well worth more than Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2 was almost a near flop of an RTS in terms of its single player campaign. Cataclysm was innovative in almost every way with the addition of archaeology and the new areas while still keeping up the old vanilla WoW interface.

Why doesn't it suck? Why couldn't Blizzard screw it up?
Not just the "Whoops, guess we totally dumbed down your class ...even more" kind of messing up (got plenty of that) but making the game itself unplayable.
Now I'll start all over again, like I did with BC and WotLk (and inbetween) only to get bored again only to start anew and then get bored again and restart again and again and again...

Watching an add for Cataclysm before a review? Yes please.
Looks nice, but not enough to come back.

@ the end music: I knew you were going to pull that one, even before you mentioned "appropriate music."

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

Anyway. Can anyone tell me if the storyline from the original WoW is still there? Has this Cataclysm completely destroyed the old storyline of WoW? And if so, is it confusing to someone who's never played through the game? (I only ever got as far as the exit to the undead starting region, and now I'm worried about endless in-jokes and story references I just wouldn't get.)

Playing it as i spoke.

omicron1:
@ the end music: I knew you were going to pull that one, even before you mentioned "appropriate music."

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

Anyway. Can anyone tell me if the storyline from the original WoW is still there? Has this Cataclysm completely destroyed the old storyline of WoW? And if so, is it confusing to someone who's never played through the game? (I only ever got as far as the exit to the undead starting region, and now I'm worried about endless in-jokes and story references I just wouldn't get.)

Cataclysm completely replaces the old world of Warcraft whether you purchase the expansion or no.

That's exactly what I thought about that rolling quest. I love you for the song, it's perfect.

John Funk:

omicron1:

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

Cataclysm completely replaces the old world of Warcraft whether you purchase the expansion or no.

So.... as someone who never played through the original game, am I just going to be confused if I start in on this one? Will I be lost by references to events in the Burning Crusade or Lich King? Will there be tons of internal references to quests that happened in pre-Cataclysm Azeroth?

In other words, is the game more or less approachable from a story standpoint now that they've gone and redone everything?

omicron1:

John Funk:

omicron1:

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

So.... as someone who never played through the original game, am I just going to be confused if I start in on this one? Will I be lost by references to events in the Burning Crusade or Lich King? Will there be tons of internal references to quests that happened in pre-Cataclysm Azeroth?

In other words, is the game more or less approachable from a story standpoint now that they've gone and redone everything?

Obviously I can't 100% judge considering I am NOT a newbie, but from what I've played of the various starting zones it's actually pretty accessible. You won't be any more lost than if you just jumped in to the original six years ago.

omicron1:

John Funk:

omicron1:

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

You can always look up the lore online.

omicron1:

John Funk:

omicron1:

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

From what I've seen all the stuff you "need" to know (not that you actually need to know too much to do the quests and stuff) is told outright, the Forsaken start is especially clear even bringing up stuff from WC3. There are a lot of jokes within the game, but nothing so glaring that it should be a problem. Mostly just references to characters people have run into before which is fun for old players and nothing of interest to new players.

John Funk:

omicron1:

John Funk:

Obviously I can't 100% judge considering I am NOT a newbie, but from what I've played of the various starting zones it's actually pretty accessible. You won't be any more lost than if you just jumped in to the original six years ago.

As I've played up a character from each of the new races through their starting zones (as well as a few lower-level ones to see how some of the new lowbie quests look), I can say with a fair amount of sureity that you don't at all have to have any more knowledge of vanilla WoW to enjoy Cataclysm than you had to have had of the previous Warcraft games to have enjoyed WoW at initial release. There's a fair amount of callbacks, sure, but I've found that the quest texts and such do a fair job of explaining how things used to be and what went down.

Personally, my only- and I do mean only- complaint is the phasing techniques. Phasing bugs have prevented me from completing one quest (thankfully, it brought me to an area where new quests were available anyway), almost prevented me from continuing another (the NPC would phase out when you approached her unless you were very careful), and caused a handful of other issues with groups. However, on the whole I've found that it was pulled off exceptionally well, and gave me a sense of impact on the gameworld that only Wrath even began to show me.

Also, gratz on 85!

Yeesh. when did you hit 85? I'm pretty sure you were 84 when I logged off last night, and that was at like 4AM your time. (and I'm pretty sure you were still online :| ) Go to sleep dude.

-m

Matt_LRR:
Yeesh. when did you hit 85? I'm pretty sure you were 84 when I logged off last night, and that was at like 4AM your time. (and I'm pretty sure you were still online :| ) Go to sleep dude.

-m

Sleep is for the weak, perhaps? :) I am tempted to return but I am going to wait a bit and see. (That and wait for the low level zones to clear out a bit)

Matt_LRR:

-m

Haha, literally about thirty seconds after you logged off.

John Funk:

Matt_LRR:

-m

BAW. I seriously considered staying on longer and making some progress in deepholm.

Oh well - some of us had real jobs they had to get to this morning. :p

-m

Edit: incidentally, disappointed that my name didn't pop up in your chat log during the video review :(

I should be getting the expansion next week, but I won't be able to touch the endgame for a while (I'm only lv71)

Nice review. I've said it a dozen times, but I'll say it again: Blizzard really outdid itself with Cataclysm. Any complaints I have are minor. The biggest one is having to drudge through Outland after experiencing the revamped Azeroth. Thankfully, Nothrend is just around the bend. Also, being on a PvP server, Hyjal and Vash'jir are warzones. My character has never been killed so many times before. It's just the way of things, though; it'll die down.

The questing zones are amazing. As stated before, you feel like you're actually accomplishing something beyond gathering ears. As others have said, you don't need to know about vanilla WoW to play Cataclysm. There are a few nods, though (brother Anton's corpse in Desolace, for example).

What wows me the most are the little touches. A group of random characters in a remote part of Feralas, accessible only by flight. Why are they there? I don't know. There are axe-wielding rabbits in the mountains around Mulgore. Groups of turtles swim in Thousand Needles. Lashers in Felwood do a little dance when you take it to a spot of rich soil. These fine, unimportant details show the great care Blizzard took in making this expansion.

Also, the music is amazing.

I haven't been this excited about playing World of Warcraft since I started playing it five years ago. I'd love to experience this game for the first time NOW. This is definitely the best time to start playing/re-playing WoW.

As much as I'd like to see the old lands again, quitting before WotLK was probably the best thing I could have done. A part of me really misses trying things outside the box, seeking hidden or forgotten areas, sneaking deep into dungeons for unique loot. The bigger problem is that for all of the things people say has been done to fix the issue of time sinks and grinding, ultimately the game is still about grinding for gear to get the right stats to grind for better gear, rinse and repeat. I have a hard time seeing the fun in that.

Still, I'd spent so long in Azeroth, and it's been so long since I've been back, I am curious to see how different things really are.

Matt_LRR:

John Funk:

Matt_LRR:

-m

BAW. I seriously considered staying on longer and making some progress in deepholm.

Oh well - some of us had real jobs they had to get to this morning. :p

-m

Edit: incidentally, disappointed that my name didn't pop up in your chat log during the video review :(

Some of us had review deadlines :P

You should have sent more /tells then!

la la la la la la la, love that ending there Funky boy.

The advantage of WoW's ten year old engine means it runs pretty darn well on loads of computers, I can even play it (poorly) on my terrible laptop!

....I need to upgrade my computer :(

bakonslayer:
join World of Warcraft

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

Actually, knowing a thing or two (more like over 9000) about it, I'd rather wait for Rift and prolong my return to Az for... EVER! MUauauahahahah.

omicron1:

John Funk:

omicron1:

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

I started two months ago, and I made a different guy to play through the old content anew. I'm now spoiled because I expect a new story every month.

Right now I've hit sixty (I level at my own leisurely pace), and let me tell you it is confusing. At the moment everyone around me is shouting "RAHHHH ILLIDAN!" when the whole time leading up to it was "blah blah blah low level quests also THIS QUEST IS TO HELP PREPARE YOU TO SLAY THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS AND TO HELP BATTLE HIS FORCES." Also I made a Death Knight, and... well Death Knights are the same. Considering Arthas is dead, I shouldn't be talking to him, or having people calling me his pet or whatever.

The old content is all there, so you won't be lost in references as you can still play through it. However, they aim to down the road completely streamline this so you don't slay the Lich King only to then fight Deathwing the second after. They're going to figure out how to transition everything... eventually. It's on the to do list, but it isn't integrated yet.

John Funk:
John Funk drops epics when killed. Please don't try to test this.

Ooh, do you drop any cat gear? I could use some :D

That music at the end plays right into a discussion I've been having lately about the secret and nature of humour. The core thesis boils down to the need for the shared experience/knowledge in order for the unlikely connection to be even close to funny.

Also, how could you ignore Werewolves in top hats?

Blizzard has liberally applied the phasing technology - changing the zone as player completes quest to reflect their deeds . It was introduced in Wrath and used to great effect here, making for a much more significant feeling of progression and time than we've seen in an MMO yet.

Phasing was actually first used during Burning Crusade, to fix a couple quests in Blade's Edge. I thought it was awesome at the time, I can't believe it took Blizzard so long to figure out how to utilize it.

I actually want to try this now.

Moffman:
The advantage of WoW's ten year old engine means it runs pretty darn well on loads of computers, I can even play it (poorly) on my terrible laptop!

But then it also looks like that. ;)

what was the name of the music you used, I can't find it because it isn't in the credits. I use to play WoW but it took over my life. Have 6 lvl 80 characters with epic gear and mounts (flying NOT the luggage carrying/vendor ones)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here