Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Most Ridiculous In-Game Vehicles

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I'm still on the fence here. Firs ep was a bit mjeh, second one was solid, and this one is back to meh. She does know her stuff, and I'm still interested to see where this goes, but the delivery of the lines and jokes does need some work.

Now if we're going to be over analytical one can always go with the "not for everyone" angle. I mean the skippy-happy-MTV-Bubbly-girl style that hse presents in just isn't for me. Some of the jokes are still good, but a lot of people seem to be irked by the delivery, as we/they see themselves as more cerebral than this show and as such hate it for setting the bar too low. We want Yahtzee to challenge us with fast English, long words and complex similies, and we want videos like the game overthinker (not on this site) to go deep into topics that are relevant to games.

As such, a lot of the bile spewed at Lisa is simply due to some peopel feeling insulted that a site they love decides to cater to a different crowd. Sort of like how people from a select sub-culture get irritated when societal interest in their hobby increaces so much that they get an influx of "ignorant" people. This show will not be for everybody, because everybody does not like the style of delivery (we will also ignore the gender isue, a discussion of its own), and people will be coming on -video after video- to point out what they like and dislike because they seriously think that such changes will occur (sometyimes they will), but in the end, this is a designed show and the target audiece might not be everyone.

So keep posting about the direction you want the show to take, keep being constructive, but just be aware that somtimes you are not the centre of the universe, and just because you are more vocal than many others (i.e. the forums fill up with negative comments) the show isn't bad. It's just not good for you.

OT: Lisa, keep working, you may not be my favourite, but I'm still seeing imrpovment and it's going well so far :)

I think this episode got the balance a bit better and it does appear to be evolving as a show. The haircut though? Is that foreshadowing to "Top 5 Ridiculous Hairstyles" ep? :p

Also, as someone said above, cant believe the bike from FF7 didnt make it. That thing was oversized yet apparently still capable of defying gravity and being able to be controlled while swinging a buster blade!

This is a great show, it cuts down on the "What's your favourite..." threads by doing all the work for us. Thanks, Lisa!

That one was better than shoes. And sorry, I'm a chopper dude. I even bought myself (finally) a Harley (xr1200x). Since I'll be in the U.S next month I will also buy myself a jacket of Sons Of Anarchy.

How did this Tuktuk not make it? Look at the crazy-go-nuts stuff you gotta do in it!

Not that the Duke isn't a sexy ass bike with curves I'd trade my girlfriend for, but I think I'll stick with my CBR. A bike that you can ride for more than 20miles without having to replace half of.

MNRA:
I'm still on the fence here. Firs ep was a bit mjeh, second one was solid, and this one is back to meh. She does know her stuff, and I'm still interested to see where this goes, but the delivery of the lines and jokes does need some work.

I'm with this fellow here. For me, the second ep was where it was at, but I guess I'm used to things going off into tangents thanks to Yahtzee and MovieBob. And with a few more, I think you'll find your own balance between your topic and jokes. I'm liking this series, good work and I look forward to where it'll go on :)

Ignore the nay-sayers, Lisa. As Ben "Yahtzee" Crosshaw once said "Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous voices the happier you'll be for it."

I guess what I should say is just carry on being who you are and carry on presenting your show the way you see fit. I think your show is all the better for it. (Incidently, I do quite like it.)

Not as funny as the last two, but I still like it.
Guess vehicles just aren't funny to me.

I'd watch this chick read from the phonebook.

I'd watch this chick watch paint dry.

I'd watch this chick...you get the point.

I don't really know if it's because you are crazy-hot, but I really enjoy these top 5s.

Well he lighting is a little better in this one but she is still quite over-lit. Ahh well...

Perhaps Trivis Touchdown is just compensating for something...

Sad scrubs music and that's what she said jokes gets the laughs from me :P

Also the random clips are much more entertaining. You should definitely stick with those :)

Still sounds like you're in a REALLY empty room though, if you want suggestions.

dathwampeer:

I've got nothing against women reviewing games or being involved in the culture for that matter. In-fact I quite like it.

I didn't like Mayes Muses or whatever she was called. But I didn't complain. Because the fact that she was a women wasn't the crux of her videos. (She just sang purposefully terrible songs about games.) Or Susan Arendt's Video review supplements. I don't have anything against those. And by your logic I should.

What does annoy me about this series is that it all hangs on her being an attractive nerd girl. Would anybody honestly watch this if it was just some dude. Who wasn't attractive?

It's just sexual pandering to the horny school boy demographic.

If nothing else it's degrading.

If it was a dude it wouldn't work, just as much as ZP wouldn't work if it was a chick doing it instead. It comes down to "can you like quirkiness?". As Yahtzee is sarcastic, Foiles is quirky. Yes her looks is probably pandering to your younger guys, but that's not the entire content. Basically I just think too many people here aren't used to speaking to women to be honest and therefore are thrown back by this and can't see it without going "omgosh gurl".

Mazty:

dathwampeer:

I've got nothing against women reviewing games or being involved in the culture for that matter. In-fact I quite like it.

I didn't like Mayes Muses or whatever she was called. But I didn't complain. Because the fact that she was a women wasn't the crux of her videos. (She just sang purposefully terrible songs about games.) Or Susan Arendt's Video review supplements. I don't have anything against those. And by your logic I should.

What does annoy me about this series is that it all hangs on her being an attractive nerd girl. Would anybody honestly watch this if it was just some dude. Who wasn't attractive?

If it was a dude it wouldn't work, just as much as ZP wouldn't work if it was a chick doing it instead. It comes down to "can you like quirkiness?". As Yahtzee is sarcastic, Foiles is quirky. Yes her looks is probably pandering to your younger guys, but that's not the entire content. Basically I just think too many people here aren't used to speaking to women to be honest and therefore are thrown back by this and can't see it without going "omgosh gurl".

Ugh, saw this just after I posted and its worthy of a response.

Not all people who see it as pandering are single young nerdlings who haven't seen a girl up close and personal. I have and I still see pandering. I don't really care all that much, but its there.

But at least she tries to keep it with the times I suppose. Only reason I can see the crazy taxi rickshaw being on there is because of the news of it coming to XBLA was recently posted.

Anyone else think that the sound quality needs some sprucing up? Kinda sounds like she's underwater.

Other than that, it's ok. Not bad, not great, but ok.

In my opinion this episode was not funny. Maybe it is the hit and miss thing other comment on If I did not like the jokes and the interesting things she takes up on the show, I would be annoyed by the style.

As I missed the humour I was left to be annoyed. Hope the humour will hit me straight on next time.

dogstile:

Mazty:

dathwampeer:

Not all people who see it as pandering are single young nerdlings who haven't seen a girl up close and personal. I have and I still see pandering. I don't really care all that much, but its there.

But at least she tries to keep it with the times I suppose. Only reason I can see the crazy taxi rickshaw being on there is because of the news of it coming to XBLA was recently posted.

-.-
Can you please read what I say before replying?
"Yes her looks is probably pandering to your younger guys, but that's not the entire content."
Plus it isn't just about keeping with the times - how else can you explain things such as Blood Rayne and Morrowind? As I've said before, I like it as it's a bit of fun nostalgia in a less-depressing-than-usual format which is evident in both ZP and ETTM's.

Mazty:

dogstile:

Mazty:

-.-
Can you please read what I say before replying?
"Yes her looks is probably pandering to your younger guys, but that's not the entire content."
Plus it isn't just about keeping with the times - how else can you explain things such as Blood Rayne and Morrowind? As I've said before, I like it as it's a bit of fun nostalgia in a less-depressing-than-usual format which is evident in both ZP and ETTM's.

I did. You were actually meant to be the second guy I quoted but it seems I failed slightly. The first guy, around page 3 or so (considering we're talking horny nerd, pun!) actually mentioned horny nerd. Anyway, whoops on my part. Not correcting, I gotta go.

Gunner 51:
Ignore the nay-sayers, Lisa. As Ben "Yahtzee" Crosshaw once said "Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous voices the happier you'll be for it."

I guess what I should say is just carry on being who you are and carry on presenting your show the way you see fit. I think your show is all the better for it. (Incidently, I do quite like it.)

I agree, although I too am not enjoying this show so far. However, that doesn't mean others couldn't. Keep it coming, there seems to be a fair amount of people who do enjoy it. Anything that brings traffic to the Escapist is a good thing*.

* - unless it is a DDoS-Attack, in which case that would be the bad kind of traffic.

zelda2fanboy:
Why is it that the second nerds see a pretty girl talking about video games, they freak out and do everything they can to discredit her based off of her words or appearance? I know I have lady issues myself, but what's all of your guy's (or gal's) problem? See for example, Jessica Chobot, Morgan Webb, Olivia Munn, Rinry Game Game, or that chick from Hey Ash Whatcha Playing.

Don't be afraid. Those women are just in your computer. They can't really hurt you.

There's a "No girlz allowed!" clubhouse mentality strangling our community that makes it very unwelcoming to outsiders, particularly females. It seems like no matter how many gamer credentials she drops in these episodes, some people will blindly insist that she is a fraud designed to titillate.

I only hope that by the 5th video, those voices will quiet down and/or move on so the rest of us can enjoy her show in peace.

MNRA:
So keep posting about the direction you want the show to take, keep being constructive, but just be aware that somtimes you are not the centre of the universe, and just because you are more vocal than many others (i.e. the forums fill up with negative comments) the show isn't bad. It's just not good for you.

Good post.

Gunner 51:

Good Post too.

I've got a crazy idea, what would this show be like without seeing Ms. Foiles? Just her voiceover work? Then cut back to Ms. Foiles for some slapstick comedy?

Fasckira:
Also, as someone said above, cant believe the bike from FF7 didnt make it.

That, and Dante's bike, were both just stylized bikes. Its the drivers that made the bikes look so cool. The next step is Ghost Rider's motorcycle. After that, then you get that overblown Scooter thing, which shouldn't have been #1,...

The Rickshaw though, that I thought was a top 5. Twisted Metal's ice cream truck? What about Egg Man's(Robotnick's) Egg vehicles? He's got some crazy stuff. What about Bowser's Clown copter thing?

Monsterfurby:

I agree, although I too am not enjoying this show so far. However, that doesn't mean others couldn't. Keep it coming, there seems to be a fair amount of people who do enjoy it. Anything that brings traffic to the Escapist is a good thing*.

* - unless it is a DDoS-Attack, in which case that would be the bad kind of traffic.

I completely forgot about the web traffic. If Lisa's bringing in more traffic, it just means the Escapist will be less likely to charge for access in the future. :)

I wonder how'd she look with black hair and goth outfit.

She is WAY too aware of how sexy she is.

Drakmeire:

and is it just me of is the theme at the end a remix of this song?

Totally just you. It's 'Penpal' by Anamanaguchi:

...but everything needs more of Ida Maria. Particularly that song. Good times.

Must admit I was one of those who thought this series was all about the pandering, but now... not so much. It's starting to feel like it's actually going somewhere and her style of delivery is really growing on me. Also the fact that the above song is used as the intro/outro music makes me smile. It's a nice counterpoint to some of the more serious stuff.

Look, I'm trying really, really hard to give every new series a chance, because I've learned that shitting all over someone else's efforts based on a snap judgement is in poor taste.

Buuuuut here's the thing... this was hard for me to watch. As a concept, it's completely safe, but I don't think it will ever not be condescending for a paid actress to try to connect with her audience by saying "I know all the things you know because I'm a no-life, too!" Every time I hear it, my mind has to stop watching for long enough to say "I don't buy it"; it might just be me, but it really kills the momentum.

I'm not going to lump Lisa in with the likes of Olivia Munn (until Lisa goes on the Daily Show and butchers a bunch of perfectly good material with horrendous timing and inflection, anyway) or any of the other "she's pretty and SUPPOSEDLY PLAYS VIDEO GAMES OFF-CAMERA OH MY FUCKING GOD LOOK GUYS" banshees whose entire career is built out of playing on the offensively outdated (but depressingly relevant in terms of ratings) stereotype of the sex-starved loser applied to our particular niche market, because she really seems to be putting forth an effort... but that's kind of my problem, is that every ounce of effort is just out there in the open. It'd be a bit heavy-handed to call it "forced", but it just seems unnatural, like trying to sell me on the "NO REALLY THIS ONE PLAYS GAMES" aspect instead of just acting the part and letting us accept it.

Maybe just dial it back to believable levels of enthusiasm that an actual gamer would allow to pass for plausible, is all I'd suggest. Presently, it seems a bit disingenuous at best and fairly condescending at worst. Otherwise, this has the potential to be a solid series and I hope it succeeds.

Optimystic:

zelda2fanboy:
Why is it that the second nerds see a pretty girl talking about video games, they freak out and do everything they can to discredit her based off of her words or appearance? I know I have lady issues myself, but what's all of your guy's (or gal's) problem? See for example, Jessica Chobot, Morgan Webb, Olivia Munn, Rinry Game Game, or that chick from Hey Ash Whatcha Playing.

Don't be afraid. Those women are just in your computer. They can't really hurt you.

There's a "No girlz allowed!" clubhouse mentality strangling our community that makes it very unwelcoming to outsiders, particularly females. It seems like no matter how many gamer credentials she drops in these episodes, some people will blindly insist that she is a fraud designed to titillate.

I only hope that by the 5th video, those voices will quiet down and/or move on so the rest of us can enjoy her show in peace.

Not True, NOT TRUE!

If it was Donna (Mei Ling) Park hosting the show...

There wouldn't be any problems.

Why?! Because...

-she's a consummate professional and would supply better top 5 lists.
-she's known to the game playing public; Being a former member of E.P.
-she's a "card carrying gamer"; I dare you to ask her about the "California law".
and
-she's also the host of Auto123; Who better to talk about outrageous vehicles than a gear-head?

That girl needs some sunshine in her life.

I like these shows. They bring up games that can be talked about in interesting topics other than "Oh man, this game is so awesome." Like today, I found out you could take a rickshaw out on Crazy Taxi and plow through a traffic jam with the power of a Semi.

Lisa's cute, funny, and whimsical. It puts a smile on my face.

Brad Shepard:
Ive seen Vehicles in RPGs that trump this list, like Cloud's bike in 7/AC,

The bike in AC is crazy seeing as how its also a friggin' weapons rack, but the in-game bike is basically just a really chunky slightly cyber-punk bike. Cool, but not ridiculous.

Also, I thought of the bone waggon as soon as I saw the title of this video.

Okay, if a bit pandering.

I'm surprised the mechs from Red Faction Guerrilla didn't get a mention. The fact that you can WALK THROUGH ENTIRE BUILDINGS would qualify as "ridiculous" in my book.

Mazty:

dathwampeer:

Yahtzee's act would work if the woman's voice and attitude suited the tone of what they were saying. It probably wouldn't work now. Because we'd all be like 'who's dis bitch rippin off Yahtzee?'.

There is nothing this series provides when you take away the gimmick. The gimmick being it's a woman talking about gaming related stuff. And that's not even that original any-more.

And you're being a condescending prick. I'm 21 and before I went to Uni I was in a freakin art college with a textiles/fashion class right next to us. I was practically surrounded by insanely attractive women every day. I don't regard women as some separate species that require studying from a far. I don't even fall into the geek or nerd cliques. The only reason I'm treating this shambles of a show with disdain is because it's entire act is reliant on the fact that this woman is kinda hot. You take that away and there is nothing.

There's no deeper connotation to this. It's just that I'm able to see through something so transparent. And It's annoying.

Humanfactor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91t1RHQxxbY&feature=related

Tell me this is not top 5 material.

agreed :D

Good call on that last one. Loved that bike, loved No More Heroes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here