Preview: DC Universe Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Fearzone:
Did I see 10 mouse icons on the screen for clicking 10 times for the arial attack? Were you playing the beta on a PC?

If so, then it will be hard to generalize its performance and playability on the PS3.

Still, it looks hot, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it regardless.

Been playing the PS3 version's Beta it handles really well but has a hiccups here and there(Guessing when there's high traffic)with certain visual effects disappearing or pop-ups saying your "stunned" before showing it or how it happened.

Anyways about the 10 click mouse...I didn't use dual wielding yet but the (basic combat)* combos but the ones I did see are between square and triangle taping or holding like 3x square for a knock-up finish with dual pistols or 2x square hold triangle to double punch and do a 360 bullet spray around you.

*(non-cost moves you can string together including hand blasts,brawling,martial artist,staff,one-handed,two-handed,rifle,pistol(s),etc.)

sounds interesting, i might give it a try when it becomes free to play.

I can't decide if I want to fly or be super cool at acrobatics!! Daaamn!

This game looks friggin' cool, can't wait to give it a spin.

Well, I'm glad I can say I was wrong about this game and it turned out well. I think I might wait until there is a free trial, however. I would like to see if the game is for me before I spend $60+ on it. That and since I'm playing TOR, I'd have 3 MMOs at once....such a hard decision.

So what's with the lag? The combat mechanics sound like if you lag at perfectly-executed-blow-number-7, it'll ruin your combo for good.

My personal experience with SOE servers have been rather negative when it came to connectivity - how's the machine handling things?

Karacan:
So what's with the lag? The combat mechanics sound like if you lag at perfectly-executed-blow-number-7, it'll ruin your combo for good.

My personal experience with SOE servers have been rather negative when it came to connectivity - how's the machine handling things?

Unless you're having massive lag on your end, the server lag wont screw up a combo. Theres a good second leeway between required button presses for combos. And if your combo DOES get screwed up... oh well. Most of the combo abilities aren't that good anyways. XD

I got into the beta after my brother told me to sign up, and even then I wasn't really all that jazzed about it, but he kept suggesting I give it a try, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the look and feel of it. I don't want it to feel like every other MMO, since I already play WoW. I want something as un-WoWlike as possible, otherwise I don't have much of a reason to play. The superhero genre isn't one I've ever found especially compelling, except when it's overlapping with genres I do like (epic fantasy or space opera) but I do like good games. Here's hoping they can make it work.

Do you have to keep paying month after month for the PS3 Version?

Kiraxa:
Name ONE DC hero that does nothing but spam powers. Every DC hero goes brawl-mode constantly.

Zatanna.

Kiraxa:
Name ONE DC hero that does nothing but spam powers. Every DC hero goes brawl-mode constantly.

Raven.

Actually theres quite a few who use nothin but powers. I dont think I've ever seen Fate do anythin remotely brawl like. Most of the magicians only go "brawl-mode" if their opponents gets all up in their business and even then its mostly just to whap them away so they can go back to usin spells.

I only ever play online on my 360, so when I get this (on PS3), I'll be looking for people to here to kick ass with....

WHY IS THERE NOT A USER GROUP FOR THIS GAME?!

Hey, im playin the beta on the ps3, im having some trouble, any1 wanna play?

Wahful:

no its just a beta, but you have to have playstation plus

jaketheripper:

Wahful:

Will you need playstation plus after the official release?
Or can those that just pay for the game play fine without it?

Having played the beta, I am very disappointed in the character creation system and power sets. Both feel very limited, and the costume pieces can be unlocked in-game, creating that katamari ball of Warcraft armor. And then you have to sift through menus to turn on which costume piece you want shown. Hurrah for tedium >_>

But hay; it plays well on the PS3, and the controls feel right. My one complaint is, and this just may be my experience, but it's annoying that I can't lower myself in flight. I can shoot straight up, but to go down I have to turn off the flying altogether.

If someone wants to start a user group I wouldn't mind joining it.

I felt a little miffed that they left out Lantern's power ring in the power choices, but after a little thought it makes sense. Being a Lantern is an appointed office, not some trait to be absorbed and distributed. I would like if they make a GL Corps expansion, possibly where you have to be so far to earn it, ala Death Knight or wtv from wow. If it does become available, I'm going lantern all the way.

Also, nay-sayers complaining about subscription, read:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/6500-A-View-From-the-Road-The-Subscription-Equation

I was also concerned, but damn, pay monthly for however long you'll still play and you can't lose.

I WANT IT NAOW!!!

Zolrak 22:

jaketheripper:

Wahful:

Will you need playstation plus after the official release?
Or can those that just pay for the game play fine without it?

no you dont need it, its just that plus members get benefits, and it would be nice if plus counted as a subscription fee to the game when it comes out :P

Chill people. As you probably already know most of the previews tend to be more lenient towards games and these impressions may not be the sum of qualities and defects that the game has.

Also there is what I like to call the Aion effect: A MMO that is rather bland and unfinished as a whole but it`s opening levels are dynamite.

There is more rant somewhere deep inside me but I`ll keep that for myself for the time being. Anyway damn you Greg for making me aware of another MMO coming in 2011 other than Guild wars 2. I can`t fricking play two MMOs at once.

i have the beta for PS3 BUT the update is a whopping 15gb yeah i might wait till later to play it maybe a week be4 i get my internet back and just spend it updateing

Killerbunny001:
Chill people. As you probably already know most of the previews tend to be more lenient towards games and these impressions may not be the sum of qualities and defects that the game has.

Also there is what I like to call the Aion effect: A MMO that is rather bland and unfinished as a whole but it`s opening levels are dynamite.

There is more rant somewhere deep inside me but I`ll keep that for myself for the time being. Anyway damn you Greg for making me aware of another MMO coming in 2011 other than Guild wars 2. I can`t fricking play two MMOs at once.

I'd say wait for Guild Wars 2. I am, and I'm in the Beta for DCUO PS3. I've only played maybe an hour, so it might get better, but it made a resounding "meh" in me. But I have to wait, as I'm off to home for Xmas vacation, so I won't know for quite a bit if it gets better later.

Jaranja:
Yeah. This game looks incredible. I'll definitely be trying it when it's released.

Trying it would cost $65 at the least, wouldn't it?

I'm assuming you'll have to buy the game before you get the privelege to pay for the game monthly.

It looks much better than when I first saw it, I'm still sure I'll end up dissapointed but I'm starting to believe more and more that they'll pleasantly surprise me.

SmileyBat:
If someone wants to start a user group I wouldn't mind joining it.

I felt a little miffed that they left out Lantern's power ring in the power choices, but after a little thought it makes sense. Being a Lantern is an appointed office, not some trait to be absorbed and distributed. I would like if they make a GL Corps expansion, possibly where you have to be so far to earn it, ala Death Knight or wtv from wow. If it does become available, I'm going lantern all the way.

Also, nay-sayers complaining about subscription, read:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/6500-A-View-From-the-Road-The-Subscription-Equation

I was also concerned, but damn, pay monthly for however long you'll still play and you can't lose.

Corpsman is already confirmed to be a post-release power set. Might be released with Might and Mastery (flying brick), or it might get its own expansion, they haven't decided yet.

Sold my ps3 last year (well this year). Then they announce this.

I fail.

I so want to play this.

Huh, very interesting. Super-hero MMOs haven't really ever done anything for me, but I am pretty interested in how this combat system will work.

Thanks for the review.

OH goddamnit.
This looks awesome, I'm going to have to buy it and it will eat up much of my free time.

... Whoa.

........... Whoa.

I mean, seriously. Whoa.

I never thought this game would look that fun. I had only a mild interest in it before, now I'm gonna be sure to try it as soon as I get a comp that can run it. If it's still around by then...

Or maybe I'll make my friend get it for his PS3 >.>

Jbird:
Having played the beta, I am very disappointed in the character creation system and power sets. Both feel very limited, and the costume pieces can be unlocked in-game, creating that katamari ball of Warcraft armor. And then you have to sift through menus to turn on which costume piece you want shown. Hurrah for tedium >_>

But hay; it plays well on the PS3, and the controls feel right. My one complaint is, and this just may be my experience, but it's annoying that I can't lower myself in flight. I can shoot straight up, but to go down I have to turn off the flying altogether.

Tedium you say? I'm not too sure about that. You actually don't HAVE to tweak your appearance. That's totally optional. If it isn't worth the effort then simply don't do it. The creators of the game have explicitly stated that character customization does not end with character creation.

As for the flying thing, I imagine it would be faster to drop down then fly down. But at the same time I guess that would feel a little strange.

In any case I hope you have given your feedback to SOE. That is pretty much the whole point of Beta testing.

shintakie10:

Kiraxa:

Raven.

Actually theres quite a few who use nothin but powers. I dont think I've ever seen Fate do anythin remotely brawl like. Most of the magicians only go "brawl-mode" if their opponents gets all up in their business and even then its mostly just to whap them away so they can go back to usin spells.

That's rather interesting. Although I seriously doubt this little oddity is going to become a major problem. I think it's safe to say that the majority of DC fans who get into the game are going to be able to shrug it off easily enough.

A1:

Jbird:

Tedium you say? I'm not too sure about that. You actually don't HAVE to tweak your appearance. That's totally optional. If it isn't worth the effort then simply don't do it. The creators of the game have explicitly stated that character customization does not end with character creation.

In any case I hope you have given your feedback to SOE. That is pretty much the whole point of Beta testing.

If I don't have to tweak my appearance, then the game shouldn't do it, as well. When I make a character in this game, I don't want it's appearance to change against my will. Now, if there were an option to save my costume as, say, a card, then I can swap out for another saved costume on the fly. Sorta like that other super-hero MMO. Anyway, I do take the time to dress my virtual action figure because I'm OCD that way.

Believe me, I did send in my feedback. And if my grievances cause the game to be pushed back, again, then so be it. (I highly doubt it, considering I am in no position to demoralize an entire development team.) I like what's in the game, and I certainly hope it lasts long enough to get some mileage.

I just wish the developers would hurry up and fix some of the bugs in the beta, because I can't continue in some places >_>

Jbird:

A1:

Jbird:

If I don't have to tweak my appearance, then the game shouldn't do it, as well. When I make a character in this game, I don't want it's appearance to change against my will. Now, if there were an option to save my costume as, say, a card, then I can swap out for another saved costume on the fly. Sorta like that other super-hero MMO. Anyway, I do take the time to dress my virtual action figure because I'm OCD that way.

Believe me, I did send in my feedback. And if my grievances cause the game to be pushed back, again, then so be it. (I highly doubt it, considering I am in no position to demoralize an entire development team.) I like what's in the game, and I certainly hope it lasts long enough to get some mileage.

I just wish the developers would hurry up and fix some of the bugs in the beta, because I can't continue in some places >_>

I suppose it wouldn't hurt for the designers to add a shortcut or two to the customization process. Although I don't think there is too much cause for concern. The creators of the game have repeatedly expressed a willingness to listen and certainly a strong desire to make the best game they can.

But I don't think there is going to be much pushing back, if any. The issues you describe don't really strike me as the kind of things that would be particularly hard to address. And besides, the release date seems to have been established as January 11 2011, less than a month from now. This leads one to believe that the game is getting quite a bit of positive feedback. So that should mean that the apparently fewer instances of negative feedback would theoretically stand out more.

When is this actually out?

I've sworn off MMOs, and I watched this review wanting DC Heroes to suck because I'm still mad at SOE for what they did to Star Wars Galaxies. But I have to admit, the action-paced combat mechanics and combo systems does make for interesting dynamic for MMOs.

However, when they "tweeked" SWG with this concept, it just ripped out all the things that I liked about SWG. It killed the game because it ruined the robust Player economy by giving everyone the same skills. However, for a more action-oriented concept like Superheroes it should do quite nicely.

when is this supposed to be released?

Jbird:

Um, I just joined the beta yesterday. When I found new equipment pieces, I was asked if I wanted to change the appearance of my costume or not.

This is the PC version though, maybe the PS3 works differently? :)

I'm quite surprised and pleased with the game. Right now, I'll almost certainly buy it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here