John Funk's Five Favorites 2010

Pages 1 2 NEXT

John Funk's Five Favorites 2010

Games Editor John Funk chooses his five favorite games from the past year.

Read Full Article

Not feeling the love, John.

Don't know how Mario Galaxy 2 makes it on to anyone's list. Not my cup of tea at all. Especially considering how mirror like it is to its predecessor.

To each their own, I suppose.

I'm sensing a blizzard lover? :P
Red Dead Redemption be on your list!

Somehow I'd bet if Blizzard released 5 games this year they would all be on that list xD

And you considered Call of Doody: Black Ops... really... really?

lots of PC gaming in there, so I'm a bit lost

This could very well be the strangest top 5 list I've seen in my life...

I have to wonder how the heck he finds time for WoW and SCII... and you know, that whole work thing.

Lagao:
I'm sensing a blizzard lover? :P
Red Dead Redemption be on your list!

Didn't play it.

Dexter111:
Somehow I'd bet if Blizzard released 5 games this year they would all be on that list xD

The multiplayer, sure. I haven't even touched the singleplayer. Remember, this is our five *favorite* games, not the five best. And I had a ton of fun with the BlOps MP. I think you're letting your disdain for ATVI's business practices color your views of what's actually a very entertaining game.

John Funk:

Dexter111:

The multiplayer, sure. I haven't even touched the singleplayer. Remember, this is our five *favorite* games, not the five best. And I had a ton of fun with the BlOps MP.

It's only five hours. Try it.

It's fun.

Really.

OT: Alright, yeah, just about what I expected - Pokemon/WoW/StarCraft. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Eh, pretty much what I expected from you, though I think only Halo would make it to my top 5 out of you list, though I will say you list comes a little closer to mine than Russ's.

I was actually really letdown by Starcraft 2. I mean, the multiplayer pretty much went exactly the way I thought it would, I'd have about a week of actual fun games before everyone started learning how to actually play, than it would just become annoying. The campaign was okay, too. not what I expected, but fine. Really it's all the little things that made it a bit of a letdown for me...and to illustrate my point, a picture!

Honestly though, the whole reason it was so disappointing to me was because I couldn't play with all of my Steam friends, who all unfortunately live in the UK. Honestly, without the ability to play with friends, this game just got old, fast. If this problem occurs in Diablo 3, well I'll still get it, but I will be even more pissed!

Nice list, Funk. It's very cool to see so many differing entries on the millions of GotY lists that have magically popped up all over the Internet.

But be wary. This being the Escapist, you are going to be slaughtered for those opinions. Just wait till the Bioware fanboys arrive... (and btw, I loved ME2, but can accept that other people have different opinions). Hell, on here, listing Halo: Reach in your top 5 is putting your life on the line.

POKEMON, OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH A HEART SO TRUUuuuuuuUUUUE
OUR COURAGE WILL PULL US THROUGH
YOU TEACH ME AND ILL TEACH YOOOOOOUUU
POOOOOKKKKKKEMOOOOOON, GOTTA CATCH'EM'ALL, gotta catch'em'all
POKEMON

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh God I love me some mons... cant wait for Black and White, even if the legendaries do look about as good as hemeroid jam...

OhJohnNo:
Nice list, Funk. It's very cool to see so many differing entries on the millions of GotY lists that have magically popped up all over the Internet.

But be wary. This being the Escapist, you are going to be slaughtered for those opinions. Just wait till the Bioware fanboys arrive... (and btw, I loved ME2, but can accept that other people have different opinions). Hell, on here, listing Halo: Reach in your top 5 is putting your life on the line.

Come on man, most the people I have met on the Escapist tend to be rational people, I personally dont like Halo for its story or characters (although what ive seen of Forge he seems alright) but the game play itself is preaty good. Not just the controls (its in the same family tree as Timesplitters so of course its good) but the set up, the extras like skulls and history reports, Halo Waypoints a very cool idea. Its all good guy, its aaaaaaall good.

John Funk:
snip

Funk, I feel that we would get along wonderfully if we had met in high school.

PunkRex:

OhJohnNo:

Come on man, most the people I have met on the Escapist tend to be rational people, I personally dont like Halo for its story or characters (although what ive seen of Forge he seems alright) but the game play itself is preaty good. Not just the controls (its in the same family tree as Timesplitters so of course its good) but the set up, the extras like skulls and history reports, Halo Waypoints a very cool idea. Its all good guy, its aaaaaaall good.

Opinions on the series aside, the fact remains that while the majority of people on the Escapist are reasonable, the minority are louder. Why do you think these forums have such a bad rep on the rest of the internet? Now I know as well as you do that there are great, intelligent people on these boards, but some of us can get fierce with our favourite series' sometimes. Look at the Gaming Discussion forum and how TIME and VGA were smashed into the dirt by many for not putting ME2 at the top, and even including Reach and Mario Galaxy on their bloody lists.

Unless this dies an ignominious death due to lack of people posting (which seems likely right about now) I fear something similar may happen to Mr. Funk's list.

Well, there's one game I own on that list.
Probably not too difficult to work out which one.
Though I would agree to it being such a wonderful sink for my time.
I think I have a habit of avoiding playing it for any length of time recently as I'll know I'll get sucked back into it again and that would be bad for the games I have piling up already.

Interesting list. I never jumped on the Pokemon wagon, and I've never played a Blizzard game, so I'm a bit lost here, but I respect your opinion, sir. Mario and Halo were both excellent entries this year.

I'm guessing Susan will put Fable 3 in her Top 5. That I will probably disagree with.

Some surprises to that list imo.. Not a single one of those would even reach top 10 on my list.

But its good that people have different taste, forces developers make a wider aspect of games and thats always good..

OhJohnNo:

PunkRex:

OhJohnNo:

Opinions on the series aside, the fact remains that while the majority of people on the Escapist are reasonable, the minority are louder. Why do you think these forums have such a bad rep on the rest of the internet? Now I know as well as you do that there are great, intelligent people on these boards, but some of us can get fierce with our favourite series' sometimes. Look at the Gaming Discussion forum and how TIME and VGA were smashed into the dirt by many for not putting ME2 at the top, and even including Reach and Mario Galaxy on their bloody lists.

Unless this dies an ignominious death due to lack of people posting (which seems likely right about now) I fear something similar may happen to Mr. Funk's list.

"The minority are louder" I like that. I suppose thats true, I dont get haters, I mean im very critical of stuff (my brothers constantly having a go at me about it) but just let it be. I love Mass Effect but I think the more time you spend with something the more quilified you are to point out its flaws, just because you can point out its faults doesnt make you any less of a fan and raging at someone just completly destroys any argument you may have.

Haters gonna hate regardless I suppose. F erm.

I got to say, WoW Cataclism was the only one that didn't come up as a surprise comming from you Mr. Funk.
Everything else was totally not what I had in mind.

I admit SC2 is awesome, and just watching people play it made me interested xD

You just earned extra respect points from me. I haven't played Galaxy 2 or Halo: Reach but I'm hard pressed to disagree with anything on that list except maybe the lack of Mass Effect 2. Though HG and SS play more like crystal than their originals, which isn't a bad thing.

PunkRex:

"The minority are louder" I like that. I suppose thats true, I dont get haters, I mean im very critical of stuff (my brothers constantly having a go at me about it) but just let it be. I love Mass Effect but I think the more time you spend with something the more quilified you are to point out its flaws, just because you can point out its faults doesnt make you any less of a fan and raging at someone just completly destroys any argument you may have.

Exactly. I know all my favourite games (even the hallowed and unsurpassed Homeworld) have some flaws, no matter how minor they may be. There is no such thing as the perfect game, as much as it breaks my heart to say it - and what's more, if a game is ever released that some consider utterly perfect, chances are someone else will despise the game and think it's the worst thing ever made.

Still, with me, I'm just as likely (if not moreso) to fing new things to love about my favourite games every time I replay them as I am to find more flaws. Maybe it's just because I'm a rather positive guy when it comes to quality in games, and books, and what have you. Often, I go on to the internet with the impression "that was a great game!" and then see people saying "X was a bad bit..." and I'll go "Wow I never even noticed that". Hell, I never seem to notice FoV and framerate in games, ever.

I try not to rage at people unless they really, really annoy me. Hence, I rage at the Half-Life fanbase more often than I'd like.

OhJohnNo:

PunkRex:

Exactly. I know all my favourite games (even the hallowed and unsurpassed Homeworld) have some flaws, no matter how minor they may be. There is no such thing as the perfect game, as much as it breaks my heart to say it - and what's more, if a game is ever released that some consider utterly perfect, chances are someone else will despise the game and think it's the worst thing ever made.

Still, with me, I'm just as likely (if not moreso) to fing new things to love about my favourite games every time I replay them as I am to find more flaws. Maybe it's just because I'm a rather positive guy when it comes to quality in games, and books, and what have you. Often, I go on to the internet with the impression "that was a great game!" and then see people saying "X was a bad bit..." and I'll go "Wow I never even noticed that". Hell, I never seem to notice FoV and framerate in games, ever.

I try not to rage at people unless they really, really annoy me. Hence, I rage at the Half-Life fanbase more often than I'd like.

Yup, funny how people can point out flaws you didnt notice in the slightest. Not sure it really fases me though, ive never realised something later and gone "oooooooh mutha fudger" although I dont play as many games as id like and only on about three occassions have I ever stopped playing a game because I didnt like it. Damn you Battle Stations Pacific, you LIED to me and now your 2 achievments are a stain on my 80% plus record, sad times.

Where's Yahtzee's favorites???

Very nice list, more in my taste than the first one. Still no ME2, but I guess it's more of an experience than a favourite...
Oh, and an extra top 5 from Yahtzee would be awesome!

SoulChaserJ:
Where's Yahtzee's favorites???

Though a hilarious writer, excellent critic and awesomely talented part of The Escapist's umbrella, Yahtzee is not part of our editorial staff.

WTF? Not a single new IP game on the list? Remake after remake after remake... These people (and I'm especially looking at you Blizzard) don't need any more plugs to get us to part with our money. I hope the rest of the reviewers found at least one independent game they could appreciate this year.

dcrane:
WTF? Not a single new IP game on the list? Remake after remake after remake... These people (and I'm especially looking at you Blizzard) don't need any more plugs to get us to part with our money. I hope the rest of the reviewers found at least one independent game they could appreciate this year.

ITP people who don't understand the concept of "favorites"

dcrane:

"Snoopy Flying Ace" isn't independent?

Gxas:

John Funk:
snip

Funk, I feel that we would get along wonderfully if we had met in high school.

^ i agree....and the whole ive seen a group of people who have never touched the game get excited while watching it thing....is 100% true...i had a class my senior year of H.S (last year) and we watched the pro's play SC2 Beta....me the teacher and 1 other person had played the game before....the WHOLE CLASS would huddle around the projector screaming and yelling YEAHHHH WHOOOO GO TERRIN....the best part was an amazingly good looking girl was in that class....and normally when she walked in someone would say something....if SC2 was on....she got nothing....nothing from anyone except...OMG DID YOU SEE THAT.....ahhhh love that game

Thats the first thing I've read that made me consider buying reach.

With the exception of Reach I was able to predict the other games on Funks list. Funk did a good job of explaining his choices.

Good to see Mario Galaxy 2 getting some love. I tend to run into the anti-Nintendo crowd often on the internet, so I just got used to the (this was an actual comment) "Mario Gay-laxy sucks!". I'm not a PC gamer, I can't comment on WoW and SC2, and while I didn't like Reach that much, it was still good. Overall a good list.

Wow all francises eh? Can't get more depressing than that!

Well I liked 4 of the 5 of these games. Though I've only ever played WoW at a friends house. But not so much halo as I don't really play FPSs.

Nice, I dislike 4 out of 5 of these games while I love 4 out of 5 on Russ' list. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here