Review: 25th Anniversary Edition of Super Mario All-Stars

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was skeptical about SMAS being a 110% copy of the SNES original. Everywhere I go on the internet, I see people saying "Wow, Super Mario All Stars Wii! I can't wait to play all these games again for $30!" while I'm sitting there thinking "You know, you can always download the VC originals (which are superior to the SMAS versions) for a bit cheaper or even emulate the original Super Mario All Stars if you're that kind of person.

You think they'd at least have given it a 2.5D update like Sonic 4. Something to justify the existence of this lazy cash grab.

whats that one saying?????oh yeah.....
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
(but seriously, they could have at least tried to make it LOOK different.) Now i will just torrent the non-game stuff and pop all stars on my SNES

I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away. They don't even have the graphics upgrade that All Stars has over the original versions, they just press the widescreen and upscale buttons, toss in trophies and call it a day. I don't know about the Sly games, but for the God of War titles they didn't even press the upscale button on all of the content. Half the cutscenes would suddenly look like you were playing an original SNES on your HDTV. So not only is it nothing more than a simple port, but it's also a lazy port. And it's also a port of games for a system that you can still buy new in stores. At least Nintendo has the excuse that you can't pick up a brand new SNES and find a copy of All Stars in the GameStop used games section. And yeah the NES versions are on the VC, so if you don't care about the graphics you can save some money, but if you do then All Stars is here for you and you aren't about to get it anywhere else for Wii. The only thing Sony can say for their collections is "Yeah we took out the ability to play these games on their original discs so now you can just buy these games all over again! And while you're at it, here's the PSP Go, get one of those and re-buy your PSP collection from us as well."

So yeah. I just don't get why Nintendo gets blasted for re-releasing a game you can't your hands on easily, but Sony does the same thing with games that aren't that hard to find and people act like they are awesome when in reality it is Sony that's really ripping people off.

mjc0961:
I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away. They don't even have the graphics upgrade that All Stars has over the original versions, they just press the widescreen and upscale buttons, toss in trophies and call it a day. I don't know about the Sly games, but for the God of War titles they didn't even press the upscale button on all of the content. Half the cutscenes would suddenly look like you were playing an original SNES on your HDTV. So not only is it nothing more than a simple port, but it's also a lazy port. And it's also a port of games for a system that you can still buy new in stores. At least Nintendo has the excuse that you can't pick up a brand new SNES and find a copy of All Stars in the GameStop used games section. And yeah the NES versions are on the VC, so if you don't care about the graphics you can save some money, but if you do then All Stars is here for you and you aren't about to get it anywhere else for Wii. The only thing Sony can say for their collections is "Yeah we took out the ability to play these games on their original discs so now you can just buy these games all over again! And while you're at it, here's the PSP Go, get one of those and re-buy your PSP collection from us as well."

So yeah. I just don't get why Nintendo gets blasted for re-releasing a game you can't your hands on easily, but Sony does the same thing with games that aren't that hard to find and people act like they are awesome when in reality it is Sony that's really ripping people off.

they released super mario all stars + world on the super nintendo back in the day and this version hasnīt changed anything from that original carterige. at least the collections from sony are all the games in one disk with updated visuals and trophies while this game is exactly the same as the one a lot of people bought back in the day (in short sony actualy did something to the game while nintendo didnīt)

side note: i thought it was obvious from a lot of games (namely DKC) that nintendo i using nostalgia to an almost criminal level to sell their games. i havenīt played the original DKC and i though it was okay (not as spectacular as some people are saying but not bad) i realy hope that this nostalgia starts to wear off soon so we can see something new from nintendo (i would like to instigate a chalange here: name five original exclusive IPīs on the wii (no sequels and no old nintendo franchises) iīm gona guess that this will be dificult for most of you)

mjc0961:

Just to be clear, they didn't update the graphics, it's the exact same as the graphics for Super Mario All Stars on the SNES, which was an improvement on the NES version but nothing has been updated since. The menu is the same as All Stars. It's not even the bigger version of All Stars. All they did was copy and paste the code, put it on a disc. Not to mention the fact that the entire SMAS is about five hours of gameplay.

Looking at this makes me sad. I already bought and played these games with the Virtual Console.

They didn't even add my favorite: Super Mario World, which I had for the Advance and I lost it.

That's pretty sloppy. Really, really sloppy.

Shame indeed.

mjc0961:
I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away.

I don't own any of those games nor a PS3 so I hadn't paid attention, but sure, I'll be happy to call that a ripoff too. (Then again I do tend to call everything Sony sells a ripoff.)

Good for younger players who want to look into some retro games, perhaps. Although I couldn't possibly play Super Mario Bros. 1 with updated graphics. Not at all.

Man, I still play that game, and it's even more fun now than it was back in my childhood.

Lol. $30?

That's not even so bad.

The UK price for this was Ģ24.99

And the 4 games seperately on the Virtual console comes to 2100 points.

Now, from memory, if you buy them on the Wii shop channel, you pay Ģ7.99 for 1000 points.

That means, the total cost of buying all 4 titles is Ģ16.97

So, you're paying an extra Ģ8.02 here... For...? (that's $12+ if you want a conversion)

Spot1990:
Not to mention the fact that the entire SMAS is about five hours of gameplay.

Wait, what? Have you actually played any of these games? Without taking the shortcuts that is?

OK, this isn't in this collection, but Super Mario World serves a decent example.
If you take the shortest route to the end game, you can finish it in <30 minutes.

If you play it through though...

The same logic applies to the older games.

Super Mario Bros - taking the warp to world 8 will cut out 90% of the game. But how does that count?

OK, there are about 24 stages, and they're designed to take 2 minutes to play if you can do them flawlessly.
But I doubt anyone's going to be that good unless they've played it a lot already.

Anyway... 5 hours. Huh. That just seems unlikely for all but the most inhumanly good players.

Greg Tito:
Snip

Another problem I think is that the graphics SHOULDN'T be better.

The update makes the worlds more colorful, but they make Mario look a little weird, since they tried to keep Mario looking somewhat similar to his 8-bit counterpart.

The old graphics also are just more retro and nostalgic to the players that played the originals, which I think would hamper the experience if your trying to play the game to relive your favorite Christmas morning.

Really no 2.5d upgrade, bad form nintendo, bad form

gardyna:

mjc0961:

they released super mario all stars + world on the super nintendo back in the day and this version hasnīt changed anything from that original carterige. at least the collections from sony are all the games in one disk with updated visuals and trophies while this game is exactly the same as the one a lot of people bought back in the day (in short sony actualy did something to the game while nintendo didnīt)

side note: i thought it was obvious from a lot of games (namely DKC) that nintendo i using nostalgia to an almost criminal level to sell their games. i havenīt played the original DKC and i though it was okay (not as spectacular as some people are saying but not bad) i realy hope that this nostalgia starts to wear off soon so we can see something new from nintendo (i would like to instigate a chalange here: name five original exclusive IPīs on the wii (no sequels and no old nintendo franchises) iīm gona guess that this will be dificult for most of you)

So Sony does what Nintendon't?
Please don't hit me.

tehannihalator:

gardyna:
[quote="mjc0961" post="6.251311.9325283"]-SNIP-)

Please don't hit me.

XD oh god that one made me laugh WAY too hard

I think this package is more of a souvenir for Mario's 25th Anniversary than a legitimate game release.

tehannihalator:

gardyna:
[quote="mjc0961" post="6.251311.9325283"]-SNIP-

Please don't hit me.

XD that one made me laugh way too much

sorry it was a repost

CrystalShadow:
Lol. $30?

That's not even so bad.

The UK price for this was Ģ24.99

And the 4 games seperately on the Virtual console comes to 2100 points.

Now, from memory, if you buy them on the Wii shop channel, you pay Ģ7.99 for 1000 points.

That means, the total cost of buying all 4 titles is Ģ16.97

So, you're paying an extra Ģ8.02 here... For...? (that's $12+ if you want a conversion)

Spot1990:
Not to mention the fact that the entire SMAS is about five hours of gameplay.

Wait, what? Have you actually played any of these games? Without taking the shortcuts that is?

OK, this isn't in this collection, but Super Mario World serves a decent example.
If you take the shortest route to the end game, you can finish it in <30 minutes.

If you play it through though...

The same logic applies to the older games.

Super Mario Bros - taking the warp to world 8 will cut out 90% of the game. But how does that count?

OK, there are about 24 stages, and they're designed to take 2 minutes to play if you can do them flawlessly.
But I doubt anyone's going to be that good unless they've played it a lot already.

Anyway... 5 hours. Huh. That just seems unlikely for all but the most inhumanly good players.

Actually now that you mention it my playthrough on 1 was less than 30 mins, so I must have used warp pipes, I honestly don't remember. I completed the lost levels in less than two hours, same with SMB3... I don't actually remember SMB2 all that well TBH.

So a full play through is probably about 7 or 8 hours. As each on can be completed in about 2 hours.

Anyway, I should clarify. My problem isn't that this is just a collection of old games. It's that this is an overpriced bad collection of games. All Stars was already a compilation. Why not do a newer version or even take All Stars and SM 64 and Sunshine. $30 dollars for a game where all the coding could be done by one guy in minutes.

Spot1990:

Actually now that you mention it my playthrough on 1 was less than 30 mins, so I must have used warp pipes, I honestly don't remember. I completed the lost levels in less than two hours, same with SMB3... I don't actually remember SMB2 all that well TBH.

So a full play through is probably about 7 or 8 hours. As each on can be completed in about 2 hours.

Anyway, I should clarify. My problem isn't that this is just a collection of old games. It's that this is an overpriced bad collection of games. All Stars was already a compilation. Why not do a newer version or even take All Stars and SM 64 and Sunshine. $30 dollars for a game where all the coding could be done by one guy in minutes.

Oh, I agree, this release is pretty sad. I just found that one comment a little weird.

Then again, these are old games that rely on their difficulty to keep them going, rather than their actual length.

Somehow, I get the feeling actual game length peaked somewhere between Between the late SNES period, and Early N64/Playstation era.

Before that time games were quite short because the teams were small and the budgets even smaller.
After that period, the development costs were getting to the point that making anything of even a moderate length with any kind of attention to detail took forever and cost a small fortune.

I'd have to agree 100% with the reviewer on this one. It's a SNES game on a Wii disc with nothing new. No graphical update, no extra games, nothing.

Cash in is cashing in.

Greg Tito:
Not good enough to do the mario

Blasphemy!
It is always a good reason to do the mario. There should be a vid showing people of the escapist "Do the Mario" =D

To be fair, it sounds like a reasonable price tbh for such a compilation even if nothing new is done with them.

Necromancer1991:
Really no 2.5d upgrade, bad form nintendo, bad form

I would have been happy if they just threw in a few more games like mario world and mario 64 or even just added some cool behind the scenes stuff on the game disk, but just being a port of all stars really bugs me but I still cant decide if I want to trade it in since its still mario

yeah, needs more mario to convince me I'm afraid, for the price of that rehash, I could probably find the original SNES cartridge and an old SNES to play it on.

now, a DVD with 'Nintendo - the SNES years', all Nintendo's first party releases for the SNES on one disc, that would be worth the cash.

Ya know......... you have a 2.5D thing just bring the default games up to that visual level, bring all in Mario land,Wario land bring in princess peach do it under the newest mario 2.5 engine like the others sell all wif swag for 60$ and as DLC for 5 a pop(55-70 in all) and call it a day. Nintendo... you suck.... its bad enough the wii is still a joke precision wise but this is just sad.....

therandombear:

Greg Tito:

Blasphemy!
It is always a good reason to do the mario. There should be a vid showing people of the escapist "Do the Mario" =D

If only we had something like that....

What a huge waste of a chance. They could have added super mario world, yoshi's island, super mario 64 and maybe even sunshine and you would have had all the core mario tittles from all the previous consoles in a single package. THEN it would have been a really compelling package even if it didn't receive any tweaks.

I don't care if it's the same as the SNES version excluding SMW. I never played All Stars on the SNES during my elementary school years. I'm actually glad I got this as a Xmas gift. 30 bucks is not a big deal, especially when you get it 10 bucks off from Best Buy (Reward Zone holiday discount ftw).

If it had included Super Mario World, at least, I'd have considered it. You know, if I didn't actually own a working cartridge and SNES that has the exact same things on it. But, it's not like the games are any less fulfilling. We are talking about some of the most played games in gaming history, with secrets, tricks, misses, deaths, items, and koopas out the wazoo. Just the shear number of them that we still remember is testament to some of the greatest examples of the evolution of gaming. Which, coincidentally, is the same thing I'm discovering with New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

Personally I think the music CD and art booklet are worth the $8 difference.

But then I also happened to come upon a great deal that got me All-Stars and the Wii Sports Resort pack for under €40, so I finally have my Wii MotionPlus.

CaptainCrunch:

therandombear:

Greg Tito:

Blasphemy!

If only we had something like that....

I forgot about that one, I feel sad now for forgetting it =(

I think you can safely drop the "trying to". This game has sold pretty darn well, particularly considering it is just a lame rerelease.

I have thought about getting this but I still have the version that came with Super Mario World on my SNES and it works perfectly.

Unhappy Crow:
I don't care if it's the same as the SNES version excluding SMW. I never played All Stars on the SNES during my elementary school years. I'm actually glad I got this as a Xmas gift. 30 bucks is not a big deal, especially when you get it 10 bucks off from Best Buy (Reward Zone holiday discount ftw).

That's still 20 bucks for
like half a dozen Mbs of game. The issue is that there really is no way to justify that price point for a game where literally all of the work has been done for at least 17 years. This port could have been made by one guy on his lunch break. There are indie games that offer way more content for one or two bucks. Honestly, each of the SM All Stars games individually on a digital download should cost like a buck at this stage. But if for some reason you want them on a disc with a booklet and soundtrack. 10, 15 bucks tops.

Honestly I think

8.99 GBP
12.99 Euro
14.99 USD

Would be a reasonable price. Because all the expenses for this game was packaging, advertising and shipping.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here