Review: 25th Anniversary Edition of Super Mario All-Stars

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm going to pick the game up, because if what I hear is actually true, all the copies made right now are the only copies made. So as a collector, I like the idea of having the game in my collection. If the interest was there for this, maybe it could of done what Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition did. Go out of print and skyrocket in price.

I agree that it sux. If they had put SMW, 64, and Sunshine on it, it would've been the greatest thing ever, but.....

I'm still gonna get it.

No Super Mario World? Or SMW2? Come on Nintendo. This is hardly an 'all-stars' for today.

Unhappy Crow:
I don't care if it's the same as the SNES version excluding SMW. I never played All Stars on the SNES during my elementary school years. I'm actually glad I got this as a Xmas gift.

YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO KNOW YET!! D:

Seriously, the compilation does seem sadly bare-boned for such a grand occasion. I think it would've been great if they packaged the Mario character figures they gave as Club Nintendo Platinum awards this year with it.

therandombear:

Greg Tito:
Not good enough to do the mario

Blasphemy!
It is always a good reason to do the mario. There should be a vid showing people of the escapist "Do the Mario" =D

To be fair, it sounds like a reasonable price tbh for such a compilation even if nothing new is done with them.

Just want to say thanks for posting that video. Such fond memories with that one.

As for all the whining about the game existing, don't buy it if
a. You already own these games
b. you don't have enough money
c. you are not a collector or superfan
d. you are not a confused parent or grandparent that will buy this because Mario is the only videogame character you have ever heard of, and you think the whippersnappers will like it.

Greg all you really did for me in this review is telling me what i already know, this is a cheap cash-in special edition with no shame.

Yahzee is going to bum-rape nintendo for this.

I knew it was going to be the same stupid game. The biggest slap in the face is that they didn't do the version with Mario World. They actually made that version but didn't use it, it's psychotic!

I mean for this you should have gotten Mario World, Yoshis Island and Warios Woods.

Hell you can still get the cartridge for allstars for the same price..WITH MARIO WORLD.

Isn't comparing this to the VC releases a little silly? The games aren't the same. The All Stars Version has the updated look and everything. Unless there are things missing in the AS version that were in the originals, couldn't they be considered the "definitive" version?
Then if that's that case, this is the first time the proper version of the games has been available since 1993.

Having said that, flame on.

EricBC:
Isn't comparing this to the VC releases a little silly? The games aren't the same. The All Stars Version has the updated look and everything. Unless there are things missing in the AS version that were in the originals, couldn't they be considered the "definitive" version?
Then if that's that case, this is the first time the proper version of the games has been available since 1993.

Having said that, flame on.

It's still 17 year old code and such a simple game that most indie games took at least as much work to make and only sell for about a buck a piece. No work went into the re-release it was just copying existing code. They didn't update it. As I said one guy could have thrown this together on his lunch break on a laptop. There is no way to justify $30 for this.

mjc0961:
I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away. They don't even have the graphics upgrade that All Stars has over the original versions, they just press the widescreen and upscale buttons, toss in trophies and call it a day. I don't know about the Sly games, but for the God of War titles they didn't even press the upscale button on all of the content. Half the cutscenes would suddenly look like you were playing an original SNES on your HDTV. So not only is it nothing more than a simple port, but it's also a lazy port. And it's also a port of games for a system that you can still buy new in stores. At least Nintendo has the excuse that you can't pick up a brand new SNES and find a copy of All Stars in the GameStop used games section. And yeah the NES versions are on the VC, so if you don't care about the graphics you can save some money, but if you do then All Stars is here for you and you aren't about to get it anywhere else for Wii. The only thing Sony can say for their collections is "Yeah we took out the ability to play these games on their original discs so now you can just buy these games all over again! And while you're at it, here's the PSP Go, get one of those and re-buy your PSP collection from us as well."

So yeah. I just don't get why Nintendo gets blasted for re-releasing a game you can't your hands on easily, but Sony does the same thing with games that aren't that hard to find and people act like they are awesome when in reality it is Sony that's really ripping people off.

The main difference is SMAS was released twice while those two collections were released once. Couple that with the ease of being able to play all the titles in their collections without having to hunt down each one and you'll find that you're just laughing in ignorance. Also, there are people who enjoy the games in the collections who didn't happen to buy any of the separate disks, so they would love such collections. Don't forget about them.

couldve sworn the old collection also had super mario world, does this not even have that??? if so big old WTF!!!! to nintendo

Spot1990:
You think they'd at least have given it a 2.5D update like Sonic 4. Something to justify the existence of this lazy cash grab.

Hell, they likely had access to the NSMBW engine and assets. It shouldn't be all that hard to duplicate levels from the original.

Hell, they could have been even lazier and just claimed some HBC hackpack.

I would pay thirty bucks for the soundtrack alone, personally. But hey, to each their own.

mjc0961:
I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away. They don't even have the graphics upgrade that All Stars has over the original versions, they just press the widescreen and upscale buttons, toss in trophies and call it a day. I don't know about the Sly games, but for the God of War titles they didn't even press the upscale button on all of the content. Half the cutscenes would suddenly look like you were playing an original SNES on your HDTV. So not only is it nothing more than a simple port, but it's also a lazy port. And it's also a port of games for a system that you can still buy new in stores. At least Nintendo has the excuse that you can't pick up a brand new SNES and find a copy of All Stars in the GameStop used games section. And yeah the NES versions are on the VC, so if you don't care about the graphics you can save some money, but if you do then All Stars is here for you and you aren't about to get it anywhere else for Wii. The only thing Sony can say for their collections is "Yeah we took out the ability to play these games on their original discs so now you can just buy these games all over again! And while you're at it, here's the PSP Go, get one of those and re-buy your PSP collection from us as well."

So yeah. I just don't get why Nintendo gets blasted for re-releasing a game you can't your hands on easily, but Sony does the same thing with games that aren't that hard to find and people act like they are awesome when in reality it is Sony that's really ripping people off.

PS2 collections are re-mastered with 2x anti-aliasing and run at a locked 60 frames-per-second. Hell, the Sly Collection even has move support. You can't compare what Sony did to the way Nintendo just slapped some NES games on a disc and called it a day.

In all truth, this is a bit of a nitpick. First off, yes the game does cost a little more than the games off of the Wii Shop Channel. Why? Because of the book and the comprehensive soundtrack. In a way this is a discount. Not only do you get a free artbook and guide to Mario history, you get a dirt-cheap CD. Video game soundtracks are expensive and hard to come by physical copies. So if you like the extras, this is a deal.

This game is a testament to how lazy Nintendo has been this year.

CrystalShadow:

Spot1990:
Not to mention the fact that the entire SMAS is about five hours of gameplay.

Wait, what? Have you actually played any of these games? Without taking the shortcuts that is?

OK, this isn't in this collection, but Super Mario World serves a decent example.
If you take the shortest route to the end game, you can finish it in <30 minutes.

If you play it through though...

The same logic applies to the older games.

Super Mario Bros - taking the warp to world 8 will cut out 90% of the game. But how does that count?

OK, there are about 24 stages, and they're designed to take 2 minutes to play if you can do them flawlessly.
But I doubt anyone's going to be that good unless they've played it a lot already.

Anyway... 5 hours. Huh. That just seems unlikely for all but the most inhumanly good players.

Oh so true. I've played Super Mario Allstars for as long as I've played videogames (first videogame evaar), and I still haven't beat it.

So yes, you need to play through it quite a few times until you're done...

I don't think I've ever seen a more poignant example of how Nintendo are just leeching money off of people now without giving anything back. I could stomach New Super Mario Bros. Wii because it's kinda different to the DS version, but nobody on earth could ever say this was worth porting. Not only is it hideously expensive, there are no improvements made to the games at all. Who the hell can defend Nintendo's logic behind this? I got my copy of Super Mario All Stars FREE with my Super Nintendo!

Wait, is Super Mario World in this collaboration? It better damn well be!

that's kinda silly about the game select screen. If Nintendo really wanted a Mario collection, you'd think they'd put more into the disk. I mean those games can't be more than a few megs. THey could have updated the menu, included some cool Miyamoto interview or something, at least some better bonus material than just a soundtrack and... well maybe a few more super mario games? Super Mario world maybe, you know more than just three... That would have made it a bit more worth the money...

Actually I was a little displeased they used Mario 3 graphics for all of them. I think having the orginal graphics would have been awesome.

And we have always been able to play Lost Levels. Super Marios All Stars for the NES. had all this on there AND Super Mario World!

tehannihalator:

So Sony does what Nintendon't?
Please don't hit me.

I will personally smite anyone who hits yo for that.

Anyway, I think Graham Stark said it best on ENN a while back: This is why we can't have nice games, people.

So we finally have the ultimate distillation of Nintendo's copy and paste mentality.

Just to clarify, I am not a Nintendo hater, in fact I believe every game publisher should have a lazy, corner cutting development team to make cheap, cash-in games for the 'casual gamer' and 'ultra hardcore collect everything' crowd, making money that can be used for good original ideas; but as an industry it needs to stop fellating companies for games like Mario Galaxy 2 and any COD using the Modern Warfare engine which (except the first one, obviously), despite the quality of the games, are just shameless cash-ins to suck more revenue away from fresher more innovative titles.

More power to the Escapist for having opinions for reviews rather than marketing and revenue initiatives.

They should do this with Kirby.
Remeber Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards? The double-sided Lightening blade?!? The sandpaper ability so you could light yourself on fire and run around killing stuff using your flaming body as a weapon?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVRtc5ljqBg&feature=related

Kirby had some amazing games back in the day! And plenty of them! They should totally re-release the kirby games.

I still own SMAS on the SNES so I see no point in buying this if you (like me) keep great old games. $2 at a yard sale beats $30 at Wal-Mart everyday.

I was thinking they'd recreate the games using the New Super Mario Bros. engine. But they didn't. Oh well.

Burning a single SNES cart to a DVD is pretty damn hilarious.

Maybe it's too much, but I still bought it.

The package looks good on my shelf, along with various other collectors editions,
and Mario is responsible for a fair share of my fondest childhood memories.

But, it wouldn't have killed them to toss in a little more.

Fronzel:
Burning a single SNES cart to a DVD is pretty damn hilarious.

pretty much.

my SNES version has SMW on it as well.

you could probably buy the console and the cart from ebay for less than they are charging for this in the high street..

Spot1990:

Unhappy Crow:
I don't care if it's the same as the SNES version excluding SMW. I never played All Stars on the SNES during my elementary school years. I'm actually glad I got this as a Xmas gift. 30 bucks is not a big deal, especially when you get it 10 bucks off from Best Buy (Reward Zone holiday discount ftw).

That's still 20 bucks for
like half a dozen Mbs of game. The issue is that there really is no way to justify that price point for a game where literally all of the work has been done for at least 17 years. This port could have been made by one guy on his lunch break. There are indie games that offer way more content for one or two bucks. Honestly, each of the SM All Stars games individually on a digital download should cost like a buck at this stage. But if for some reason you want them on a disc with a booklet and soundtrack. 10, 15 bucks tops.

Honestly I think

8.99 GBP
12.99 Euro
14.99 USD

Would be a reasonable price. Because all the expenses for this game was packaging, advertising and shipping.

I agree with you, but I think you're a little off on the size of the games. An average SNES game runs between one and two megabytes, so if they were going to give us half a dozen megs worth of games, they could easily give us Allstars, World, and Yoshi's Island. Heck, considering that they managed to slip World into a cartridge along with the games in Allstars, my guess would be that they would have to throw in another game before actually hitting half a dozen megs.

You know what really gets me about this, and the prices on the virtual console in general? When Sega releases their old Genesis games on a disc, you get dozens of games on one disc, for roughly $20. That means you get a whole lot more games for a whole lot less money than you do from Nintendo. I might pay $5 a pop for some of these games if I could find an actual cartridge, but Nintendo is barking up the wrong tree if they think I'll pay that for a digital copy; $30 for one game, an art book, and a CD is right out.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Spot1990:

Unhappy Crow:
I don't care if it's the same as the SNES version excluding SMW. I never played All Stars on the SNES during my elementary school years. I'm actually glad I got this as a Xmas gift. 30 bucks is not a big deal, especially when you get it 10 bucks off from Best Buy (Reward Zone holiday discount ftw).

That's still 20 bucks for
like half a dozen Mbs of game. The issue is that there really is no way to justify that price point for a game where literally all of the work has been done for at least 17 years. This port could have been made by one guy on his lunch break. There are indie games that offer way more content for one or two bucks. Honestly, each of the SM All Stars games individually on a digital download should cost like a buck at this stage. But if for some reason you want them on a disc with a booklet and soundtrack. 10, 15 bucks tops.

Honestly I think

8.99 GBP
12.99 Euro
14.99 USD

Would be a reasonable price. Because all the expenses for this game was packaging, advertising and shipping.

I agree with you, but I think you're a little off on the size of the games. An average SNES game runs between one and two megabytes, so if they were going to give us half a dozen megs worth of games, they could easily give us Allstars, World, and Yoshi's Island. Heck, considering that they managed to slip World into a cartridge along with the games in Allstars, my guess would be that they would have to throw in another game before actually hitting half a dozen megs.

You know what really gets me about this, and the prices on the virtual console in general? When Sega releases their old Genesis games on a disc, you get dozens of games on one disc, for roughly $20. That means you get a whole lot more games for a whole lot less money than you do from Nintendo. I might pay $5 a pop for some of these games if I could find an actual cartridge, but Nintendo is barking up the wrong tree if they think I'll pay that for a digital copy; $30 for one game, an art book, and a CD is right out.

Actually your right, it's more like 3 - 4 Mbs. If this didn't have "Mario" and "Nintendo" attached to it it wouldn't cost nearly as much. If it was a new game (that someone actually spent time writing code for rather than just using existing code and the work hasn't been done for them already for almost two decades) it'd be on XBLA for about $5 tops. Talk about paying for the label. My main problem is the cost of making it in relation to profits must be one to a few thousand and that's including packaging, marketing, shipping and the cut retailers will take.

mjc0961:
At least Nintendo has the excuse that you can't pick up a brand new SNES and find a copy of All Stars in the GameStop used games section.

Actually, my wife and I bought SMB: All Stars for my SNES (now almost 20 years old), after finding a used copy at Microplay last year.

OP: SMB: All Stars should be played by everyone. It's a shining example of some of the best classic games you'll ever play. I disagree with your comment about Digital Distribution though. The best version is ALWAYS the disk based one. DD is an inevitable evil. Until it becomes standard, gamers should be encouraged to OWN a physical copy of the games they play, so as not to be at the mercy of money hungry corporations (Valve, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony and everyone else).

Personally, I think it's great that Nintendo are re-releasing this old hit for the Wii as a retail game. I've always maintained that if they are really serious about their updated "old school" market plan, they should have done this right at the start of the Wii's launch. Hell, they should probably go one further and re-release other old classics, like Starfox, a Link to the past or Super Castlevania IV for the Wii too.

Seriously, who here would'nt want to buy THAT on retail?

Bah!

I bought this as a Christmas gift for my younger brother, and while this may just be the same as the SNES version I still don't regret buying it. We don't have a SNES anyways, so why should I care its no different from the original? Its not like I cared about fancy visuals when I bought this in the first place.

Stilt-Man:
I think this package is more of a souvenir for Mario's 25th Anniversary than a legitimate game release.

Exactly. Nintendo always pitched this as a collector's item in the vein of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, not as the next big Mario game. The fact that they're only going to ship a set amount of copies like MPT only solidifies this.

Collectors and Retro/Mario fans will be all over this no matter what reviewers say.

mocruz1200:
whats that one saying?????oh yeah.....
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
(but seriously, they could have at least tried to make it LOOK different.) Now i will just torrent the non-game stuff and pop all stars on my SNES

It kind of is broken...slightly.

I recently picked it up the collection (because I'm a sucker for a soundtrack), popped it into my Wii, and found that, when the game is stretched from the native display format, a lot of the objects get this weird shimmering rainbow effect.

But I suppose that's telling of how they're making money from this. How many other people bought it on brand recognition?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here