Trailers: Dragon Age II Combat Walkthrough

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age II Combat Walkthrough

Dragon Age II allows you to freely tackle combat as an fast paced action rpg or as a more tactical pause and play method.

Watch Video

Well this has helped aliviate some of the concerns I had regarding various things in the game, what would really make me happy though, to give complete confidence in my preorder that I've given, is to try the beta/demo whatever just to feel it myself

Gotta say, I'm loving the new flow of this combat system. I saw the trailer yesterday when it went live on the main sight. The responsiveness is impressive at least, and it seems worked into every class, even my dearly beloved mage, should make battles more 'cinematic' i suppose. Although, really, the thing that struck me the most from the trailer, was the sight of Varric, archer rogue, attacking from stealth without instantly coming out of stealth mode. Good God would that game be a breeze with stealth that doesn't end after the first strike during combat. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Isn't that just the same as the first one?...

Exort:
Isn't that just the same as the first one?...

I think it's a drastic improvement over Origins, the combat flows much smoother and it looks like it's had a much needed graphical overhaul. I loved the first game, but I always thought it could use a touch up in a few places.

Looks good. Don't think I'll be using the latter play mechanic as that was probably the one major thing I didn't like about Origins (hence why I think being a Rogue is awesome - a lot more hands-on than the the other classes). I like being able to use player skill and reflexes as opposed to random number guessing.

I'm nitpicking at this point, but while I'm not keen on the idea of having to play as a character with a "canon" name and appearance (i.e. Shepard for the ME series), at the very least I hope I'm able to customize either the name or appearance.

SageRuffin:

I'm nitpicking at this point, but while I'm not keen on the idea of having to play as a character with a "canon" name and appearance (i.e. Shepard for the ME series), at the very least I hope I'm able to customize either the name or appearance.

No, you will always have that beard. Even if you play as a woman. It's canon you see.

Well, it certainly looks a lot more fun than DA:O...

Team Hollywood:

Dragon Age II allows you to freely tackle combat as an fast paced action rpg or as a more tactical pause and play method.

Watch Video

Well that was silly and pointless. I'm not really sure how both styles can really work equally well. I mean, in one, you try to keep up with the action, but obviously aren't reacting fast enough. In the other, you are more accurate due to infinite time. The 'real time' version of things just looks like it'd be harder.

Anyone else surprised that the action rpg version didn't mention setting up scripts for characters, but rather had you manually giving orders to all your characters?

Is it wrong to say that I think it looks "too" smooth? The action/rpg look made it seem like they were playing in 1.5x speed level. I loved my old clunky Dragon Age: Origins combat. Looks like I'll just stick with the tactical combat (even though it looks like it's going super fast as well) Don't worry Bioware, I already pre-ordered it and will be sticking to it.

I'm relatively sure that rogue died in the next "turn" at the end of the movie. ;)

ooh wow....that was better then i hoped for.

Zechnophobe:

Team Hollywood:

Watch Video

Well that was silly and pointless. I'm not really sure how both styles can really work equally well. I mean, in one, you try to keep up with the action, but obviously aren't reacting fast enough. In the other, you are more accurate due to infinite time. The 'real time' version of things just looks like it'd be harder.

You don't have to stick to one playing style, you can, for example use the action method in easy small scale battles and the tactical pause method in the hard battles.

In the first game play vid of DA2 i ever saw the first comment was something along the lines of: "Bioware r gay they made DA into a hack and slash devil may cry rip off WILL NOT BUY!!!111!1!".

I'm glad that man (and all others like him) can see how short sighted and stupid they were to think that BW would scrap a core game mechanic in DA's first true sequel.
I can hardly wait untill march. =]

Pillypill:
In the first game play vid of DA2 i ever saw the first comment was something along the lines of: "Bioware r gay they made DA into a hack and slash devil may cry rip off WILL NOT BUY!!!111!1!".

I'm glad that man (and all others like him) can see how short sighted and stupid they were to think that BW would scrap a core game mechanic in DA's first true sequel.

Can you blame me and others like me?

After what Bioware did with Mass Effect 2, how could I not fear for the same over-simplicity to strike in Dragon Age 2?

Onyx Oblivion:

Pillypill:

After what Bioware did with Mass Effect 2, how could I not fear for the same over-simplicity to strike in Dragon Age 2?

You mean they turned Mass Effect from a mediocre title with horrid item management and controls, into one of the finest games put out in the last couple years? God, I sure hope they don't do THAT again.

Zechnophobe:

Onyx Oblivion:

Pillypill:

You mean they turned Mass Effect from a mediocre title with horrid item management and controls, into one of the finest games put out in the last couple years? God, I sure hope they don't do THAT again.

Thats complete opinion. however they did simplify it. that IS true.

hes worried that it would be simplified. its nothing to do with the game being "good" or "bad"

Sorry, Did not mean to post twice.

Welcome to this weeks edition of "Hammering home the point, that you do not HAVE to play it as an Action RPG, seriously. Totally not lying.".

mrwoo6:

Zechnophobe:

Onyx Oblivion:

hes worried that it would be simplified. its nothing to do with the game being "good" or "bad"

It isn't complete opinion. Mass Effect sold very well, has been nominated for awards, and been reviewed on average quite good. Just because outliers exist doesn't mean the average doesn't exist too.

They did simplify some of Mass Effect when making Mass Effect 2. But that is rather beside the point of its critical and broad acclaim.

Dectilon:

SageRuffin:

No, you will always have that beard. Even if you play as a woman. It's canon you see.

Eh, I'll roll with it.

Onyx Oblivion:

What one might call over-simplicity, others might call smoothing out the game. I hated the inventory management in Mass Effect, and it needed changing a lot (speaking as a reluctant 360 Mass Effect player- I wanted to play it on PC, but wasn't aware it was getting ported and my rig couldn't handle it anyway), but BioWare did go too far in ME2 by swinging to the opposite end of the spectrum.

To me, DA II looks like the bomb. The combat looks really top-notch, I just hope they haven't let up on the games length and storytelling.

As long as I can still play it old school Baldur's Gate style I'm happy :P

Impressive that they've managed to make it so smooth as well as keeping all the tactical options in place.

Zechnophobe:

mrwoo6:

Zechnophobe:

It isn't complete opinion. Mass Effect sold very well, has been nominated for awards, and been reviewed on average quite good. Just because outliers exist doesn't mean the average doesn't exist too.

They did simplify some of Mass Effect when making Mass Effect 2. But that is rather beside the point of its critical and broad acclaim.

Stop talking nonsense please
Thinking Mass Effect was mediocre is an opinion, don't ever try to fool yourself into thinking otherwise

What is fact however, is that they did simplify the game alot
Whether this is a good or bad change is entirely up to you
Personally for me, turning the game from a more free roam game into shooting galleries wasn't a good change. Still a good game though

Onyx Oblivion:

Pillypill:

Quoted for truth. I've felt the same way ever since this game was revealed.

OT: A system like this sounds good on paper but it will difficult to balance. I'll just wait and see how they handle it.

That's sick as hell man, anyone who still thinks they ruined the series(if it can be called that) forever is a lunatic.

I'm now officially pumped for this game.

The only improvement I care about is to the extremely boring way quests were presented in the first game and the overly linear and boring dungeons.

Let's just hope they don't ME2 it.

so you can't costumize the character darn, but aside from that the combat looks awesome :)

EDIT: I think you can costumize, they just cut the costumization bit out me thinks.

Cingal:

Pardon my ignorance lol, (I don't have an xbox so I've never really had the chance to play ME2) I keep hearing people say that BW buggered it up or something, what exactly did they do?? Was it very different from the first one??

That looks alright. Although the bit cartoonish jumping around and hasty pace doesn't appeal to me. I just might give the action RPG -style more of a try. In DA:O the easy setting (on PC) could already be played quite like an action RPG; it's just massively easier compared to medium difficulty, so you don't need to pause the game and think what you're doing so much.

I don't like that you can only play as Hawke. I don't mind if my character doesn't have a voice. I much more appreciate if I can decide his appearence myself.

And if it's going to be much more streamlined, simple and console-like than DA:O, then just fuck it.

LivingInTheSixties:

Cingal:

Pardon my ignorance lol, (I don't have an xbox so I've never really had the chance to play ME2) I keep hearing people say that BW buggered it up or something, what exactly did they do?? Was it very different from the first one??

I can't speak for everyone, but, I feel like, rather than focusing on RPG elements for ME2, they instead focused on making the game more palatable for people coming from shooters.

The problem I have with this is that, I don't buy Bioware games because I want an action shooter, I buy them because I want a good RPG with a good storyline, and I just felt that ME2 was a shooter with RPG elements, rather than the other way around.

Stuff like, rather than fixing the inventory system, just completely removing all weapons from the game, all armour and all upgrades, and instead, not having any armour at all, having 2-3 weapons per weapon type and having some of the upgrades be replaced by skills kinda killed it for me.

LivingInTheSixties:

Cingal:

They turned it into a 3rd person shooter with upgradeable class abilities. Everyone is proficient in 2 types of weapons (except the main char), every weapon type has 3-4 weapons (more with DLC) with the later ones being slightly better but mostly operating differently from the first one. For example, the first rifle is a standard full-auto assault rifle, the second is a more accurate 3-shot-bursts rifle, the third is a high-ammo-capacity machinegun, a DLC weapon is a very accurate semi-auto "battle rifle" of sorts, etc. So it's less linear progression and more diversity and strategic choice.

Basically, what shooters, not RPGs, rely on. And it's one of the finest, smoothest and most balanced shooter gameplays I've ever played, with upgradeable abilities making a significant impact, but mostly relying on skill and squad tactics. So, a damn fine shooter with 50 hours of gameplay.

I personally do not like what they did in this video. The action-RPG stuff looks rather boring. As if they tried to make a God-of-War mode and it turned out like an MMORPG. How do they expect one to use a character's average of 10-15 abilities? Do we have to mash 1-10 while we're moving and slashing real-time? Or will they designate just one button for "ability" and you have to cycle through abilities on it like in Oblivion? It's like an admission of "our typical combat is boring, so as to not put you through another Orzammar, we'll add this speed-mode so that you don't fall asleep when fighting regular goons."

For the record, I liked both ME2 and DAO, and I liked DAO more because its main story wasn't an insert-coin-to-receive-dialogue-dump-from-NPC-jukebox-at-regular-intervals game. But ME2 has an incredibly engaging gameplay (when compared to the combat in ME1, which was HORRID), and I wouldn't fault DA2 if they made the entire game a GoW clone with levels and abilities.

Then again, the canon/voiced protagonist thing was really uncalled for. See how many people think their Shepard is the best character in ME2. On the other hand, I loved my character in DAO, because I could imagine a lot of what made him. And it sure helped that the game didn't have that stupid conversation wheel.

EDIT:

Cingal:

LivingInTheSixties:

Cingal:

I can't speak for everyone, but, I feel like, rather than focusing on RPG elements for ME2, they instead focused on making the game more palatable for people coming from shooters.

The problem I have with this is that, I don't buy Bioware games because I want an action shooter, I buy them because I want a good RPG with a good storyline, and I just felt that ME2 was a shooter with RPG elements, rather than the other way around.

Stuff like, rather than fixing the inventory system, just completely removing all weapons from the game, all armour and all upgrades, and instead, not having any armour at all, having 2-3 weapons per weapon type and having some of the upgrades be replaced by skills kinda killed it for me.

Aww, come on, it's still a fantastic shooter! And one with two weeks of gameplay and the best-written characters in existance! If it was coming from Treyarch and marketed as "try out this new shooter of ours", people would go "HOLY SHIT this is like twenty typical shooters all packed into one and with better story and world-building than all modern FPSs combined!". Alas, it's a BioWare title so people approach it with a different perspective.

Well, okay, I should say "best characters and world-building than etc. etc.", since I thought the main plot of ME2 was pure recycled bullshit. They wasted the middle of a pre-planned trilogy on an inconsequential episode that starts and ends in a status-quo. That's Star-Trek-Voyager levels of bad writing.

But yes, complexity is welcome when it adds something to the game. The inventory system in ME1 was one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure to use, as are the skills in DAO (who the hell uses herbalism and extra tactics when you have to buy persuasion on your main anyway?!), and the MMO-like ability toolbar. Sometimes less is more, especially if the more is so unwieldy it takes you right out of the experience.

Also, did anyone think that the game looks... well, extremely bad in this video? I mean look at it, same dull grey and black palette, enemies looking like indistinguishable brown-black silhouettes, jarring character animations...

Onyx Oblivion:

Pillypill:

I admit I didn't like how minimal ME2 became, but mass effect's combat system was difficult and slow, in need of re-tuning. Now having read Susan Ardnt's (is that how it's spelt?) Dragon age 2 preview I'm more sure than ever that bioware is taking Dragon age in the right direction.

But yeah, i can blame sceptics for their rushly made decisions. Not that it's anything to be ashamed of, but I don't like it when people stab at something I enjoy before much info has been released about it.

Looks good,but one thing confuses me, surely the whole point of tactical combat that needs micro managing in party based RPGs like Baldurs gate and Dragon age origins is the game is hard and if you do not manage the fight carefully your party will get killed. Now if the game is easy enough that you can just run in and play it like an action RPG then having the option to play it tactical and cautious is meaningless and unsatisfying because you dont have to to succeed. That style of combat is only fun if the game is truely challenging.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here